Status: Complete!

Truck Stops and Statelines

tuesday

Day Two.


Vic’s tiny car made it’s way across the rocks of the road, each bump waking Kellin even more. His low groan signaled that he felt every hit, discomfort coursing through him as his head smacked against the window. “Ow, fuck. Can’t you drive properly?” He snapped, running a hand through his hair and stopping at the point of contact. Applying pressure he groaned again, the pain still lingering. “Where are we even?”

“New Mexico.” Vic’s reply was short, followed by an eye roll, which Kellin quickly ignored. “And maybe if you didn’t slouch against the door, you wouldn’t be having that problem right now.”

Kellin scoffed, reaching forward to grab a bottle of water and an aspirin from the bag on the ground. “What’s on the agenda today?” Kellin’s words were anything but excited. He sighed in discontent as he continued to ruffle through the bag.

“I gave you a fucking list of everything we’re doing. Maybe you should put those wandering eyes to good use.”

Kellin swallowed, biting his lip at Vic’s choice of words. Yes, there had been more than one incident where Kellin would let his eyes rake over another man’s body, or perhaps he’d let his hands linger too long on another’s man leg.

Vic noticed everything, but he never questioned Kellin. Part of him felt like that just because they were having problems didn’t mean that Kellin would cheat, but he wasn’t entirely sure, and he didn’t want to know the truth.

“Can’t you just tell me?” Kellin finally asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence. Sometimes Vic’s stubbornness wanted to make him yank out his hair.

“We’re going on a cave tour. Are you happy now? We planned this in advance, do you seriously not remember? Jesus Christ, Kellin, it’s like you don’t even give a shit.” The older male’s rant came out through jagged breath as he tried to keep himself calm. His thoughts were swirling as he made a sharp turn around the bend, part of him hoping the car would swerve right off the cliff and kill them both on impact. Anything would better than listening to Kellin whine.

“You don’t have to get so snappy with me. This little trip was your idea, remember?” Kellin retorted, his eyes shifted from the road, landing on Vic. For a brief moment he wished he had the ability to make someone explode with his mind. If that were the case, little bits of Vic would be scattered throughout the car.

Their intense dislike for each other was getting worse; the trip wasn’t working at all. Then again, it was only the second day. Vic could still wish for things to turn around, though.

And wish he would.

---


“Okay, so a few things to know about this tour,” The guide began, walking around the small group of maybe 10 people. “One – it’s going to be a bit chilly, so I hope you all brought a sweater, or light jacket or something. Temperatures vary around the fifty-degree mark. Second – make sure your shoes are appropriate, you’re gonna need some traction, rubber sole shoes are the best.” The man went off, listing things that could be useful for going into the cave.

Kellin sighed, shifting his weight and leaning into Vic. “Isn’t this typically the kind of shit they’re supposed to tell you beforehand?”

Against his will, Vic let out a chuckle. Kellin was right, though. What good is it to tell them all of this information at the time of the visit? “Shh, pay attention.” Vic murmured through a smile.

The crooked smirk on Vic’s lips sent a small warmth through Kellin. It was the first time in a long time that Vic had given a genuine smile. Usually his beautiful face dawned a frown, or a scowl, but now, here, before a cave, a smile planted itself rightfully against his smooth, plush lips and for a second, Kellin had missed those lips.

Vic’s kisses were always the best. He put so much love and passion into them and every time he’d plant his lips on Kellin’s, he always made him feel like the only man in the world.

It had been too long since they’d kissed, but Kellin was mostly to blame. For a while now he’d refuse to be intimate in any way whatsoever. So after many failed attempts, Vic quit trying.

They shuffled forward, slowly entering the cave. The darkness engulfed them for a second before the guide turned on his flashlight. “So, Carlsbad Cavern,” Their guide, whose name happened to be Rick, began his little speech about the history of the landmark and what exactly they would be seeing.

Once again, Kellin found himself tuning out, looking around at the mystical area that surrounded them. He watched as Vic followed along intently, studying his boyfriend’s every move. As Vic concentrated hard on Rick’s words, his eyebrows furrowed together, something he did a lot when he was trying to process something. Kellin always found it quite charming because it gave actual proof that he was paying attention. When Vic would get bored, he’d push out his bottom lip, holding part of it between his teeth as his eyes glazed over. Kellin always hated that look for it happened far too often during a number of conversations they would have. Then there was his signature stance. Arms crossed across his chest, his biceps would normally show if he weren’t covered up in a sweatshirt.

No matter how many men Kellin had set his eyes on, none of them had arms like Vic.

His eyes moved from Vic’s crossed arms to his hair, softly curled and hidden underneath a beanie Kellin had bought him for Christmas one year. Vic’s silky locks were always fun to run his hands through, they were so delicate to the touch, and it felt like satin threading through his fingers.

Finally he focused on his nose, the one part of Vic that Kellin always found to be the most adorable. It wasn’t just the nose ring; although it did add something sexy, but it was the way it would twitch when he was thinking hard, fluttering as ideas poured through his brain.

Vic was too good for him. He was this flawless human being, with a heart the size of Texas, and Kellin had taken advantage of that. This trip didn’t need to bring them together; it needed to show Vic that he should be free.

---


The tour lasted maybe an hour, many times Vic had tried to reach out to Kellin to hold his hand, but the younger male always pulled away. He knew that Vic would be hurt, but it was something he felt he needed to do.

After some walking around, taking photographs and drinking in the view, and then checking into a small motel, they had made their way to a quaint restaurant just outside of town.

It was a nice place, warm on the inside like they would be dining in someone’s home. The decorations were old-fashioned, and family photos lined the walls, each person with a giant smile on their face.

The two boys were placed at a small table in the middle of the room. There were a few other customers, but not too many. It wasn’t busy at all and that’s how Kellin’s eyes ended up on the cute waiter who was serving just one table away.

He let himself study the boy in front of him. He was tall, brown shaggy hair that was pin straight falling just above his neck. His eyes were a perfect shade of brown, capturing the light in such a way that they almost looked black. His complexion was tan, completely smooth and flawless and Kellin couldn’t help but wonder what he looked like underneath his uniform.

The waiter turned just in time to catch Kellin glancing at him, a small blush appearing on his face as he made his way over to their table.

“Hi, I’m Anthony and I’ll be your server today. Can I start you off with some drinks?” Anthony paid close attention to Kellin, giving him a knowing smirk as he wrote down their order.

It was as if Vic didn’t even exist.

As the night went on, Kellin found himself stealing glances at Anthony, smiling at him from time to time or, when Vic wasn’t looking, adding the occasional wink. They were harmless actions that Kellin wouldn’t act upon.

Or at least that’s what he thought until he excused himself to go to the restroom, bumping into the attractive waiter as he was exiting the room. “Well, hello.” Kellin’s voice switched to a lower register, a certain tone in his voice as he spoke. “Anthony, right?”

Anthony nodded, his smile growing wide. “Yes, and I don’t believe I got your name?”

“Kellin,” He replied quickly. “Kinda rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?” He stepped forward, resting his hand on Anthony’s arm, and watching as the look in his eyes changed. “Just imagine what else my tongue can do.” Without thinking, Kellin found himself moving closer to Anthony’s body, his hands running up his arms and their lips just inches apart.

A loud slam could be heard from out in the dining area and Kellin snapped back into reality, looking around to see that he had been caught in a daze. “I, uh, I have to go.” He dashed out of the hallway, noticing Vic was gone. “Fuck.” He muttered, grabbing his wallet and leaving cash on the table before running out of the restaurant. “Vic, wait!” He called out frantically.

“No, fuck you, Kellin!” Vic shouted back as he reached the car. “I should have known, I should have fucking known!” The tears came involuntarily, the hot moisture sliding down his cheeks.

“Stop, just let me explain!” Kellin tried to reason, but there really wasn’t anything to say.

“Explain what? That you’re a cheater? A filthy liar? That you’ll fuck anything that moves as long as it isn’t me? Go to hell, Kellin. You can walk to the motel. I don’t give a shit.” Without giving Kellin time to respond, Vic got into his car, slamming the door shut and peeling away.

The dust gathered quickly around the other boy, a cough flaring up in his lungs as he tried to swat the pollution away.

He sighed, watching as the dirt cleared. There was nothing left to do. He had no other option but to walk to the motel.

---


It had taken him longer than he expected, and he was covered in dirt and sweat, completely out of breath, but Kellin finally managed to make it to the motel. Using his key, he entered the room, instantly coming into contact with Vic who was just lying on the bed in silence.

He looked so helpless, lost, and completely miserable. Deep down it killed Kellin to see him like this. Vic was never the sad type. He was always energetic and bubbly, trying to make everyone see the bright side of things and have fun.

Now he looked dead.

“Vic, I-“

“I don’t want to hear it, Kellin. Just leave me alone.” He closed his eyes, shifting on the bed and sliding his hand underneath the pillow.

It wasn’t his usual sleeping position, Kellin noticed, but it still seemed to work because seconds later, Vic was off in a dreamland, a land far better than this one.

Kellin watched him for a few minutes, his heart sinking with each breath that Vic took. He was so beautiful, so perfect; he didn’t deserve to be put through this hell.

Feeling tired, Kellin got up from his position on the floor and made his way to the other side of the bed. Carefully he lay down, his body sinking into the mattress as he applied his weight. He turned to his side, clutching his hands in front of his body as he thought back to the first time he ever cheated on Vic.

It was after their first big fight. Kellin had felt so stranded; he’d never had a fight that big with Vic before. All of their disputes were little, easily fixable, but this seemed outrageous. He got scared; he went to a bar, and a few drinks later, he left with someone else, returning that morning with a serious hangover and guilt swirling around in his stomach.

The worst part was, he knew that today if Vic weren’t at the restaurant, he would have gone home with Anthony. As he tried to drift off to sleep, he felt disgusted with himself, allowing the scene from earlier to replay in his head. He almost kissed someone else, when Vic was just a few meters away. He was a horrible boyfriend, a horrible person.

“I’m so sorry, Vic.” He muttered, squeezing his eyes shut to try and get some sleep, pushing the thoughts away for another day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I should probably mention that this story is only 8 chapters.