Spirit Desire

08/12

“How did it go?” Gabriela asked as she slid into the car seat next to me.

I smiled and she squealed loudly, “I got it,” I said.

“I knew you were going to get it!” she smiled brightly and tried to hug me over the center console. “When do you start? When does the new wing even open? Oh, I’m going to take you out to dinner, the Howards just paid me for the babysitting I did last week,” she smiled again and clapped her hands, “I’m so happy for you Adri!”

“Thank you Gaby,” I smiled and put the car in drive and began driving away from her high school while trying to avoid any of the kids in her school that were finding it entertaining to cross in front of cars. “The wing doesn’t even open until like June or something, but we’re going to start in March in another pediatrics wing for our preliminary three-month trial. You don’t have to do that Gaby.”

“No, no,” she shook her head and turned on the radio, “I’m taking you out for dinner, I mean it’s not going to be anything expensive. We can just go out to get Thai food over by the bay, the place with the good red curry,” she smiled as she texted on her phone.

“Okay,” I smile, knowing full well I was going to pay for anything we bought, “but first we have to pick up mom’s car at the shop. Whatever the problem with the transmission was is finally fixed, you’re gonna drive the mini cooper.”

She nodded her head and sat back on her seat, “okay, I’ll tell mom that we’re going to dinner, she’s out with Matthew anyway.”

I nodded my head and we continued driving in silence until we reached the car shop were the mini cooper was being fixed. Finally, I was going to be able to drive my car without having to chauffeur Gaby around or lend my car to my mom. Gaby grabbed her large gym bag from the trunk before we walked to into the small shop—where I hoped Leone wasn’t in because I was still embarrassed by our last meeting and by him telling me there was nothing going to happen between us.

Gaby plopped down on one of the chairs and pulled out her phone, “mom said she’s not going to be at the house tonight,” she said as I waited for anyone to come from the back, “her and Matthew are going to a church thing to arrange something about the wedding or whatever.”

“Okay,” I nodded my head and leaned my elbows on the desk in front of me.

“Sto andando,” I heard from the small hallway to my left and I mentally sighed as I recognized the voice.

I saw him before he saw me and so I had a couple of seconds to look at him unabashedly as he walked down the corridor and yelled something else in Italian. Leone seemed to look good in any color—I wanted to put him something fuchsia or mustard yellow so I could make him look ugly—but white definitely suited him. The white t-shirt showcased his broad shoulders and abdomen that then tapered down to his waist. Where a pair of black jeans hung low on his hips and encased his—or what I hoped was underneath—muscular thighs. On his hands were a pair of grease stained gloves which he took off before running his hands through his hair.

“Sì, naturalmente,” he yelled in answer to what I guessed was his uncle in the back.

“Adriana?” he asked as he finally looked up.

Before I could answer Gaby stood up from her chair and came to my side where she gripped my forearm. Since I broke down last week after Javier suggested we go on a break—which was any guy’s easy way of not exactly breaking up with a girl but forcing both parties to drift away until they just stopped caring—Gaby had been on my case about getting over him.

But what Gaby didn’t understand about Javier and I was that there were about ten years of a shared past between us. Between me having a crush on him since I was sixteen, having one other serious boyfriend while still wanting to be with him the whole time, and us dating when I moved back to the states there was way too much to take into consideration. I couldn’t just ‘fool’ around with another guy and get over it.

To be honest, I didn’t think I’d ever get over it. At this moment, I had spent over a third of my life—pining over him or in an actual relationship—with him, and that’s not something you could easy get over. I knew this, despite the fact that I also knew deep down inside that my relationship with Javier was past the point of no return. Neither of us made an effort anymore and it would be too tiring and a bit too late for either of us to try, but with so much history between us, a simple breakup would never suffice. Something big needed to happen for us to dislike each other so much that it led to hate or else we’d both part but always feel like there was unfinished business.

That’s what Gaby didn’t understand. That is why Gaby was suggesting that I’d go out every night and try to get over Javier by distracting myself with someone else. Someone, who as she said: ‘actually wants you Adri, even if it’s just sexual.’ At that point I had felt so embarrassed but she continued by digging the knife even deeper and rubbing it in my face that Javier didn’t want me, not even in a sexual way which she said was the most primal need of any human being. When Gaby got so wise or thoughtful I would never know.

I had given up at that point and told her that I knew that, but that the answer was not me getting under another guy. Which she scoffed to and said she was going to buy me a new outfit to go out in, to at least boost up my self-esteem, which made me feel even more like a dweeb.

At the end of her spiel, she had some to the conclusion that I should, as she said, get it on with someone who liked me and I knew that would understand whatever it was I was going through. Of course her conclusion was that I should ‘get it on’ with the one person standing before me.

I could see her devious little eyes twinkling as she spoke, “Adri didn’t tell me you worked here,” I had told her when we had to bring in the mini cooper. “Are you a mechanic?” I told her this after she asked me who I had made out with and almost crushed the roses in our front garden.

“Yeah, I work here most of the time, I’m the accountant. My uncle owns the place and sometimes I work on the cars,” he said and placed his dirtied gloves on the desk before going around it and grabbing a binder and flipping through the pages. “Sandoval right?” he asked as he reached a tab marked with a ‘s’.

“Yeah,” I smiled and leaned forward on the desk and Gaby did the same, “or it might be under Matthew’s name. Peterson, I think.”

Leone nodded and scratched at the small traces of stubble on his chin. He then flipped back to the P section of the binder and started flipping pages. “So how have you ladies been?” he smiled as he sat down and began typing something on the ancient looking computer on the desk.

“Great,” Gaby exclaimed as she drummed her fingernails on the desk. “Adri got some really good news today!”

He looked up from the computer and raised his eyebrows as he looked at me, “what happened?”

“It’s not that big of a deal,” I said, as I picked at my nails.

“It is a big deal,” Gaby said as she hit my arm. She turned to Leone, “tell her it’s a big deal.”

He chuckled, ”I don’t know what’s happened. I can’t say whether it’s a big deal or not.”

“She got hired!”

“At the children’s hospital?” he asked excitedly. “Congratulations Adriana, I told you that you were going to get the job. When do you start?”

“It’s no big deal,” I said again, “I don’t even start until March and even then I don’t really have the job until June when the actual wing opens. So I mean, I don’t really have a job, they can have me working there for three months and then they can decide they don’t like me and send me packing. It’s really nothing.” I rambled on.

“It is something, tesorina,” Leone said as he stood up from behind his desk and came around, he smiled and placed his arms around my waist in a tight hug. He squeezed me tightly before lifting me up and my hands went up to his neck as I held onto him. He brought me back down and kept his hands on my hips as he smiled tenderly, “you should be extremely proud of yourself, io sono.”

“Thank you,” I smiled and pulled down the skirt I was wearing a bit before placing my hands on his chest and pushing him a bit away, “I am happy, but I know it’s not finalized.”

“Doesn’t matter,” he shook his head and leaned back against the desk, “they liked you, you’re hired.”

I raised my shoulders and sighed before dropping them.

“Now, have you guys eaten dinner?” he asked.

“No, we haven’t,” Gaby said and the familiar twinkle in her eye came back, “we were gonna go and eat some Thai food, you should come with us!”

“No, it’s okay,” he said, “I don’t want to interrupt you two.”

I shook my head and so did Gaby, ”you won’t be interrupting us, the more the merrier,” Gaby said and she smiled widely. “Right Adri?”
“Right, you can come alone,” I said. “Besides, you’re the only two people who know,” I added before looking past him and towards the area where his uncle’s voice could be faintly heard, “unless you’re still working or have plans already made. I don’t want your uncle to get mad or for you to mess up your plans.”

He shook his head, “it’s a Monday tesorina, I have no plans.”

“Alright then,” Gaby said as she reached over the desk and grabbed the papers that Leone had pulled from the binder. She stacked them in front of her, “are we done with this stuff?”

Leone nodded, “yeah, those are the receipts and all that. Your brother, I think, paid for it when he dropped it off here. The car’s ready, who’s going to take it?”

“Salvador said he took care of it,” Gaby said to me before she turned to Leone, “I’m going to drive the mini cooper, you should come with me,” cue the devilish twinkle, “I got my official license like three weeks ago and she never wants to let me drive, you can tell her I’m a great driver once we get there,” she ended her rant by sticking her tongue out at me and curling her arm around Leone’s bicep, pulling him to her side.

She chuckled and patted her hand, “alright,” he started but I cut him off.

“Gaby, let him take his own car there,” I rolled my eyes, “that way he can go home when he’s done instead of having to come here and then driving home.”

“Nah,” he said and shook his head, “I didn’t bring my car in today, I had to be here earlier than usual and Pietro dropped me off here before going to his job. I was going to go to zio Luigi’s later and have Pietro pass by for me. I’m all yours tonight, ladies.” He smiled charmingly.

“See? It works out perfectly, now come on. I’m starving and want some red curry,” Gaby said and held out the keys to the mini cooper. “We’ll see you there Adri.”

Leone yelled something towards the hallway in fast Italian and furrowed his eyebrows as he waited for a response.

“Sì, sì. Buona notte,” we heard his uncle’s reply and he smiled before beginning to walk out into the hot night.

The drive down to the bay was thankfully short. In less than fifteen minutes I was parking in the almost deserted strip mall. If there hadn’t been any traffic it would have been at most five minutes, but there was and I was fearing what Gaby could have told Leone in the fifteen minutes that had already passed. For God’s sake, they hadn’t even made it to the strip mall yet, which was definitely on purpose. Gaby had the bad habit of always speeding and slamming on the brakes.

“Red curry, red curry,” Gaby chanted she got out of the car and slammed the driver’s seat a bit too forcefully. Leone cringed a bit before he came around the car and they began walking towards my parking spot.

“What took you so long?” I asked Gaby and raised an eyebrow.

She rolled her eyes and looped her arm through mine, pulling us towards the thai restaurant, “nothing, there was a lot of traffic.” She smiled and winked.

“Vas a ver,” I threatened and pinched her side, she laughed and swatted my hand.

Leone who was walking behind us rushed and beat us to the front door, where he held the door patiently and let us inside before closing the door behind him. He led us to a small four person table and once Gaby and I were seated he sat down next to me, his body reclining on the wooden chair.

In less than ten minutes, the petite and cute waitress whose name I knew was Kim since Gaby and I came here almost every week, had taken our order and returned with our order of iced tea. Gaby and Leone were having a mellow conversation while I continued contemplating whether or not I should call or even text Javier that I had gotten my dream job. My decision was made for me when Kim came back with two plates of chicken pad thai for Leone and I and a bowl of red curry for Gaby. I placed my phone back into my purse before joining their conversation.

“The red curry here is the best,” Gaby said as she took a sip of her iced tea, “here, try it,” she pushed her plate forward towards Leone.

“I’m good Gaby,” he said but Gaby narrowed her eyes and pushed her plate even more towards Leone, he conceded and grabbed some curry of her plate as Gaby stared at him waiting for his reactions. He nodded, “that’s some damn fine curry,” he nodded his head.

“I told you so,” she said before taking her plate back and taking a large spoonful of the curry.

We all began eating calmly as we had small conversations. Leone asked Gaby all about what colleges she was planning to apply to for next year. He warned against studying on the east coast claiming it was way too cold and overrated and Gaby told him all about what she wanted to study—which after hearing a million times I still wasn’t exactly sure what she wanted to study. Leone told her about his upcoming March trip to Florence and they both asked me about my new job.

“I’m quitting at the clinic,” I said as Leone asked when exactly I was starting. “I called the clinic as soon as I got the job and gave them a two-week notice by next Friday I’ll be unemployed.”

Leone chuckled, “why didn’t you wait until you started at the clinic to quit your other job?” he asked as he pushed his plate away from him.

“I hate working at the clinic,” I sighed. This was probably the fifth time I was explaining my actions to someone. “I mean, I’m a registered nurse and all I was doing there was calling about appointments, checking people in and cleaning up puke. I wasn’t doing anything worthwhile and I have money to be okay without a job for the next couple of months.” I answered and finished off my thai tea.

“Well if you’re stable then it’s all good,” he said.

“Exactly,” I gestured towards Leone as I looked straight at Gaby, “I wish more people would look at what I’m doing from this point of view.”

She rolled her eyes, “whatever, I just need you to keep on working so you can buy me clothes and stuff for my future dorm.”

“You’re such a gold digger.”

“I’m gonna say it like it is,” she shrugged her shoulders, “now, I need to do homework so we should go,” she said as she began digging through her backpack and pulled her wallet out. “Ask Kimmy for the check.”

“I’ll pay for it Gaby,” I said as I grabbed a couple of twenties out of my wallet and motioned for the check, “you need to start saving up all your money in case you do move Gaby.”

She rolled her eyes, “I just got paid and this is a celebratory dinner, I’m paying.”

“I’ll pay for you both, don’t worry,” Leone said as he grabbed his wallet from his back pocket.

Gaby glared at him, I pushed his shoulder. “No I’m paying, I owe you,” I said and held the two twenties out as soon as I saw Kimmy walking towards me with the check. She smiled and grabbed the bills before Leone and Gaby complained.

“Your total’s thirty-four eighteen,” she said as she tucked the billed between the check holder.

“Keep the change Kimmy, thanks,” I smiled at her and said goodnight as she walked away. I turned back to Leone, “Now, you don’t a ride right?”

He shook his head, “No, I was going to call a taxi or Pietro to come here if he was unoccupied already.”

“That’s not necessary,” I said as we stood up from the small teal table, “I’ll give you a ride since you have no car,” I pointed towards him and he shrugged his shoulders, Gaby placed her backpack on her shoulders, “and you,” I pointed towards her, “can go home in mom’s car and do your homework. Text mom and I when you’re home okay.”

She nodded her head as she held open the door for us and walked through the door. Leone and I both followed her to the mini cooper where she threw her backpack into the backseat and slid into the driver’s seat. “Are you gonna come home right away?”

I nodded my head, “yeah, you wanna put on some coffee?”

“It’s 7 at night?” Leone questioned but we both ignored him.

“I’ll get it ready. Bye Leone!” she waved her hand as she started the car, “I’ll see you soon then.”

“Come on,” I muttered as she drove away, “I’m so tired right now.”

“Just tell me where to go yeah?” I slipped off my shoes and put the keys in the ignition.

He nodded, “I live in Kensington, just get near there and I’ll direct you.”

I nodded my head as I backed out of the small parking space and began driving towards his neighborhood. He fiddled around with the radio before giving up on the lousy music playing and turning it off completely.

“It’s this one,” he said as he pointed towards a small house at the corner of the street. “Seems like Pietro isn’t here yet,” he mumbled to himself.

“Alright,” I smiled as I parked the car and he unbuckled his seatbelt.

“Do you want to come up?” he asked as he shifted in the seat, “I’ve just gotten in some nice bottles of wine.”

“Red or white?” I asked with a smile.

“Both,” he raised his eyebrows.

I shut off the car and turned to him, “Are they Italian?” he nodded his head, “alright, but only a glass,” I said and held up one finger. “I have absolutely no tolerance when it comes to wine,” I muttered more to myself than anything as we both exited the car.

Leone led us to the quaint house, up the small trail that was in desperate need of some care. My mom would have died if she saw the state of the grass. He grabbed a set of keys and opened the wooden door, he placed his hand on my lower back as he ushered me into his house. Immediately you could tell only men lived there, there was scarcely any color or personal touches in the home. He took off his light jacket as he led us to the kitchen and draped it over one of the stools.

“Take a seat,” he said as he motioned to the set of barstools in front of the kitchen island.

“This is a really nice place,” I said as I looked around the kitchen, it was devoid of any decorations besides a black kit-cat clock above the sink. The only things adding color to the black and white kitchen were a few of plants on the counter—I had counted three basil plants. “It’s really clean too.”

Leone nodded his head and placed his forearms on the opposite side on the island from her, he rested his chin on his fists before speaking. “Yeah, Pietro’s a bit obsessed with having everything ridiculously clean, that’s why I never eat here.”

“You’re going to get fat if you eat take-out every day,” I commented.

He shook his head, ”no take-out tesorina, my parents live less than minutes away walking from here so I have dinner there most of the time. My mom makes the best pasta alla norma and arancini.”

“You’re a momma’s boy then, chiqueado,” I laughed.

He smiled and nodded his head, “and proud of it. My mamma is the greatest woman I know, I worship the ground she walks on. Make yourself at home,” he said before standing up straight and started walking towards the hall, “I’m going to change out of these work clothes,” he said and I quickly turned around as I saw his hands go to the hem of his white shirt and start pulling it upwards.

There was nothing to do in his kitchen unless I wanted to snoop around or cook so I settled on twirling around on the stool.

“Alright,” he said as he walked back into the kitchen wearing a pair of Adidas joggers and another plain white t-shirt. He looked like all the guys I had fallen in love with for three seconds whenever I was in Italy. I smiled at his bright red socks and he chuckled as he followed my line of sight and wiggled his toes. “My little cousin likes knitting and socks, they were a gift.”

“They’re nice,” I smiled.

“Now,” he started as he opened up what I had thought was a simple cabinet but turned out to be a wine fridge, “I remember inviting you over for some red wine, yes?” he asked.

I nodded my head, “Jesus,” I exclaimed as he pulled out the rack of wine and saw that it was full of bottles of red and white wine, “how much wine do you need?” I asked. There were most likely over fifteen bottles.

“It’s the holidays, cara mia,” he said as he grabbed some bottles and read the labels. “We’re Italian and we’re having almost twenty people come over for Christmas. We drink a lot of wine during Christmas, we’ll need three times this amount.”

“That seems excessive,” I commented.

“You can never drink too much Italian wine. Now,” he brought up two bottles, “red or white?”

“Red,” I answered.

He muttered good choice before placing the bottle of white wine back on the rack and grabbing another bottle of red wine and a corkscrew from a drawer next to the fridge. “Go and sit down in the living room.”

I did as he said and took a seat on the leather couch that was in front of possibly the largest flat screen television I had ever seen. He came shortly after I sat down, balancing a glass container, two bottles of wine, and two large wine glasses.

“My nonna sent me these,” he said as he opened the plastic container where there must’ve been a dozen of cannolis. “Have some, Pietro also got a box.”

I almost drooled as I looked at the perfectly golden cannolis and I wondered if I could get away with taking all of them with me. I took a bite of the pastry and smiled as I looked up at him as he uncorked a bottle of wine. “These are amazing,” I nodded my head and took another bite, “do you think your nonna will give me the recipe?” I smiled.

He shook his head, “Nonna Federica will never give her recipe to anyone outside of the family. You only get it if you’re born into the family or marry into it. It’s straight from Sicily.”

“I could eat these all day long,” I mumbled as I grabbed another cannoli. “God should’ve made me Italian so I could eat these all the time.”

“No need to be Italian tesorina, you can just go buy them in Little Italy. Granted, they won’t be as good but it’s something,” he took a sip from his wine before wiggling his eyebrows, “or you can just marry an Italian. I guarantee you my nonna would give you the recipe.”

“Nice try,” I said and took a gulp of wine, “but I have google and I can ask it for the recipe.”

“You can but it won’t be as good,” he angled his body towards mine, “and I’m taking that as a no to my marriage proposal.”

“Well, I’d have to be out of a relationship with someone else to accept your proposal,” I joked.

He smiled but it didn’t quite reached his eyes and I feared that Gaby might’ve told him something in the car ride to the thai restaurant. I looked at him, still smiling, waiting for him to say something but he didn’t, he instead closed his eyes and leaned back on the couch, his left hand curling around his abdomen.

“This is some good wine,” he said when he opened his eyes back up and finished his glass, “do you want some more?” he asked.

“Yes please,” I said as I extended my glass out to him and watched as he poured.

“Just so you know, any girl I marry is going straight to Italy with me. To have some good wine, get my nonna’s approval, and some of her cannolis.”

“Nice try, but I’d like some tres leches at my wedding rather than cannolis and I don’t think you can find tres leches in Italy,” I said as I grabbed a pillow and held it to my chest. My whole body felt warm and I could imagine myself getting married to Leone somewhere in Tuscany drinking a lot of red wine and eating pasta all night long.

This time he did smile and his eyes twinkled as I returned the smile. Both our heads turned towards the door as we heard the sound of keys turning in the doorknob. Leone sat up straighter on the couch and relaxed once he saw just one person walking into the house.

“Leo, why the fuck did you leave your crap out in the garage? Mio Dio, devo fare tutto da solo. And for Christ’s sake, you couldn’t have called me and let know you didn’t need me to swing by for you? Zio Luigi had left already and I waited around for you and wasted gas. You owe me stupido” he said as he took his jacket off and placed it on the back of a dining table chair. Big brothers, Leone mouthed to me and rolled his eyes, I tried to laugh quietly but his brother heard. His eyes shifted to me and he smiled awkwardly, “sorry, I didn’t know Leo had company over.”

“You would’ve if you came in like a normal person stupido,” Leone said and Pietro hit the back of his head. “Tesorina, this is Pietro,” he said and motioned towards his brother, “Pietro, this is Adriana, she just got hired at a new job and quit her old one so congratulate her.”

Pietro had the same nose and strong jaw as Leone but that was where the similarities between the brothers ended. Firstly, Pietro was built like a tank, his arms were huge and if I saw him on the street I would’ve been intimidated and scared. His eyes were darker than Leone’s though they seem happier. His hair was his nicest feature, the black curls ended at his neck and gave him a boyish look, balancing him out though his stance was still intimidating.

Pietro held out his hand and I placed my hand in his, “nice to meet you Adriana,” he said as shook my hand, “and congratulations on the job.”

“Thank you,” I smiled, “do you want some wine?” I asked and held up my glass.

He shook his head, making his jet black curls move and frame his face, “no thank you. I’d like some but I have to work early tomorrow.”

“A che ora?” Leone asked.

“Nine,” Pietro answered, to which his brother responded that nine was not early, “it is. It was nice to meet you Adriana,” he smiled as he began walking to the kitchen and grabbed his jacket.

“Nice to meet you to Pietro,” I said and took a sip of my wine, “goodnight.” He nodded his head before slapping his brother’s head lightly and walking towards what I guess what his bedroom. “You’re brother’s huge,” I mumbled as soon as I knew he probably couldn’t hear me.

Leone nodded his head, “that he is, takes too many steroids.” My eyes widened and he laughed loudly before knocking back his glass, “I’m kidding cara mia, he works in construction and goes to the gym five days a week. Cleaning and bench pressing are the only things he loves.”

I nodded my head and grabbed the second bottle of wine and handed it to Leone, “as long as it’s not steroids,” he nodded his head and grabbed opened the bottle before serving me some more wine.

He served himself another glass but threw out the wine etiquette and served poured himself wine almost to the brim of the glass.

“So we’ve gone past the part where we are civilized and adhere to wine etiquette?” I raised my eyebrows. He nodded his head and took a large gulp, “so how have you been Leone, I feel like I haven’t talked to you properly since Natalie and Chris’ wedding?”

“I’ve been fine tesorina,” he started, “but I’m more interested in talking about you,” he gave me a lopsided smile.

“What about me?” I asked.

He scratched the side of head before launching into questions about anything and everything. The conversation flowed easily and I was amazed at how at ease I felt with him. He kept on refilling his glass as we spoke and gave me his complete attention and I him as we talked about our lives and what goals we had. Which, when looking back at it was definitely a weird conversation to have when just sitting and drinking wine at a boy's house. It felt more like a first date and I giggled when I thought of that and he raised his eyebrows but didn't comment.

“Mr. Cerrutti,” I smiled as I grabbed the now empty bottle of wine from the table and shook it, Leone raised an eyebrow as he looked at me and took a large sip from his glass. “Are you being naughty and trying to get me drunk?” because I felt it, wine always hit me the hardest. I could feel my cheeks begin to redden and my temperature rising. I don’t know why I agreed to drink some wine. I couldn’t handle it when I was eighteen and threw up on one of the Seine’s bridges and I wasn’t sure I was handling it all that well in Leone’s immaculate living room.

He laughed and shook his head, “I’m not, I’ve drunk like three-quarters of the bottle tesorina. You’ve had three glasses, and remember that we don’t even fill the glasses all the way up.”

“Whatever you say my little cannoli,” I narrowed my eyes at him grabbed the third unopened bottle on the table. One he had gotten when he got down to only half of the second bottle, “now, open this,” I said as I pushed the bottle into his hands.

He chuckled, “are you sure?” he asked, I nodded my head, “Alright then,” he said and grabbed a corkscrew from the table and proceeded to give me some more red wine.

By the time I had emptied that fourth glass of wine, my inhibitions were lowered. I had kicked off the nude heels and curled my feet underneath me. My silky beige blouse was unbuttoned and untucked, and I was moments away from taking it off because there was no good reason as to why the room felt so hot.

“So,” Leone said as he grabbed a cannoli and took a bite. I scrunched my nose just thinking about how weird the red wine and the sweetness of the cannoli must’ve been. “Your sister told me something interesting.” He scratched his stubble and I swear his honey eyes were staring right through me.

“What did--” I burped and my cheeks burned red, “sorry, tell you?” I asked.

“Well after she went on and on about how proud she was of you for getting a job at the hospital,” I scrunched my nose and felt my cheeks getting hotter and hotter, “she started talking about your personal life.”

“What about it?” I asked.

“She said something interesting about your personal life,” he said and took a moment to think before taking another sip of his wine, “are you and Javier still together?”

My eyebrows furrowed, “that’s really none of your business,” I said as I emptied my glass, “I don’t know why Gaby told you anything really.”

“I’m sorry,” he muttered and served himself some more wine, “are you two still together?”

I stood up and tried putting on my shoes but the straps were proving to be tricky, “it really is none of your business,” I muttered again and wobbled a bit. My hands went to the back of the couch to try and gain some balance.

“What happened tesorina?” he asked as he placed his glass on the table.

“I don’t want to talk about it, especially not with you,” I said as I narrowed my eyes and began buttoning my blouse.

“Okay,” he raised his hands in a defensive form and leaned back on the couch, “I shouldn’t have asked, especially when you’re drunk and mad.”

“I’m not mad,” I mumbled as I plopped back down on the couch, “and I’m not drunk, I’m just getting there.” I regarded him closely before I sighed, “we’re on a break.”

“Oh.”

“Mhh,” I fished my phone out of my bag, “yeah, so we’re on a break. Which I don’t even understand what that means. Does that mean we’re still together? Is he fucking some other girl other girls? Am I allowed to be with someone else? I just don’t get it. He’s so infuriating and I don’t even know if I love him anymore and if I should even love him. It’s so stupid.”

“I’m sorry tesorina,” he said as his hand grabbed mine and my hand instantly heated up.

His honey colored eyes stared straight into mine and I could feel the warmth from his hand covering my whole body until I’m sure my cheeks would’ve been an unnatural shade of red. My eyes left his as I looked at him. From the short hair that curled at his ears to his slightly crooked nose and his strong jaw covered in small hairs. My eyes looked at his body, the broad shoulders and strong forearms that had a few prominent veins and sun spots. His tapered waist leading to his muscular thighs and I almost sighed as I drank him in.

He was strong and masculine without being aggressive and I swear if I had had just more one glass of wine I would’ve forgotten all about Javier and pounced on him. As soon as I realized that maybe I could do it without another glass of wine I looked away from him and took a deep breath.

“I need to go home,” I said as I moved my hand from underneath his and placed it awkwardly on my lap.

“You’re not going home Adriana, you’ve drunk too much and you can’t drive.”

“I’m not driving home,” I narrowed my eyes at him, “I’m not stupid, I’m a nurse. I’m going to call a taxi and come for my car tomorrow.” I said and tried to place my feet into the black pumps. The straps gave me a bit of trouble but most of the trouble came when I tried to stand upright and wobbled a bit to the side.

“Hold on a second,” he said as he ran his fingers through his hair, “I’ll tell Pietro to give you ride.”

I shook my head, the movement making my world shake, “no, he has to work tomorrow, it’s okay. I’ll get a taxi.”

“No you won’t,” he sighed exasperatedly, “Pietro is not doing anything. He doesn’t sleep until like 2 am, he’s probably watching It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, I’ll go get him.”

“I don’t need a ride,” I argued again.

“You live like twenty minutes away from here, you’re looking at at least 20 bucks in fare. Just save it, I’ll have Pietro drive you home.”

I rolled my eyes as he left the room and I focused on making sure I looked semi-okay, even though anything I thought should’ve been taken really lightly since I was surely near being drunk.

“Are you ready?” Pietro asked as he came out of his room.

While Leone and I had been talking Pietro had managed to shower and change and I had a sneaking suspicion that he was already in bed as he stretched his arms above his head.

“I don’t need a ride Leone,” I said once more trying to make my point.

“Yes you do,” Leone said, “I already asked Pietro for you.”

“I’m not asking you for a ride,” I said as I pointed at Pietro, “but your little cannoli of a brother,” Leone rolled his eyes and blushed while Pietro laughed loudly and threw his head back, “insists on this. I can take a taxi, please tell him that.”

“Remind me to never give you wine again,” Leone muttered. “Per favore, lei è ubriaco,” he cleared the bottles of wine from the table and showed them to his brother, ”prendere la sua casa.”

“I can take a taxi to la sua casa,” I muttered and grabbed my bag, “and stop talking in Italian when you know I don’t understand it and I know you’re talking about me,” I whined the last part.

Leone rolled his eyes and walked to the kitchen to dispose of the bottles while Pietro continued laughing. Leone came out of the kitchen and crossed his arms as he leaned back on the wall. Pietro walked closer to me and I nodded my head as I patted myself but then realized everything I needed was in my bag.

“Come on Adriana,” he said as he grabbed my elbow, “I’ll drive you home yeah? If you let me drive you home I’ll give you my nonna’s cannolis.”

“but then you won’t have any cannolis,” I mumbled sadly but I still took the glass container from Leone’s hands.

“Oh I will,” he said, “your little cannoli,” he snorted and Leone punched his shoulder, “will give me his instead of gas money.”

I turned to Leone a bit too quickly and swayed on my feet, “ha, you’re not getting any cannolis,” I muttered and grabbed another from the glass container, “and they’re delicious so boo.” I looped my arm through Pietro who wasn’t expecting it and patted my hand awkwardly. “Don’t be awkward,” I mumbled to him.

He smiled as he opened the door, “I’ll see you in a few minutes Leo.”

“See you Leo,” I mumbled and I tried to wave my hand but between the hand holding the container of cannolis and the arm looped through Pietro, I just squirmed and flailed. “Thank you for the wine,” I smiled and wobbled a bit as Pietro walked us to his truck.

Where embarrassingly he had to touch my ass as I couldn’t get into his large truck without nearly falling over. Which he apologized for every second his hands were touching me.