Status: Active but slow.

The Price of Living in Chaos

Rising Action

I have to leave in thirty minutes to go the Ball and what am I doing; sitting in my bra and underwear on my bed. God, I hate getting dressed up all fancy. It just makes me seem more pretentious then I actually am.

My blonde hair was done by now, and it was in an elegant bun atop of my head, though from all of the bobby-pins, I was starting to get a headache by my temples. The price for beauty, I guess. Reluctantly, I pull on my dress (a long navy blue, mermaid fit dress with an embellished sweetheart neckline) and put on my simple black heels. Even though I was wearing four inches heel (that I just barely can walk in) I had to pick up my dress so that I didn't fall completely flat on my face.

I equipped myself with my camera, and small clutch filled with essentials (keys, ticket to the event, tampons, credit cards, etc.) and waited impatiently on the taxi that was going to take me to the venue. The Ball was going to be at the Gotham Casino, a place that I've only been to once before. Gambling wasn't a hobby of mine; therefore I saw no reason to go to the Casino. Except that one time when Tessa dragged me along with her for a girl's night out and I ended up drunk, alone, with one shoe, and a random guys wallet. I mailed it back to him; it only held fifteen dollars, a couple family pictures, and old receipts.

Seven minutes and forty-three seconds (yes, I was counting) later, the taxi cab came for me. Miraculously, there was a surprisingly low amount of vehicles on the road, so the ride to the Ball was quick. As we (well me really) arrived at the casino, I was welcomed with a plethora of expensive cars, beautiful women, and men in lavish suits. My comfort zone was nonexistent at the moment.

I briskly exit the taxi cab which couldn't look more out-of-place by the other cars in comparison.
“Just breathe, take some pictures, and drink some wine.” I reminded myself as I walked –slowly- towards the doors where some guy in a cheap, ill-fitting black suit was taking tickets. Once inside the casino, the decor was just as pretty was I thought it would be: flowers and vases everywhere, a grand piano was playing in the corner, and a large gold chandelier was hanging elegantly in the middle of the ball room.

While I was taking some pictures a nice waiter offered me some champagne or wine; I took both, mix the two together, and chug it down feverishly. After the drink, my displeasure of being at the ball slowly began to vanish. Hell, I actually started to engage in conversation with people. Then, about two hours into the Ball was when things started to get…funny. There was a stiff feeling in the air, that I couldn't shake off and I think other guest felt it too. Something was up; I just couldn't tell what it was. Trying to shake it off, I turn my ears to the announcement that was being made by an older gentleman in grey suit.

“…now enough with the boring garbage. This year’s head socialite and winner of the prized fifty thousand dollar to their choice of charity is…” He never finished his sentence because before he could, he was shot dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short and kind of a filler; but in the the next chapter we meet the Joker! :)

Please comment and subscribe if you like it so far.

Also, I'll be doing the character page for Lottie soon, so stay tuned for that.