Not With Haste

The End of Mrs. Alvarado

“And I . . .” she hesitated. Could she do it? Could she actually ask him to do what she’d deemed unfathomable, only a short while earlier? “. . . I want seventeen thousand dollars for the emotional injuries sustained by my person.”

There was something manic in her look, in her tone, but despite the obvious emotional instability, Walter could not help but rejoice. He had just been given free reign to attack Oscar as he saw fit, and the ruthless lawyer in him was excited at the prospect. He’d been holding back on his abilities the entire time, giving Oscar and his attorney a false sense of security. The two men believed themselves to be the equal of Walter and Verena, but now that Walter had been given the go ahead, he was going to show Oscar and his attorney what he was capable of. He was going to destroy him in the courtroom, ruin his reputation, and leave him in financial distress. Perhaps to other attorneys, that might have seemed like a bit much. Those attorneys were simply satisfied with coming to an understanding for a divorce, to getting most of what they wanted, but still reaching across the table to compromise, but Walter wasn’t like that. He took and he took and he took, until the person he was suing, had nothing left to give. That was why he’d been able to secure $275 million dollars to a Beverly Hills housewife whose husband of twenty-seven years had left her for their tennis instructor. He had ruined that man, made him a joke in the community. It was so bad that not even his fellow adulterers wanted anything to do with him. He was shunned from the society that he had been a member of for so many years, and that was done by the masterful work of Walter. That was why, from that point forward, whenever highly wealthy couples got divorced, the one with more money to lose, sought him out first.

And now he was going to use his abilities to secure his close friend an ample divorce settlement. It didn’t matter that Oscar was nowhere near as wealthy as the millionaires that Walter normally took from, what mattered was the fact that Oscar had been an idiot that challenged Verena and Walter to court. And that idiotic decision was going to cost him dearly. Walter was determined to get half of the house, he was going to get half of what was in the joint bank account that had been frozen at the beginning of the divorce proceedings, and he was going to get Verena those seventeen thousand dollars on top of the money that she’d contributed to their wedding.

“Consider it done,” spoke Walter, and he said it with such certainty that Verena truly considered the matter settled. “Now, I think it’s time we get you cleaned up, but don’t overdo it. We need part of this present for when we go before the judge.”

“Don’t be an idiot, Walt.” She wiped away some of the tears. “I’m not heading out there looking remotely like this. That fucker’s not gonna have the satisfaction of seeing me –”

“I don’t give a damn if you don’t want that asshole to see you like this,” stated Walter, gruffly.

“Well, I do.” She shot back.

“For fucks sake, Vera!” he bellowed. “Don’t let your pride fuck this up. For once in your life, just keep that damn Faustino Pride in check. Can you do that? Can you do that for one fucking morning? Because I need you to walk into that court room looking a lot like you do not, and once you’re in there, you’re gonna put on the performance of a lifetime for me. You’re gonna devote yourself to your role just like Oscar is. Or do you want him to win because he looks more pathetic than you?”

“Aren’t you supposed to be such an amazing lawyer that you can make people sympathize with frigid bastards?” she retorted.

“I am.” He replied, unfazed by her little outburst. “And I could.”

“Then why don’t you?”

“Because I want him ruined,” he said, casually. “When you walk into that courtroom, I want his heart to break at the sight of you. I want him to hate himself for putting you through this, and I want that hatred to be present on his face for the judge and everyone there, to see.” He reached out, lifting his right hand to her face so that he could wipe away some tears. “If we’re going to ruin him, we’re going to do it right. Is that clear?”

Her pride urged her to rethink Walter’s demands. It didn’t want to give Oscar the satisfaction of seeing her so broken. It didn’t want him to know that even after a six month separation, he still held emotional power over her, but as much as her pride wanted to get put together, her practical side knew that Walter was right. It was in her best interest to appear distressed. It always unnerved Oscar whenever she was sad. He’d get all awkward and try to make her happy. He was like a child really, just working hard to put a smile back on her face. And she knew that Walter’s plan was going to work. Oscar was going to feel like a failure for having put her in that position and she’d reap the benefits of it.

“Fine,” she conceded after a considerable silence. “I’ll do it.”

His features softened. “I know it’s hard, but it’ll be worth it.”

“I know.” She said. “But that doesn’t make it any easier. Now tell me, what time does the trial start?”

“Ten minutes.”

“Ten minutes?” she cried out. “Fucking hell, how long have I been crying?”

“You went off to the restroom well over half an hour ago, that’s why I came looking.”

“I can’t believe I wasted so much fucking time crying. You’d think that after six months, I’d be all cried out, but no, that asshole has a way of getting under my skin and just ruining everything.” She closed her eyes, forcing herself to steady her breathing. “Give me a minute, I’ll fix myself up but still leave enough of this on my face, and then I’ll head over to the courtroom.”

“I can wait in here.” Walter offered.

“I don’t want you to,” she blurted out. “I just . . . I need to be alone right now. And I’m sorry if I’m coming off like a massive bitch, but I really do need this time to myself.”

“Alright then, but don’t take too long.”

“I’ll be there in five minutes.”

“In four,” he told her. “And you better not have cleaned yourself up too much.”

“I won’t,” she promised. “Now get the hell out of here.”

“Fucking Vera,” he said with a small smile. “Alright then, have at it.”

Since he wasn’t one for hugs, he patted her shoulder affectionately and then left the restroom. When Verena heard the door close, she fully emerged from the stall and made her way over to one of the mirrors. Her hair was still impeccably done, it’d been straightened late last night and again in the early morning to ensure that she’d be presentable for the Judge, her outfit didn’t seem as polished as it had when she’d put it on, but it was her face that had undergone the most drastic transformation. The worry lines that she’d accumulated throughout the last six months were on full display, they were deeply etched onto her face, making her appear much older than she actually was. She was grateful that she’d gone with waterproof mascara but some of her eye shadow had run, and she had to clean it up enough to look somewhat presentable before the Judge. She fixed herself up in silence, afraid that if she were to hear the sound of her voice, she’d burst into tears, and when she finished getting ready, she looked deep into the mirror, seeking confirmation in the eyes of the woman staring back at her, and when the exhausted figure morphed back into the determined woman that would see her case won, she gave a short nod and then proceeded out the door.

When she arrived at the courtroom, her family members and friends were already situated in their assigned area. Most of them had either taken the day from work or asked to be scheduled for a later shift. Verena had told them that they didn’t have to do it, that simply giving a sworn deposition would be enough, that they didn’t have to trouble themselves by being physically present in the courtroom to give their testimony, but her loved ones had come through for her. Her mother had taken a personal day at the architecture firm in which she was a partner, her cousins had opted for later shifts, her friends had taken a half day from their respective jobs, and her father had woken much earlier than he accustomed. He was a prime time anchor for Univision that also hosted his own personal late night news program, and instead of getting the rest that he so desperately needed, he woke at dawn to support his daughter.

And Verena was glad to have them there. Their mere presence gave her the strength to enter the courtroom with her head held high. She remained composed and serene as she walked down the aisle. She directed grateful looks towards her loved ones and completely ignored her husband’s relatives. His parents had been nagging at her to give their son another chance. It had gotten so bad that she’d found herself forced to change her cell phone number and to order her secretary not to take any of their calls. And it was a pity, it truly was. She’d genuinely loved Oscar’s family. His parents were very dear to her, but now that her marriage to their son had fallen apart, she wanted nothing to do with them. She couldn’t keep ties with the Alvarado family, and if that made them think she was a bitch, then so be it. She’d be a bitch, but at least she’d be a bitch that was getting her life back together.

“Ready?” Walter asked Verena when she took the seat beside him.

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” she replied. “Do you have the Judgment forms prepared already?”

“Of course I do,” he replied, somewhat offended. “Do you honestly think that I’d prepare three different petitions and not fill out three Judgment forms? You should know me better than that.”

“Don’t sound so offended,” she told him, cracking a faint smile. “I only wanted to make sure. You know how I can be.”

“I know, I know.” He ran his hands along the leather of his briefcase. “You know, this is pretty exciting.”

“Exciting?” Verena arched her brow, questioningly.

“Not the fact that you’re getting a divorce. There’s nothing exciting about that. It’s a solemn thing, that’s what it is, but what I find exhilarating is the fact that I’m representing you,” he hastily explained. “We’re going to destroy that asshole and I’m going to put that attorney of his in their rightful place. That’ll teach them never to go up against a lawyer of my caliber again. They’ll only stick to middle class divorces from here on out.”

“Your ego’s getting the best of you, because last time I checked, this is a middle class divorce,” reminded a somewhat amused Verena.

“Upper middle class divorce,” he corrected. “And it’s far above their capabilities, mind you.”

“You’re such a snob, Walt.” She reached over and placed her hand atop his, giving it a gentle squeeze. “And I’m glad you’re mine. I couldn’t have gone through this with anyone else. So thank you for taking this on.”

“Come on, Vera. You know you don’t have to thank me. You have my back. I’ve got yours.” His eyes darted towards the door and when he saw the bailiff’s eyes dart towards a remote door off to the side, he whispered to Verena, “And it’s show time.”

Shortly thereafter, the bailiff ordered them to rise for the Honorable Judge Nguyen. The Judge entered with her head held high, she had that look that Verena had whenever she entered a meeting, and the manner in which she held herself oozed confidence and power. She was clearly not a person to fuck with. As soon as she was comfortably situated, she called the trial into being, addressing the petitioner and respondent. The trial was scheduled to take no longer than two hours, and she hoped to have it done with within one. There was no need to drag it out. She’d been over the information several times and found it pointless for their case to have been taken before a Judge when it was such an open and shut thing, but it had been placed before her, and it was now her duty to issue a ruling.

“I have in my possession a copy of Mrs. Alvarado’s petition for divorce, in which she states the conditions she is willing to submit to in order too be granted a divorce. I also have in my possession the detailed documentation in which Mr. Alvarado expresses why he believes that his marriage to Mrs. Alvarado is still salvageable. At this point, I must ask if there has been any change in your demands. Have you, Mr. Alvarado, considered any conditions which you would like to have fulfilled in case of a divorce?” inquired Judge Nguyen.

“I have not, Your Honor,” replied Oscar.

“Very well,” stated Judge Nguyen. “And have you, Mrs. Alvarado, made any changes to your petition for divorce?”

“I have, Your Honor.” Verena replied from her place beside Walter. “My attorney has in his possession, the most recent version of my desired conditions for divorce.”

“If that is the case, do approach the bench, Mr. Evans.” Judge Nguyen ordered.

“Certainly, Your Honor.” Walter approached the bench with the file in tow. He dutifully handed it over to the Judge, and then took a step back. “There you will find the updated terms, as well as the revised Judgment form.”

“Very well, Mrs. Evans,” spoke Judge Nguyen. “I shall review the updated conditions and then we may commence the morning’s trial by hearing the opening statements, but before you return to your client, do tell me that you have an additional copy of these conditions for Mr. Alvarado and his legal representation.”

“There are additional copies residing in my briefcase.” Walter replied.

“Then do put one in their possession.” Judge Nguyen stated. “And then be seated.”

Walter did as he was told. He handed an updated version over to Oscar and the attorney, and then returned to his seat beside Verena. He sat there in silence, eyes firmly fixed on the Judge as he waited a response from her. If there was one thing that he was certain of, it was that the new conditions were going to spark the curiosity of the Judge, and sure enough, after having read it through, she lifted her gaze and met Walter’s.

“What is the meaning of this?” she inquired, holding up the file. “This is entirely different to the documentation provided throughout the earlier divorce proceedings.”

“It is, Your Honor,” said Walter.

“Why?” she questioned. “What is the reason behind such a drastic change? My predecessors noted that Mrs. Alvarado was very firm in her decision to relinquish her claim to all the marital assets. Why is she now seeking them?”

“Because her hand has been forced,” replied Walter, calmly. “The only reason she ever relinquished her rights to them was because she wanted to obtain a relatively quick divorce from Mr. Alvarado. She believed that if she went ahead and gave him everything, he would give her the divorce. That was why she was so adamant in her decision. She wanted to spare herself a prolonged public humiliation that would ultimately lead to her being even more emotionally exhausted, but unfortunately for my client, Mr. Alvarado refused the immense concessions that my client was prepared to make. And as a result of that, she has now decided to fight for that which is hers.”

“Very well then,” said Judge Nguyen. “I shall take these conditions into consideration while I deliberate at the end of the trial.”

“Your Honor!” cried Oscar’s attorney, Mr. Cisneros. “These conditions can’t be taken into consideration.”

“They most certainly can,” said the Judge, curtly. “That was the reason I inquired whether or not your client made any changes in his demands.”

“I wasn’t aware –” the attorney rambled on.

“Your incompetence isn’t a valid reason to go against protocol,” she stated. “These conditions will be taken into consideration if I feel that divorce is the necessary course to take at the end of the trial, but we are not yet there, so do hold your composure for the time being.” She set the papers down. “Now, since you were so eager to speak, Mr. Cisneros, you have the floor for the opening statements.”

Despite feeling slighted by the Judge, Mr. Cisneros took to the floor and gave a passionate opening statement in which he painted Oscar as a loving husband who was paying the ultimate price for a moment of weakness. He painted his client as a victim that had fallen prey to the alcohol and charm of his cousin-in-law, and he even went so far as to say that the comportment of Mrs. Alvarado on that night had led Mr. Alvarado to infidelity, because if she hadn’t told him to stay home, he would’ve never cheated. It was, in the manner in which Mr. Cisneros framed it, her fault that her husband had cheated on her. If she’d only let him accompany her on her business trip to New York, they would’ve both been spared the public humiliation, but instead she’s insisted that he remain at home.

Verena found it incredibly difficult to sit through Mr. Cisneros’ opening statements. She wanted nothing more than to tell him to shut the fuck up already, to tell him that he didn’t know what the hell he was talking about, but she couldn’t voice her displeasure. That would’ve incurred the Judge’s wrath, so Verena bit her lip to keep from crying out, and she shook her head in displeasure at the man that was painting her as the cause of the cheating. She couldn’t believe the nerve of him, and she couldn’t wait to watch Walter tear him apart.

And when Walter took the floor, he did just that. He cast aside the opening statement that he’d spent the last few days working on, and went on the offensive. He painted Oscar as the greatest of villains, as a man who had insisted that they be married by the Church and removed from sin, when he’d committed a grave sin of his own. He made Oscar look like a hypocrite, and questioned his character, then, when he finished with that, he spoke about the emotional distress that had been placed on Verena in front of her entire family. He recounted the event; spoke about how everything had been going so right, until it blew up in everyone’s face. He talked about how Verena had assisted her cousin financially and emotionally with her three children. He made Verena seem better than she actually was, and she was grateful for it, because she knew that her character would look better in the eyes of the Judge than Oscar’s.

When the opening statements were made, the floor was cleared for the respective witnesses to take the bench and speak on behalf of their loved one. Each attorney was allowed to speak to the witnesses, and that was the longest hour of Verena’s life. She sat there in silence as Oscar’s parents and siblings took to the bench, talking about how much he was suffering, about how desperately he wanted to make things right with his wife. At one point, Oscar’s mother even cried out to Verena, and beseeched her to give Oscar another chance, but Verena looked away. She couldn’t forgive him. After Oscar’s parents and siblings finished, it was time for Verena’s relatives and friends, and even Leticia’s mother agreed to testify for her niece. It was hard for her to speak badly of her daughter, but she felt it was the right thing to do, the only way to make amends for what had been done.

It was after Leticia’s mother took the stand that a short recess was called, and when they returned from it, Oscar took the stand. Verena had thought she was ready for it, especially after their run in earlier in the day, but she’d been sorely mistaken. Oscar put on the performance of a lifetime in front of the Judge. His pain was felt by everyone in the room, Verena included. There was actually a moment in his testimony where she had to turn her face to discreetly wipe away a tear that had betrayed her. He was talking about when they’d first fallen in love, how he’d been instantly smitten by her and how after twelve years, he loved her more than ever. He spoke eloquently and he looked directly at her as he spoke, and she wanted to wipe away the tears that fell on his cheeks, she wanted to tell him that it’d be alright, that they could work on it, but thankfully for her, her pride was far too stubborn to let her foolish heart betray her.

It kept her in her place, it kept her from speaking out, and when she took the stand, it was in full control. It refused to allow her heart a chance to speak, that damn thing was untrustworthy. So it was her pride that spoke before the Judge. It was her pride that informed everyone of the humiliation that she endured in front of her relatives and friends and coworkers, it spoke of the betrayal of her husband and her cousin, and the deep sense of inadequacy that she felt in the coming days. She spoke of her anger and the depression she fell into, and she didn’t give a fuck if it hurt Oscar to hear her speak in such a manner.

“He keeps thinking that I’m going to change my mind,” she told the court. “He keeps acting like this can be worked on, but I don’t respect him anymore. I don’t trust him. And without trust and respect, how can a marriage continue?” she paused, shifting in her seat. “He doesn’t understand the fact that I can’t share a life with someone that I don’t believe in. His character is ruined in my eyes, and I don’t want anything to do with him anymore. The man that sitting in this court isn’t the man that I fell in love with twelve years ago, he’s not even close. That man would’ve never cheated on me. He even had a chance to at a frat party he went to with his friends, and we’d gotten into this huge fight because I had to go on a mandatory overnight trip on his birthday, and he was furious and his friends kept trying to hook him up with drunk girls, but he refused because he . . .” her voice cracked, and she was crying in front of everyone. She cried for a minute straight until she was able to regain her composure. “He didn’t sleep with them because he loved me. He loved me even though we were fighting, and that’s why I don’t get why he slept with my cousin. That’s why the betrayal is so much worse. Because if he could stay faithful at nineteen, then why couldn’t he at thirty-one?” She covered her face, willing herself to be alright again. “He acts like I’m going to change my mind, Your Honor. But you’ve heard what happened. His own parents have admitted that he slept with my cousin and that I found out about it at the altar. And for some reason, he wants to act like I haven’t given this much thought, but I have, and it pains me to say it, but after twelve years, I’m ready to walk away. I don’t have it in me to try to make things work with him, and I hope that you won’t force me to work on this, because I’m exhausted. I gave him everything I had for twelve years, and I’ve nothing left for him.”

“But you love me,” cried out Oscar.

“Mr. Cisneros, control your client.” Judge Nguyen ordered.

“Oscar, calm down,” hissed Mr. Cisneros. “If you don’t control yourself you’re going to get detained.”

“I don’t care.” Oscar shot back, standing. “Your Honor, please don’t give us a divorce, I know we can work it out. I feel it in my –”

“Mr. Alvarado if you do not retake your seat, I will find myself forced to have your removed from the courthouse.” Judge Nguyen threatened him.

“But –” Oscar protested.

“One more word and you will be removed.” Judge Nguyen was starting to get irritated.

“Be quiet, Oscar.” Verena advised him. “If you’ve no respect for yourself, then at least have some respect for the court.”

He wanted to talk back, but the look in her eyes made it clear that that would’ve been the stupidest thing he could ever do. So he shut his mouth and took his seat, and watched as Walter took the floor for direct examination of Verena, and when Walter finished, Mr. Cisneros took the floor to cross-examine her, to try to get her to admit that she still loved Oscar and could work things out, but her pride was far more clever than he could ever be, and she remained firm.

When Verena left the stand, Judge Nguyen stated that she would take fifteen minutes to deliberate the ruling. Those were the longest fifteen minutes of Verena’s life. She lost herself deep in thought, seriously thinking that the Judge was going to send her to marriage counseling with Oscar. The bastard had put up a performance like no other, his outburst had helped his case, making him seem like he was still very much in love with her, and his tears had moved many. And Verena was afraid that they had even moved the Judge.

“Will Mr. and Mrs. Alvarado arise along with counsel,” spoke Judge Nguyen when she returned. She waited until both parties rose, and then continued, “Madam Clerk, you may publish the verdicts,” he handed the paper over to the middle aged woman that stood before her.

“In the case of Mrs. Alvarado vs. Mr. Alvarado, the court has ruled in favor of a divorce. The marital property, limited to the mutual home and joint bank account, shall be equally divided in half. The home may be placed for sale and the proceeds then divided equally or one party may choose to reside in the home and pay to the other party half of its current market value. The court has ordered that the mutual financial assets be divided evenly, which may be done immediately following the trial, but cannot be postponed further than a thirty day period. As to the financial settlement sought by Mrs. Alvarado for emotional injuries endured, the court has found it necessary to award a ten thousand dollar settlement. In addition to that, Mr. Alvarado is hereby ordered to refund Mrs. Alvarado the full sum she contributed to their wedding preparation. As to the financial settlement, Mr. Alvarado may choose to pay it out at once or a payment plan shall be agreed upon by his legal representation ant that of his former wife. As to Mrs. Alvarado’s petition for change of name, the court has seen fit to grant it. This concludes the verdicts, Mr. Alvarado and Ms. Faustino, approach the bench so that you may sign the Judgment forms.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to get this update out sooner, but I wasn’t able to and I’m sorry about that. I wrote a couple of versions of this, but I wasn’t really feeling any of them until I got to this one. I’m pleased by how its turned out, and a popular question that a few of you’ve been asking is when does Prince Harry make his appearance, and to that, I am going to say that he will either make his into in chapter six or seven. I know it feels like forever until then, but I really want to set Vera up before I bring his gingery ass in. hah. Thanks again for supporting me in this writing endeavor. I really appreciate everyone that has subscribed and commented and recommended! You’re fucking rad!

Thanks so much for your lovely Comments!

yourstruly.
green2envy
Certified!Potterhead
heartbreakisforever
sourskittles
readaholic
limegreenworld
Jayme112234
sugarplumfairy_12
Toxxic.
SkaterGirl.
Pacificgirl