Run

Over

Zane arrived the following day. He brought one wolf with him this time, the male, his second. I avoided him as much as I could, just as Rhiannon suggested. She had a plan. I didn’t question her, mostly because I was terrified that it was all going to go wrong and someone was going to find out about me. I stayed in my room and went out on long funs so that when I returned I fell into a deep enough sleep that I wouldn’t dream. I knew the legends about what bound soul mates could do. I’d been taught that they were merely fairy tales, things to make little girls happy. Shit I’d never previously believed in. What other explanation was there? I’d happily take any other one that didn't involve me being bound to Quinn for the rest of my life. When I sat alone near the river I searched for him, but there was something blocking me. It was just like the phone calls. I called as often as I could, but he never picked up. A small part of me was sure that he knew. He knew and he hadn’t told me. This thought only stirred the hot coals currently residing within me. With Damien’s death, I hadn’t been able to force the anger to leave. It was fuelling me, driving me towards this mating even when I didn't want it. I had to do this for him. I had to stop Helena and save him. The day of the mating ritual, as well as the full moon, I took off early. I didn't want to see them getting everything ready for the ceremony that night. I sat near the river on my own, naked in human form and ripped the grass out of the ground. The water glistened in the early morning sunlight, sparkling brightly. I imagined getting lost beneath the surface. The water rushing over my face and into my nose, filling my lungs. A shiver rolled over me, drowning seemed like a harsh way to go, but it was far better than death at the hands of the pack. I was the alphas daughter, Emilia’s transgression was forgiven, mine, would not be. The fact that I hadn’t actually done anything wouldn’t sway them. All of this played on my mind, making big loops from one thing to another. I couldn’t settle and I couldn’t focus on any one thing. Rhiannon was making me nervous; she’d been silent for the past couple of days. I knew she had a plan and that she was trying to help, but for someone that could be slightly jealous of the fact that I got out, I wasn’t sure I could trust her. I didn’t have much choice anymore though. She was my last hope, unless Zane accepted it. I could try telling him... that thought seemed impossible. He wanted control of the pack and I was no longer linked to it. I couldn’t do it.

Rhiannon found me by the river later that day and she wasn’t alone. I felt myself pale as the two walked towards me from the opposite direction to the house.
“You brought him here!” I snapped. I glanced between her and Quinn, my heart racing in my chest. I couldn’t believe he was standing here in front of me. “They’ll kill him!” Rhiannon rolled her eyes, but I was focused on other things. The presence in my mind. It was white hot and glowing. I looked at Quinn; he seemed different in that moment. Maybe I was seeing him differently because of what we were going through.
“I agreed to come,” he said softly and reached out to stroke my cheek. “You needed me.”
“What gave you that idea huh?” I was suddenly very angry that he was standing in front of me. “The fifty million times I called your phone? Or the fact that you blocked me out up here as well?” I tapped my temple and Quinn cringed slightly.
“I didn’t want to scare you,” he admitted weakly.
“Scare me?” I laughed a burst of sarcastic noise. “They could kill me for this!”
“I didn’t mean for it to happen,” he said hotly. Quinn was just as anxious about this as I was, I could feel it. He was letting me in. He was showing me small parts of himself at a time. I felt my anger at him subside slightly.
I sighed and pressed my palm to my forehead. “This isn’t your fault. It was that damn fucking alpha.”
Quinn frowned and I waved his questions off, instead letting the memory play in my head. I cringed as the alpha pulled out the blade that would sever my connection to my pack. Quinn’s blue eyes widened and I knew he was watching all of it play out just as I was.
“He didn’t-” he broke off and shook his head. “He hid his power.”
“I’m not sure that was it,” I murmured. “We never really considered possession. Witches can do it, it’s dark and it takes its toll, but it is possible.”
“Helena seemed fine afterwards though,” Quinn murmured. The two of them sat down on the grass beside me. I leant back on the palms of my hands and tipped my face towards the sun. It felt warm on my skin, but it couldn’t touch the chill that encompassed my heart.
“It was an illusion, kind of like compulsion in a pack. She wanted us to believe something different to what we were actually seeing,” I said. “When I went looking for answers, I found her in the nurses office with the healer. She looked old, older than I’ve ever seen her.”
“That would explain the disappearances,” Rhiannon said suddenly. I looked at her, frowning, how did she know that Helena had been disappearing? She cocked her head towards Quinn. “She goes away to try and find easier solutions, or to rest.” I will admit she had a point. Helena did leave the school quite often; apparently in search of more teachers although she had yet to bring one of them back.
I still had the problem of what to do with Quinn now that he was here. I looked at Rhiannon who was studying her nails.
“So, what’s the plan?” I asked.
“What plan?” She replied. “Getting him here was the plan.” My mouth dropped open and I couldn’t help the curse that slipped off my tongue. Rhiannon had basically just thrown me a ticking time bomb and expected me to defuse it or let it explode. I looked at the two of them. I didn't know what to do anymore now then when I’d gone to Rhiannon for help. Helpless, I pressed my hands into my face to stop the tears. I didn't want to cry in front of these two. It was bad enough that the sun was beginning to dip below the horizon. It was getting to the point that they would miss my absence now. I stood up, brushing the grass and whatnot off my shorts and looked back towards the house.
“I’m going to talk to my dad,” I said. “Listen out for me, yeah?” The last part was directed at Quinn and he knew it too. He nodded, feeling just as anxious as I was. I walked back, tugging at the clothing that was slightly too small. It had been stashed in one of the many hiding spots we kept in the trees. My stomach curled as I neared the house. What were they going to say? Do? I wasn’t so sure. Worst case scenario, I’d be dead by the end of the night.

Everything happened quite quickly after that. I emerged through the clearing to a very different backyard. There were white awnings with red roses, white chairs were set up in neat rows and there was a carpet of deep maroon running right through the centre. I paused in my steps. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach. I hated the feeling, the butterflies, they needed to be murdered. I moved across the lawn, careful to dodge anything to do with the wedding. I could hear a lot of noise coming from the inside of the house causing me to take pause again. Did I really want to go in there? No. As simple as that. I didn't want to go in there, I didn't want to be mated to Zane, I didn't want to be bound to anyone, and I didn't want any of this. I took a step back, tears in my eyes, I glanced towards the trees.
“Ashra?” Emilia. I turned to look at her. She looked beautiful in her pale dress with her hair in neat ringlets. The deep breath I’d taken shuddered out of me. This was happening. I took another step back. “Your mother’s looking for you.” Oh I’m sure she was. It was about time I got ready. Not that I wanted to.
“I need to talk to my dad,” I mumbled and pushed past her. Emilia tried to grab me, but I shrugged her off. The house was busy, people everywhere in various stages of unrest. Zane was in the guest house from what I gathered of the state of my mother. She was sending some of the younger males to see if he was alright or if he needed anything. I attempted to slip into the study before she could catch me, but my mother had eyes like a hawk. She grabbed me, dragging me backwards towards the stairs. I fought, but many of my other pack members thought it a joke. My mother’s bedroom door shut behind us and I found her sister with her daughter waiting for us. I stilled. The two were estranged family members. They’d left the pack a long time ago and I had not expected to see them today. I hadn’t expected to see them ever again. Nor did I particularly want to. My eyes flicked over my cousin. She was my age, almost exactly a month younger than me. She was smirking her arms wrapped around a very swollen belly. Ah, that would be why she looked so smug. Hillary thought she had something on me. It had always been a competition to her. The difference was; I was being mated to an alpha, something she’d need reminding of soon. Her black hair was piled atop her head, just as her mother’s was. The two up tight bitches sat there in their dresses looking as if they were looking at the scum on the bottom of their six inch heels. My mother didn't seem to mind so much. I don’t think she realised that the way she was looking at us wasn’t a good thing. A long white dress hung on a full length standing mirror in the corner of the room. My stomach turned, I felt more than a little sick just looking at it. I watched my mother move across to the bathroom and emerge a second later, motioning me over, I began stripping. Knowing I was in for a bath. I wasn’t exactly sure why I was complying with her. I didn’t plan to go through with this. Something occurred to me then. Rhiannon’s words came back to me ‘you like this boy? Then there isn’t a problem, start your own pack.’ Legally, if I had my own pack I could go to the summit. I could go to the meeting and get the answers I needed. I lowered myself into the scolding water. My mother scrubbed my skin as if I were a child. This was somewhat of a tradition. She was washing away all the negative energy, all from my past and giving me a new start. It was a cleansing ritual. I sunk lower into the water, immersing myself in its warm embrace. Sounds were muted under water, that wasn’t to say that I couldn’t still hear everything that was being said. I didn’t need to be mated to Zane to get to that meeting. I just needed Quinn. A smile twitched my lips, I liked that thought. I shouldn’t have, but I did. Quinn, he was something else, something very different. My mother dragged me up out of the water and I wiped at my face, just as I always do. I stood as she dried me off with a fluffy white towel. It was soft on my raw skin. My skin prickled and I felt as if someone was stabbing millions of tiny little needles into me over and over again. Something was wrong. It felt similar to when the alpha had taken the dagger to me. Was this how they did it? Was this the more traditional mind meld? Or was it because Quinn was so close by? I let my mother treat me like a doll, dressing me in these stupid clothes for something I didn't want to do. The corset drew my stomach in, and pushed my breasts up. It was old fashioned to say the least. I let her tug the laces tighter and tighter. I watched the darkening sky out the bedroom window hashing out my plan in my head. It was touchy; I’d have to time it just right otherwise...my thoughts trailed off as what I was about to do actually sunk in. My chest felt tight and my breathing was uneven. My mother tugged the last strings into place and took a step back to look at me. I finally looked at my reflection. I was in no way an expert on dresses or just clothing in general, but this, this was something different. I don’t know what it was made out of, but the dress was light and airy, shimmering slightly in the very little sunlight that filtered into the room. I stared at my reflection in the mirror, almost scared to believe that it was actually me I was staring at. I turned away from my reflection, feeling the dress bunch around my ankles. The shoulder straps were slim and I was scared like anything they were going to break and reveal everything beneath. I wasn’t afraid of being naked; I just didn't like the idea of being that naked in front of so many people while they were already focused on me. Damn, I didn't think about that. Judging by the number of chairs outside, there were actually quite a number of people here for this. It was too late to turn back now.

Candles flickered, dancing in the darkness, casting shadows against the faces of those standing in rows. I took a couple of deep breaths and attempted to calm my racing heart. It would have been expected for me to be nervous. No one would question my racing heart, but it wasn’t the wedding or the binding that scared me. It was what came next. I walked the aisle alone. It was a tradition, but it felt very lonesome right then. Having everyone staring at me as I walked down the red carpet was nerve racking as hell. What I was about to do...it was so scandalous, so outrageous that I couldn’t believe it was actually happening. The aisle felt very long with so many eyes. Eyes. Eyes from every angle, gazing at me. I kept my eyes trained ahead of me. I didn't look at anyone or thing. I couldn’t bring myself to look at Zane or my father right then. I was about to betray them in the worst way. My mother stood in the very front row, her hands pressed tightly to her face. She was crying. What were happy tears now, were about to be very unhappy tears in less than ten. I inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. I stepped up onto the make shift altar with Zane. I stood in between my father and Zane, with his pack member on the other side of him. I reached out to Quinn in my mind and felt him stir on the other end. Quinn was just as uneasy as I was, if not more so, but he did as he was meant to. He came forward, hesitating for a millisecond, he moved into the clearing with Rhiannon at his side. All eyes moved off of me towards Quinn.
“What-” my mother broke off as she stood up. Other murmurs came from around me. Eyes flicked to me and then back at Quinn as the slow realisation sunk in. I took a step back before they could grab me. I half fell off the altar and onto the grass, putting myself in between my family and Quinn.
“Daddy,” I said softly. “I can explain.” As soon as the words were out of my mouth the night exploded into movement. I tried to watch them all, to get to Quinn. I wasn’t quick enough. I was nowhere near quick enough for the number of people that swarmed us. Wolves grabbed Quinn, Rhiannon was dragged away and I, well, I was pulled to my knees by my hair. Pain shot through me as some of it was ripped from my scalp. My eyes watered and I lifted my hands to my hair, I grabbed at the hands of whoever held me and bit my lip.
“Please!” I whimpered.
“Shut it, Ashra!” My father snarled. I opened my eyes to find my mother standing over me. Her hand firmly grasping my hair. This was not as I had hoped it would go.
“No!” I snapped. “Ah!” My mother yanked harder and I fell backwards against her. Quinn came into view, his head hanging forward, his limbs limp. They held him up easily between the two of them. For a fleeting second I thought they’d killed him, but his life force was a bright spark on the end of our bond. I exhaled and momentarily shut my eyes. He was alive, but he was in pain. Anger flashed deep within me. I squashed it. I shouldn’t be reacting like this, Quinn wasn’t mine. We may have been bound together, but that was it.
“Alpha, please?” A softer voice asked. “She can explain, let her talk.” Rhiannon. She was coming to our aid. I had expected her to tuck tail and run as soon as she could. She was stronger than I’d first thought.
“Explain what? How she is bound to him?” He snarled. His voice more wolf than human. “How she has given up her pack for some boy?!”
“A disgrace,” my mother muttered. She twisted her hand a little harder.
“She should be killed,” someone else said softly. I squeezed my eyes shut against the tingling sensation in my scalp; it was becoming more of an annoyance now. Other murmurs rose up and the voices of those around me began to merge together. One thing was made very clear though, I was no longer pack. A hush fell as someone I hardly recognised moved towards Quinn, it was one of the more distant pack members, those that identified as part of our pack but stayed near the edges of our territory. I watched as he moved in front of Quinn and inhaled deeply. The guy frowned and lifted his nose to the air. What was he doing? I watched him walk around each of the pack members, just as they all did, a stunned silence ringing through the clearing. He bypassed me, barely lifting his nose in my direction and went straight for Angel. He inhaled deeply, just as he had done with Quinn and turned back to my father.
“The child reeks of him,” he said. I tried to twist my head towards Emilia and Angel, but my mother refused to budge. I huffed loudly, but let it go. What did he mean Angel smelt like Quinn? That’s when the last few puzzle pieces fell into place. I looked at Quinn, lips parted, who was still out cold and finally managed to twist around to look at Emilia and Angel.
“That’s how you knew!” I gasped. My mother let go and I tumbled forward onto my hands and knees. I stayed at a lower level, a sign of submission. Tears pricked at my eyes as everything became clear all at once. That was why Jasmine had a photo of Emilia; the drawing of the wolf in Quinn’s sketchbook had been outstandingly familiar because it had been her, which was how she knew that Quinn and I were bound. It would also explain her hostile demeanour. She was acting like a mated wolf. I couldn’t believe it. I sat there, staring down at my hands and wished more than anything that I could just go back. I wished I’d never entered that school or met any of my new friends. Liar, that little voice inside me said. You’re lying because it hurts too much to comprehend. It was right. I knew that of course, I didn't want to admit it, but it was true. I couldn’t imagine not knowing Quinn, Jasmine or Tristan. I couldn’t see myself returning from the public school I used to go to, day after day and being happy about it. Because for a time there, I was happy. Quinn and Jasmine, they were closer to me than any family member I’d ever had. I hardened my heart, letting it all slide away from me. I stood up, something no one else expected. I turned to my father.
“I didn't mean for this to happen,” I said. I was surprised by how strong my voice sounded. “You can blame me all you want, but I am leaving here tonight and I will take Quinn and any others who want to come, with me.” Silence met my words and the two holding Quinn glanced towards my father. I knew that challenging him was a risky move, but I’d hoped that my father would see the alpha in me and appreciate that all his hard work was finally paying off. He kept his gaze level on me. I knew he was thinking of all the possible outcomes of this. He wouldn’t want to seem weak, but I was his daughter and he didn’t want to completely isolate the younger generation. I held a lot of influence of the young ones and he knew it. Letting me go would either show weakness or leniency. I chewed on my lower lip, a nervous gesture and kept my eyes on my father. I wasn’t backing down from this.
“You can go,” my father said finally. “But he, he stays.” The two holding Quinn moved as my father did, dragging him into the house behind my parents. Others, the more loyal pack members followed, giving me dirty looks on the way past. I squeezed my eyes shut and attempted to follow, but was pushed back by one of the male wolves. Those that followed mimicked the gesture. I could take a hint. They didn't want me in or near the house. I stumbled back as someone pushed harder than they needed to. Emilia ducked her head and tried to sneak past me. The feelings of betrayal I was now harbouring stirred the white hot anger that had previously been subdued by nerves.
“Why didn't you tell me?” I demanded as I grabbed her arm and swung her around. Her strange eyes met mine and narrowed.
“Because it was none of your business!” She snapped back. There was something off with her tonight, I could see it. It took me all of thirty seconds to realise it was hope. Emilia thought my dad was going to let her be with Quinn. I laughed. The sarcastic noise surprised Emilia and for a second her eyes widened. I continued laughing. It was absurd and I really shouldn’t have been doing it, but with the way my emotions had been that day, I wasn’t surprised I was finally cracking.
“You really think he’s going to let you be with him?” I asked. Emilia’s face hardened. Anger tightened her jaw and she gripped Angel closer to her chest.
“You have to right to judge me,” she hissed. She looked over her shoulder at the house, her curls bouncing and then back at me. “You’ve just lost everything, don’t you see that?”
“He’s not going to let the two of you be together,” I said quietly. All laughter faded from me, leaving me solemn and untouchable. “Not that Quinn wants you anyhow. You were an idiot Emilia, you should have known better.” She jerked her head away from me, her eyes wide and brimming with tears. I felt bad for treating her like this, but it was the truth, and sometimes, the truth was a ruthless bitch. Emilia spun around and raced into the house, slamming the back door behind her. I stood there in the dark yard, feeling defeated and alone. Rhiannon approached me slowly. She was uneasy, knowing it was all her fault.
“I’m sorry, Ash,” she murmured.
“It’s fine,” I said. “I couldn’t be with someone like that. Someone that left their kid with a nutcase like her.” Rhiannon smiled tightly.
“He didn’t know,” she mumbled. “He was just as shocked as you were.” I let that sink in slowly. If Quinn hadn’t known then I couldn’t blame him. My anger at him slowly subsided. I felt defeated, like someone had come along beaten me to a pulp and left me on the sidewalk. My phone started ringing and I frowned, searching for the source of the noise. Rhiannon smiled tentatively and pulled the device from her pocket. I opened my mouth to ask when exactly she’d managed to take it, but the caller I.D had the words shrivelling up on my tongue. With a mouth that tasted like ash, I pressed answer and lifted the phone to my ear.
“Hello, Jasmine?”