Sequel: My Forever Girl

Lost, Then Found

Ch. Twent-Eight

Kim’s P.O.V.

It was a little over a month since Jacob took his place as Alpha. He was a natural, and it seemed like the pack was ok with the change, and even if they weren’t there wasn’t much they’d be able to do. The only one we didn’t hear much from was Sam. We were still unsure about his decision, every time we’d thought he’d given up his wolf he’d show up randomly at a meeting. It was like he’d come around just to check up on Jacob to make sure he didn’t fuck up.

Sam has yet to say anything to me which made me feel even worse. I still debated whether I made the right choice. It felt like it was my entire fault no matter how many times Jared told me it was for the best. He also said Sam would get over it, I didn’t see any progress in that. Sam and I never got the chance to form a close relationship before this happened, but I love him none the less because he was a part of my new family. I wanted him to be a part of my baby’s life just as much as anybody else in the pack would be.

“You ready?” Jared asked taking my hand and leading me to the car.

“Mmmhhhmmm.” I answered.

We were headed to Emily’s baby shower. Everyone hesitated when we first got the invite, we weren’t sure if we should attend or not because of everything that happened with Sam. We all knew how much it would hurt Emily if we didn’t go. My guilt took over; I felt like I already hurt Sam, I didn’t want to hurt Emily too, so the other imprints and I got together and bought a bunch of gifts consisting of clothes, toys, bottles, and pacifiers. Jacob and the rest of the pack built Emily a rocking chair.

I think this party was Emily’s attempt to bring the pack together. For her sake I prayed we would be able to get through it without any fights breaking out.

Jared and I were the last ones to arrive. The pack must have been inside; the yard was empty except for Sam who I spotted walking into his garage.

“Jared go on inside, I’ll be there in a minute.” He noticed where I was looking.

“Kim I don’t want you to talk to him by yourself.”

“Jared I’ll be fine, I need to do this. I promise I’ll call you if I need you.” He shot me once last worried glance before sighing and turning around to head inside.

As I got closer I could hear music softly playing. I gently knocked on the door. When I got no response I took a deep breath and decided to go in anyways. What’s the worst that could happen, him telling me to get out? I could live with that, knowing that at least I had tried to fix things.
I searched around the large garage until I spotted Sam working on something. As I got closer I saw that it was a baby crib and he was carving the letter “M” into it.

“Do you mind if I come in?” I ask.

“You’re already in.” He replied without even turning around.
I remained silent for a while and just watched as he continued to work on the crib.

“It’s beautiful.” I finally say breaking the silence.

“Thanks.” He replied flatly.

“Do you already know what you’re having?”

“A boy.”

“Wow, I bet you’re excited.”

“Uh huh.”

I sigh knowing this conversation was going nowhere. “Sam, can you please talk to me?”

“I am talking to you.” He says with an irritated tone.

“Barely, not to mention you haven’t even looked at me once since I’ve been here.”

Sam slammed his tool on the work bench. Sam was always in control of his anger so to say I was frightened would be an understatement.

“You have my attention, so talk!” He shouted.

I stood frozen while I gathered my thoughts. I had no idea what I wanted to say. A few tears fell from my eyes as I said the only thing that came to mind. “I’m sorry Sam.”

His face softened. “I know.” He whispered. He sighed before continuing, “You shouldn’t be though. You were asked for your opinion and you gave it. You were also right Kim.”

I looked at him confused wiping away the remaining tears from my cheeks with my sleeves. “You’re not mad?” My voice cracked as I asked.

“Oh I’m pissed.” He paused. “I’m just pissed at the wrong people. I’m the one that made the bad decisions, but instead of recognizing that I was taking my anger out on all of you.”

“If it makes you feel any better I think anyone would have reacted that way.” I replied. Sam gave a light smile. “I just hope you know that no matter what happened we still love you Sam, and we appreciate everything you did while you were Alpha. So you made a few bad choices, no one is perfect, you’re still a valuable member of this pack.”

“Thanks Kim.” He replied with a smile. “I do miss the pack, but it has been nice being able to be here for Emily during the pregnancy.” He added.

“I’m sure she’s glad that you’re around more.”

“Yeah, she is.”

“Well, we should probably go inside for the party.”

“I suppose.” Sam replied with a grin.

As Sam and I walked into the house the room grew silent. Emily’s face lit up as soon as she saw Sam. You could tell that somehow she knew everything was ok. As for everyone else, they stared for a couple minutes but eventually carried on with their conversations. In that moment you could feel the tension in the air disappear.

The women all surrounded Emily as they watched her open her gifts while the guys huddled in the corner and talked. I watched silently as Sam approached Jacob and began talking to him like nothing had changed.

“Should we be worried?” Shianne whispered to me as her eyes were focused on Sam and Jacob.

“No, everything is going to be ok.” I reassured her.

“Wow, what’d you say to get through to him?” Jared said as he snuck up behind me wrapping his arms around my waist and placing a kiss on my cheek.

“Just reminded him of things he already knew.” I replied as I returned the kiss.

“You are amazing you know that?” He asked looking into my eyes.

“You’re just now figuring that out?” I replied jokingly. He rolled his eyes, and placed one last kiss on my lips before returning to the group of guys.

As my phone started vibrating in my pocket I instinctively pulled it out and answered it without giving it a second thought that everyone that had this number was in the same room as me.

“Hello?” I answered.

“It’s nice to hear your voice again Kim.” The sound of his voice sent chills down my spine. I knew I’d probably lost all color in my face. I walked out of the living room into the hallway so I wouldn’t draw any attention to myself.

“You there?” Eli growled into the phone.

“H-how’d you get this number?” I asked trying not to let the fear seep through my voice.

“Aw Kim, an I miss you Eli would have been nice to hear.” He chuckled into the phone.

“What do you want Eli?” I asked coldly.

“Ouch Kim, I’m hurt. I thought you’d be happy to hear from the man that saved your life. You know, you never did thank me for that.”

I scoffed. “I don’t owe you anything. Did you honestly think because you saved me I’d just automatically forget about the cracked ribs, busted lip, and black eyes you gave me time and time again when we were together?”

“You ungrateful bitch, and to think I wanted you back.” He spat into the phone.

“You could never get this back.”

“We’ll see Kim.”

“Go to hell.” I replied before hanging up.

“Whoa, who was that?” A voice from behind both scared me and caught me off guard. I turned around to see Jared with a concerned face staring back at me.

“It was just a telemarketer.” I lied.

“And you told them to go to hell?” He questioned with an eyebrow raised.

“You know how annoying they can be.” I replied laughing it off trying to sound convincing.

“Uh huh.” He replied still staring at me. “Do you want me to make sure they don’t call back?” He asked.

“NO, I think they got the message.” I said with a forced smile. Convinced by my story, Jared nodded, and then left for the kitchen to make himself a plate of food.

I stood there in silence as I let Eli’s words sink in. “We’ll see Kim,” his words echoed in my head, haunting me as I tried to figure out their meaning.

Once again not paying attention to my surroundings I was unaware of the person standing behind me. “Why’d you lie?” I jumped as I felt a warm hand on my shoulder.

“Embry! You scared the hell out of me.” I shout.

“Sorry.” He replied.

I let out a puff of air while running my fingers through my hair. “It’s ok.” I whisper.

“Kim, why’d you lie to Jared?” He asked again.

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I respond avoiding looking into his eyes.

In one swift motion Embry reached forward lifting my chin so that I am staring straight into his deep brown eyes. “You know exactly what I’m talking about. Why didn’t you tell Jared that Eli called you?”
I push his hand away freeing myself from his grasp. “What were you doing, stalking me?”

“Kim, cut the crap and answer the question.”

“Fine, I didn’t tell him because I don’t want him to worry. Everything is going good between us right now; I don’t want this situation to mess things up.”

“What’s going to happen when he finds out you lied to him?”

“He’s not going to find out because you’re not going to tell him.” I growl back at him.

Embry’s face softens. “What if he comes looking for you?”

“He won’t, he doesn’t know where I am.”

“If he could find out your number I’m sure it won’t be too difficult for him to find out where you live.” Embry replied with a saddened face.

‘I doubt it; he knows I’m with Jared.”

“Kim…”

“Embry just drop it. Please!” I plead with him.

He wipes a hand over his face and lets out a sigh. “Fine, I won’t tell Jared.” He whispers.

“You can’t tell anyone, which mean you have to block them out when you’re in wolf form.”

“Kim…”

“Please Embry.”

“OK!” He shouts back irritated and not convinced he’s making the right decision.

“Thank you.” I whisper hugging him softly.

“Let me finish. There’s one condition.” He replied pushing me back.

“What?”

“I want a wolf around you 24/7. If Jared isn’t there, I will be.”

“No, Jared finally let go of his insecurities about us, how are you going to explain to him about you being around so much?”

A grin formed on his face as he replied, “I’m not. You are.”

“Embry..” This time he cut me off.

“You want me to keep my mouth shut about Eli; you’ll abide by my one condition.”
I stood there glaring back at Embry wanting nothing more than to smack that stupid grin plastered across his face.

“Everything ok?” Jared asked as he walked in.
Embry took one last glance at me before he started to walk away.

“Yea, everything is fine.” I reply with a smile looking back at Jared.

Jared quickly looked back at the door Embry just left through, then back at me. ‘Looked like an intense conversation.” Jared replied with an eyebrow raised.

I could feel my face begin to heat up, hopefully it wasn’t turning red. That would be all I needed, Jared getting upset thinking something was going on between Embry and me again.

“No, he was just asking about the baby.” I replied.

“Oh.” I paused. “Um, you ready to go home?”

“Yes please.” I smile placing a kiss on his cheek.