Status: Complete!

Truck Stops and Statelines

sunday

Before.


Relationships are like puzzles, often tricky and sometimes hard to figure out. It can take days, weeks, or even months to properly put together and complete a perfect puzzle. First you need to sort out the pieces – separate the edges from the middle and then you work your way from the outside in. After many trials and errors, things will start to come together and progress will be made. The important thing to remember is that there are many possibilities and to always try all options, never, ever giving up.

That’s how relationships work. All couples go through the motions, they have their ups and downs, good days and bad days, but with real commitment, they can push through and complete their perfect puzzle.

For Kellin and Vic though, it seemed as if they were ready to give up. Toss aside the pieces and scrap the whole thing. Why hang on and try to put together something that just doesn’t fit? You can’t force pieces together, they have to match, or else the project ends in total chaos.

It was the time of day where the sun was highest in the sky, brightening up the outside surroundings. The colors were golden, everything looking royal and illustrious and the air was warm, almost to the point where it became unbearable to be in.

The heat only added to Kellin’s frustrations as he lugged his bags out of the small condo, huffing and puffing, making sure he was heard. Each grunt grew louder than the next while he struggled to keep his bags from falling over onto the sidewalk. He dragged himself to Vic’s car, opening the trunk with a growl. “I don’t know why you insist on doing this. Why don’t you just fucking break up with me?” Kellin hissed, tossing his bags in the back of Vic’s four-door. “We can barely be in the same room together and now you want to put us in a tiny car for an entire week?”

“Yes.” Vic said calmly, following Kellin’s actions and shoving his luggage in the back. “Just give it a try? If it doesn’t work out then-“

“Then what? You’ll finally break free from me?” Kellin stood facing Vic, his hands on his hips and a scowl on his face.

“Kellin!” Vic whined out in frustration, his hand went up to his temple, rubbing gentle circles to try and calm himself down.

“What?” Kellin snapped, moving his hands from his hips and crossing his arms over his chest. Anger, irritation, agony all ran through him as he stood outside in the blistering summer heat trying to talk some sense into his estranged boyfriend.

Vic sighed, his shoulders falling in defeat. “Do you even love me at all?” He asked, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. Once upon a time, he and Kellin were in love, but even that seemed like an understatement. In romantic comedies, love is always glamourized and over-exaggerated and most of the time it was total absurdity. No one could really fall in love like that. People just didn’t work that way. Well, most people. Kellin and Vic weren’t like most people. They had that stupid, amplified movie love. Kellin was the type of boyfriend who would bring home flowers for Vic, just because it was a Monday. Vic was the boyfriend who took Kellin on spontaneous dates, just because he loved him. They were crazy, head over heels, and mad for each other.

Then things changed.

Kellin’s stance softened a bit as he watched Vic’s tiny figure convulse with sadness. “Of course I do.” That wasn’t a lie, technically. Kellin still loved Vic very much, but he felt as though their relationship had hit its expiration date. It’s a common thing. Sometimes relationships end, that’s the way life works.

“Then just try this for me! Please!” The older male cried out, knowing that this was the very last option. Everything inside of him wanted to try and fight to make this relationship work. There was no way he was ready to let Kellin go just yet.

Kellin just nodded, giving into Vic like it was his specialty, and it was. He could never say no to his boyfriend, which is why they stayed together instead of breaking up like any normal couple would do once the relationship ran it’s course.

It all happened so fast. One day they were cuddling on the couch, watching a movie and the next they were screaming at each other, throwing tantrums like they were children. Vic didn’t know what happened, for everything seemed so perfect. It was as if something inside Kellin cracked and he became cold, neglecting Vic, coming home late, ignoring any advance the older boy made.

It had been a little over a month since their first major fight and each day only grew worse. The fights became extreme, leading to Kellin throwing things and breaking picture frames. Each day Kellin transformed into a more violent person and although fearful, Vic knew Kellin would never actually hurt him, not physically anyway.

Kellin’s words stung as he spewed a new bitter sentence at Vic. This beautiful boy he once adored so much was turning into a stranger, a monster, but Vic wasn’t giving up.

That’s why he decided on surprising Kellin with a week long trip to Disney World. They’d start at home in California and travel through seven states, spending one day in each of them and then driving throughout the night, stopping for rest in between. Vic thought maybe it would help them rekindle the flame, creating that wonderful spark that they once carried. Being on vacation can often lead to inspiration, and that’s what the Mexican was counting on.

Kellin, however, saw everything differently. He didn’t see the trip as a way to mend their relationship; he saw it as a way to torture them 24/7. Disney World was nice, he loved the place, but he wasn’t sure if they’d actually make it to their destination without one of them murdering the other.

After packing up the car, they slid into the front, Vic behind the steering wheel as Kellin pouted in the passenger seat. The radio played faintly in the background, the sounds of Queen flooding through the speakers. Kellin closed his eyes, taking deep breaths to keep himself calm as Vic pulled out of the parking space. His mind drifted off to before, when he and Vic were still in their ‘honeymoon phase’. It was perfect, the way they melded so well with each other. What happened? “Hey, Vic.” He murmured, cracking his eyes open slightly.

“Hmm?” Vic hummed, flicking the turn signal on to exit out of their complex.

“Can we even be fixed?” The tone in Kellin’s voice wasn’t his usual one of disgust, but instead genuine concern. Maybe he did want this just as bad as Vic.

Vic sighed with a shrug. “I don’t know, but I’m willing to try.”

Kellin just nodded, closing his eyes once again as he let his head rest against the window. They had one week to fix their problems. One week on the road together, alone with no one else. Seven days to try and heal their bruised relationship. Once they reached their destination in Florida, they’d decide – stay together or end it for good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi I'm writing a new fic and I'd really like some feedback because that will determine whether or not I continue with this. Okay thank. Bye.