Run

New Beginnings

Running away. It was something that had been on my mind a lot lately. I wanted to leave, skip town, hitchhike, whatever you wanted to call it. To just get away from the place I once called home. I didn't belong here and the only other alternative was something far more permanent than running away. That was also something I’d considered. I wished I had more options, but I couldn't live like this anymore. I couldn't fight the urge that told me that I didn't belong here. My bag felt heavy in my hand as I tossed it in the back of my car. It had just gone four in the morning and I was ready to leave this place behind. I had no idea where I’d go or what I’d do, all I knew was that I had to leave. I stuck the car in neutral and rolled it down the driveway. Waking everyone up was not on my to do list today. At the bottom of the gravel drive I started the car and put my foot down. I wanted to get out of town as quickly as possible. I wasn't stopped and no one interfered with me leaving my father’s territory. This was a bit disconcerting as usually there was a set patrol around our area. I was seventeen a mere pup in their eyes, but I’d been through enough that I knew what I could and couldn't handle. I could look after myself. Not that anyone else thought so. I groaned when I spied two black four wheel drives waiting at the cross roads for me. I sighed and smashed the palm of my hand against the steering wheel. I pulled the car over and got out.
“What gave me away?” I asked as my father’s second walked towards me. The big brute of the man smiled and shook his head softly.
“You told my daughter your plans,” he said. I sucked my lower lip into my mouth and nodded once. Damien climbed out of the back of one of the two cars and walked towards mine. He was smirking softly to himself. I followed Aaron, the second, to his car and climbed into the passenger’s seat.
“I got further than I did last time,” I told Aaron as we drove back to the main house. He laughed and shook his head again. Aaron was a new addition to the pack; he hadn't been around for my last few escape attempts. I was surprised at how quickly he’d found me actually. When we arrived back at the house, all the lights were on. I sighed and slumped down in my seat. I could see my father standing in the living room waiting for us. I didn't dare keep him waiting although I already knew what was going to happen. All I’d wanted was freedom; I’d just wanted to get away. My father didn't understand this, if anything I’d thought he’d be the only one to understand what I was feeling. Apparently I was to get my wish, although not in the way I’d wanted. My father-after lecturing me for an hour once again-told me that he’d decided to send me to a boarding school for others like myself. I was to leave in the morning. I thought it was a futile act as I sat in my room later that morning. I didn't sleep. I hardly ever slept. I paced the room and listened to my parents argue.

When the sun began to rise I moved from my room out into the hall and found that there were even more voices coming from downstairs. It seemed the entire pack was here to say goodbye or laugh at my failure attempt. I walked down the stairs and found my parents sitting at opposite ends of the table shooting daggers at each other. I paused in the doorway as two of the youngest members shot past me. I sat down next to my father, while I could slight my mother, I couldn't do the same to him. To be honest, I was excited about getting away. Going to school wasn't what I’d first intended, but it did get me away from the house and out on my own. To not have my father breathing down my neck would be amazing.
“We leave in half an hour,” Damien said to me across the table.
“You’re driving?” I asked and he nodded in response.
“Damien has been enrolled with you,” my mother said. I glanced at my father, but he was content ignoring everyone at this point. I take it this had been my mother’s idea. If anything she was the one that didn't like the fact that I was leaving home for boarding school. Emilia walked in with her daughter, Angel, balanced on her hip. Emilia was seventeen like me and had been knocked up by some boy she’d met while at a concert. The boy had been a wolf; his name was Quinn that was all we knew about him. Emilia had almost been kicked out of the pack for her indiscretion as my father called it. As it was, he’d disallowed her from mating with any of the wolves in the pack. This meant that to get married she’d need to leave everyone she’d ever known and become an exile. I looked away from Emilia. She’d sold me out. I finished breakfast and followed Damien outside to watch him load the car. It didn't take him long, not with the help of Aaron and a few others. Soon enough we were saying our goodbyes. My father didn't come out to see us off, but my mother, well she cried. I stood there while she squeezed the living daylights out of me. I didn't bother trying to decipher her words as she mumbled something over and over again. I just waited for it all to end. Damien and I didn't talk much on the way there. We didn't have much to talk about. I knew why they’d sent Damien away as well. They sent him to watch me, to make sure I didn't get into any trouble. Emilia had ruined the fun for all of us. It took us half the day to reach the school and when we did, we sat in the car for about fifteen minutes. I shot a look at Damien with his blue eyes and blonde hair. I chewed on my lower lip and opened the car door. Damien followed me as I walked towards the front doors. The castle like structure was amazing to say the least. I took everything in quickly as we walked to the front doors. They opened before we could reach them and a group of boys walked out. They paused for a moment and I saw their eyes flick over Damien and I. They were a group of young wolves, younger than me. I walked past them without giving them a second glance. Young male wolves were an annoyance. Damien held one of the large wooden doors open; they looked as if they were from the original structure. Most likely a replica, I thought as I studied the inner hallway. The foyer had a small snug looking sitting area with a coffee table, a frail looking woman sat waiting with a leather bound book in her hand. She looked up when we walked in and I was stunned by her lilac eyes. A witch, I mused. She unfolded herself from the comfortable looking chair and swept across the stone floor towards us. A smile spread across her face and she held her hand out to me and then Damien. Her hand felt soft in mine, but her grip was strong. I liked that she chose to shake my hand first; it was usually around the other way.
“Welcome, Ashra, Damien,” she said. “I’m the high witch Helena; I run the school and manage the students. We've been expecting you.”
“The drive was a little longer than expected,” Damien admitted. The frail woman smiled.
“I know,” she tapped her temple lightly. “One of the many things I can do.” Her lilac eyes moved to me and I got the feeling she was looking for something. “You two must be tired from your drive, come, I’ll show you where your dorm rooms are so you can freshen up for dinner.” She didn't wait for any kind of reply; she just turned and began walking down the corridor directly in front of us. When we reached the end, it split, one corridor stretched to my left and the other to my right, in front of me was another set of large wooden doors that I could see, through a stained glass window, opened into a large courtyard. We didn't come across any other students on our way, but we did pass a set of closed door that we could hear signs of life behind it. Damien and I agreed to meet back there after the tour. Helena showed me the girl’s dorm first and gave me my room key. I watched them walk away, feeling a little more alone than I had in a long time. A smile touched my lips, I was alone. For the first time in weeks I was actually alone. I stepped into the dorm room and let the door shut softly behind me. The main living area was empty, which gave me time to have a look around without anyone else. There were four small pod areas each with its own TV and gaming system, the couches were much like the ones in the foyer, made of velvet in light colours. The walls were plastered with photos and posters. I stopped by a bulletin board and found a few drawings of the wolf transformation. I moved up the stairs to the first level and found my room. I unlocked the door to find most of the things I’d packed in boxes back home, stacked against one wall. I moved across to them and peeked inside, everything was there. I tugged off the shirt and mini shorts I was wearing and pulled on a red summer dress. I kept my black heels on and turned to look at myself in the mirror. I chewed on my lower lip and tilted my head. With a mere thought I was able to change the colour of my hair. I loved being able to do this. I only changed half of it though; I loved the red colour of my hair. I left the top half as it is and changed the bottom to a black as pure as night. I smiled softly and opened the door. The door had been unlocked when I walked in, so I left the key on the table beside my bed along with my phone. I left the room to go find Damien, but I stopped when I heard voices in the main living area. I suddenly felt very anxious about being alone. Hadn't this been what I’d wanted? I wasn't so sure anymore. My anxiety became worse when I realized that it wasn't just a group of girls down there, there were guys as well. The self conscious teenage girl in me told me to run and hide, but there was part of me that was curious, curious about the people sitting in the next room. I put all thoughts aside and walked down the stairs into the room. All eyes moved to me as I walked into the room and all my insecurities came flooding back.
“So you’re the new kid,” a girl with dark hair and coloured streaks said to me.
“Yeah, I am,” I replied. “I’m Ashra.” I moved my eyes from her chubby face and dark eyes to the rest of the group. There were three guys, each sitting with one of the three girls.
“Nice to meet you,” their spokesperson said. I nodded once and walked past their group and out the main door. I found Damien walking down the corridor; I guessed I’d taken more than five minutes. He smiled slightly when he saw me and I saw his eyes flick over my dress.
“So,” he said. “Food then?”

It was quite daunting walking into the dining hall for the first time. Helena stood waiting for us outside the doors. I hadn't expected her to be there, I guess she was a better hostess than I’d first thought. She pushed open the doors with little effort and the three of us stepped in. Eyes turned to us as the doors shut with a small thud behind us. There was not one familiar face in the sea of people staring back at us. I could feel their eyes on us, assessing us as Helena led us towards a particular table. She half turned as we walked and explained why.
“Rachel and her friends are our version of a student council,” Helena said. “They run the student circles.” I frowned; they needed a leader to run their circles? At home, circles had been a private as well as public thing. Each and every pack member had known how to cast and close a circle safely. I studied the group as we neared them. They didn't look all that special, but then I was nothing special either.
“Rachel,” Helena said in greeting as we stopped in front of the table. I let my eyes move across the six members of the group. The small brunette in front of Helena looked up and smiled. I assumed she was Rachael, her hazel eyes flicked across Damien and I. I saw the way her eyes widened slightly when she looked at him. I disliked her instantly. She was gorgeous I’d give her that, with lightly tousled chestnut curls and gold flecked eyes. She wasn't a wolf though, and she had no shot with Damien. “This is Damien and Ashra. Can you help them out with any questions or problems they may have?”
“Of course,” Rachel said sweetly and beamed at Damien. The six of them shuffled over to make room for us. Damien sat in between Rachel and a girl with dirty blonde hair that introduced herself as Erin. Damien looked mildly pleased with his placement next to Rachel and I knew I’d have to remind him that she wasn't a wolf when we were alone. I sat between the two boys, one of which was bi and had his eyes set on Damien as well. I smiled at the obviousness of his immediate crush. His name was Kyle and he had the cutest baby face that he was sure to grow out of in the next year or two. He was younger than the rest, I could tell just by looking at him. Kyle’s sandy blonde hair was styled into a messy array on top of his head; some of it flopped into his eyes which he used to hide the direction of his gaze. His grey-blue eyes caught me watching him and his cheeks flushed a light pink. I smiled softly and looked away from him. On my other side was Tristan with his short auburn hair and soft brown eyes with gold and silver flecks. He was quite muscular, a sportsman to be sure. I inhaled softly and the sharp scent of blood touched my nose. Ah, that explained the near perfect form, he was a vampire. I wrinkled my nose before smoothing my expression and turning away from Tristan. The other two girls, one of which had her hand firmly anchored in Tristan’s, were very similar in looks. Tristan’s girlfriend or whatever she was had long ebony hair and dark eyes. Her skin was a beautiful mocha colour. She watched me carefully out of the corner of her eye, as if trying to work out who I was. I felt like I’d met her before and being a wolf, that wouldn't surprise me. It took a lot for us to forget a face and I didn't think that I’d forget hers. Her name was Jasmine; that was the only thing that was unfamiliar about her. I dragged my gaze from her and let my eyes drift across the rest of the room. The final person at the table wasn't anything spectacular, a half witch, she had bleached hair that had been died something that looked a lot like pink, but had now faded considerably. Her blue gaze was trained on something across the room, or someone, I thought as I followed the direction of her gaze. At the end of it was a gorgeous looking boy with jet black hair. He glanced towards our table and frowned slightly before looking away. I tilted my head and studied his face. He had sharp cheekbones and a strong jaw. I felt a shiver run over my body as a memory tickled the edge of my mind. I looked away from him to Amanda, what was it she saw in him that gave her that starry-eyed look? I looked down at the table and chewed on the inside of my cheek.
“So, you guys know the basics right?” Rachel asked us, or she asked Damien. She was solely focused on him. I didn't like the way she looked at him, it was like he was the only person there. I guess you could say I was jealous. I wanted someone to look at me like that.
“Not really, we were only told yesterday that we had to be on the road before ten,” Damien said. He was being nice, but he didn't seem to hold any particular interest in her. Damien’s gaze found mine and a small smile touched his lips. I rolled my eyes and glanced away.
“So,” Tristan said with a sly grin. “What did you do?” He was looking at me. I opened my mouth in fake astonishment.
“What? Me? I didn't do anything,” I said. I smiled and shook my head. “My father doesn't like the idea of me growing up.”
“Ah,” Tristan said. “I know the feeling.” It grew silent around the table, and quite uncomfortably so. Damien’s gaze flicked from me to Tristan and then back to me. There was a question on his lips, but he wasn't comfortable enough with these people to ask it.
“Okay, well then,” Rachel said. She looked at me and frowned before turning her attention back to Damien. “As we have some more nocturnal-” she glanced at Tristan “-students attending the school, our hours are a little different to that of a regular school.” Amanda snorted and shook her head.
“A little different?” Kyle asked. “You call starting at four pm a little different?”
She shot Kyle an annoyed glare before a calm settled over her and she smiled. I frowned, confused at the sudden change in emotion. People didn't just get over their frustration like that. “I've been here for a while now, so yes I find it a little different.” Kyle shrugged off her comment and played with the left over pasta on his plate. “Anyway, we start at four and we finish at midnight.”
“We have two one hour breaks during that time, so only six hours of actual schooling and depending on what classes you take, you make have a two hour period of one class and a one hour of another,” Tristan said. I glanced at Damien and tilted my head.
“What did he sign us up for?” I asked.
Damien shrugged. “We have to go see Helena tomorrow to get our timetables.”
“Why aren't we in classes today?” I asked. I glanced at Rachel, expecting her to answer me; instead it was Erin that spoke up.
“We always have Sunday off, as well as the night of the full moon,” she said. “Saturday’s are shorter as well. We have to meet with our mentor’s instead to go over the weeks activities.”
“Helena will no doubt introduce you to your mentor’s tomorrow as well as give you all the information required for your classes,” Rachel said. She glanced down at a slim silver wristwatch and sighed. “I have my meeting soon-” she paused and looked at the others in the group “-You guys can looks after these two, right?” They nodded in agreement and murmured various farewells. Silence followed her parting and I wasn't sure what we were meant to do next. I was saved from doing anything when I cry from across the room broke the chatter. Silence swept across the room as everyone turned to find the source of the noise. The girl lay crumpled on her side not from us; she’d been sitting a couple of tables away with her friends. She clutched her stomach and withered in pain. Tristan swore and rose in his seat; Jasmine grabbed his hand and shook her head. There wasn't anything he could do, she knew it and so did he. Tristan reluctantly sank back into his seat, his eyes never leaving the dying girl.
“That’s the second one this week,” I heard Kyle murmur. I frowned. It wasn't unusual for vampire, wolf, or fey fledglings to have their body reject the change that all of the species went through. But it was odd that they’d had two occur in the space of a week. The supernatural population was low enough as it is; to have one of our own dying right in front of us was difficult to watch. The girl was a vampire fledgling, a very young one. Vampires and wolves went through two changes. The first is when they’re first bitten. For vampires, their bodies age for a couple more years before they go through the second change that makes the vampirism permanent. That is the only way to be turned into a vampire. Wolves are a little different; the curse can be passed through genetics or through a bite. Usually around thirteen to fifteen years old, young wolves go through the first change, this is when their hormones are raging and it becomes extremely difficult to control the shift. During this time, the alphas watch for who their strongest pack members will be and will often look for their next in line. The second change they go through is when they mate; this is usually at a pretty young age, seventeen to twenty. Wolves don’t always mate for life; instead they search for their ‘soul mate’ in other wolves. It’s different for bitten wolves in the fact that they haven’t grown up with the curse. On their first full moon, that is when the first change occurs. It doesn't matter what age the person is bitten at, it’s still much the same reaction to what teen wolves have. The only difference is that many of the older bitten wolves don’t make it through the second change; they haven’t had as long to find their mate and often have trouble adjusting to their new state of being. Many of them are put down by alphas before they can even try to make the second change. The wooden doors opened and Helena spilled into the room followed closely by two male teachers. The crowd around the dying girl parted to let them through. Helena knelt by the girl who had started crying, realizing exactly what was happening. I looked away as the girl’s body began to convulse and blood poured out of her throat. Helena procured a vile and tipped the contents down the girl’s throat. It didn't take long for the noises to stop and it was then that I knew the girl was dead. The male teachers moved towards her with a stretcher and picked her up gently. It was as if they were in mourning too as they exited the hall with her body.
“They’re dropping like flies,” Jasmine murmured. Her dark eyes flicked over all of us and settled on me. She knew something, something that she wasn't telling anyone. I studied the exotic looking girl and wondered where it was that I’d seen her before. I looked away, frowning slightly and found a set or icy blue eyes on me. The boy Amanda had been staring at was no looking in my direction. Again, something tugged at the edge of my memory, but was gone before I could work out what it was. He looked away and the moment was gone.
“Ashra,” Jasmine said softly. “You’re rooming with me, would you like a tour first?”
“Sure,” I replied. I had a feeling there was something she wanted to tell me, something she didn't want to say in front of the others. We stood and said goodbye to the others before making our way from the dining hall. Jasmine linked her arm through mine and led me down the hall that led towards the front of the school.
“You should get out of this place as fast as you can,” she said quietly as we walked towards the large set of double doors I’d noticed when we first walked in. She pushed on one of them and let me walk ahead of her out into the empty courtyard. Jasmine followed me out and sat with me on a smooth marble bench under a willow tree.
“Is that a threat?” I asked uncertainly. Jasmine laughed and shook her head. Her ebony hair fell in front of her face and she swept it back with practiced movement behind her ear.
“No,” she replied. “It’s a warning.”
“I think I can handle myself,” I said. I didn't like that she didn't think I could deal with some pesky students.
A sad smile touched her lips which confused me even more. “No, none of us can.”
“You’re talking in riddles,” I muttered. She smiled again and I felt more than a little irritated by the lack of information she was willing to cough up.
“I can’t-” she broke off and took a deep breath. “If I say too much, then something bad will happen.”
“You’re a seer,” I said and she nodded. Jasmine looked a little surprised that I’d put the little bits of information together so quickly.
“Yes and if you stay something bad will happen to someone you love,” she said softly.
“And if I go?” I asked. She bit her lower lip and sighed.
“This is a no win situation,” she murmured more to herself than me. “I thought I’d give you the option, before you knew everyone.” She rubbed her face with slender hands. She dropped her hands to her lap after a few moments and turned those dark eyes on me. “You could walk away right now, and you won’t lose anyone. No one that you know or care for anyway.”
“You still haven’t told me what happens if I stay,” I replied evenly. I was unnerved by what she was telling me.
“If you stay, he dies, but more live,” she whispered in defeat. “I don’t know whether that’s a good thing or not.”
“How can one person dying and more living be a bad thing?” I hated that she wouldn’t give me a straight answer, but I knew how seers worked.
“They’re not-” she broke off and shook her head, “-they’re not the same.” I could tell that giving me that piece of information was hard on her, so I didn't push for more information.
“Okay, you don’t have to say anymore.” The look she gave me showed the extent of her gratitude, keeping this to herself was destroying her. “Does anyone else know?” I wasn’t even sure I knew, to be completely honest, she’d just managed to confuse the shit out of me.
She shook her head and cast her eyes towards the grass at our feet. “No one knows about my gift, not even Tristan.”
I opened my mouth and closed it a couple of times before I found the words to comfort her. “I won’t tell anyone, not if you don’t want me to.”
“Thank you,” she said miserably. She hated keeping it from her friends; I could see it in her eyes. Jasmine didn't look like the confident person that she had been in the dining hall. I wondered how much of an act she put on for them, or maybe it was me she was putting the act on for. I’d soon find out if what she said about us being roommates was true. I looked away at her and assessed my surroundings. The courtyard was small, with two other exits besides the one we’d entered through. One was a path that lead to another building that I assumed was a gym or something as I could see a small patch of the field beside it. The other was a set of doors much like the ones we’d first walked through. A small paved path linked up the three exits while the rest of the area was grass and bush. I looked back at Jasmine, she was lost in thought.
“I have to go see my mentor,” she murmured, waking from her thoughts. “You can get back to the room okay, can’t you?” I nodded, lost in my own thoughts now. “Okay, I’ll see you later then.”
Jasmine stood and I saw the small frown on her face as she turned away from me. What was she thinking about? I let the thought slide as my own crowded back into my mind. Who was supposed to die? And why was it me that had to save numerous people? I sighed and rubbed my face with my hands. Damien, I thought absently, he was the only one that was here that I actually cared about. Unless it wasn't just restricted to where I was at the present time... Maybe it was possible that the reason I couldn't save them was they weren't here for me to save. I mulled over that thought for a while, but I couldn't come up with any solutions. I don’t know how long I sat there for, but it was only a shiver that ran up my spine that pulled me out of my thoughts and back to my surroundings. I could feel eyes on me in the darkness. My heightened senses were working overtime to find the source of the unnerving feeling. I searched the windows of the upper stories as well as the paths leading to my position on the bench. I half turned and scanned the windows of the building behind me, I still found nothing. Another shiver raced up my spine and I fought the urge that told me to shift.
“Get it together,” I muttered and stood up. I was just oversensitive. There was nothing watching me, if only I could actually believe it.

The corridors were gloomy as I made my way back to the dorm room. I still felt like I was being watched and I couldn't shake the feeling. I rubbed the back of my neck and kept my eyes trained forward. My muscles were wound so tightly that I felt as if I was going to snap in two. Soft footsteps caught my attention and I listened carefully to what they told me. I frowned when I couldn't work out exactly what was following me. The steps were distorted, of human nature, but something was off about them. I half turned and shot a glance over my shoulder, but the hall way empty. Fear crept in and then I felt silly. I was hearing things, I had to be. There was no way a being could be of human nature, but be as distorted as those steps had been. I was scared, scared of a new place with new people. That had to be it. I picked up the pace as the door to the dormitory came into view. I took a deep breath as I stood on the threshold before pushing the doors open and stepping into the crowded room. Eyes followed me and I shifted uncomfortably before deciding that heading to my room was probably the best idea. The girls stepped out of my way as I walked past them, none of them would meet my gaze. I held my shoulders high and didn't give anyone the satisfaction of thinking that I was weak. I was not submissive. I made it up to the room without breaking or being stopped. I shut the door behind me and collapsed onto my bed. My life had never been as hard as what today had been. I guess they’re right in saying you don’t know what you've got till it’s gone. I shut my eyes and just listened. I felt sleep tug at my consciousness and I wondered how long it would take me to adapt to the new sleeping schedule. Not long I would think; I was used to staying up all night on the week of the full moon. My family usually did a pack meeting on the actual night, but that whole week every wolf in the pack was ensnared in the power of the moon. In other words, they were horny. So it shouldn't take me too long to adjust, I just had to think of it like that. I snorted and shook my head. I doubted the school would let students have sex all week. It seemed insane that at a school with wolves and their needs, that they wouldn't be allowed to sate them. I stripped off and climbed beneath the covers. The day’s events came rushing back and I felt exhausted. I knew it wouldn't take me long before I’d fall into a hopefully dreamless sleep.

Sweat poured down my face, something unusual as it took a lot for my control to slip like that. My feet hit the pavement hard as I ran, my muscles ached and I knew I couldn't go on for much longer. I shot a look over my shoulder and pushed myself a little harder. His scent hit me sharp and hard, I stumbled and came to a stop. My eyes flicked over my surroundings. I had no idea where I was or how to get away. I couldn't get caught! I knew that with absolute certainty, even if I didn't know what it was that I was running from. I pressed my back against the hard brick of the building next to me, I needed a plan. Desperation set in as I realized how screwed I was, he was coming and I had no way out. I chewed on my lower lip and glanced up at the building. There was nothing I could grab onto to pull myself up to get a better look at my surroundings. The worst part about this was that I couldn't hear him, he made no noise. He could sneak up on me and I wouldn't know. Paranoia curled in my stomach while my heavy breathing tried to choke me. I was standing there trying to work out what was going on when the sky split open and black winged beings shot through the tear in the sky down straight at me.

My eyes popped open and it took me a few seconds to orientate myself. What the fuck had that all been about? I’d never really dreamed about much at all before that night. I generally didn't remember that much when it came to my dreams. I sat up and pushed my hair out of my face. I glanced over at the twin bed pushed up against the wall over the other side of the room. A form lay with her back to me beneath the covers. It was Jasmine, so she hadn't been lying, but then again, why would she? I lay back down and stared at the ceiling. I could just see the bright sunlight peeking through the thick black curtains. I still felt unimaginably tired, but the clock on the bedside table told me it had just gone midday. As it was Monday, I had quite a lot of time before classes started. I stayed in bed for a little while longer, I didn't feel like getting up and facing people, I’d have to do enough of that later. I sighed and pulled the covers up over my head. I wished I could stay there forever, to never leave or face anyone. I knew that realistically I could not stay there forever; I couldn't even stay there for the day. I sighed and flipped the covers back. I sat up and swung my feet over the side of the bed.I got up and walked across the room to what I assumed led to the small private bathroom. I was right; I shut the door behind me and turned on the shower. The hot water was a blessing to my sore muscles. I’d been wound too tightly last night and I was tensing up just thinking about facing all those new people.
“Just forget them,” I muttered. I tipped my head back and let the water was over my face. All the progress I made trying to relax vanished when I stepped out of the shower some time later and wrapped a towel around myself. My eyes caught on the faint lines that traced my hips and thighs. A soft groan escaped my lips. I thought I was past feeling like this, like I didn't matter. I dragged my eyes from the faint scars and looked at my reflection in the mirror. What was it that made me feel like this? I had a feeling that it had something to do with my father and the fact that I was an only child and my father was looking for the next alpha of the pack. I couldn't be the alpha, I was female. He’d never allow it. My usually bright green eyes seemed dull under the fluorescent lights of the bathroom and my red hair, a tangled mess. I tilted my head and studied my figure. I wouldn't say I was bad looking, in fact I was told I had a pretty good figure. I didn't really see what the guys saw when they looked at me. Lust was something I didn't really understand too well. I shook my head and gathered up what little clothing I’d worn into the bathroom. When I opened the door, Jasmine was sitting up in bed with a sketchbook in her lap. Her eyes stared unseeing across the room. I frowned and watched as her hand swept across the page, back and forth, drawing something with practiced skill. I moved across the room to my bed and put my clothes down; I turned back to Jasmine to find her blinking and rubbing her face. She groaned and dropped her hands into her lap. I sat down on the edge of my bed and grabbed clothes as I waited for Jasmine to explain.
“Does drawing help?” I asked finally when it appeared she wasn't going to speak.
“Sometimes,” she murmured and rubbed her eyes again. When she looked up at me I gasped quietly. I stood and moved into the bathroom, I returned with a wet cloth in my hand. Jasmine smiled gratefully and put the warm towel over her bloodshot eyes. She lay back and I got the chance to look at the drawing. I frowned at the paper.
“What do you think it means?” I asked. Jasmine shrugged.
“I never know, not until it’s too late really,” she said. She sounded kind of defeated. I studied the drawing for a little longer. The picture was unsettling. It was of a battle scene amongst a group of wolves, fighting wasn't unusual amongst wolves, but the black hole in the sky was. It was unnervingly similar to the one from my dream. I crouched down beside her bed and picked up the picture. I marveled at the detail and wondered how she’d managed to do it and why it had been in my dream. I put the picture back and stood. I paced away from Jasmine, glad that she couldn't see me right then. I dressed quickly, glad for the distraction. Jasmine used the same distraction I did, she shoved the picture into the top drawer of her nightstand-which was full to the brim of drawings similar to that one I might add- and disappeared into the bathroom to have a shower. I glanced from the drawer to the bathroom and decided not to risk it, not yet anyway. I chewed on my lower lip and stood in front of the floor length mirror. I applied a small amount of make up to my eyes and lips and stepped back. Jasmine stepped out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her and began drying off beside her bed. She had her back to me and I absently watched her in the mirror. I glanced away when I realized what I was doing. She had a boyfriend and just because I was bi, didn't mean she was as well. I sighed and couldn't help the small glance I gave her as I turned away. The mocha colour of her skin was all natural, I noted as I turned away again. I tugged unconsciously at the shirt I was wearing and chewed on my lower lip. I was undecided about whether or not to tell her about my dream. I didn't really know her, yet she had trusted me with her secret. Then again, she kind of had to, we were living together. I let the thoughts slide and pushed the dream to the back of my mind. I had other things to worry about.
“I can take you to see Helena, if you like?” Jasmine offered.
“Thanks,” I said and turned to find her watching me. Her dark eyes were watching me closely. She flicked her ebony hair over her shoulder and turned away from me to grab her jacket. I pulled on a pair of strappy black heels and smoothed my hands down my thighs. My black skinny jeans hugged my curves, but I could almost see the thin white lines that marked my skin. I stood up and pushed any thoughts of my old life aside. I was starting anew. I’d been given the chance I’d dreamed of and I intended to use it.