Spirit Desire

15/08 II

As soon as it had turned five o'clock and every patient was out of the office I clocked out and made my way to the mini-cooper I had to get back to my mom as soon as I was out of work. She claimed she needed to go grocery shopping, but I had checked the fridge that morning and it was full. She was probably lying and only wanted to go to my aunt’s house to watch her novela. Nevertheless, I hurried down the freeway since I also had to get ready before six to get picked up by Javier and get taken to some restaurant that was most likely a bar to celebrate Chris’ birthday.

I had found it a bit weird that Javier was invited since all the times I had seen Chris and Javier interact they didn’t seem to be that good of friends, but it was probably Chris feeling like he had to invite his girlfriend’s brother out for a few drinks to get on his good side.

Five minutes after six I heard three loud honks outside of my bedroom window that let me know Javier was outside and waiting. Not wanting to make anyone wait more than they had to I quickly shoved my phone and a couple of crumpled up bills into my jean jacket’s pockets and hurried down the stairs.

I was surprised to see Natalie in the passenger seat when I made my way to the gray Honda Civic on my driveway. She smiled and waved enthusiastically as I opened the back door. She was already going on and on about how great the party would be since she had organized the whole thing.

The drive was relatively quick from my house to some neighborhood I remember Natalie and I went to once because there was a good gelato shop. It was one of those quaint neighborhoods near downtown but still far away enough that there was still small shops selling random antiques and good coffee shops.

Once out of the car Javier placed his arm around my shoulders before placing his lips over mine, he commented how he was feeling better and to always stop worrying about him before he left Natalie and I to go grab some change to place into the meter.

Natalie raised her eyebrows in question as she hopped to my side and we left Javier behind us. “Are you with Javier again?” Natalie asked as we crossed the street to where the restaurant/bar Chris was already waiting for us was.

I shrugged at first, I had expected Javier to tell Natalie but I guess it must have slipped his mind. "I think so," I answered and she looked at me again before humming.

"He’s so boring though." She muttered. "I'd loved for you to be my sister in law or whatever but Javier doesn't deserve a cute little nurse like you," she said trying to build me up and simultaneously tear down her brother.

I waved my hand in a dismissive motion, "We're not really dating," I stressed the word dating, "nothing's really set in stone and to be honest, I wouldn't really want to cement anything. It’s just nice you know? Like why do we have to cement anything if we’re both having a good time?”

She grunted and I could tell she thought I was lying, after all she was the one that I called every time her brother did something that bothered me. She was also the first one that heard about our breakup and she knew just how much it has devastated me even though we had lived some hundred miles apart.

But it was really the truth. I felt no need to try and label whatever it was Javier and I had going on, it was nice and as long as things were going nice and neither of us felt we needed more of whatever we were, then there was no need to shake things up. Of course Natalie wouldn’t understand that but I stopped thinking about the logistics of our relationship as we walked into the separate area that Chris, some people I guessed were friends and his and his band were occupying.

Natalie quickly left my side and bounded over to Chris who has already waiting for her with open arms. I waved to the twins that belonged to Chris’ band and made my way to Chris to wish him a happy birthday. He smiled and thanked me while looking way more at ease than he did when he was singing. He seemed to be happy surrounded by all of his friends.

I hadn’t noticed Leone in the large room but as soon as I walked away from Chris’s hug he was standing at my side. I wanted the earth to swallow me whole as I remembered the last time I had seen him where I was extremely drunk and practically beginning him to come up into my room.

“Hey tesorina,” he smiled and placed his arm around my shoulders in a quick side hug. I smiled tentatively as he took a swig from a can of coca cola. “How have you been as of late?”

“I’ve been good,” I moved away from his hug and grabbed a bottle of orange soda and took a sip before continuing, “being an adult and working, all that good stuff.”

“That’s great,” he smiled widely as he congratulated me, “so you’re working as a nurse now, how many shots have you given?”

I scrunched up my face before correcting him, “not exactly a nurse,” I mumbled because after hearing everyone think I had gotten a job as a nurse it was annoying to have to correct everyone and tell them I was actually a receptionist and most of my work was just calling people to remind them of their appointments.

“I’m a receptionist, I’m still waiting out to get a job at the Children’s Hospital.”

“Well, it’s a start.”

I shrugged my shoulders, “I know,” I said as I felt a kiss against my temple and an arm curl around my waist. Javier, it seemed, had managed to find the appropriate change and had come into the private room. I turned up to him and smiled before turning once more to Leone, “we’ve all got to start somewhere.”

A look of surprise came over his features before he shook it off and smiled again, “Exactly, I’m sure your big break will come. You’re incredibly smart as far as I can tell. There’s no one else in this room I’d rather get a shot and a Spiderman band-aid from.”

“You’re just saying that because I’m the only nurse here,” I laughed and felt Javier squeeze my hip gently as if asking when I was going to introduce him to Leone. “Oh,“ I exclaimed before motioning to Javier, “Javier this is Leone, Leone this is Javier.”

Leone extended his arm out to Javier and they did another of those asserting their masculinity handshakes. Javier, I could tell, was sizing him up, but I couldn’t come up as to a reason why. “Nice to meet you,” Javier said before placing his arm around my waist again.

“You too,” Leone started, “how do you know Chris?” he asked.

“I’m Natalie’s older brother,” he answered, “and Adriana’s boyfriend.”

Leone nodded and hid a smile when he saw I gave a side-eye glance to Javier who ignored it. “Oh cool, you were at our last show weren’t you?”

Javier nodded his head, “yeah, you guys should really come up with a name.” He glanced over Leone and squeezed my hip once more, “now if you’ll excuse us, we’re going to go say happy birthday to Chris.”

Leone nodded and smiled before he shuffled away to a group of guys who were eating pizza happily and talking too loudly.

“So I’m your girlfriend now?” I questioned as he grabbed a water bottle from the table in front of us.

He shrugged, “I guess so sweets.”

I rolled my eyes, not exactly the way a girl wanted to be asked or be told about her relationship status with someone else, “always the charmer,” I rolled my eyes and pulled him towards Chris who was still talking to Natalie.

“Happy birthday,” Javier said before they shook hands and Chris thanked him.

“Happy birthday,” I repeated enthusiastically and handed gift bag, “unfortunately, my mom didn’t have any birthday present bags and so I had to improvise,” he laughed loudly as he looked at the bag, “surprise! It’s a boy.”

“Oh thanks,” he said after he got his laughter under control and pulled out the burgundy beanie.

“No problem. I knitted that,” I smiled and he thanked me again before telling Javier and I that we were free to take from the food and drinks and if we wanted anything else to order it and he would take of it later.

Javier quickly made his way around the guest saying hello and catching up to people who he found out were shared acquaintances. One of them had gone to high school with Javier and so they stayed talking amongst themselves about the good old days as I left to talk to Natalie.

She was sitting at the food table eating a slice of Hawaiian pizza and picking off all the pieces of pineapple. I always wondered why she never just asked for pizza with just ham or pepperoni, but she always shrugged her shoulders and told me the pineapple gave it flavor but she didn’t like the actual taste of pineapple.

“How’s it going?” I asked as I slid into a seat next to her, “Chris left you alone?”

She nodded her head, “He’s the birthday boy, he has to make the rounds and say hi to everyone. He can’t just sit here with little old me.”

“You could have gone with him and said to everyone. You basically know everyone.”

She waved her hand, “Oh you know me, I would steal away all the attention from him with this,” she waved her hand over her face, “grand example of beauty.”

I laughed and leaned my head on her shoulder as I yawned, “Aren’t we modest?”

I could tell she had laughed as I felt her shoulders shake. Her hand started to pat down my hair and I was glad I had managed to straighten it in the morning before work or I’m sure her fingers would have gotten stuck somewhere between the black strands of curly hair.

“So, how did Javier ask you to start not dating him?” She served me some orange juice and topped it off with vodka. “Did he go all, hey babe wanna try this out again?” She tried to imitate her brother and did a horrible job, “hey babe, wanna make out in the back of my car? Or did he learn to be romantic.”

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the glass before asking here if she wasn’t going to make herself one. She had raised her bottle of soda and said she was going to drive Chris home and needed to be sober. I had nodded my head before mumbling, “Your brother is plenty romantic.”

She laughed, “What did he do Adriana?”

I took a sip of the drink and decided I might as well tell her, “He just said he regretted breaking up the last time and we kind of just went from there,” I shrugged my shoulders.

She hummed and pushed me off her shoulder, “Just going from there like you guys are doing isn’t the right way to start a relationship Adri, especially if you’re trying to be in a relationship again after he broke up with you a first time over some shitty excuse. I guess he regretted after a while, at least after things with his last girlfriend didn’t work out.”

“but that’s the thing,” I started and decided to ignore the comment about his last girlfriend, “he broke up with me, he should’ve been happy. He can’t just take it back and say he changed because he wanted us to change.”

“I don’t really care about Javier to be honest,” I furrowed my eyebrows, “I mean I do care about him cause he’s my brother and all, but I don’t care about him more than I do about you when it comes to this. But he broke up with you and got with another girl right after and you’re deciding to go back with him so easily. I just think this is the wrong thing to do.”

“I know that, trust me that puts a damper on everything and that’s why we’re not cementing anything.”

“I know you Adriana, and you need something to be full proof and cemented, you’re not happy unless you know where you stand with everyone.”

“Whatever,” I stuck my tongue at her and she raised her eyebrows and motioned at like as if saying: see, this is what I mean.

I was about to respond to her but the man of the hour had just walked up to us. Chris’ cheeks were tinted red as he leaned on Natalie’s shoulder and nuzzled his face into her neck. Natalie patted his head and cooed before he looked up and fixed the glasses on his nose.

“What were you two whispering about?”

He was a lot friendlier and outgoing when he had some drinks in him and I’m guessing he had had plenty as he went around the private room.

“Adriana here decided to start shaking up with my brother again.” I slapped her shoulder and narrowed my eyes at her, “even though she knows full well that it didn’t work out the last time and Javier’s the exact same as he was.”

I just shook my head and ignored her comment.

“I thought you were trying to get it on with Leone?”

Natalie smiled widely and I rolled my eyes, “no, you two were hoping I would start dating him after your,” I pointed to Natalie, “birthday party a month ago.”

“Well, that’s not what Leone told me,” Chris wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

“We only made out like twice, that hardly means I want to try and get it on with him,” I rolled my eyes, “besides he’s an ass for telling you that.”

“You made out with him?” Natalie whispered but screeched at the same time, a noise I hadn’t heard her make since I told her when I was seventeen that I might have been completely in love with her brother, “Twice? And you didn’t tell me?”

Chris eyes nearly bugged out of his head, “you made out with Leone? When?” he asked.

I rolled my eyes again, a habit I noticed I was doing more and more since I had been surrounded more and more by the Garcia siblings, “my mom’s car and his car, don’t act like he didn’t tell you.”

“I swear to God Adriana, he didn’t tell me,” he put his hands up, “if he had told me Natalie would have known and she would have never let it go.”

“Then why did you ask about Leone and I?” I asked letting it go because it had all happened before and there was no need to keep going over the events.

“I didn’t think you’d fall for that,” he turned to Natalie, “plus she told me to try and get anything out of Leone and since he didn’t say anything I thought might say something. We were right,” he exclaimed and raised his hand up for a high-five which Natalie happily returned and they snickered.

“You too are immature. You just turned 25, stop acting like you’re both in high school.” I finished the rest of my orange juice and vodka.

“Wait,” Natalie began and I was sure she was going to begin interrogating me about when I had kissed Leone. She was going to go on and try to figure out if I had already started dating Javier and if it meant that I had feelings for Leone. Just because Natalie felt Javier and I weren’t suited for each other it didn’t mean that she wouldn’t protect her older brother. She is fiercely protective of all her friends and family but even more so about her brother since her parents had left for Seattle. What she asked me I wasn’t expecting, “you made out in the mini cooper?” she laughed loudly, so loudly that she snorted and covered up her face as her shoulders shook.

“Yes,” I started, “I’ll let you know that the mini cooper was the reason it ended.”

I narrowed my eyes.

“God that must have been so uncomfortable. One time Chris and I started making out in his car—he has a like 30 year old Chevy pickup truck—and we were over by the kiddy beach by Pacific Beach and these little kids came up to the truck cause their mom had parked next to us. Well, we weren’t in the best position to answer to the mother because I mean it was like ten at night. What was this woman doing with her children at the beach at ten at night? Does she not know about the tides? Anyways Chris and I were barely about to—”

Chris started burning red before interrupting Natalie before she went more in detail about their car session, “at least you weren’t in a smart car, imagine that.”

“Oh, we should rent one and try it out,” Natalie told Chris as she grabbed his arm.

“I think you’ve had too much to drink?” Chris whispered to her, but in his state I could hear him perfectly fine from where I was sitting.

“I haven’t drunk anything!” Natalie exclaimed, “I’m driving you home later, remember?”

“That’s even worse!” Chris muttered to which he received a slap on the arm from Natalie.

Chris walked away from Natalie and I muttering something about abusive girlfriends and joined another group. Natalie smiled before turning back around and taking a sip of orange soda.

“I’m so excited for tonight,” she started.

“God Natalie, I don’t need to know about whatever you and Chris like getting up to. It’s bad enough you started on about that beach story and now I know you want to get it on in a smart car. I don’t need to know this.”

“It’s not about that, you know I’m much more subtle when it comes to talking about my sex life—”

“Subtle is exactly what people think of when you’re mentioned,” I interrupted her.

She narrowed her eyes before continuing, “I got him a really good present. I had a lot of miles saved up and so we’re going to New York City to visit his parents in a month when we both have vacation time.”

“He’s from New York?” I asked her because I didn’t know too much about Chris and I was only just realizing that. Chris and Natalie had started dating when I was still living in Los Angeles. Whenever we saw each other he was either drunk, performing or way too engrossed in Natalie to have a full conversation with anyone else.

“Mmmh,” she nodded her head, “his parents moved to San Diego when he was 13 and moved back to New York when he started going to State. When he graduated he stayed here, got a job, and moved in with Matt. He hasn’t been back to New York to visit his parents in like two years and so we’re going together. It’ll be my first time on the east coast,” she paused and sighed loudly. “I really want his parents to like me Adriana.”

“They’ll love you, you’re the most lovable and friendly person on the planet. They’d be crazy not to love you.”

“We’ve been dating for two years already and we’ve been talking about the future, like what if his parents don’t like me. How would work out? And you know I cannot handle people not liking me?”

“Calm down Natalie, they’ll love you I’m sure of it. Besides, if they don’t love you then it really doesn’t matter. Chris loves you and I’m sure his parent’s opinions won’t change it. Plus, they’re all the way on the other side of the country, you don’t even have to deal with them if you don’t want to.”

“I guess you’re right,” she smiled, “I just know I wouldn't be able to deal with having them not liking me, I mean I don’t know how you deal with your mom and brother not liking Javier.”

I frowned and my shoulders hunched over at Natalie bringing up the fact that no one in my family like Javier. My mom because she had constantly driven up to Los Angeles and consoled me when Javier had dumped me over a year ago. Salvador didn’t like him because he thought he was rude and inconsiderate after he had badmouthed his then fiancée Isabel and then hadn’t bothered to apologize or go to the wedding.

It wasn’t all bad since Javier seemed to hate them all also and so they rarely met or spoke to one another. It was still strange having to keep two parts of my life separate. I looked back at Javier who was still talking to his high school friend. I narrowed my eyes once I saw he was holding a bottle of beer in one hand.

Natalie noticed I was thinking hard about her comment and she frowned before swinging her arm over my shoulders, "I'm just kidding Adriana, Javier's a bit of an asshole but when thing's are serious he'll work through it. Plus, if your mom cooks for him then he'll love her and he'll try to impress her and get on her good side."

I nodded my head.

"You know how guys are, they're never willing to put in the effort until they absolutely know there'll a reward."

I nodded my head again, but her last statement left me even more confused. I should have been reward enough for someone. I don't think I'm God's gift to humanity, but I know I'm a pretty great person and if I was a guy I would've been ecstatic to have someone like me in my life.

This was the exact reason Javier and I had decided not to make anything official. We were just going along with the motions--the feelings still there but we weren't in high school anymore and there was no need to let the world know we were together. It was nice being together and not having to stress about where we stood in relation to one another. I enjoyed his company and he did mine, there was no need to complicate it.

Though things aren't always uncomplicated and I noticed it was that way when he grabbed another beer from the table in front of him and proceeded to drink with his friends. Javier although he was no alcoholic really like to drink and once he started he couldn't just stop after one drink. I had never seen him completely black out drunk, but I also knew if there was alcohol then he couldn't resist. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with him drinking, especially since I am not a prime example of sobriety, but I kicked myself for not reminding him that he was supposed to drive me home. I should have known, with alcohol available and old friends around he would start drinking.

I forgot all about Javier and his friends as Natalie kept on blabbering on and on about how excited she was to go to New York City I forgot all about Javier and his drinking and focused on Natalie who was so enamoured with Chris that she was already planning what she was going to wear when she met his parents and possible topics of conversations.

By the time Natalie had through all her possible clothing options and Chris had come back and settled his face into her neck, I decided it was as good a time as any to head out. Chris seemed like he was over having people congratulate him and he had said if he drank another shot or beer he was going to feel completely horrible the next morning. I had laughed and told him to enjoy it since a person only turns a quarter of a century once and he laughed before standing up straight and leaving us to go talk to the drummer of his band as he had just made it in with a petite brunette on his side.

Natalie being his girlfriend had followed behind him and started talking to the brunette as Matt congratulated Chris and apologized for being so late over and over again. I quickly checked my pockets and walked over to Javier and shook my head as I noticed the empty beer bottles in front of him and his two friends. His friend turned to the other guy lounging on the chair next to him and I got closer to Javier.

“God, you’re such an ass,” I told him as he grabbed what I counted was the third beer though there might have been in the time I left to talk Natalie about her upcoming trip. “You’re supposed to be driving me home later.”

“Call Salvador Adri, I’m probably going to take a taxi back home since Natalie’s going off with Chris,” I rolled my eyes and shook my head at him, he sighed before trying to pull me to down to sit next to him. “I’ll give you fare for a taxi Luz.”

I rolled my eyes, “save your fifteen dollars Javier. You can be such a…you can be so rude!” I half whispered yelled at him because as angry as I was, I didn’t want to embarrass him and myself in the middle of Chris’ party.

“Come on Adri, I’ll call a cab and I’ll take us both home, ok. Just wait for an hour or something,” he rolled his eyes and pushed his hand through his hair.

I narrowed my eyes, “don’t bother. Just stay here drinking and talking to your friends, Javier.” I shoved his arm away from me before turning and walking back to the stools that Natalie had settled herself at once more.

“I’m going home Natalie,” I smiled as I walked up to her.

“Oh, so soon?” she stood up and hugged me, “tell Javier that once he gets home he needs to call me and feed Daisy.”

“Tell him yourself Natalie,” I muttered angrily.

“Whoa whoa whoa,” Natalie started, “what had gotten into you? What did Javier do?”

“You’re asshole of a brother decided to drink when he knew he was supposed to either take me home or back to your house,” I frowned and she petted my head.

“How are you going to get home then?” she asked, “I would take you home but I’m taking Chris home and staying there with him.”

I shrugged while I picked at the dirt underneath my fingernails. “I’ll call Salvador.”

“He’s not here right now, he’s visiting Isabel’s family.”

I cursed inwardly because it was true, Salvador was in Orange County visiting his wife’s family. There really was no use in calling Salvador or anyone at home since my mom would definitely be dead asleep and Gabriela was sleeping over at a friends house.

I should’ve taken those fifteen dollars from Javier.

“Hold on, I’ll tell Chris that we’ll give you a ride and then we’ll go over to his place,” she smiled.

I grabbed her hand before she could fully get off the stool she was sitting on, “don’t, I’m sure he doesn’t want me messing up whatever plans you two had.”

“It’s like 5 minutes away, we have all night long,” she wiggled her eyebrows and tried to thrust suggestively but she couldn’t in the position she was in.

“I live close to downtown and Chris basically lives in Tijuana, Natalie. It’ll be like 40 minutes for you to drop me off and then drive down to Chris’. I’ll take a taxi, it’s cheap and fast.” I let her arm go and she sat back down.

“Fine, but call me as soon as you get home. As soon as you get to into your house I need you to call me and I want to hear Gaby’s or your mom’s voice to make sure you're home. You don’t know what type of people are out there Adri.”

“I will, love you,” I kissed her cheek and waved goodbye to Chris. Javier was standing from the chair he was sitting on but I glared at him and he smiled somewhat apologetically before waving and grabbing a beer. I would’ve thought he was smarter than to drink in front of me as I left.

I waved again to Natalie and Chris as I walked out of the small private room. It was around ten-thirty pm and I knew getting a cab wouldn’t difficult since they all seemed to be in downtown waiting for someone to call them over.

“Who are you calling?” a voice to my right said and I almost dropped my phone as I heard the voice, they chuckled and continued, “I didn’t mean to scare you Adriana.”

“Jesus,” I muttered, “don’t creep around outside bars then. People might get a bad idea,” I locked my cell phone and turned to Leone, he raised his hands up before pulling a carton of cigarettes from his jeans and a lighter.

“Who are you calling?” he asked again as he saw me grab my phone again.

“A cab company, I’m going home.”

“Isn’t your boyfriend going to give you a ride home?” he asked and then put the cigarette between his lips before lighting it.

“No, because he’s a self-centered ass,” I muttered before I could even think. “I’m sorry, no. An old friend of his from high school was invited and they decided to catch up and began drinking. We’re both just taking cabs home. Now excuse me,” I held up my finger and started to google a cab company.

“Don’t worry about that Adriana, I’ll take you home,” he took a drag from his cigarette and let it hang from his lips.

“No, it’s good,” I smiled and raised my phone, “it’ll be quicker this way, plus I wouldn’t want to take you away from Chris party.”

He shook his head, “I’ll drive you home, I need to go in that direction anyway. It’s no problem,” he grabbed my phone and locked before placing it in my jacket’s pocket, “plus, my conscience wouldn’t let me live if I knew I hadn’t offered you a ride home when I knew you needed one.”

“Really, it’s no problem. It’s probably about fifteen dollars to get there.”

“I’m not taking a no for an answer Adriana,” he took another drag and shrugged, “so you might as well save us both some time and breathe and just agree with me. It’ll save you fifteen dollars.”

I shrugged my shoulders and gave up.

“You shouldn’t be smoking, as a trained nurse I am compelled to tell you that it is extremely detrimental to your health. Plus the smell is always in your hair and your clothes and your teeth will get all yellow. The ladies will run away from you,” I sang the last part.

“I have found that the ladies like the bad boy image smoking gives off,” he took one last puff of the cigarette and threw it on the floor. His black leather boots stomped it out and he leaned against the bar’s wall.

“Hmm, and where are they know,” I gestured to the empty space around us and he laughed loudly.

“You’ve got me there. I only smoke on rare occasions, I don’t let myself get addicted.”

“Hmm, that’s what you said, but I bet you have a pack of cigarettes on you, a pack in your car and a pack next to your bed.”

“I do not Adriana,” he said in mock offense, “I’ll let you know my pack of cigarettes are next to my computer which is on top of my cabinets.”

“Oh my, I’m sorry for that grave mistake, please forgive me Leone,” I muttered sarcastically.

“Tell me the truth,” he paused and crossed her arms over his chest before leaning against a railing. “There must have been some teenage rebellion somewhere, you must have smoked a cigarette at some point in your life.”

I paused and smiled as good memories flooded back to me, “There was some teenage rebellion, but it was later in the teenage years. I was in Paris and was at a café with some friends and decided to have some wine and a cigarette, just like everyone else was doing. I decided then and there that I hated both and never tried either again.”

“Hmmm,” he nodded his head and scratched his chin where small hairs were beginning to show, “you wouldn’t make it a day at my house Adriana, all my mother drinks is wine and all my brothers smoke as if we still lived in Italy.”

“Well, good thing you’ve never invited me to your house.”

“If you play your cards right, you’ll get an invitation,” he winked and I smacked his shoulder.

“No need to be violent Adriana,” he laughed, “if you’re going to resort to violence over it than I extend an invitation right this moment.”

I rolled my eyes, “come on Leone, do what you’re supposed to do and drive me home.”

He rolled his eyes and bowed before extending his arm out, “after you my lady.”

“Thank you Mister—” I paused and tried to think of his last name before realizing I didn’t know it, he laughed and said it out loud, “Mr. Cerruti.”

Leone led us to his car and I was glad this wasn’t like last time and I wasn’t extremely drunk or trying to lead him up to my room because it was a nice night and I was enjoying just walking. His car was parked a few blocks away from the bar and our entire walk was spent in silence as we walked next to each other. As always he opened the car door before ushering me in and walking quickly to the driver’s seat.

“You don’t drink a lot do you?” I ask him as he began driving and I curled my knees up to my chest.

He shook his head, “If the occasion calls for it I do, but I have to work on a car early tomorrow for my uncle and I never drink when I know there might be pretty girls in need of rides home.” I rolled my eyes, “I’m only joking Adriana,” I missed how he used to call me tesorina, “I know you’re with someone or whatever. I’m just being a good Samaritan and giving a damsel in distress a ride home.”

“Well thank you,” I mumbled, “you didn’t have to do this, Javier was supposed to bring me home, but he was being an ass. Salvador would’ve picked me up, but he’s visiting his wife’s family up in Orange County.”

“It’s no problem, it’ll just be twenty bucks for gas,” he smiled.

“Unfortunately, this damsel is not in distress and she also didn’t bring her wallet,” I smiled.

He smiled and shook his head before changing his car radio to FM instead of the jazz CD. The rest of our drive was silent. He parked quickly at the end of the driveway and turned off the engine, but the sound of soft music was still in the car.

“Can I ask you a question?” Leone asked as he looked towards me expectantly. He rubbed his bottom lip with his thumb and shifted his body towards me.

“Shoot.”

“A few weeks ago, after the show at the Tavern. Were you seeing Natalie’s brother?”

“Oh god no,” I shook my head quickly, “if I was with him at the time there would have been no way I would’ve been all over you like I was.”

“Hmm, that’s good to know then,” he smiled and turned on the engine once more.

“Why?” I asked and furrowed my eyebrows.

“No reason at all Adriana,” he put the car in drive, “I’ll see you some other time Adriana. Take care.”

“You too Leone,” I smiled before getting out of the car. He saluted me and stayed in the driveway until I entered my house.

Once inside my cell phone started ringing and I ran up the stairs while trying to silence the phone that was in my jacket's pocket. I slowly closed my door and put the phone up to my ear.

"Adri," I rolled my eyes as I heard Javier's muffled voice, "did you get home safely?"

I nodded my head, "yeah I did, I just came in."

"That's good," he paused and I could hear some music behind him and I could tell he was still at Chris's party. "I'm sorry for drinking tonight Adriana."

I shook my head and shrugged out of my jacket, "I got home safe Javi, don't worry about it."

"I know Adri, but I'm still sorry. I need to try harder cause you're my girl and all," I smiled as I heard him. "Anyway, I just called to see if you got home and to say sorry."

"It's fine Javi."

"I'll see you soon Adri. I love you."

"Love you too," I smiled into the phone and felt giddy all over.

"Goodnight," he said and I could tell he was smiling from the other side.
♠ ♠ ♠
part II