Sequel: I Won't Give Up
Status: Active Updates

That's Hockey, Baby

Chapter 1

"Dad, I'm absolutely positive. I already have a suite rented at the Trump and I'm boarding my flight right now. Love you, see you soon…..okay bye", I said, throwing my phone into my purse.

The flight from New York to Chicago wasn't long, but it was one of the worst in terms of turbulence. The plane landed in Chicago at 4pm and I quickly found my luggage and headed to the car area, to hail a cab.

Living in New York since I was 19, I learned how to call cabs rather quickly. I gave the driver the address to the Trump Towers.

The ride from Midway airport to my new home was about 40 minutes, thanks to Chicago traffic.

I looked out the window most of the ride, taking in my new and old home.

I grew up in Chicago, and attended a performing arts school right downtown. After high school, I moved to New York to attend Juliard College on a dance scholarship.

As an only child, my dad took my moving to the east coast tough. My mother died after my birth so it was always me and my father. Or me, my father, and his hockey team.

I grew up around hockey. My dad was the goalie for the Chicago Blackhawks until 1985. After taking a break from Hockey, he then went on to be the manager of the team.

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2011. In the early stages, the doctors were sure that with numerous trials of chemo, he could win the battle. As time went on, the doctors realized the cancer was much more aggressive than they had originally thought. 2 years after being diagnosed, he still suffers with cancer, but he decided to be taken off of his meds.

The chemo and medication was just wearing him out, and my dad found he had little time for his team. And if the cancer was going to take him, he wanted to go happy and spend the time he had left doing what he loved, not stuck in a hospital bed.

"52.35", the cab driver said, breaking me of my thoughts. I nodded and quickly fished into my purse for some money. I handed him the bills plus tip and jumped out of the cab.

I walked into my suite and quickly unpacked then texted my dad to let him know I landed.

Landed around an hour ago, just finished unpacking. Where are you? Want to see my favorite guy!

Shortly after I pressed send, my phone buzzed with a new text

UC! come by!

Where else would you be, I smiled to myself. My dad was so passionate about hockey and his team; if he could spend every minute of his life at the rink, he undoubtedly would.

I quickly changed from my sweat pants into a pair of black jeans and a nice shirt, knowing my dad would probably want to get dinner after practice. http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=89567149

Catching a cab in the city was a bit harder than it was in Midway, but I still managed to get one within 5 minutes. It was November and not quite tourist season yet, so the city was pretty quiet. I arrived at the United Center in no time and ran in to greet my father.

The last time I was with my dad at practice was 4 years ago when I was 17.

As I entered the arena I surprised myself by still knowing where everything was. I peeked into the arena to see guys skating around and knew my dad was down there.

I quietly ran down the stairs to greet him, except he was on the ice surrounded by dozens of guys skating fast.

Always have to be difficult, I sighed to myself as I opened the gate to get onto the ice.

I got a few confused glances from distracted players, but urged them to be quiet by putting my finger to my lips and whispering shh.

I clumsily ran to my dad on ice, making sure to not slip. Once I got close enough, I wrapped my arms around his big body from the back.

"Who the hell", my dad started to say as he turned to face me.

Now the whole team was watching us.

"Ella", my dad yelled as he pulled me in for a bear hug. I laughed and squirmed out of his arms.

"You're squishing me".

"You grew up so much El", my dad said looking at me, I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Well I'm glad".

"BACK TO WORK I NEVER SAID BREAK", my dad yelled as he skated towards the seats with me.

"How are you", I asked as we sat down. "I have my good and bad days", he said honestly, still watching the boys skate. I nodded and followed his gaze.

"How many people here do I know", I asked curiously.

"Well Tazer and Kane, they've came a long way", my dad said proudly, "And Sharp and Keith are still here and Seabs", he pointed to the ice.

I narrowed my eyes at the mention of Patrick Kane.

I met him when I was 17 at a draft party, he's three years older then me but always acted like he was 10 years older. I met him at the draft party and he dropped spaghetti all over my light pink dress. We basically hated each other ever since.

"When you met Sharp and Keith you were a bratty 15 year old, I'm sure they'll love to see how you've grown up. And I hope you left the little kid stuff with Patrick behind", he said, I lightly hit him on the shoulder, ignoring his statement about Patrick Kane, "I was never a bratty teenager".

We made casual small talk for 15 minutes until he called an end to their scrimmage.

"TEAM", my dad shouted towards the ice and the players all skated towards us.

" meet my daughter, Ella", my dad said putting his hand on my shoulder.

I looked through the sea of faces, some looking familiar and some not.

"The first time we met her she was crying about not being able to go to a party", one said laughing.

Of course. My dad had dragged me to a practice with him one night. It was the night before Marty Evanstons party of the year and I was throwing a temper tantrum because my dad wasn't going to budge and let me go because I had dance practice. He then introduced me to two players who told me that 5 years from then, I'm going to be more thankful that I worked towards my dream then went to a stupid party.

"You were right, with your advice you told me that day", I smiled, "I got into Julliard on a scholarship for dance".

"We know, Roger brags about you all the time. I'm not sure you remember names, but I'm Duncan Keith", one of the guys said shaking my hand.

"I'm hurt you don't remember me, but Patrick", the other one said and I laughed, "I remember both of you, I'm just bad with names".

"Ok Ell, I'm gonna go make sure every things clean in the locker room and I'll meet you up here in 10 minutes. Cheescake factory outfit?", my dad asked and I nodded excitedly.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story:) I updated this earlier actually but I deleted it soon after to make a few adjustments but here it is again! Let me know what you think, I know its only the first chapter and there's not much going on yet, but I still would love to hear what you think! And if you like it don't forget to subscribe and recommend!