Status: Active but slow.

The Price of Living in Chaos

Ms. All-Powerful

"Lottie....Oh, Lottie? Are you even listening to me at all?" My friend, Tessa, grumbles to the side of me. Zapped out of the little trance that I put myself in during the boring and tedious Wayne Enterprises meeting; I looked over at my friend Tessa who was wearing her almost-famous exasperated expression.

"Of course, I was listening. You just can't turn off and on hearing. I just wasn't paying attention. But now you have my full and uninterrupted self." Cracking a smirk, I turned to her and waited for her to start talking again.

"What day is it?" She asked quickly, her curly dirty blonde hair moved with her as she spoke.

"Friday the 20th...?" I reply back almost cautiously. I could tell that she was going to get to the point of something, which I didn't know currently.

"You forgot didn't you?! I knew you were going to forget. Gosh Lottie; where has your head been lately? It's the Socialites’ Ball...today." I surprised she wasn't yelling by the way she was acting. But, my head has been preoccupied lately...

"Ohthat thing. Why do you even attend those boring functions? All it is ,is millionaires trying to show-off how great, rich and important they are. I'm going because I have to, not because I want too." Tessa was giving me her full-on grumpy face. Eyebrows knotted together, accusing eyes that would make a killer confess and arms pretzel-crossed over each other, but I simply shrugged off her veil of anger.

"You could at least act like you're excited, you know? Hundreds of people would love to be in your position: talking to celebrities and millionaires, acting fancy. And what do you do? Complain about it." She had a point, and as much as it pained to agree with Tessa, I had to.

"You're right..." I grumbled to her, though I quickly countered it with, "That's the only I'll ever admit you're right, so bask in your glory while you can."

"You bet your ass I'm right. You should go home and start to get ready. It's going to be a long night for you." She inquired as she started to pack up some of the papers that she laid out during the meeting and put them neatly back into her briefcase.

"Are you telling me what to do now too?" I teased her while standing up and put back on my suit jacket.

"If I do remember right -and I usually do- I'm your boss, and I'll decide when I go home...which is now." Tessa's only response was a throaty chuckle, which was the only thing I was really looking for. Tessa's the only person that I can say understands me, and my odd way of being.
She didn't put down me just because I think differently than others.

"Okay Ms. All-Powerful, I'll see you Sunday. And remember, have fun at the ball."

"Ms. All-Powerful, eh? I like the sound of that, maybe I'll make it a rule that you guys have to address me by that for now on. And just because you asked so nicely, maybe I'll try to enjoy myself, but, yet again, there's always next year." I cracked a smile, and through a wink in her direction, which she just rolled her eyes too.

With that I strolled out of the stuffy meeting room, and went into the work area of all of my employees'. I work as the manager for Wayne Enterprises graphic design division, it's not as glamorous as the title may make it seem but it's a job, and it pays quite well. After collecting my purse from my office and saying some awkward, "See you on Sundays", I went towards the elevator which was at the end of a long hallway. The sound of repetitive elevator music filled my ears, along with the sound of running feet and a faint, "Hold the elevator!”

Should I hold it? Should I really? Fine I'll be a good Samaritan. It wasn't until the person actually got into the elevator that I looked at their face. It was to my surprise, Bruce Wayne. Bruce and I go back to when we were both children, and it's because of him -and our friendship- that I have a job at Wayne Enterprises at all.

"Oh hello Bruce. Funny seeing you on the lower floors of the tower," I say to him casually. He was dressed in a two-piece light grey suit that probably cost a small fortune. His brown hair was in its regular sleeked back style. Bruce's face was lightly lined with wrinkles, and he had bags under his eyes. I wonder if it was from stress or something else.

"Thanks for holding the elevator, Charlotte. Actually, I was on the lower floors looking for you."

"Bruce, we've known each other for years, how many times do I have to tell you; call me Lottie. What do you want to talk about?"

This was when the elevator opened on the fifth floor and three men stepped in. Bruce threw me a glance that I read as, "We'll talk when we get off the elevator." The uncomfortable silent ride down to the lobby was quick.

"So where are you going?" Bruce asked to me as I naturally started to walk towards the exit. When I didn't stop to talk, Bruce sped up to match my pace.

"Home? To get ready for the Socialites’ Ball that I -begrudgingly- am attending." My tone was rather curt then what I wanted it to be. I don't think Bruce noticed.

"Speaking of the Socialite's Ball -which by the way is a dumb name, don't you agree- don't take this the wrong way but, please don't do anything rash tonight."

"It's as dumb as the people who usually attend the function. But clarify your definition of "rash" so that we're on the same page." I didn't even try to hold back to the cutting-edge of my voice now. Me? Rash? Please. I quickened my pace while walking to the parking garage that was located down the street from Wayne Enterprises.

"Char-...Lottie, last year you called the Mayor stupid! You have to admit that was a little out of line." Bruce easily kept up with my increased stride, and as always he was the voice of reason. Though I won't admit it, I already told someone they were right once today.

"I wouldn't have called him stupid, if he would have just agreed that cutting bus routes and increasing fair for riders was -and is- a bad idea. You make it seem like I'm the bad guy!" I stopped walking by now and just stood pouting up at Bruce. God, why did he have to be so much taller than me?

"I'm sorry I came off that way, Lottie. But...you do understand what I'm trying to say?" He addressed his voice in more of an apologetic tone.

"Don't call the Mayor stupid-even if he is." I teased as Bruce and I continued walking towards the parking garage, all the while I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, hello. This is my new story that I have been working on for quite some time, hopefully you liked it.

If you really-really liked it you should should show me some love and comment and subscribe. :)

**I didn't get a chance to revise on this chapter before uploading so please comment on any grammatical/spelling errors. Thank you. :3