Status: Completed.

Far from Home.

Sometimes, The Pressure Will Just Drive You Crazy.

"I was hunting," Milton cleared his throat,"In the woods, nearby the Haner's household. I got lost, and ended up on the other side of the trees - That's when I saw their girl, Lucy, by the lake. She was sitting by herself on the ground, playing with her doll. She didn't hear me or see me, so I just walked away. But then I started thinking... I'm not sure what provoked me to, but I thought I could take her and bribe her parents. I didn't plan to hurt her at first. So, I went back and I talked to Lucy. I said something like... Hi, little girl. I've lost my hunting dog, will you help me find him?... Of course, I didn't have a hunting dog, but she agreed and came with me."

Emily couldn't believe that after two weeks of hearing the facts and everything else from everyone else, that she was finally able to hear Milton talk. But hearing him recount the scene was slowly breaking her heart.

Brian sat beside her, his hands folded together tightly in his lap.

Today, by total and complete accident, they had somehow matched outfits. Emily wore a simple grey dress that had a circular cut just below her neck, no sleeves, and extended about an inch above her knees. Brian wore a grey suit with a black button up underneath.

With a quiet intake of breathe to attempt and hold herself together a bit longer. According to everyone she had spoken to, today was going to be the day the jury handed out a verdict.

Milton continued to recount what happened,"When I took her to my truck, she immediately tried to run. I think she knew what was happening, which surprised me entirely. So, I grabbed my gun and hit her upside her head with it. She fell into the grass and I picked her up, putting her in the seat of my truck. We got to my house and then I put her in a spare room. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with her - I didn't even know who her parents were, much less her name. So when she woke up, I sat with her and asked her some questions... Like her name, her parents names, and I asked her about her doll, too. She said his name was Jing-No, Jangles.

"And then, when I realized she didn't know how to get in contact with her parents, I knew I had made a mistake. So, while she was in the bathtub, I went to shoot her with my gun. But then I saw her in the tub, and-and... I got this urge-"

A choked sob left Emily's lips. The attention of the court focused on her and she quickly covered her mouth, her eyes shut tightly together. Brian scooted over and held her tightly, kissing her hair repeatedly.

Surprisingly, Milton cast a regretful glance over to Emily, who wasn't even paying attention. "A-Anyways," He nervously went on,"That's when I took her to my bedroom and proceeded to... Rape her... I told her we were playing a game, and she said she loved games. But when I took off her pants, she started kicking and screaming. I held her down and reached for my pocket knife in the drawer. I meant to scare her, but she kept moving around so much - I ended up cutting her a lot. But she eventually stopped moving, she was still breathing, but she was just still. I took off her shoes, socks and pants but I-I lost control. I just remember pulling her undergarments down and then... Raping her. When I finished, she was screaming again. She kept screaming for her mommy and daddy, but I told her that I had... Killed them, so she'd shut up.

Milton shifted in his seat. "But she kept screaming. So I just started... Throwing my fists. I-I forgot I still had the pocket knife and I just ended up cutting her worse. I finally decided that I had to kill her. I couldn't return her in the condition she was in, so I just had to end it all. I got her dressed and I told her I was taking her back to her parents. She couldn't walk right with all the cuts and probably from the blood she had lost, so I carried her to my truck. I put her in the bed because I didn't want her to stain my seats.

"We got to the woods and she started screaming again. She tried to get out of the bed but she tripped and fell, hitting her head on my steel toe boot - It knocked her out, I guess, and she was unconscious. I cut her up some more, before I got that... Urge, again... When I finished for a second time, she began to wake up. I started to cut her again, slashing anywhere's and everywhere's I possibly could. Then, I leaned down to see if she was still breathing and she was. The girl was crying, too. I knew that I had to... End it, once and for all. So, I grabbed her doll which was in her hands - She never let go of that thing, not once - And I ripped its head off. I put it in my pocket and I sort of stared at the doll for a long time. I don't know why. But then she woke up and started to hit me, so I held her down and stuffed the doll down her throat. It was hard, but I didn't stop until she stopped breathing. I grabbed her clothes - Her pants, socks, and shoes - And I ran back to my truck. Got home, and put everything in a box, then I took a shower. And that's all."

Emily quickly stood up, tears running down her face. "You're a sick, twisted thing! You aren't even a human being, much less a man! She was barely four years old, and on top of taking her life away from her, you defiled her - You raped her! How dare you even walk into this fucking court room and plead that you're innocent, you sorry excuse for a living creature!"

"Enough of trying to win the jury over with sympathy!"

The court turned to Milton's defense attorney, who wore an angry look on his face. She immediately shrank into her skin.

Brian stood up just as Emily sat down. "I'm sorry, but until you've lost a child the way we have, you have no right to accuse us of trying to win this case in the name of sympathy. My daughter - Our daughter had her life taken away before she could even grasp it," Brian stepped to the front of the court,"This man - Milton Harvey - Not only had the evidence in his house, but his semen was found inside of Lucy. And he's also given us a very descriptive confession, as well. Now, get this straight, I'm not asking for anyone's empathy or sympathy. What I want is your honest interpretation of everything you've heard over these past two weeks. From the forensics, to the pictures, to the evidence, and finally to the confession that we all just heard. Don't worry about Emily or myself - But do think about this entire case, and the true aspects from the coroner and suspect himself."

The courtroom was dead quiet as Brian walked back to his seat, sitting far from Emily, again.

Emily quietly turned her gaze to his as Milton was called down, and the attorney's gave their closing statements.

Just hearing Brian's speech, Emily knew she had feel in love with him all over again. She felt this new intensity that burned in her heart, and she'd suddenly forgot every fight that her and Brian ever had since they'd met. Every little kiss and hug was burned into her memory - And every intimate night they spent together replayed in her head.

His proposal was a golden - No. It was a diamond memory. The first time he held Lucy and all the times he thanked her for giving birth to such a beautiful person - Those memories were all on the forefront of Emily's mind. It was like she was reliving the last five years of her life all in one moment. It was... Amazing.

When the jury was released for deliberation, Emily scooted closer to Brian and leaned close to him; He saw her action and mirrored it, leaning in as well.

Once it looked like they were just whispering and once she was sure no one was watching, Emily gently pressed her lips to Brian's. He slowly kissed back, utterly surprised that this moment was even happening. Emily held the kiss for a few more seconds before she pulled away.

"I love you." She whispered.

Image

Brian held Emily's hand tightly as the jury walked back in. The judge asked for the verdict, and the head juror stood up, clearing his throat. He looked around the court as he held the paper firmly in his hand.

Before he spoke, he locked eyes with Brian,"The jury finds Milton Harvey guilty of second degree murder, sexual intercourse without consent, aggravated assault, and kidnapping in the first degree."

And suddenly, the weight that had been on Emily and Brian's shoulders was lifted. The storm cloud that had been over their heads cleared up. The heaviness in their hearts disappeared. Everything that was once dim was replaced with a bright ray of victory. Not a vengeance, not a grudge - But a well deserved victory.

Emily shot up, a giant relieved smile spread across her face. She turned to Brian and beckoned him up as Milton was escorted out. Brian stood up and scooped her into his arms, tightly hugging her to his chest. He spun her around for endless minutes, basking in the moment.

As he set her down, Emily seized his face in her hands, kissing him sweetly. "I love you so much, Brian Haner." She stated with a clear, confident voice - A tone that Brian hadn't heard her use in a while.

"Then marry me," He put his hands over hers and squeezed them lightly, bringing them down to his chest,"I've already found out that I can't live without yo-"

Emily laughed her golden laugh as she kissed him again. "Yes, Brian, I'll marry you."

He smiled widely, trying to control all of his emotions. The immense happiness seemed to scorch hotly in his chest, and before he knew it, Brian had tears running down his face.

Not Emily - But Brian was crying. He kept the smile on his face, however, as the tears ran over the contours of his cheeks. All too soon, Emily teared up and laughed softly as she wiped away his tears. "Don't cry, baby. Today's a good day, be happy."

"That's just it, Em. I am happy. The happiest I've been in a while. I'm not used to it - My body's reacting to such an alien emotion. I'm happy, Emily. I'm happy that our baby girl got the justice she deserves, and I'm even happier that you're going to be my wife. I can't - These are tears of pure happiness."

"I love you." Was all Emily could muster up. No matter how hard she tried, she knew damn well that she wouldn't be able to come up with such heartfelt words as he did.

Image

Thirty Days After Trial; Day Of Milton Harvey's Sentencing.

The engaged couple fidgeted in their seats; The tension rising as Milton Harvey stepped into the room, wearing an orange jumpsuit. His ankles were shackled, his wrists cuffed. There was an officer on either side of him.

Brian stared him down, keeping a hard and cold gaze, just waiting for Milton to feel his piercing eyes and turn around. He so badly wanted to beat the shit out of him, still. There was that voice in the back of Brian's head that told him the urge to lay his hands on Milton would never go away, as long as he kept the grudge of Lucy against him.

But what was he supposed to do?

Forget that he lost his one and only daughter? His first born child? The soul that completed his and Emily's?

No, Brian jerked up; He couldn't see Jimmy, but he could certainly hear him almost as if his best friend were his conscious,You can never forget something as lewd as this, Brian. You know that. And you certainly can't forgive, either - I'd personally beat your ass if you did. Because your daughter didn't deserve any of this, yet it happened. What you need to do, Brian, is simple. You need to live. You need to accept this - Not because I'm telling you to, but because it's what Lucy wants. She would want you to keep on living your life with her smiling face and all the good times you two had as your only memories of her, because she loves you very much. Don't let her down, brother. And don't worry about her. I'm taking good care of her, I promise. Just live your life for yourself and for Emily, because Lucy is doing just fine up here with me. We both love you.

And then his felt a warmth in his heart. His eyes seemed to brighten themselves up. The 'FOREVER' tattoo on his chest stung but in a sweet and loving way.

She's going to be just fine; Lucy's doing alright.

"Milton Harvey," The judge spoke from his seat; Emily leaned forward and Brian squeezed her hand, giving a genuine smile,"I sentence you to life in prison, without the possibility of parole."

And just like that, everything in their lives seemed to pop right back into it's almost perfect place, with the exception of the dearly missed Lucy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last chapter's coming up tomorrow, guys!
This was a bit of a feel jerker for me - I don't know about you.
But I hope you all liked this chapter as much as I did.
(wow, I'm a fan of my own stuff, how cocky.)
Comments are always welcomed! xx