Status: Complete!

Truck Stops and Statelines

wednesday

Day Three.


Dreams are images that float through a person’s mind at their most calming times, during sleep or in a daze, and like Cinderella once said, “a dream is a wish your heart makes”. So that night as Kellin slept, images skipped through his mind, causing a feeling of blind happiness once again. Each illustration that he came in contact with was a joyful memory, or a hopeful animation – all of it revolving around one certain boy, Vic.

If dreams were wishes that a heart made, Kellin’s heart was wishing for Vic.

When Kellin woke up that morning, he was hit with the blinding sun, streaming in through the opened curtain of the motel window. The entire room blazed with the light, almost as if the sun were in the room with him. Next to him, the bed was empty, a cold sensation hanging over it.

As he stretched, his body feeling stiff from falling asleep, and staying asleep, in one position, the events of the night before came flooding back to him. Regret pooled in the pit of his stomach, remembering that he had been a total flirt, and so close to cheating, again.

The thought of giving up situated itself in Kellin’s mind. After all, that was what he wanted since the trip had started. It was Vic who kept pushing, trying to make them work, but Kellin didn’t want any part of it. Last night should have solidified that fact. Vic was better off without him.

However, the vivid dream he had just awoken from; the one where he and Vic were back at their condo, snuggled in bed, sharing gentle kisses, completely erased the idea altogether.

Whatever it took, Kellin would do it if it meant getting his relationship with Vic back on track. At the end of the day, they were in love; they were part of a puzzle, one that was yet to be complete.

That thought fresh in his mind, he jolted out of bed, desperate to find Vic and start over. He moved as fast as his feet would carry him out of the room, not bothering to brush his teeth or check his hair. As he stepped into the summer heat, his eyes found Vic, packing their belongings in the trunk of his car. This would be the perfect time, Kellin thought. They’d get back on the road and Kellin would be extra attentive, he’d make conversation, answer Vic when he asked a question, basically he’d be the perfect boyfriend he knew he was capable of being.

“Vic!” Kellin yelled, jogging to the car with a shy smile on his face. He had hoped that a good night’s rest would have helped soothe things over, just a tiny bit.

Instead of returning the gesture, Vic grimaced, practically flinching at the chipper tone in Kellin’s voice. “We’re going home.” He stated clearly, throwing the last bag in the back and slamming the hatch shut.

Kellin’s face fell, the once tiny smile vanished. Was he hearing things correctly? “No…Vic, why?”

Vic turned his attention to Kellin, disbelief written across his face. Had Kellin forgotten about the little incident that happened just hours ago? He was ready to suck face with a total stranger when Vic was still in the room. He gave a gentle sigh to calm himself down. The last thing he needed was another argument out in public. “Because you were right Kellin.” He kicked at the dirt, letting his harms fold across his chest. “This isn’t going to work.”

The younger male shook his head furiously, his words getting tangled as he tried to form a proper sentence quickly. “Wait, Vic-“

“Enough. I don’t…this isn’t up for discussion.”

“No! Vic, please. I need to explain myself, tell you the truth. Just give me one more day. Please. Please?” Kellin was desperate. All he wanted was for he and Vic to get into that car and head for Texas.

As always, Vic felt himself listening intently. Kellin always had a way to capture his interest, even just by talking. Maybe it was the desperation in Kellin’s voice, or the fact that Vic was completely blinded by his love for the boy, but he slowly nodded in agreement, keeping quietly to himself as Kellin sighed in relief. He’d go along on the trip. But he had one thing in mind. One thing he needed to do. For himself.

“Fine, Kellin, but just know this.” Vic started, he stood tall, his stance hardening as his eyes locked with Kellin’s crystal blue ones. For a moment he found himself getting lost; those eyes were always so alluring. Before falling into some trance, he shook his thoughts away. He needed to do this. “We are no longer together.”

Breathing seemed impossible for Kellin as he felt his body grow weak. “W-what?”

“I’m breaking up with you.”

“Vic, you can’t…”

“It’s done, Kellin.” Vic was serious. It started last night when he left Kellin stranded at the restaurant. After pulling to the side of the road so he didn’t cause an accident, he let his thoughts form together. Those thoughts told him that their relationship was done, over, there was simply nothing left to salvage. And when he returned to the motel, that’s when he decided that it was time to end things. “We’ll continue on this trip because you want to, and as sick as it is, I’d do anything for you. But we are no longer boyfriends. Not even friends. When we get to Florida, we can go our separate ways and you can feel free to bang the next waitress you see.”

Vic’s words were like a dull knife, cutting through Kellin’s very being at a ragged pace so to draw out the pain. “No, please. Vic, don’t do this. I made a mistake, okay, I fucked up. But I can make it up to you. I promise! I can be a better boyfriend. Don’t leave me, don’t fucking leave me!” Kellin was determined, his tune changed so quickly, there was no way he was letting Vic go that easily.

“Stop fighting it. Just get in the car. We’re already behind schedule.” Vic shrugged, sliding into the passenger seat and waiting.

Why had he agreed to continue on this ridiculous trip? Everything inside of him told him it was a mistake, a horrible idea, but the way Kellin looked with his eyes close to tears and the distress in his voice, had him giving in within seconds.

That was the dangerous thing with the two of them. No matter how horrible, or wretched they treated each other, if one of them wanted something from the other, they’d always give in.

---


Arriving in Texas didn’t seem to lighten the mood at all. The roles were reversed, as Kellin was now the one trying desperately to pick up the pieces while Vic was still adamant on the fact that they were broken up.

Kellin wouldn’t have it, though. Vic could scream and shout and sing it from the mountain tops, but as far as he was concerned, they were still together. Vic wanted it, clearly, or he wouldn’t have agreed to spend four more days on the road with him.

“Are you hungry?” Kellin asked, trying to get Vic’s attention, but it was hopeless. Vic remained silent; twitching in his seat each time Kellin said one word to him. “We could check out that boardwalk? Grab some food, walk around…”

“I don’t care, Kellin.” Vic spat, anger surging through him. The Kemah Boardwalk was something Vic had looked forward to most on the trip, but now the thought of going anywhere with Kellin had him agitated. Who’s to say Kellin wouldn’t try to fuck a stranger on the pier, or get handsy with one on a ride.

Yeah, Kellin said he wanted things to work out, but how does one change their attitude so quickly? Vic couldn’t believe a word he said. He wouldn’t. Kellin was a perfect storyteller. Sometimes at night when Vic would wake up with terrible nightmares, Kellin would hold him close and tell him a story that would help him fall back asleep.

That should have been his first clue. Kellin was just so good at pretending.

“Fine, if you don’t care, then we’re doing what I want. And what I want is to take you to that damn boardwalk you were so fucking excited about.” Kellin pressed on the gas, swerving into the next lane to quickly catch the exit. Vic’s car jostled about as he coursed onto the side of the road, hitting nothing but gravel. Reckless was probably the best word to describe Kellin as a driver.

“We aren’t going to get there if you keep driving like that.” Vic commented as he closed his eyes to focus on something better. Blissful thoughts seemed out of the question for Vic’s mind kept returning to Kellin’s sudden change in behavior. “What changed your mind?” His question came out quietly, drowning out the devastating silence in the car.

“I had a dream.”

Vic couldn’t help but laugh at Kellin’s response. “A dream? Are you fucking kidding?” His eyes were now open, glaring directly at the side of Kellin’s face.

“Yes, Vic. A dream. A dream where things were back to normal. A dream where you still fucking wanted me and I still wanted you.”

“And…”

“And I want that dream to come true. I… I don’t want to give up anymore. I don’t want to lose you.” Kellin said honestly.

Unsure of what to say, Vic just sighed, resting his head back against the rest and closing his eyes. They’d be at the boardwalk soon. Maybe some fresh air would help.

---


The lights around the boardwalk were beautiful, twinkling around the water and bringing out a certain ambiance as the boys walked along the pier. Kellin tried his best to make small talk with Vic, although they both hated small talk. There was something about it that seemed unnatural, off putting.

But Vic continued his silent treatment, barely even looking at Kellin. Instead his gaze focused on the people. A lot of them were couples, basking in the romance of the area, holding hands and kissing. The view made Vic ill. Why couldn’t he have that with Kellin anymore?

Back then; they would have put these couples to shame. Their love was extraordinary, unlike anything they’d ever experienced before. Maybe that was the problem. In the beginning, they were just too hot and heavy. They used up all of the magic at the start and as time went on, their spark fizzled out.

It was a sad thing to think about, but it seemed acceptable. Vic sighed, shaking the thoughts away, his eyes darting to a man standing on the edge of the boardwalk by a small café. The stranger glancing Kellin over, a look of pure want lingering in his eyes.

Great, Vic thought. Just what he needed.

Kellin wasn’t oblivious to the man watching him. It happened quite often, even when Vic was around. Most of the time he’d ignore it because the only person he wanted was Vic. Sometimes though he made mistakes. As he thought about those mistakes, that sick feeling returned itself to his stomach, threatening to make him throw up on the walk in front of them.

How could he have been so stupid? Vic was perfect, charming, everything Kellin could ever want. How could he even think about cheating?

The man moved from his spot, approaching the two of them with a smirk on his lips. His attention directed at Kellin when he finally stopped in front of them. “You look familiar.” He mentioned, eyes grazing Kellin’s body from head to toe. “Have we met?”

Vic snorted at the man’s incredibly pathetic attempt to get into Kellin’s pants. This would be the perfect test, though. If Kellin meant what he said, and wasn’t completely turned off by Vic’s attitude, he’d turn this gentleman down right now.

“No, no we haven’t.” Kellin gave him a friendly smile, dropping his arm between himself and Vic, his hand latching onto the older boy’s. A shock rippled through both of them, nearly taking their breath away. It had been some time since they had touched at all, even just holding hands.

Vic had forgotten how perfectly Kellin’s fingers laced with his, like magnets with that extreme attraction. “I’m Kellin.” He said, squeezing Vic’s hand tighter. “And this is my boyfriend, Vic.”

Once Kellin said those words, Vic forgot about the pulsing electricity radiating between them. “I’m not your boyfriend, Kellin!” Vic snapped for the final time that night. It broke his heart to say those words. All he wanted was Kellin back, the sweet, gentle boy he fell in love with. But that version of Kellin no longer existed. Not to Vic. Kellin was a stranger, a liar, a cheater. Vic loved him with all of his heart, but there was only so much he could handle. No matter how badly Vic wanted to forget, fall into Kellin’s arms and kiss away the pain, he knew there was only one reasonable solution.

They say if you love something set it free, right?