Run

Blue Eyes.

Helena sat across from Damien and I and studied us closely. It was the same look she’d given me the day before, like she was searching for something. I hated to admit that it made me nervous. I let my eyes wander her office instead of focusing on her. The room was nicely decorated with a lot of posters centered around supernatural transformation. I noted the number of wolf pictures she had compared to the other supernaturals. I frowned, but didn't think much of it as I continued my assessment. We sat near the back of the room, with the door we’d entered at our back. Helena sat behind a large mahogany desk that was neatly organised with stacks of paper all lined up with the edge of the wood. Behind her was a set of high windows with a bookshelf underneath them. The bookshelf held a great number of books on mythology and other occult subjects. Crystals, large and small lined the wall on my left, stacked on shelves with small intricately designed nameplates in front of them. I looked away from them and back at Helena, her long greying-black hair was swept up into a bun atop her head and her lilac eyes were secretive. I hated the way she was accessing us right then. Finally, she smiled and sat forward, folding her hands under her chin and leaning her elbows on the desk in front of her. We waited. I wasn't a very patient person and I think somehow Helena knew that. It was a classic wolf trait after all. My fingers curled into fists at my sides and I resisted the urge to ask her to hurry up.
“Well, I will be your mentor, which means on Saturday’s at ten I want the two of you in my office,” she said. I’d assumed that the high witch would be too busy to mentor two young wolves. It was confusing to say the least. Helena handed us our timetables and I let my eyes move over the classes listed there. I was happy with the list of classes; apparently my father did know me better than I’d first thought. I glanced at Damien and leant over to look at his almost identical timetable. I rolled my eyes; it didn't surprise me that my father had gotten us into almost all the same classes. He’d want Damien around me as much as possible, mostly to keep me out of trouble, but also to discourage any other wolves that might show an interest. I don’t know why he cared; it wasn't like I hadn't had sex before. All young wolves did, most on the full moon after the first change. Most pack’s made a ritual out of the first run and paired up the newer wolves that they’d like to one day have fully mated together. I hadn't agreed with my dad’s pick, that hadn't stopped me. I still hated that I’d had sex with him. It was my first time and I for one believed that first times were meant to be special. I shrugged it off. It was a long time ago and I was past feeling bitter over it.
“The classes are easy enough to find, but if you get lost, just ask someone,” Helena said as her attention turned to something else. “They’re nice enough, I’m sure someone will help.” I’d lived around my father long enough to know a dismissal when I heard one. I stood and Damien followed suit. Helena didn't stop us as we made our way for the door. With a solid wood door and half the corridor between us I finally felt comfortable enough to say what I was thinking.
“Something’s off about her,” I said to Damien as we walked. Damien shot a glance at me, which I didn't return, before facing straight ahead.
“Why do you think that?” He asked. “She seems fine to me.” I frowned and shook my head.
“I don’t know,” I murmured. “Just a feeling.” Damien let the silence between us stretch and I let the subject drop. Damien hadn't picked up on the weird vibes that I had, that was obvious. We walked slowly down the corridor in the general direction of the corridor that Jasmine had pointed out to me as she gave me a short tour. The sound of people talking pricked at my sensitive ears and I knew we were heading in the right direction. We rounded the corner and were confronted with a crowded corridor. Damien and I paused, on instinct, before maneuvering through the crowd to try and find our first class. It was easy enough to find and when we walked in, I was surprised to find a number of people already there. Jasmine and Tristan sat with a group of people I didn't know near the back of the room. Her dark eyes found me and she smiled. I watched as she disentangled herself from Tristan and the others and moved towards Damien and I.
“Come sit with me,” she said and linked her arm through mine. Damien trailed along behind me, reluctant to let me go anywhere without him just yet. “Everyone, this is Ashra, my new roommate and Damien.” Those in the group mumbled different forms of hello and avoided eye contact as much as possible. I hated how I felt like an outsider. That’s what you got when you grew up within a pack though, you knew everyone from when you were young and basically you stayed with them for the rest of your life. It was a lot like the convent it sounded like. The tables were set up in groups of two and it seemed that Tristan would be exiled to another table. He didn't seem to upset to be sitting next to another guy; I guess it was a change from sitting next Jasmine all the time. I was glad that he chose to sit next to Damien; I didn't want him to feel like a hermit. I also didn't want to have to look after him either. Damien could make his own friends and just because he was intent on sticking to my side as much as possible didn't mean I was going to help him socially. Jasmine talked happily with those that still hovered around our table. I was content to just sit there and listen. I didn't feel as much like an outsider as I had before. Those talking to Jasmine actually tried to include me in the conversation every now and then. I happily jumped at the chance to make friends and it seemed to please her that her plan was working. I shot her a sly look and lifted my eyebrows at her. Jasmine flushed and looked away; she knew she’d been caught. Just because she was a seer, didn't mean she could control what happened in my life. I was going to make damn sure about it too. Anyway, she’d said she didn't know when exactly her visions were going to happen. I didn't think she’d lied. I’d known another seer; she’d worked with my father when he was looking for a rouge in our area. She’s said that her seer abilities, like everyone else’s, were sometimes unreliable. I chewed on that thought as the bell went and the students dispersed to their seats. Our teacher walked in a few minutes later, she was a young woman with long blonde hair that hit her waist. She was pixie-like and I realized with a start that my guess wasn't far off. She swept her blonde hair behind her ears to reveal curved points. She looked up and a sweet smile broke across her lips. Small sharp pointed teeth glittered in the fluorescent light.
“Welcome, Ashra and Damien,” she said in high voice. “I’m Mrs Haines.” I watched as she opened a leather bound notebook on her desk and gathered some paper. Her distraction gave me time to study her. She wore a long blue dress; it was conservative, yet sweet. I could almost picture her frolicking around a faery circle. For some reason this image was slightly disturbing, probably because pixies weren't exactly know for frolicking, they were a lot more devious than that. I dragged my thoughts from the rumors of pixies sacrificing humans and tried to pay attention to what she was writing on the board. Her loopy handwriting reminded me of a twelve year old girl. I sighed softly and tilted my head. Apparently we were learning about wolf transformation. Interesting. At least the topic we were studying was something I knew about.
“Okay,” she said as she turned back to us. “As our next ‘show and tell’ of sorts is the wolf transformation on the full moon in two weeks. I thought it would be a good time to start our study on the transformation itself.” Her light filled eyes moved around the room as if she were searching for something. Her lips moved as if forming words and I realized she was counting. “As there are only five people in this class that can shapeshift into a wolf, I think it would be a good idea for the rest of the class to brainstorm first.” Her lips curled up in a small smile. “Take a piece of paper and write down everything you know about werewolves and the transformation, you could include the full moon, what happens and why.” The class erupted into chatter as those that weren't wolves worked together to write down as much as they knew-or though they knew- about the species. I listened in on their muttered conversations and shook my head at a few absurd ideas. I shot a glance at Damien and found him grinning back at me. Jasmine next to me was writing out her own list. I peeked at her answers as she shifted; one of her answers caught me off guard. Moon heat, I hadn't realized it was a wide spread ideal. But then again, I guess it is kind of hard to hide during the week of the full moon. I sat back and let my eyes flit across the classroom. The other four wolves in the class were males. The other three sat up front in a group together, they were laughing at something someone at another table had said. The girl’s cheeks flushed bright red and she turned away from them and closed her book. They were bullying her and I hated sitting there and watching it. I shook my head in disgust and forced myself to look away from them. I tipped my head back and stared at the ceiling. I didn't have to wait much longer, because as soon as conversation turned away from the task at hand. Mrs Haines called the class to attention and began asking students what ideas they’d come up with. She made a list in her loopy handwriting on the board as they read out their lists. I wasn't the only one that was struggling to hold in my laughter. One of the guys at the front of the room burst out laughing and clapped his hand over his mouth when he realized how rude he was being. His mate punched his shoulder and I could see them grinning at each other. Haines finished writing the list and turned to the class again. She herself had a smile on her lips.
“Well, I have to admit,” She said, “you are all very imaginative.”
“I don’t know whether to be insulted or amused,” one of the boys at the front said. I smiled, I agreed with him on that one. Haines smiled at him, she too was amused by some of the ideas the class had come up with.
“Okay, now, to discern which is fact and which is fiction,” she said. She began rattling off the list and those of us that were wolf said fact or fiction, when she came to moon heat though, we all gave pause. It was quite a sensitive topic really, and quite private. I sighed when it became obvious none of the others were going to admit to it.
“Fact,” I said. Haines smiled and nodded.
“Care to explain what it is?” she asked.
“Not really,” I said. The guys laughed nervously, but the teacher merely waited for me to explain. I shouldn't have spoken up. “It’s sexual desire,” I said and shrugged. “It’s the need to find a mate.”
A few of the girls snorted in amusement and some of the guys openly grinned. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. Haines moved on smoothly, she ignored the whispering and snide remarks and continued her lesson through the double period. I was glad when the bell for the end of class finally went. I had an hour before my next class started and I had no idea what to do with my time at this stage. I had P.E next; I was looking forward to that. It was one of the two classes I didn't have with Damien as well, so it would be good to get away from the watchdog for a while. Actually it was two hours that I wouldn't have Damien’s watchful gaze on me. Jasmine stole my timetable as we left the classroom and walked towards the dining hall.
“You’re in Tristan’s P.E class,” she said absently. “Kyle’s in it too.”
“At least there are some people I know,” I said as I tucked it away in my back pocket. She smiled, but her gaze was focused on something ahead of us. I followed the line and found Rachel and the other two standing outside the dining hall with a group of guys. Tristan and Damien came up behind us. Tristan grabbed Jasmine around the waist and pulled her away from Damien and I. We continued walking down the corridor to the dining hall as I tried to study the guys around Rachel and the other two. I wasn't sure, but one of them looked like the boy Amanda had been staring at during dinner the other night. Rachel looked up as we neared and a smile spread across her features.
“Damien,” she said excitedly. “How was your first class?” She looped her arm through his and led him past the group she’d been standing with and into the dining hall. I fell into step behind them, along with Amanda and Erin. The boys split, preferring to go in a different direction rather than follow Rachel into the dining hall. I wished I could have gone with him. I really didn't want to sit through another meal with Rachel fawning all over Damien. We each grabbed a plate of food and sat down. Kyle and another boy were already there when we sat down and Jasmine and Tristan joined us not long after we sat down. The boy introduced himself as James, he was a young fey boy and quite obviously into Kyle. I smiled down at my food as they talked animatedly about a TV show they were both into. I picked at the food on my plate. I wasn't hungry anymore, not really. I was never really hungry anymore. I don’t know what had changed, but eating just wasn't the same. Usually wolves were known to eat shitloads. I just couldn't do that anymore. I pushed the thought of not eating from my mind and forced down the plateful of food. Damien watched me the whole time; he was not ignorant of my reluctance to eat anything. I glared at him when I caught him watching, but he merely shrugged it off and answered the question Rachel had for him. I watched the two of them together. Yesterday I would have said that there was no way that Damien would go anywhere near Rachel. Today, I wasn't so sure. They talked, laughed and flirted like they’d know each other much longer than a day and a half. I was envious of how easy he seemed to have it. Damien was such a people person. I was right in saying that he could make his own friends. He really didn't need me at all. I attempted to engage Amanda in conversation, but her thoughts were obviously elsewhere because all she gave me was one word answers. I eventually gave up trying to talk at all. By the time it came for us to move on to our next class. I was kind of excited to get to my P.E class although I was unsure of what to expect. Kyle talked at me about James and their topic of conversation during lunch. I let him talk to me about it, I didn't mind. The fact that he was openly talking to me about someone he obviously likes made me feel a little more accepted in the group.
“So, how long have you two known each other?” I asked him. Kyle flushed a bit.
“A couple of months,” he said. “James is relatively new here.”
“When did you know you liked him?” I asked quietly. Kyle flushed a deeper red than I thought possible.
“How’d you know?” he asked. “How did you put it together so quickly?”
I smiled. “I’m a wolf. I can pick up on emotions easily.” I shrugged slightly and gave him a reassuring smile. “I worked it out yesterday at dinner. It was just the way you looked at Damien. But don’t worry, I won’t say anything if you don’t want me to.”
“Thanks,” he murmured. “My friends know,” he said quietly. “But I’m not quite ready for the rest of the school to know as well.”
“I get that,” I said. The silence stretched between us as we neared the gym. I sucked on my lower lip and thought about Kyle and James. The two were sweet enough and if they liked each other, why should what anyone else thought matter? I sighed, I knew others had problems with coming out of the closet, but I can’t say that I fully understood why. Kyle held the door to the gym open for me and I stepped in. I wasn't prepared for what came next.

Blue eyes. That’s what I’d remember afterwards. It was his blue eyes that found mine and trapped them. My breath caught in my throat and I felt my cheeks grow warm. What was going on? I attempted to drag my eyes from his, but failed miserably. I was captivated by him. I’d never felt like this before and it was unsettling. I managed to rip my gaze from his and I turned away. His pictured was imprinted on the backs of my eyelids. My breathing was uneven as I changed into the shorts and single that Jasmine had put in my locker earlier. She’d asked before we left for Helena’s office, it was a nice gesture, but I think it was more because she didn't want me to tell anyone-Damien included-about her gifts. It wasn't fair of me to assume everyone had an agenda, but that’s the way it usually went in the pack. I changed quickly and stored my clothes away. I had to give myself a minute or two to collect myself before returning to the court. He had his back to me when I re-emerged into the room. Kyle stood next to him and waved me over. They all looked up as I stopped beside them. My stomach was in knots, it was something I wasn't used to. Guys were, well guys, and that was it. I’d never seen them as anything more as beings to sate the moon heat during the week of the full moon. There was something different about this wolf and I couldn't tell what it was.
“You’re Ashra,” tall dark and handsome said to me. His voice was slightly husky.
“I am,” I said. The response was lame to say the least, but I openly admit, I was a little speechless. A smile stretched across his full lips.
“I’m Quinn,” he said and held his hand out to me. I looked at his hand for a second before putting my hand in his. His hand was warm in mine and I felt a small current of energy run through the air between us. I frowned and glanced up at his face to see if he noticed it too. His features were carefully composed and I couldn't tell what he was thinking. I pulled my hand from his. I took a tiny step back from him. I tilted my head and studied him; there was something familiar about him.
“We haven’t met before, have we?” I asked him.
Quinn frowned and his ice blue eyes shifted over my face as if he was searching for anything familiar. He shook his head slowly and I frowned. I was sure that I knew him from somewhere.
I shrugged. “Must be thinking of someone else.”
“Must be.” His eyes glittered with amusement. We dropped the conversation as the teacher walked in and asked us to run laps to warm up. I stretched out a bit before starting. I liked running, just not in human form. I didn't think the teacher would be too impressed if I started stripping in class to run in wolf form. It was easy to guess who was what without using any of my abilities. The vampires were out front; their supernatural speed was an advantage for them and a disadvantage for the rest of us. The wolves were next, our speed and endurance were enhanced, but not that good. The fey and half fey were last, they were the most human and therefore hindered by their human side. I easily kept pace with Quinn and the other wolves in the class. We didn't have to run for long, as soon as the fey kids started slowing down the rest of us came to a stop. I wasn't even winded whereas many of them were hunched over gasping for breath. It couldn't be easy trying to compete with those with enhanced physical abilities. I stretched my arms above my head as we waited for further instruction. The rest of the lesson passed without much hassle and I was given the chance time after time to prove myself to the other wolves. Apparently there weren't many females at the school, I wasn't surprised really; we were kind of rare. So, I had a little more to prove than the others. I needed to show them that I wasn't a submissive female, that I could do anything that they could do. I felt good after the workout as I walked back into the changing room after class. I could see curious glances from the other girls being shot in my direction as I changed back into the clothes I’d been wearing before. I was happy to have an art class right after P.E it gave me the chance to calm down and gather my senses. The only problem with doing physical activity is that it made me want to shift and the school didn't allow shifting during the three weeks before the full moon. It was only the week of the full moon that we were allowed to shift right down the back of the school property. I walked in the direction-which one of the girls pointed me in-towards the art room. It was a small building, identical to the others, just a lot smaller and set a little further away from the rest of the school. I walked into the room and found Quinn sitting at one of the tables. He glanced up when I entered and a small smile appeared on his lips.
“Ashra,” he said softly. “You can sit here if you like?” He made it a question which was strange considering he was a male wolf. Generally, they spoke as if they were your superior. I hated it. I gave him a small smile in return and sat down next to him.
“So,” he said. “How’s your first day been?”
“Pretty good so far, everyone’s nice, they’re just not-” I broke off in search of the right word.
“Forthcoming? Openly welcoming?” he supplied. I laughed lightly and nodded.
“Something like that,” I replied. The corner of his lips twitched in what I thought could be a smile, but he turned away before I could see it. A flash of disappointment shot through me, I had no idea where the emotion had come from. I glanced down at the open book in front of him. Not only was he a pretty descent athlete, he was a skilled artist. I tilted my head and studied the sketch. It was a simple still life sketch, but somehow it looked perfect, especially with the soft lines and folds of the cloth as well as the harder more defined edges of the objects themselves. I envied his skill.
“May I?” I asked and indicated towards the book in front of him. Quinn hesitated and for a moment I thought he was going to say no.
“Sure, why not?” he said as if he was trying to convince himself. I smiled and picked up the book. I moved backwards through the book, starting where he’d opened it. There were so many drawings that I couldn't wrap my head around when he’d had the time to do them all. At the front of the book was a drawing of a wolf. I smiled at this one. It was probably my favorite drawing out of all of them. It was very detailed, including all the different shades that would be found in the fur of the wolf. But it wasn't only the wolf itself that was detailed; the forest around the animal was too. I could even spot another pair of eyes in the underbrush.
“You’re very good,” I murmured as I studied the drawing. “How’d you get her to stay still so long?”
“How do you know it was a ‘she’?” he asked with his eyebrows raised. I gave him a look and shook my head.
“The shape of the body mostly, she’s leaner than a male would be. Also the shape of her face, she’s small, without all the muscle. I’d say she doesn't run too often,” I said. Quinn laughed and shook his head. I didn't know what the gesture meant, but I had a feeling I was right. The unnerving thing was I felt like I knew the wolf in the picture. I opened the book to the page it had been on and set it back on the table.
“You never answered my question,” I said after a few minutes of silence, but Quinn merely smiled instead of answering. I guessed that was as good as I was going to get. I turned my attention from the boy beside me and focused on the lesson. I was a descent enough drawer, but I could use a little more practice. At home, I’d been too focused on beating the boys as much as possible and drawing just wasn't in the cards. Now though, now I had so much more time to do whatever I wanted. It also meant I could do my own circles more often. I was looking forward to developing my magic as a half witch. I’d known a few that could do some pretty spectacular things, like one that could move small objects with her mind and throw them at people. I wouldn't mind learning how she did it. It could be a pretty good offensive as well as defensive weapon.
“So, will I see you at lunch?” Quinn asked as he packed up his art supplies at the end of the lesson.
“Most likely,” I said. I didn't feel much like eating, even with the physical activity. Quinn raised a dark eyebrow at me and I could tell there was something he wanted to ask me. Apparently he thought better of it because he shook his head slightly said goodbye and left. Again, I felt mildly disappointed. I hated this new fixation I had with the wolf. Maybe it’s because he isn't a part of my pack, I thought as I walked towards the dining hall to find Damien. I’d never really been around too many male wolves that hadn't been a part of my pack. It was kind of a rule. I mulled this over as I walked absently in the general direction I wanted to go. I didn't get very far before I was cornered by someone I’d never met before. They weren't alone either. I’d been so consumed by my thoughts that I’d let my guard down. My eyes flicked over their faces and I felt a little bit nervous when I realized they were all physically bigger than me and being vampire, stronger than me as well. It didn't take me long to work out what they wanted. My lips parted and I shook my head. While vampires didn't smell very pleasant to wolves, the opposite wasn't so true. Before everyone became ‘civilized’ the vampires had hunted my kind for their blood. I didn't like the idea of becoming some bloodsucker’s lunch. I memorized each of their faces for later reference. I wasn't going to forget this. The one standing closest to me smiled and I knew I was right about his agenda.
“Don’t even think about it,” I growled. His smile grew and I saw his fangs peek through his lips as they extended. They indented his lower lip, looking as sharp as any of my teeth when I was in wolf form.
“Aw come on wolfy,” he purred. “Just a little bite.”
“I don’t think so,” I said. I held my ground as he advanced on me.
“I think so,” he said softly. My eyes flicked towards those standing behind him. I felt my hands shift behind my back. Being a witch wasn't just good for changing your hair colour. I could change small things about myself like my form. Right now, my hands were shifting into sharpened claws and I was ready to scratch his eyes out. I watched him inch closer to me and I waited for the perfect moment to strike. I’d only get one shot at this and I wasn't going to blow it. He came within touching distance and I launched myself at him. My legs wrapped around his waist and my thumbs sank into his eyes. A horrible screeching sound erupted from his mouth and his own sharpened claws sank into my skin. This was a perk to being a vampire, their hands shifted along with their eyes and teeth. He stumbled back before regaining his balance and slamming my back into the stone wall. I bit my lip to keep from crying out in pain. I shut my eyes as pain radiated up my spine; the hit hadn't been a soft one. His teeth sank into my shoulder and this time I couldn't help the gasp that escaped my lips. I forced my fingers further into his eyes, but by this point his buddies had recovered from their surprise and were prying my hands and legs away from them. There vice like grip held me at arm’s length, dangling in mid air. A sound more animal than human emitted from my throat and I saw the indecision in the eyes of the two remaining vampires. They were no longer sure that this was a good idea. I looked at the one I’d injured. He was hunched over with his hands to his face. He’d heal and quickly. He’d also be extremely pissed and that was what I was worried about. The bite mark on my shoulder burned as badly as a silver blade. I hung my head and tried to catch my breath, it hitched in my throat and I fought the urge to shudder. The pain was excruciating. I knew for a fact that a vampire’s bite didn't always hurt, they had the option of making it hurt or making it pleasure filled. I’d have preferred the later and if I hadn't fought that could have been what I got. However, as I had fought him, the former had been what happened and I was now left with a torn shoulder. I didn't regret fighting him, I would never have willingly submitted to a vampires bite. It would have been worse than whoring myself out to any willing male. I hung there unable to do anything.
“Maybe we should just leave her,” one of his henchmen said. I could hear the uncertainty in his voice and I hoped for their ringleader’s sake that he listened to him. I was mildly unfortunate considering what came next. After he’d partially regained his sight, he walked up to me and slammed his knee into my stomach. I hear a crack as the hard flesh of his skin-which was like rock I might add- collided with my lower ribs. I whimpered as they dropped me and I landed hard on my hands and knees. Then everything went black.

They were gone before I woke up. I sat up and collapsed against the wall, unable to move with the broken ribs. My breath came out in sharp wheezes and every movement hurt. I knew I couldn't sit there and even with my own fast healing, I needed someone to reset my bones before they healed wrong. I used the wall to stand and held one arm across my stomach to try and keep my ribs in place. It was a slow and painful trek to find someone that could help and I was surprised and a little annoyed that the first person I fell across happened to be Quinn. I was slouched against a wall when he rounded the corner and almost collided with me. I whimpered and stumbled back almost falling over myself. Quinn’s blue eyes widened and he made a grab for me as my feet went out from under me.
“What happened?” he demanded.
“Fucking bloodsuckers,” I ground out between clenched teeth.
“We need to get you to the infirmary,” he said and put his hands under my arms to help me up. I gasped and clutched my stomach tighter.
“Ribs, ribs, ribs, ribs,” I repeated the words over and over again. Quinn caught on quickly enough and did something I didn't really expect.
“You’re not going to like this,” he said and pushed his fingers into the pressure point at my wrist. Usually this wouldn't work, but I think my body had had enough by then and everything went black for a second time that day.

I woke in a strange room. My whole body felt sluggish and heavy. Moving was such a huge effort that I knew they’d drugged me. It wouldn't last long, I knew that, but I also knew that I would heal quicker if I shifted. I turned my head and flinched when a sharp pain in my shoulder pierced through the haziness of my brain. Quinn sat with his cheek in his palm, his eyes shut. I watched him for a few seconds, before turning my face away from him. I felt so tired, but shutting my eyes meant dreaming. I didn't want to dream anymore. I’d had enough dreaming in the past two days. I don’t think I could stand it much longer. I didn't want to stay in that bed either. I shut my eyes and opened them again. Quinn shifted beside me and I turned my head and found him blinking sleepily at me.
“You’re awake,” he murmured.
“No shit,” I slurred slightly. A smile touched his lips and he dragged his seat closer to the edge of the bed. “You son of a bitch.”
He laughed softly. “I knew you wouldn't like it.”
“Damn right,” I muttered. My breathing was still wheezing slightly, but there was no longer the pressure in my chest that had been there before.
“It was the only way I could get you here without causing you more pain,” he said and shrugged. I tried to shake my head, but cringed when spikes of pain shot through me. “Do you know who did this to you?” I’d been waiting for this question and was surprised that it hadn't been the first thing he asked.
“No,” I said.
“Don’t think that just because you’re new you have to please everyone,” he murmured. I snorted and rolled my eyes.
“I am not that desperate for attention,” I replied. Quinn smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. He was worried about me, how sweet. “Besides, I did some damage of my own.”
Quinn lifted a dark eyebrow and stared at me skeptically. “Oh really?”
“Yes really,” I said and glanced in the general direction of my hands. “That’s not my blood.”
“I wondered,” he said as if to himself instead of me. I pretended that I didn't hear him.
“They haven’t called my dad, have they?” Quinn shrugged and I groaned; he took this as a sign that I was in pain rather than the frustration that it was.
“I’ll get Helena in here,” he said. He wiggled his eyebrows playfully. “She’s got you on some good shit.” I snorted and looked away from him. I heard him laughing as he walked out of the room. I waited in silence for them to return, but Quinn didn't come back. Helena returned with a small redheaded girl at her side.
“Ashra, you gave us quite a shock,” she said as she swept towards me. Little bells jingled on the skirts of her dress. I cringed slightly at the noise; my head was beginning to throb. “Elaine, here is a healer.” I arched my eyebrows.
“I don’t need a healer, I need to shift a couple of times and I’ll be sweet,” I said. Elaine looked slightly put out by my statement. I think she was looking forward to working on me. She opened her mouth to protest, but closed it when I shot her sour look. I didn't want some unknown faery anywhere near me when I was vulnerable, the witch was bad enough. Helena made this noise like she disapproved of my choices. It didn't surprise me; she could lose her job if I complained. I really didn't think she’d call and tell my father I’d been attacked on school grounds.
“Ashra, be reasonable. Elaine is a very accomplished healer,” she said trying to sway me to comply. I sighed and shook my head with minimal movement.
“She looks like she’s twelve!” I snapped. “She is not coming anywhere near me.”
“Fine, fine,” Helena muttered. I saw the sharp edge to her gaze and I didn't like the way it sent shivers up my spine. She shooed Elaine from the room and shut the door behind her. “I would like you to know that this is unethical and you should have taken the offer of a healer.”
“Yeah, whatever.” I carefully maneuvered into sitting position and shifted to my knees from there. I didn't care about the clothes I was wearing, they were pretty screwed anyway. Vampire blood wasn't great for clothing. I focused on the part of me that wasn't human. My wolf jumped at the cages of my mind, happy to finally be able to come out. I hadn't shifted in almost a week. My father had been pissed with me before I left and had disallowed it. My wolf jumped readily at the chance and it didn't take much concentrating on my part for the shift to begin. I leant heavily on my palms and knees and let the rest of my body relax into the shift. It hurt more if you were tense or tried to prevent it. It was going to hurt anyway, but I was prepared for it. My bones shifted and popped under my skin. Some cracked and reformed in different places. My hands curled into fists, shredding the sheets beneath me. Fur sprouted from my skin and I stood there on all four paws. I kept still for a couple of minutes before sitting back and testing my movements, I was still a little sore, but it was nothing like the excruciating pain I’d been in before. I lay down on the bed and let my body adjust to the change it had just undergone. Helena left me to rest and I shut my eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep.