Undefined Life of Mine

Chapter Three: Punishment

After Ashley was buried in the backyard, Scott came and we pretty much hung out in my room. We rolled up nice blunts and munched on the food that was in my fridge. We did talk a lot, about a lot of stuff. We laughed a lot, about a lot of stuff. I sat on my bed against the wall with my knees against my chest, while Scott lay out on my floor, eating chips.
“Hey Mel,” Scott said, before munching onto a hot cheeto.
“What?” I leaned my head back against the wall, staring at the ceiling.
“What happened to your mom?” She’s like never around at all. Doesn’t she know your dad is sleeping with a bunch of hot babes?” My eyes flashed to him, he was grinning at the chip before taking it in his mouth.
My mom…funny how he asks, everyone knows my mother was a prostitute. She ruined someone’s marriage, and rumors went around. Soon enough, I go to school and everyone doesn’t want to come near me.
“She’s gone.” I replied bluntly.
“Gone?” he sat up and looked at me. “Where’d she go?” I felt annoyance rise in my chest. Why was he asking me this? What does he want? I glared at him, sure we were high, but now I just feel like I’m coming down.
“She’s dead.” I snapped. “She died when I was six years old. Now stop asking!” I said a little too harshly and stood up to find it was out that it was nine thirty.
“Hey, I’m sorry, I was just curious.” Scott said and stood up with me. I saw guilt go across his face, his adorable face. I let out a sigh.
“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to get like that.” I then rubbed at my face; my heart was racing in my chest. Scott then pulled me into an embrace and I felt a blush creep on me. I leaned against him and breathed in his scent which was a mixture of weed and sugar.
“You know, you’re really pretty.” He whispered in my ear.
“Liar.” I laughed softly and tried to pull away but he held on tighter. I looked up at him, our blue eyes locking on one another. Being this close to him was making my insides smile and I couldn’t control my breathing, or was I breathing?
“Scott—“ he pressed his lips against mine and I think I made a sound. His lips were soft against mine and all I kept thinking was this had to be a dream. There was no way in hell that I could actually have something good happen for me. He held me closer as I slid my hands up his chest, I can feel the warmth of his body heat press against the palm of my hands and all I can hear is my heart pounding in my ears.
Scott breaks the kiss and I feel my lungs on fire. He holds me close and places his chin on the top of my head. I let out a deep sigh and lick my lips, tasting him on them.
“I shouldn’t of done that.” He breathed out. “I’m sorry.” He chuckled softly and pulled away and all I felt was this weight pull my heart down to my stomach, making me sick and nervous.
“What? Why?” I ask as he grabs his jacket and started to put on his shoes.
“Walk me to the door?” Scott asked me, his eyes staring back at me.
“Aren’t you going to talk to me about what just happened?” I asked without realizing it. Scott didn’t really say anything but stare. I started to shake and I hated it. I shoved my hands in my pockets and stared at my feet.
“I think I’d rather tell you another time.”
“Why not tell me now?” I blurted and squeezed my eyes shut. Please don’t go, I need you here.
“Look Mel, I like you. I’ve always liked you but I feel like…” he paused and shoved his hands into his jacket’s pockets. His eyes weren’t looking exactly at me now, but at the floor. “I know it’ll be trouble with your dad.” He said before walking away. I followed, slamming my door behind me. The hall was cleared out now, except for two girls who were still lying there, which meant I’d have to check on them later.
“Scott, do you really think my dad cares?” Come on, just stay!” I panic and I saw him hesitate with his hand on the doorknob. He then turned around, our eyes locking on one another.
“I think he does care. If he didn’t, you wouldn’t be here, Melony.”
“If he did care, I wouldn’t be here, Scott.” I snapped. “He wouldn’t be doing any of this.”
“But he is,” he said. “And I feel like if we’re together, it’ll bring you problems and I don’t want that and neither should you.”
“But I want you.” God, I sound desperate. My heart was pounding and I felt like I was just punched in the stomach.
“You really shouldn’t.” Scott said before opening the door and walking out. I opened the door more before he closed it and watched him walk down the steps from my porch and walk across the lawn to his car. I didn’t call out for him, I didn’t run after him, I just watched him leave like it was the easiest thing he’s ever done in his life. I didn’t know what to do now, I didn’t exactly feel like my heart was broken but I knew that it’ll take time for him to come around. My dad doesn’t care whom I date, or whom I associate my life with as long as it’s not the police. I try to keep myself out of trouble, I try to keep myself away from danger and I literally felt like Scott was the only good thing that’ll enter my life and leave out my front door.
I watched him drive away with my heart as a black sedan drove up the driveway. I walked over to Steven’s car and see him rush out with Sue.
“Melony, what are you doing here?!” he yells and rushes over to me, fear written all over his face.
“What do you mean?” my head was starting to hurt and my heart was starting to pound in fear.
“Remember the deal you had to make tonight?!” Sue spoke and I felt anxiety punch me in the stomach.
“Shit, I forgot!” I screamed and ran back inside; hearing Steven and Sue follow me.
“It’s too late! It started at 7:30. We lost a lot of money!” Steven yelled.
“No, I can get the deal still!” I said and ran into my room, grabbing my bag from under my little table. Steven grabbed me by the shoulders and made me face him.
"It's too late, Melony!" Steven's eyes watered up a bit and I saw Sue's face buried into her hands.
“I’m going to be punished…I’ve never…I can’t.” I started to breathe hard and feel my head start to hang down. Tears broke free, I couldn’t control them now. I was going to be punished, brutally hurt; emotionally scarred.
“No, we’re going to get you out of here. You’re too young; I won’t let it happen to you.” Steven said and started to pull me out of my room. We stumbled over the two girls in the hall, but Sue stayed to check on them.
“What’s…what’s the punishment?” I stammer.
“You don’t want to know,” Steven said before looking back at Sue.
“Sue, we gotta go before—“ Steven was interrupted when two men bumped into us. Steven stood in front of me, shielding me.
“Steven?” We both heard the familiar dark voice. “What are you doing here?” My dad then walked between the two men, standing taller than Steven, with cold blue eyes. His brown hair was nicely put for a drug lord and he held a stronger face than most men. He smelled nice for a man who was surrounded by drugs and alcohol.
“Hey Jospeh,” Steven said in an unpleasant voice. “I was just uh…” my dad’s eyes then found me, and I couldn’t help but stare in fear.
“Melony,” his voice grew darker, spilling evil. “I’ve been looking for you.” My brain went dead or maybe my vision did, point was, everything went black.

I woke up on a cold hard floor, the back of my head was pounding and I lifted my body slightly, feeling dizziness run through me. I gagged slightly, feeling like throwing up but I kept it down.
“Ah, you’re awake.” I heard the sound of snapped fingers and was suddenly hauled up roughly and fast.
“Ugh!” I gag and taste something gross in the back of my throat that burns. I was then dropped in a chair and hands wrapped around my wrists, pulling them behind my back and I feel fingers tangle themselves in my hair and my head was pulled back. I hiss in pain and stare at the man whom I call my father. Once I recognized my surroundings, I noticed I was in the basement and there was a table next to me that had bottles of alcohol and bags of drugs and a couple of dollars here and there. The smell of alcohol and blood filled the room and stained the walls.
I look back at my father and see Steven standing behind him and Sue sitting on a chair next to the evil man.
My dad’s eyes stay on me though and once he stands, I feel myself try to pull away from the hands and the rope that bind my wrists together but I couldn’t get away. I was struggling and all I felt was fear and anxiety course through my veins. One minute was happy, and now I’m full of panic. All in one night, my life went to shit yet again because of a stupid mistake. Though I’ve never made a mistake, this is the first and I’m about to learn the punishment.
My dad walks up to me, eyes as cold as his heart. I breathed in heavily and smelling the disgusting fumes. I was then slapped, hard. The impact made my ears ring and rattled my teeth. My cheek stung from the sudden blow and I felt the burning sensation of swelling starting to take its place. At the corner of my eye I saw Steven tense up and Sue look away. Tears were about to break but my head was pulled back again, forcing me to look up at the evil man. I bit on the inside of my cheek to keep from crying out.
“You’ve never missed a deal before, Melony. What kept you occupied?” he asks and walks to the table of alcohol, serving himself a drink. “You reek of weed, by the way. Are you taking my supply?” he was angry, very angry.
“No!” I cry out from a sudden pull of my hair.
“Who’s your dealer?” he asks, putting ice in his cup.
“Chris McKallen.” I said softly as my dad took a sip from his glass. He looks at me and narrows his eyes.
“Ah, my dealer…” he then walked up to me again and leaned forward to level our faces. “Do you want a drink, Melony?” he asks, holding the glass close to my face. I breathed in and the smell of it burned my nose and made my eyes water. I clenched my teeth and stared at the clear liquid that filled the glass. I’ve always hated alcohol, I’ve never liked it. I’ve never touched it, simply because my mom told Sue to tell me to stay away from it, to never think about it.
“Do you want a drink, Melony?!” he screams in my face.
“No!” I scream out.
“Hold her head back.” He orders and suddenly my head is jerked back and I try to fight it, I pull at the rope, feeling it rub against my skin and burn my flesh in irritation. I shut my mouth but my father grabbed my face by the cheeks and squeezed, making me open my mouth in pain. He then forced the drink down my mouth, the ice hitting my teeth. It spilled over me but most of the liquid went down my throat. I jerked out of his grasp and heaved. I coughed from the burning and looked up to see Steven and Sue holding hands tightly.
God, if this was bad, I wonder how terrible they must feel having to watch me be abused like this.
Three cups of alcohol later, I found myself a bit hazy. It didn’t stop though, my father kept pouring more and soon enough, he made me drink half a bottle of tequila and I felt sick and tired. Everything was bouncing all over the place and I knew I was still sitting here, in the death chamber with Grim. I felt funny under my skin as I kept staring up at the ceiling. Tears didn’t fall anymore; my brain shut off all responses and I felt lifeless.
My father then forced me to drink more but then Steven tapped him on the shoulder, which made him release me. My head fell forward and a giggle left my lips. Maybe the thoughts of death were tickling my fancy.
I giggled again and looked up to see Steven talking to my father.
“Joseph, I think you should stop before she gets alcohol poisoning.” Steven’s voice was slightly blurry to me. Nothing made sense at this point but I heard footsteps move away from me.
“I suppose so.” My dad says before I hear glass shatter. Glass shattering…Glass…Breaking…screaming…
I then heard a scream, a familiar scream that I’ve never knew I’ve heard before make me jump from my seat. It pounded on my ears as I hit the floor, bringing the chair with me. My shoulder collided with the concrete floor, making pain shoot down my arm. I was then pulled back up in a sitting position, and my hands were cut loose. I was then shoved out of the chair, making me hit the floor on my knees. The floor moved too fast and I couldn’t steady myself.
I was then picked up roughly by my hair again, making me stand on spaghetti legs.
“You won’t leave the room tonight, my child.” I hear his words, words that tickle my memory.
“No, Joseph!” I started to pull away, memories of the screaming from behind the bedroom door. The screams, the screams…I was then shoved into the arms of two men who held me in place as Sue’s voice echoed in the room.
Punishment, the dark room for the ones who deserve to be punished…
“Take her, I want to hear screaming.” My father orders before taking another drink. I was being dragged away and I feel hands press against my breasts and my legs and I start to panic. I tried to squirm away as we reached the stairs but Sue’s voice made us all stop.
“It was my fault!” she screamed. “It was my fault!”
The men then turned around and I looked to see my dad stare in shock.
“Excuse me?” his voice ran cold and I felt a shiver shoot up my spine.
“It was my fault…I kept Melony away for hours.”
Aunt Sue, what are you doing?! The words didn’t leave my lips like I thought they did, I spoke in slurs though, trying to fight the holds of the two men.
“Why?” my dad walked up to Sue. Steven and I looked at Sue, her head looked fuzzy though. Damn vision.
“I was…doped out.” She whispered. “I thought she was in danger.” My dad then rushed towards her, striking her with the back of his hand. Steven looked away, his jaw tightening. He can’t do anything, I can’t do anything. We can’t fight back. Sue fell back, knocking over a chair.
“You cost me a fortune!” He screams. “Fucking whore, I knew I shouldn’t of let you be here!” he hissed. Sue pressed her hand against her face.
“Leave….you...her…Stop!” I slurred and kicked one of my dad’s men in the crotch. I heard a groan and I was suddenly punched in the shoulder. I fell forward and cried out. My dad then rushed over to me, grabbed me by my hair and dragged me up to Sue. He then pulled out a gun from his jacket’s pocket and pressed the barrel to my temple. I stopped breathing and Sue and Steven froze as well as the two men.
“I know how much she means to you.” My father says. “She’s a reflection of Melody, I know. Melody was your only escape. Now,” he breathes in deeply and presses the pistol harder on my head. “She’s your only escape and I swear on Melody’s grave if you ever cause the loss of my money, I will kill her.” His cold words pierce us three; pierce our bones into thin ice. I was then thrown hard to the floor, feeling everything spin. I dry heave and feel my tears start to fall. I didn’t even know why I was starting to cry now, but when I looked up at Sue, I reached for her but I felt a foot press into my back and held me down. I cried out and kept my eyes on Sue who had her hand pressed against her mouth, tears spilling over her eyelids.
“Since I can’t punish you myself due to business, two of my men will.” My father snapped his fingers and slipped his gun back into his jacket.
“No—“ I sob, but I feel this pressure on my back that makes me stop.
“Shut up!” My dad yells, making me shake.
Sue started to scream as the men pulled on her. I tried to reach out for her but they kept pulling her away.
“Joseph,” Steven spoke fast as Sue tried to grab onto the railing of the stairs. “Please let me punish her. It’s…been awhile.” I glance up through knotted hair to see Steven’s face. His eyes were full of panic and from my dad’s voice, I can practically hear him smiling.
“I’d say yes, but sadly, I need you to drive with me. We have a meeting with a drug lord from New York.”
“But Joseph—“
“I said we have a meeting.” He snapped before moving off my back. I felt relief flow through my back but as soon as I thought it was over, I was wrong. I was pulled up again to see my dad’s blue eyes and a needle glisten from the light. It was full of something and I felt myself trying to pull away.
“No, stop!” I scream but he pushes me back down and everything went so fast. He pinned my arms above my head, pressing his knee against my shoulders and shoved the needle into the inside of my elbow. I cried out from the sting and felt the liquid fill up my veins, pressing against my blood, dancing around its new home.
“You were just injected with a new drug I’ve made. You will be lost in your mind soon, Mel, and hopefully, you’ll learn your lesson from all this.” He moves off of me and I pull my arm to my chest and rub at the wound where the needle entered. I curled up in a ball and started to sob.
“Take her to her room.” My dad tells Steven, before walking up the stairs, leaving us alone. Sue’s screams were loud and I can still hear her. I knew she was fighting back. She wouldn’t be able to fight back for long though. I started to sob even harder but the alcohol was slowly putting me to sleep.
Steven then scoops me into his arms, cradling me against his chest. He couldn’t cry, he wasn’t allowed to but right now, if he could, he’d break down. I can practically see it written all over him.
“I feel helpless.” He sighs, kissing me on my forehead.
“Me too,” I murmur as he carries me up the stairs, through the kitchen and down the hall. Going down the hall, we passed the door where Sue’s screams were coming from. Steven and I both tensed up.
“I can’t,” he whispers and he breathes out a shaky sigh. “I need to get her out of here.” I felt my head fall back and I was looking up at the ceiling again, everything went blurry and I couldn't contain my thoughts.
Me or her?