Status: Completed.

Far from Home.

When, Actually, Here Just Feels Alright.

Brian squeezed Emily's hand as she gently laid the bouquet of white roses on Lucy's grave site. She stood up nice and tall, taking in a delicate breathe. Things were quiet in the cemetery. Brian reached forward, gripping the headstone with their daughters name on it. He blinked back the few tears and smiled.

"We miss you, baby girl. Everyday," Brian let go of Emily's hand and crouched down, kissing Lucy's name,"But know that we love you so very much."

He stood back up and dusted off his pants. Emily looked up at him and cupped his face. "Are you ready to go?" She asked quietly. Brian stared into her eyes awhile longer before nodding. He gave her lips a sweet, gentle kiss before the couple made their way back to the SUV.

As the black vehicle turned down their neighborhood, Emily spoke up. "Everything's packed?"

"Yes, baby," Brian laughed softly, turning into their driveway,"I spent all last night putting shit in boxes and taping the boxes up-"

"You marked them t-"

"Yes, Emily. Relax. It's not like we're fleeing the state because we're criminals - We're just moving to find comfort, alright? Don't be so uptight, you need to relax. I got everything, I promise."

Emily smiled softly and leaned over, kissing his cheek. "I'm sorry. Just... It's going to be tough leaving behind everything, you know?"

"We'll visit her grave as often as we can." Brian already understood what she was trying to be cryptic about,"On her birthday, that's for sure. I'll put aside everything and book a flight to Polson every April, Em. Now," He opened the door,"Go next door while I load everything into the trunk."

Brian moved his head in the direction of the neighbors house as he walked up to the front door. Emily smiled and walked over to Grace and Landon's house, knocking on the door.

Within seconds, Landon opened the door, giving Emily a welcoming smiled. He opened the door wide enough to allow her in, closing it behind her. "Back, already?"

"Yeah," Emily smiled softly,"It... Wasn't as hard as it was before, you know?"

"How's Brian holding up?"

"Really, really well, actually. He's becoming more... Smiley, if that makes sense. Each day, I see a little more twinkle in his eyes, or a little more pop in his step. It's nice to see him finally going back to his old self."

"Either that, or he's turned the cheek of sexuality and gone for a dick in his a-"

The moment was cut short not by laughter, or by realization of his wife standing nearby, but by the pitter patter of little nine month old feet. The three adults turned their attention to the hallway just as Sophia Noelle came into sight. Her bright eyes searched two of the faces, before finally landing on her mother's.

She closed the distance and hugged her legs. Emily smiled widely and picked up her daughter. "You ready, Soph?" Emily kissed her nose. Sophia only nuzzled her face in Emily's neck.

Emily smiled softly and turned to Grace and Landon,"Thank you two so much for taking care of her."

"It's no problem," Grace spoke from beside her husband,"I just wish you and Brian the best of luck wherever it is that you're moving."

"I appreciate it - Everything."

Before the conversation could drag out any longer, Emily hitched Sophia a little higher on her hip and said her goodbyes. As she walked into the driveway, Brian was sitting in the SUV. His head was tilted back, his eyes closed, while his fingers drummed something on the steering wheel.

It wasn't until Emily quietly approached the vehicle that she could hear the faint music playing - The CD case that Brian had basically forbid her to touch was lying open on the dashboard.

NIGHTMARE.

Before Emily could get his attention, she heard the lyrics and stopped all movement.

"Nothing lasts forever. For all good things, it's true. I'd rather trade it all, while somehow saving you. It must have been the season that threw us out of line. Once, I stood so tall. Now, I'm searching for a sign.

"So, don't need your salvation with promises unkind. And all those speculation - Save it for another time! Cause we all need a reason, a reason just to stay. Well, some just can't be bothered to stick around another day..."

Brian's fingers drummed along to the guitar solo of the song in a perfect sync.

"And some say this can't be real, and I've lost my power to feel tonight. We've all been victims of a crime. When all's gone and can't be regained, we can't seem to shelter the pain inside. We've all been victims of a crime, victims of a crime - Livin' with this crime!

"I'm missin' you... I'm missin' you... I'm missin' you... I'm missin' you."

It was only then that Emily noticed Brian was quietly singing the last line of the song. She watched as his lips moved, his fingers slowing down their pace.

When the song ended, Brian opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling of his SUV for a few seconds. He blinked once before straightening his posture. Upon seeing Emily, he jumped and quickly grabbed the CD case from the dashboard. "Em! Jesus, how long have you been standing there?"

She opened the back door, putting Sophia in her carseat. "Well, I'd say maybe two minutes," Once Sophia was secured in her seat, Emily closed the door and got into the passengers seat,"You... Really like this band, don't you? You've memorized the guitar solo completely."

"Ye-Hey!"

Emily had reached over and snatched the case from him, scanning it for a band name. "Ah-ha! Avenged Sevenfold." She muttered, as Brian took the case back.

"What... What are you doing?"

"Looking them up on Google. I wanna see if they have a concert where we're moving to - Huntington, right? - Because I'd like to treat you to some tickets." She smiled, opening up Safari on her phone.

She googled the bands name. On top of the page, were pictures, followed by a wikipedia link and then a fansite.

"Wait..." Emily trailed off, enlarging one of the pictures.

Brian hadn't yet pulled off - He was staring intently at his wife as she slowly discovered his long, forgotten secret. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you." He whispered as she looked up at him. Her lips were pursed tightly together.

"I-I... What happened, Brian?"

He understood what she meant completely,"I left my wife and my band because I was tired of putting on a false show for everyone. I was acting like an eighteen year old and living my life for everyone else, rather than myself. I went home, packed my shit up, and just left..."

"...Do you regret it?"

"No," Brian stated solemnly,"Not at all. Not even the slightest. Because I met you, and I fell in love with you. We had Lucy, and my life grew entirely complete. Then we lost her, and we went through our own hell. But we got through it, and that just proves I made the right choice leaving. And now that we have Sophia... Everything is perfect, and it couldn't possibly get any better."

Emily smiled broadly and leaned over, kissing him. "Come on. Let's get going."

"How did that movie go?"

"What movie, babe?"

"The one that we saw on late night TV a few nights ago - It was from... The fifties, I think."

"To Paris With Love?"

Brian grinned and grabbed Emily's hand, kissing her knuckles. "To Huntington with love?" He winked, making his wife giggle at his cheesiness.

"To Huntington with love, baby."

Image

"And you're sure your parents will like me? They aren't even expecting us - This is the first time I'll be seeing them! And as your wife with a child. Oh my god, Brian, just say I'm some lost girl you picked up or someth-"

Brian laughed and cupped her face,"They're going to love you, but not as much as I do. Trust me. You'll be the apple of their eye." He smiled and flicked her nose, before knocking on the door,"Is Sophia ready to see her grandparents?" Brian grinned at his daughter, who squealed excitedly.

Emily tightened her hold on the nine month old as the door opened, revealing a man who resembled Brian, but with age,"Holy shit," The man said,"Son, where the hell have you been?!" He smiled widely as his son hugged him tightly.

"I've been getting my life together, dad." Brian said as he pulled away,"Where's Suz-"

"Right here!" A woman stepped forward and hugged Brian tightly,"And to think, I thought my step son had disappeared off the face of the earth!"

The three shared a laugh before Brian stepped back, exposing Emily. Suddenly, she felt her self consciousness engulf her like an open flame. Her face felt scorched and Sophia felt eighty pounds heavier.

"Dad, Suzy," Brian began,"I want you to both meet my wife, Emily, and our daughter, Sophia."

Before Emily could even open her mouth, Sophia suddenly reached out and clapped her hands. Brian smiled and took the little girl into his arms, holding her tightly.

"It's v-very nice to meet you." Emily smiled.

Suzy laughed as well as Brian's dad, and the world practically crumbled down on Emily. She'd made a fool of herself.

"You don't have to be all prim and proper with us, Emily. Just be your regular self," Brian's dad smiled,"Now, come in - All of you - And have a seat on the couch. I'll call the boys while Suzy orders some pizza."

Emily followed close behind Brian as he walked into the living room and sat on the couch, positioning Sophia in his lap. Sophia quickly got down from his lap and wobbled over to the coffee table, admiring the plant that sat in the middle of it.

Just as Emily got up to scold Sophia, Brian grabbed her hands and pulled her back down. "Relax."

"I can't. I want to make a really good first impression on your parents, so they won't hate m-"

"They don't hate you, I can assure that. And even if they did, I wouldn't care. They aren't the ones married to you, I am. And I'm in love with you."

Hearing his words, Emily relaxed and smiled softly. She melted into his side and closed her eyes.

The peacefulness lasted a few more minutes before there was a knock on the door. Brian looked at the clock and took a deep breathe in. "Those are the guys." He announced as his dad walked over and answered the door.

"Your band mates?" Emily asked, receiving a nod in return.

The married couple turned their attention to the door as four men stepped through the frame. Each of them had tattoo's and looked a bit gruff - Except for two of them.

"Jesus fucking Christ," The one with long hair said as Brian stood up; The two embraced tightly.

Emily diverted her attention to Sophia, who was running down the hallway. "Shit." She cursed quietly as she stood and walked after the overly curious nine month old. Emily picked Sophia up just before she ran into the bathroom. "What did I tell you, Soph? Don't leave anywhere's unless your daddy or I are with you, okay?"

Seeing as though she wasn't going to get a proper response other than a giggle and a smile from the little girl, Emily just kissed her forehead and walked back into the living room.

"-Feels great to be back in the band."

She got the very last of Brian's sentence. One of the guys pointed to Emily, and Brian turned around. "McKenna grew up."

"That isn't McKenna," Suzy said,"She's at a sleepover, and she's still not eighteen, so don't even go there, Johnathan."

"I wasn't ev-I'm married, Mrs. H!"

Everyone, minus Emily and Sophia, shared a laugh before Brian cleared his throat. "That's Emily," He told his bandmates,"My wife. Our daughter," He gestured to the nine month old who was struggling to get out of Emily's arms and into Brian's,"Sophia."

"A wife and a kid, huh?" The green eyed man said. "You did good, Haner. I, uh, can't say the same for your house, though. Gabriela sold it-"

"I don't care," Brian cut him off,"I want a new house with my perfect family."

Image

The night was coming to a close and everyone was in the backyard of Brian's parents house. To him, it felt just like highschool again, in a way.

The guys were drinking and laughing, Brian's dad was out looking for a crib with Suzy. Emily was laying back in a lawn chair with a sleeping Sophia on her chest. The more Brian glanced at her, the more it looked like Emily was ready to fall asleep, herself.

He excused himself from the guys and waltzed over to his wife, not the slightest bit drunk, and sat next to her.

She gave him a lazy smile.

"Tired?" He asked her with a light chuckle.

"A little."

Brian smiled and looked down at Sophia, who was sucking on her thumb. She looked peaceful as she slept, and Brian could only wonder what she was dreaming.

"Bri?" Emily asked quietly.

He kept his gaze on his daughter,"Hm?"

"Is... Is this what happiness feels like?" She grabbed his hand and put it just over her heart. It was thumping at a slow rate, but somehow - To Brian - It felt right. He grabbed her hand, the one that wasn't supporting Sophia, and put it over his heart.

"Yes," He finally answered her,"This is what happiness, love, and perfection feels like."

"I love you."

"I love you, too," Brian smiled. He looked down at the still sleeping Sophia,"And I love you," Finally, he bought his gaze to the sky,"And I love the both of you." It was strange how, upon speaking his love for Lucy and Jimmy, that the stars seemed to suddenly shined brighter at the end of his sentence.

He leaned over and kissed Emily affectionately on her lips, before pulling away, leaving their foreheads together. "You have no idea how happy I am, right now, Em."

"Maybe," She giggled quietly,"You can show me, tonight."

Brian's eyebrows shot high on his forehead. "You do know we're spending the next few nights here, at my dad's and Suzy's, in the spare room, until we find a house, right?"

"I do," Emily nodded,"And when we put Sophia in her new crib, thanks to your dad and Suzy, then we can crawl under the covers and you can show me just how happy you are. And then," A wicked grin spread across her face,"I can show you just how happy you make me. Does that sound good?"

"Baby, that sounds great," Brian mirrored her lustful facial expression as he cupped her cheeks,"I can't wait to start our life in Huntington together."

Emily leaned forward and buried her face in Brian's shoulder, inhaling his scent. "I love you."

"And I love you too," Brian kissed her head,"So god damn much."

The End..?
Read Author's Note!
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for not updating yesterday - I was extremely busy!
From booking A7X tickets to a birthday party and everything inbetween!
Anyways, I'm sad to see this end, but...
I left you all with a choice!
The ending for this story was perfectly planned out for two things; One, to just have the reader wonder what happened to Brian, Emily, and Sophia orrrrrr Two, for a sequeeeeeel.
And with that said, my lovely readers, the choice is up to you:
Would you like a part three to this story detailing the life in Huntington for the Haners, or would you just prefer me to leave it at this, so you can all dream up what happens to them?
It's up to YOU!
Comment away!