Undefined Life of Mine

Prologue

I open my eyes to another light blue covered pillow and the sound of a baby cry. I saw a yellow sticky note lying lazily upon the pillow. I slipped my hand out from under the warm blanket, holding onto the edge of the note. My vision finally adjusted and the words written in black stared back at me.

Morning beautiful


I smiled at my husband’s handwriting before finally leaving my bed. I pressed my hand against my swollen belly, feeling a tiny kick. I moved away from my bed to the door, hearing the cry of my one year old daughter. I walked down the hall and entered the room to my right, seeing my daughter standing in her crib.
“I know, I know,” I whispered as I walked over to Eva and picked her up. Her crying stopped as soon as I took her into my arms and placed her down on the wooden changing table. I unbuttoned her cute duck sleepwear and began to change her diaper. Once I finished, I took her into my arms once again and walked across the hall to my three year old daughter’s room. She was still sound asleep, breathing slowly in her twin sized bed. Her toys were lying around the floor and her nightlight showed stars on the ceiling.
“Melody,” I sang and walked over to her bed. “Melody, it’s time to get up.” I shook her softly and her big blue eyes stared back at me. Every time I see her face, I’m glad she looks like me. Apparently she looks like my mother, which made me even gladder that I named her after the spitting image.
“Do I have to?” She whispered, and I smiled.
“Yes, but I’ll get you hot chocolate if you get up.” Her eyes lit up and she started to crawl out of bed, exposing her pajama which was a XL shirt of a dolphin. Her pink heart socks touched the wooden floor with a thud and she stood tall and looked up at me.
“Okay.” She yawned before smiling soon after.
“Get dressed. Remember to wear something warm.” I kissed her forehead before leaving the room.
“Bobba.” Eva mumbled, which meant bottle.
“I know, baby.” I entered Eva’s room, grabbing her diaper bag to find a cute little outfit inside. I got her all dressed up in a flower pattern shirt and blue pants. I slid baby socks onto her little feet and placed her on the floor to play with her toys, so I could get dressed.
“Bobba.” Eva said, looking up at me with grey-green eyes.
“Hold on,” I said and started to do my usual routine. Get dressed in maternity clothing; grab a coat, scarf, and nice knitted mittens. Get my beanie and slip on my shoes. Then Melody bounces into my room, dressed and ready to go. We then get our things and I pick up Eva before going to the kitchen. I get Eva buckled into her car seat and start to make a warm bottle while Melody gets a chocolate pop tart from the cabinet and toasts only one. I then get my purse and car keys and we’re on our way to my Aunt Sue’s house.
Aunt Sue really isn’t my aunt but she was the only thing I had to a family when I was younger. Since she couldn’t have kids herself at the time, she treated me like her own, until she had Nora. Now she helps me with my kids so I can have some time to myself.
Once we arrived to Aunt Sue’s apartment; two bedrooms, if I ever wanted to move back in, Sue answered the door in a pink robe, and her orange hair was pinned up lazily. She was pale as always, with big green eyes and soft freckles across her face.
“Hey!” she yawned, with a cup of coffee in one hand.
“Hey,” I smiled at Melody hugged Aunt Sue’s leg before running off to watch TV. I carried Eva in, she fell asleep in her seat with her bottle between her legs. I placed Eva by the couch, and dropped her diaper bag beside her.
“How are you with everything?” Aunt Sue asked and gave me a hug.
“Completely fine,” I squeeze her slightly before pulling back. “I’m kind of tired but that’s because of the new comers.” I smiled and pressed my hands against my swollen stomach.
“Didn’t know twins that through your family!”
“Neither did I,” I smiled. “But it’s fine. I love my children.”
“Good,” Sue smiled. “Are you on maternity leave now?”
“Yes,” I spoke. “I don’t have to work for three months, which is fine with me.”
“And nothing is going on….?” Aunt Sue questioned and nodded her head as a gesture for me to understand.
“Nothing has happened since he died.” I whispered. “And I’m keeping it that way.”
“I’m proud of you.” She gave me a soft smile before drinking her coffee.
“Is Nora at school?” I ask.
“Yeah, Steven took her before he went to work.”
“I’m glad everything is fine with you guys now.” I stare.
“Yeah, I mean, we still have our moments because of the past but this is now and I’m just happy we’re not living like we used to.”
“Me too,” I spoke softly and glanced over to where Melody was sitting. Her eyes were on the TV screen and her fingers were fumbling together whenever she’s concentrating hard enough. When Melody was born, we weren’t in the best conditions either, due to my father’s business but I did what I could to get us out of there and we’re doing just fine.
Of course we’re loaded.
“I’m going to go. I’ll be back in a couple of hours. I don’t want to be out for too long.”
“Alright.” Sue said and sat at the kitchen table where a newspaper sat open on advertisements.
I walked over to Melody, kissing her forehead before taking off. It was winter, one of the harshest weathers in this town. The weather in this town is weird; we get snow in spring, other than that, I’ve grown up to be immune to the cold, so this is nothing to me.
Every day I go to this small diner that was about three blocks away. I used to work there, was loved by everyone and hated by somewhat. I still go there because I associate with the same people, and I love the food and coffee.
As soon as I parked my car, I walked into Eden, smelling fresh food and hearing forks with knives hitting plates.
“Hey Melony!” I heard everyone say.
“Hello,” I sang and sat in the back, facing the door, and all windows. Mr. Harris waved at me; sixty-three years old and still living. I waved back at him. He was very fond of me, but then again, I did always serve his food and I bought his medication just so he can live longer.
“Hey Melony,” Nicole, a friend of mine from high school, walked up to me in her waitress outfit. “Do you want the usual?” She asked.
“Yes, please.” I smiled. “And how’s Chris?”
“Just like his father, irritating.” She laughed before walking away.
A man then walked in, wrapped in two scarves, a brown coat, and dark jeans. He walked towards me, his face staring at the floor. He took a seat in the booth next to mine, removing his gloves and was greeted by Nicole as soon as she brought me my coffee. I took a sip of the hot substance and tapped it with my ring finger, hearing the clacking noise of my wedding ring.
Within a few minutes, I was given two pancakes with the side of bacon and a chocolate muffin that I would take home for Melody. As I continued to eat, the man next to me put up a small sign and another one against the window. I smiled as I read it;

Tell me your story
And I’ll pay you
A dollar


“I used to do a lot of things for more than that.” He looked at me as I swallowed my food.
“Really?” he had an accent, and a black beard. I nodded.
“Millions, thousands,” I took another bite of my pancakes.
“Wow. How old are you? You look so young.” Irish accent.
“Twenty-one,” I took a sip of my coffee. “I didn’t work until I was fifteen.”
“Why so young?” he asked and I stared at him. Was I really going to tell him for a dollar? A story wouldn’t make sense without the first chapter, not even the middle of a story, and the end hasn’t even come yet. I then grabbed my cup of coffee, taking a sip before letting out a sigh.
“How about I tell you from the beginning and I’ll pay you for listening.”