‹ Prequel: Strong Enough
Status: Sequel! Slowly developing the idea, please be patient. You're awesome!

Good Enough

Lost In You

*Jax's POV*

“You’re late.”

“I’m also not technically employed, and I’m your daughter.” Hoping out of the car, I moved to hug my dad. “And it’s only an hour. That’s damn good for me!”

“It’s a good thing I love you. Pain in the ass.” He moved to let me pet Cooper, who was waiting rather patiently for my attention.

“I heard that!”

I moved down the path to the stables, Cooper panting faithfully at my heels.

“Farm boy!” I called through the stables before Westley’s head popped out from one of the stalls.

“You do realize I’m not a farm boy, right?”

“You’re my farm boy.” I smiled and poked his nose to which he grimaced. I liked Westley. He was like a little brother to me. Never mind the fact that he was three years older. “Plus, your name is Westley. How can I not?”

“As you wish.” He gave me a mock bow before returning to mucking out the stall he was in.

“Oh, my sweet Westley!” I continued my Princess Bride charade as I moved to Gadget’s stall. I’d spend a good deal of time in the stables with Wes unless Dad really needed me somewhere else. “How is she this morning?”

“Stubborn as usual. I refilled her water and I thought she might attack me. Ever since you got back, she’s been pickier than normal. Only wants you.”

“She knows she deserves the best.” I pulled the stall door open and moved to pet her nose before grabbing a brush and brushing her out.

“Does your dad need you today? Or are you hanging with the horses today?”

“I have to do my daily ride to check the fences, but unless I hear otherwise I’ll be back here when I’m done.”

I finished brushing Gadget and picked her hooves before Wes brought me a saddle and bridle. It didn’t take long before I was on her back enjoying the wind through my hair. A happy Cooper sent me a happy bark as I kicked Gadget into motion.

The morning ride around the ranch was always a nice time for me. It’s something I’d done when I was younger and in the last two weeks, I remembered just how much I loved it. This was my time to stop thinking and just enjoy the sense of freedom. Gadget knew the path we’d take, so I barely had to direct her at all and Cooper would simply run nearby, barking at squirrels or pigeons.

The ride took a half hour every morning unless I found something, which rarely happened unless there was a storm. So while watching the fence and the surrounding areas, I would let my mind forget about whatever was troubling it. I didn’t have to worry about finding a job or how my new relationship was going to work out. I was completely free.

Once the ride was over, I guided Gadget over to the corral near the stables. I took off the bridle and the saddle and let her run free. Taking everything with me back to the stables, I put it away and grabbed a shovel to begin mucking out her stall.

I smiled as I passed Westley who was finishing up the last stall on the left. I hummed gently to myself, a song I couldn’t remember the name of, and moved around the stall.

Unfortunately, the carefree mindset from my morning ride didn’t have a lasting effect and immediately my thoughts began to jumble.

Last night had been a good night. I’d spent most of it dancing with Mia. When I would catch Bryden’s eye, he always smiled, but there was something that never quite reached his eyes. I couldn’t tell what it was though.

I’d asked Mia, but she shrugged it off saying he was worrying about the single. Knowing she wouldn’t like if I lingered on it, I smiled and dropped the subject, but I knew it was more than just that.

At the end of the night, Tommy, who was somehow still sober, drove us all back home. Dropping Mia and I off, Bryden walked me to the door while Tommy said his goodbyes in the car. It was an awkward arrangement, but it worked for now.

“You’ve had something on your mind all night.” I stood in his arms on the front porch playing with a lock of hair at the base of his neck.

“It’s nothing. I’m just stressed.”

“You know, you can tell me what it is.”

“Of course, but there’s nothing to tell.”

I knew he wasn’t being completely honest, but I didn’t push the subject. We were both near drunk and now was not the time for a serious conversation.

Placing a kiss on his lips, I said goodnight. Though he wanted more than a gentle goodnight kiss. He pulled me back to him, pressing his lips to mine in a passionate kiss. His tongue teased mine and he held me like I would vanish if he let me go.

“I love you, Jax.”

“I know. I love you too.”


Why wouldn’t he tell me what was on his mind? Was it about me? Did I do something wrong?

I wouldn’t be surprised if I had. I’d spent the last five year of my life ruining any illusion of a relationship I had. Though I wouldn’t call any of the encounters relationships, really. But any chance I might have had at a relationship, I messed up. Every time.

This time, I was trying so hard to do things right. I mean, if I can’t make it work with the man of my dreams, then how would I ever make it work with anyone?

“You know, I don’t know how much cleaner this stall could get.” I shipped around and came face to face with Wes.

“You scared the shit out of me.” I pressed a hand to my fiercely beating heart.

“I didn’t realize you were off in your own world. What’s eating you?”

“Nothing. I was just thinking.” I shook it off, finishing with the stall before moving out to begin another.

“I know we don’t know each other super well, but I’m a good listener if you need to talk.”

“I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks.”

Moving on with the work, we finished the stalls in mutual quietness, the only sounds were my humming and the scraping of shovels. I left my thoughts behind me as best I could. Easier said than done.

After cleaning out the stalls, we proceeded to brush the horses that weren’t being ridden already. After all, horses needed exercise.

Around noon we’d finished with everything and I was placing Gadget back in her stall when my phone went off.

“Speak or forever hold your peace.”

“Uh, hello to you too?” Bryden’s voice filled my ear.

“You’d think by now, you wouldn’t expect a hello.”

“Well, whether I get a hello or not, I still love hearing your voice.”

“Cheese ball. What’s up?”

“I was wondering if you’d like to go to dinner tonight. I need a quiet night and I figured why not dinner and a night in with you?”

“That sounds great. This isn’t like a fancy, I-have-to-wear-a-dress kind of night, right?”

“No, just a quiet, casual night. I’ll pick you up at 6:30?”

“I’ll be ready.”

I hung up the phone and followed Wes up to the ranch house where everyone was already eating lunch. I left once lunch was finished, Dad told me the day would be pretty quiet and thanked me for my help.

Moving to the car, I decided tonight would be a good night to really talk to Bryden. I wanted to know what he’d been thinking about last night, and I was going to find out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 4 my dears!
Tell me what's on your mind!
Love to alrightwell for the comment!
~Tracicita~