Status: Contains violence and strong language

Darkness Depths

Trouble in the Clouds

“How are we going to take Lugnut? I don’t think he’ll fit in the trunk of your cycle, and I feel like he’ll be too heavy…” Juliet noticed as the three were preparing to take off to the airship ports.
“Ah, but you don’t know about what his legs do! Hey Lugs, click your heels twice. But do it on the takeoff pad.” Jess directed, smiling her secretive smile.
Lugnut stepped outside, and then clicked his heels. Instantaneously, boosters appeared from the underside of his feet, and Lugnut began hovering off the ground.
“Tada, look who can fly!” Jess showed off to Juliet.
“My God! That’s so amazing!” Juliet gazed in amazement.
“If you’re wondering about how you’ll learn to fly, Lugnut, you won’t need to. I tweaked around and you’re officially capable of flying like the best of us. But don’t think you can fly forever. That furnace you have in your chest? You need to fill that up. Good news is, it’ll take anything and make that fuel. I couldn’t remake your legs to run on what my aircycle does, but it still works great.”
Lugnut began twirling around in the air, zipping speedily across the blue sky. Juliet then appeared next to him, following him on her steam-board. The two flew around in circles, Juliet excited as ever. Her happiness was at its peak, and was as if nothing could bring her down. Her robotic companion is better than she ever could have hoped, and she was headed on the adventure of a lifetime. She has made fantastic new friends, and will be able to make a name for herself. For Juliet, nothing could go wrong.
“You two, let’s get going! The airship leaves in twenty minutes!” Jess called out as she readied her aircycle.
“Alright Lugs, let’s get going.” Juliet instructed.

. . .

The three touched down at the ports outside of the Grey Quarter. Dozens of airships were taking off or landing, dropping off or shipping away. It was like clockwork to Juliet.
Juliet, Jess, and Lugnut treaded to Ms. Wilson’s personal airship, which was in a dock all its own. It was an amazing sight to see. The airship was pure white with cool black details. It was long with angel-wing like fins. Engines at the back were slick metallic silver, cutting-edge technology. It bore little resemblance to the other, zeppelin-like airships. The airship’s passenger and crew carriage was inside the ship, rather than on the belly of a blimp. Windows dotted the side, and Ms. Wilson’s family crest, a black eagle with a red beak, was proudly displayed on the front. The engines are capable of moving vertically or horizontally, allowing for any kind of take-off.
Ms. Wilson and the other members of the team stood awaiting for Juliet and Jess, conversing amongst themselves. Ms. Wilson turned and noticed the three approaching.
“Ah, there you two are. Glad you came early. Now all we need is Mr. Okoro. What, may I ask, is this?” Ms. Wilson detected Lugnut, curious in discovering his identity.
“Oh! This is my robot, Lugnut. Jess fixed him up for me earlier, and made him look like this. Just last night he was just a box of junk.” Juliet explained.
“Excuse you, I was more than junk.” Lugnut retorted stoically.
“Interesting. I’m sure it will be valuable to our team. I believe I see Mr. Okoro now.”
Abioye carried his large luggage bag over his right shoulder, the side with the mechanical arm. He joined with the group, giving a quick glare to the mercenary. The mercenary returned the look with equal hatred.
“Sorry I’m late. Got caught up in the traffic. Some of us don’t exactly have death machines that can weave through everything.” Abioye badgered Jess and Juliet lightheartedly.
“It’s fine, you’ve still made it on time. Everyone get onboard. Clairette, get to the driver’s wheel. Take off is in fifteen. We’ll be reaching South Africa in about 11 hours. Don’t get too comfortable. We’ll be having dinner at 7. Once we reach South Africa, we’ll immediately get on the submarine, then get on our merry way.” Ms. Wilson explained militarily.
The team cheered in unison and walked into the airship, some more excited than others. Once everyone was inside, the walkway was removed from the door, and the door was sealed.
The interior of the ship was another sight to behold. Everything had the rich and expensive feel, as no expense was spared. There were plenty of rooms for different things, yet they all managed to fit inside of the airship, divided into two floors. Despite all of this, the airship managed to look as lean and agile as possible, which was a feat in its own right. The washrooms and sleeping areas were on the top floor, as well as the navigation deck, while the kitchen, dining room, and technical rooms were on the lower decks.
Ms. Wilson directed the members of the team to the navigation room, which would double as a meeting room when they’re in the air. Afterwards, Ms. Wilson informed them to the location of their designated sleeping areas.
“We don’t need you all fraternizing, so I took the liberty of separating everyone by gender.” Ms. Wilson declared.
“I don’t think you’ll have anything to worry about, Miss. Juliet’s 19, Clairette is going to be driving, and I happen to be a lesbian.” Jess countered, gutsily.
“Lesbian?” Ms. Wilson questioned, seemingly uncomfortable by this declaration.
“Take that thought out of your mind, you aren’t my type.”
Jess and the others went to their beds and stuffed their luggage into cabinets for the flight. The airship then shook, letting out a slight groan. It lifted off the floor of the hangar, and slowly jerked forward. The denizens of the ship stumbled forward, but caught themselves before falling. Clairette was getting the feel of the controls, and in an instant, learned all she needed.
“These are pretty standard fare when it comes to controls. Nothing difficult, but can be manipulated in many ways to my liking. Good work.” Clairette commented as she pushed the levers forward.
“But…I’ve had pilots take multiple classes to learn how to…” Ms. Wilson stammered in confusion.
“I’m the best driver there is! Isn’t that why you hired me?”
“This is true. Keep up the good work then.”
The airship exited the hangar slowly. Clairette expertly moved the levers forward, increasing the speed exponentially. Once she got the clearance to leave the port, she let on the throttle, rapidly moving the airship away.
Juliet looked out a window and saw Golden City steadily shrinking, as the distance between her and the flying city increased every second. The grand journey was starting, and it could only get more enthralling from this point on.

. . .

Each member of the team, except the mercenary, sat at the table, eating all the fine cuisine provided by Ms. Wilson’s team of cooks. They chatted and conversed as they ate away, filling their stomachs as much as possible.
“And there I was, scaling the mountain side with one of the most precious gems ever found in my hand, and an avalanche comes my way. I had to react quickly, so I used this wooden plank and slid down the face of the mountain. It was intense, adrenaline inducing. The avalanche was a mere ten feet away from my head. I dodged trees, rocks, even cabins on my way down…” Ms. Wilson detailed an adventure of hers to the group.
“You don’t believe this broad, do you?” Jess whispered to the fixated Juliet.
“Huh? No of course not….How’d you escape?” Juliet asked Ms. Wilson, more than eager for the answer.
“I fell off a cliff!”
The members at the table stopped their eating and stared at the smirking rich woman.
“Of course, I landed on the other side of the chasm, rather than down it. My life flashed before my eyes. But it was utterly amazing.”
“The probability of survival for such an event is virtually zero!” Jacob exclaimed in wonder.
“I don’t live my life on odds and mathematics, Mr. Lincoln. I’m sure you’ll understand.” Ms. Wilson declared assertively.
Unexpectedly, the airship shook violently. A loud explosion was then heard outside of the ship, shaking it more.
“Was that the ship?!” Abioye asked angrily.
“No, it was outside, but something’s going on.” Clairette informed as she rapidly exited her seat.
“Everyone to the bridge. We need to see what’s going on.” Juliet commanded as she stood from her seat as well.
The rest followed in pursuit of Clairette and Juliet, running up to the navigation room.
“YOU ARE IN UNRESTRICTED AIRSPACE. YOU HAVE ENTERED SANCTUARY AIRSPACE. INFORM OF YOUR PURPOSE OR YOU WILL BE SHOT DOWN.” A voice using a speaking-trumpet warned.
“Sanctuary? They’re supposed to be over the far end of Asia. What are they doing out here?” Clairette mumbled to herself as she took the wheel of the ship. A radio microphone dropped from the ceiling and into the pilot’s gloved hand.
“We are requesting peaceful passage through your airspace. We are headed to South Africa. I repeat, we are requesting peaceful passage.” Clairette requested sternly.
“CAN’T LET YOU DO THAT, DEARY. SANCTUARY DOESN’T ALLOW SAFE PASSAGE.”
In an instant, more quakes shook the ship, and Ms. Wilson opened a window and looked out to see several fast moving airships run by anarchists. Rapid-fire bullets peppered the area around Ms. Wilson’s airship.
“Everyone get on a gun, we’ve got incoming!” Ms. Wilson demanded as she activated the alarms.
“Guns? Where are they?” Abioye asked.
“Up top. Extra floor. Little cramped until the guns are ready. There’s two more guns on the bottom floor. We need at least two on the top guns and two on the bottom.”
“I’ve got top.” Abioye declared.
“I’ll go with you. Jess, you get the bottom with Juliet.”
“Hold on, is there a way we can get Lugnut out on top of the airship?” Jess questioned, plan up her sleeve.
“Yes, follow me. Juliet, get down on one of the guns. Now!”
Juliet reluctantly complied and ran down stairs. She wondered what else Jess did to Lugnut, and why she needed him to be outside of the ship.
The young lady soon found where the guns were, and saw that they required her to strap herself in several spots. She sat down, and commenced strapping her feet, legs, and hips. She threw on the harness and attached that, and looked at the panel to the large artillery weapon. A red button glowed, and Juliet pressed it down. To her right, the wall slid open, revealing the open air. The artillery gun exited out, Juliet along with it. The lady put on her goggles, and began learning the controls to the massive weapon.
Juliet aimed using the sights on the gun, and clicked and held the triggers, causing the guns to fire off bolts of artillery fire. A few of her shots missed, but one made contact. The enemy airship’s wing burst into flames, and started spiraling out of control. Juliet gasped, astonished at what she had just done. She couldn’t wrap her mind around how she just took a life, regardless of how it threatened her and her comrades. She pushed these thoughts and the growing guilt aside and continued firing at any and all she could fire at.
On top of the ship was Lugnut and Jess. Jess had a rope tied around her waist, to prevent from her being blown off the airship by the rushing winds.
“Okay Lugs, here’s what’s going to happen. You see those guys shooting at us over there? That Juliet is boldly firing at, it seems?” Juliet hollered over the winds. Lugnut nodded his head in understanding.
“I want you to fly over, and I want you to help take them out. You’ve got built in weapons in your arms and shoulders. If you need to fuel up, use parts from their ships. Do you…ah shit!” A bolt from the enemy collided next to Jess and Lugnut, scratching the armor to their airship.
“That was too close. Okay, now all you have to do is activate the weapons system with that robot mind of yours. And don’t worry about ammunition! It’ll refill with less powerful electric bolts! And remember to fly!”
“Weapons systems, activated. Thrusters, on.” Lugnut’s programming detailed. The robot then blasted off, weapons beginning to transform from his hands. Shortly, Lugnut’s arms were either experimental ray guns or Gatling revolvers, with added blades for melee combat. As soon as the enemy was within range, Lugnut open fired. Multiple airships were belted with ray blasts or physical bullets, triggering explosions in the airships.
Juliet watched as she saw Lugnut mowing down the enemy with his new weaponry. She was both afraid and mesmerized.
“Lugs is a badass now.” She said to herself as she discontinued firing her gun.
“Awesome, isn’t it?” Jess called out as she was strapping herself into her gun.
Juliet nodded and turned back to the fray. She squinted to see more airships coming from the moderately distant Sanctuary.
“There’s more of ‘em! Incoming!” Juliet shouted, firing her artillery gun.
“Nothing we can’t handle, love!” Jess laughed back.
Over at the enemy, Lugnut flew through the ships, showing no mercy. He flew onto an airship, directly in front of an enemy pilot. The pilot roared, firing his pistol at the metal man. The bullet bounced off of Lugnut, the robot letting out a chuckle.
“My turn.” Lugnut blasted the anarchist’s head off with the ray gun, making a hole in the airship. Lugnut flew off, toward another flying machine. As he was close, he used the blade attachments and shredded the vehicle into pieces, pilot with it.
“Too easy.” Lugnut muttered, satisfied of his multiple kills.
“Oi, that robot is taking out a lot of them!” Abioye commented above the roar of weapon fire.
“Yeah but he’s not enough! We’ve got more coming! Where the fuck is Anthony?” Miss Wilson bellowed.
They fired their blasters and destroyed as many ships as they could. They distanced themselves further and further from Sanctuary, but still the radicals were in hot pursuit.
Flares were suddenly shot from the team’s airship, and on the very top, where Lugnut launched from, Anthony wielded a large machine running on cogs. He loaded it up, and fired again, releasing four more flare-like ammunition. The flares floated in the air, drawing close to the enemy aircrafts. The second they attached themselves, they exploded. Simultaneously, airships burst into fiery pieces, evening out the odds instantly.
“Who did…who the hell did that?!” Juliet freaked, worried that one of the flares may hit Lugnut.
The remaining enemies’ airships began turning around, retreating from battle.
“Well, ladies and gents, we scared the pussies off. Excellent work.” Clairette congratulated.
“Phew. We did a pretty good job. Lousy Rebels. Why on Earth would they randomly attack us?” Juliet pondered as the artillery gun reentered the airship.
“No clue. They have been in turmoil since that failed coup. Then again, maybe it didn’t fail.” Jess theorized. “But it doesn’t matter, we scared them off. We’re safe now. Smooth sailing ahead, eh?
Lugnut flew back to the airship, landing on the top of the flying vehicle.
“Weapons mode, deactivated” Lugnut walked back into the ship, casually passing the mercenary.
The team rejoined on the bridge as the sun set on the horizon. Everyone looked at each other until Ms. Wilson spoke up.
“As…unexpected as that was, I’m proud of you all for handling it expertly. Anthony, I take it you were the one who did that thing at the end?” She looked at the mercenary who was silent up until now.
“Yeah, it was me. Needed to get them off our asses. Clairette was doing a good job dodging everything, but it wasn’t enough.” He grumbled.
The team then fell into a silence, but then an idea popped into Juliet’s head.
“Why don’t we lighten things up? Let’s give the ship a name!” She suggested enthusiastically.
“That’ll give this bird some personality!” Clairette agreed as she flew the ship.
“What do you have in mind, Stonebridge?” Abioye wondered, smiling at the suggestion.
“Well, it is Ms. Wilson’s ship. She has first rights to name-calling.”
“I never gave thought to trivial matters. You may come up with a name. I’ll be headed to the showers.” Ms. Wilson walked off, the mercenary not long after.
“What do you guys think we should name the ship? It seems Ms. Wilson has a stick up her ass and won’t name her own ship.” Juliet groaned in annoyance.
“I have things to do. Ms. Wilson is right in calling this trivial.” Jacob insulted as he left the room.
“….Dick.”
“Don’t worry about them, love! We’ll come up with a name, you, me, Abioye, Lugs, and Clairette!” Jess encouraged. “How ‘bout it, Clairette?”
“I’m in favor! Why not the Eagle?” Clairette proposed.
“No, too boring. Why not…the White Star?” Juliet recommended.
“Aye, I like that one!” Abioye chuckled as he petted Juliet.
“I can’t think of anything better. I still like Eagle though…” Clairette trailed off.
“Then it’s settled, we’re officially sailing in the White Star!” Juliet cheered.