Sequel: My Forever Girl

Lost, Then Found

Ch. Ten

Jared’s P.O.V.

I didn’t understand it, but then again I didn’t care. Sam ordered me to stay, but when I seen the plane crash into that building knowing Kim was inside, I knew I had to save her. That pull keeping me grounded in La Push broke. The feeling of a chain keeping me tied to this house as if I was a dog, broke. I needed to find Kim, nothing else mattered to me more in that instant.

The thought of her possibly being dead didn’t cross my mind til this moment. This whole situation felt unreal. Yet again I felt like everything was my fault. If I hadn’t done that, or said this, would she still have gone. I should have told her everything, the legends of the tribe, about being a huge fucking wolf that’s meant to protect the tribe from bloodsuckers, about her being my imprint. Would she even believed me, or would she think I was making it up to keep her there? I could have always phased, but than again I wasn’t sure that would have been any better, probably would have freaked her out even more. Damn it, I’m such a hypocrit. I lectured her about not opening up to me when I haven’t even opened up to her. Please, just let her be alive and safe. I promise I will do right from now on, no more lies, I’ll tell her everything, just let her be ok.

(Jared, where are you?)

(I don’t know, Wisconsin I think.)

(How did you break the order? Sam’s pissed.)

(I don’t know. Obeying him just didn’t matter anymore. Kim is more important to me.)

(No one’s ever been able to go against Alpha’s orders.)

(I just have a feeling Kim is alive, and she needs me. That force was stronger than the one that was keeping me there.)

(Jared I’m on my way.)

(No, I need to do this on my own Jacob.)

(I care about her too Jared. She’s my best friend, a little sister, It’s killing me not knowing anything.)

(I need to do this. Don’t worry, I’ll bring her back home.)

(How do you know she’s even…)

(SHE’S ALIVE. Don’t you say it, don’t you even think it.)

Kim’s P.O.V.

“Glad to see you awake. You gave us quite a scare.”

As my vision became clearer I noticed a brown curly haired man wearing scrubs sitting in a chair beside my bed. He had a clip board in his hand that he would glance down at momentarily from time to time, and then return looking at me waiting for my response.

“Where am I?” My voice came out raspy. It sounded like I hadn’t used my voice in years. I tried pushing myself up to a sitting position, but the pain shooting threw my body at every attempt I made sent me back down on the bed.

“Whoa, take it easy! I don’t want to have to sedate you.” The man said with a friendly grin. “You’re at St. Vincent’s Hospital.” He ended with answering my question from before.

“Hospital?” I replied in confusion.

“Yes, the hospital. I’m Dr. Brady. I’ve been taking care of you and the woman over there when I can. You both arrived here a while ago.” He pointed to the woman in the bed across the room. It took a few minutes for me to realize it was Shianne. Horror struck me as I looked at her. She was covered in cuts and bruises, which was almost impossible to see beneath the layers of gray ash that I now saw on myself. Her head was bandaged, and even though she should be in pain, she looked at peace while she slept, probably from the medication. The Dr. must have noticed the horror upon my face as I looked at her.

“I take it you know her?” He asked with that friendly smile. I shook my head up and down as a response.

“Don’t worry; she’s going to be just fine. She only suffered a slight head injury, and a few minor cuts and bruising. You on the other hand have a broken leg, cracked ribs, and also a head injury, but you’re going to be fine as well. I’m the best Dr. around and I’ve been taking good care of you.” He replied with a wink.

“What happened?” I asked, my voice sounding a little better.

“What’s the last thing you remember?”

“A bright light, and a man telling me to wake up.”

He scratched his head. “Maybe a paramedic?” He said to himself more than responding to me. “That’s it?” This time clearly talking to me.

“Yeah, what happened?” I asked again.

The Dr. flipped on the t.v. and immediately everything came back to me. Being trapped in the building, to finding our escape, to being chased by the black cloud, to now. My eyes filled with tears as I watched a plane fly into the building I used to work in. It was not an explosion, it was an airplane. Who would do such a thing?

“Terrorist attack!” Dr. Brady said shaking his head as if he answered the question I asked in my head.

“Turn it off!” I screamed.

He flipped the t.v. off and returned his attention on me.

“Do you remember?”

“Yes, now I wish I didn’t.”

He just nodded as if he understood, but he doesn’t, he hadn’t been through it, he just saw the after math of the hell that I and many others have just went through. My head ached at the thought of how many people were inside those buildings. Some were people I once worked with, people that surrounded me on the stairs on the same fight for survival.

“Desmond, Eli! Where are they?” I shouted in terror.

“Listen, you have to understand there are a lot of bodies missing. There are still search parties out. Right now it’s really difficult to tell you where anyone is. All we can do is wait.”

Dr. Brady we need you in the ER. An announcement came over the system.

“I’ll be back later to check on you.” He said over his shoulder as he rushed out of the door.

I was left alone with my thoughts, a dangerous thing. I prayed Desmond was ok. It’s hard to believe I just talked to him a few minutes before hell broke loose. His bright smiling face; would I ever see it again? I tried to tell myself that he’s ok, he was on the lower level, and he got out before the building crumbled. That didn’t ease my mind, because I knew what kind of person Desmond was.
He probably stuck around helping others out, putting himself in harm’s way. He was always like that; it was his best and worst quality.

My thoughts drifted back to moments before I blacked out. Eli’s worried face as he pushed me to the building, for safety? Did Eli save me? Was it his guilt catching up to him for beating me for so many years while we were together? Was he dead? I couldn’t wrap my head around the last question. I was split into two, much like in the cartoons when they would have a devil on their one shoulder pushing bad thoughts into their head, and an angel on the other side trying to get them to do the right thing. I knew I should be worried and sad not knowing if he was ok or even alive, but I wasn’t sure if that’s what I truly felt. If I’m being honest, I would say I felt more calm and relieved. Karma finally came around and justice had been served for once. Was I horrible for thinking that way?

I decided to think about something else. I thought about Jared hoping it would make me feel better, but it didn’t. It only made me miss him. Made me wonder what he was doing, did he hear about the attacks, was he worried? All of that made me remember the bright light dream, if that’s what it was. Usually my dreams got fuzzy and hard to remember when I woke up, but not this one. I could describe the man who looked so familiar, I could tell you word for word of the conversation, which led back to Jared. The man said Jared’s name.

Jared’s P.O.V.

“I’m sorry sir, I can’t let you past this line, it’s too dangerous.” The officers told me as they pushed me back. I controlled the anger knowing that I being in jail for assaulting a police officer would not help Kim.

I was so close and yet so far away. I could smell a faint scent of her which only drove my wolf wild wanting to take over. I had come too far to give up just because a pig denied me access.
I found some fireman gear and put it on. A group of firemen ran as fast as they could past me, which was my que to follow in order to blend in.

As I crossed the tape I couldn’t believe what I saw, or didn’t see for that matter. There were very few structural pieces left in place of where the two very tall buildings should have been. There were mounds of debris everywhere, and everyone was gray covered in a thick sheet of dust.

I had never been more grateful to be a wolf. Her scent was stronger, near by. I let my nose lead the way watching every step I took, careful not to fall through the taller mounds of debris.

The sight would haunt me forever, and the smell would have burned my nose if I hadn’t been so focused on her scent. My nose led me to where her scent was the strongest. I began digging through the debris. My heart broke each time I came up empty handed.

I stopped for a moment and let my ears take over. I heard a faint cough? Maybe a gasp for air? Didn’t matter, I knew someone was down there.

‘We got a live one over here.” I shouted hoping help would come. Within seconds I had two others digging and cutting through the pile.

20 minutes had passed and that just got us a glimpse of the trapped person.

Few hours and a short argument later I was able to swivel my way down to the man. The man’s leg was pinned; lucky for him it looked easy enough to unpin him.

“Sir, I need you to stay awake! My name’s Jared and I’m here to help get you out of here.”

“Thank you.” He whispered.

“Keep your eyes open. Talk to me.” I had to keep him from falling asleep. He looked like he had been banged up pretty bad. He was covered in blood from head to toe; I had no idea how much blood he’s lost. If he fell asleep now he might not wake up.

“What’s your name?” I asked while grasping at the steel rods pinning his left leg.

“Elijah.” He replied shutting his eyes.

“Come on Elijah, keep your eyes open. I’m going to get you out.”

He kept mumbling something about saving a girl and wondering if she was ok. I didn’t respond, though I don’t think he was looking for an answer from me. He was almost like a broken record repeating himself. I tuned him out as I worked at freeing his leg. Another 20 or so minutes later I got him to the top where they sent him down the line of people carrying him to the ambulance.
I began to wonder if I would ever get to Kim. It seemed like every time I tried to get away a fireman would stop and ask me for help. Of course I stopped to help, it was in my genes to help and protect people.

I had been around ground zero more than enough times to come to know without a doubt she was not there. The only place I smelled her scent was not far from where Elijah had been discovered and I searched through that area more than half a dozen times. I came to the conclusion that she had to have already been rescued. Now was the task of finding the hospital she was taken to. No problem at all, I thought to myself as I rolled my eyes in irritation of not finding her yet.