Sequel: My Forever Girl

Lost, Then Found

Ch. Nine

JACOB’S P.O.V.

“Kim what’s going on?”

“Kim!” I shouted over and over again until the phone went dead. I immediately called back several times, but each time came up empty handed. Every time I called back it would go straight to voicemail. This only led me to thinking the worst. Did Eli find her? They were in a public place, there were eye witnesses around if he was stupid enough to try and do something to her.

I was pacing back and forth still trying to get a hold of Kim, but I wasn’t having any luck. I decided to go for a walk and try to calm myself down.

Off in the distance I could hear Seth and Leah arguing. This was not uncommon, and normally I would ignore it and go about my business, but instead I decided to go and break it up in hopes it would get my mind off the situation at hand.

“What if she’s in danger, I think we should go tell Jared.” Seth shouted ripping his arm away from Leah’s grip.

“What are the chances? Do you want to get Jared all worked up for nothing? He’s already going through enough as it is; we don’t need to add to it.” Leah shot back attempting to get grip of Seth’s arm once again.

“What’s going on?” I said as I approached.

“Haven’t you seen the news?” Seth replied. He was clearly frightened, and it sent a bad feeling shooting through my body.

“No I haven’t, why?” I asked alarmed.

Leah rolled her eyes. “Something happened to a building in New York and right away Seth thinks Kim’s in danger. It’s a big city, what are the chances she was in it?”

“What happened and what building?” I shouted, stunning both of them.

“We’re not sure. They think there was an explosion at the World Trade Center.”

I thought my heart was going to stop. The last place Kim said she was before the phone went dead was WTC. That sound before the phone went dead, was that the explosion?

“Jake, you’re freaking me out, say something.” Leah said.

“She was in that building.”

“What! How do you know?” Leah asked grabbing Seth, preventing him from running off.

“That’s where she said she was before I heard a loud noise. Then her phone went dead and I haven’t been able to get a hold of her since then. Her phone goes straight to voicemail.”

Both of their eyes grew wide. Leah gasped and her mouth flew to cover her mouth. “Oh no, Jared.” She mumbled just loud enough for me to hear.

“No one talks to Jared until after we speak to Sam.” I said. Sam was the alpha; he would know what to do. I hoped he did, because I was clueless.

JARED’S P.O.V.

The lady at the airport was no help yesterday. I was still pissed about it. To make my day even worse I made the mistake of telling Sam and the rest of the pack my decision to go to New York. I was going to run there if I couldn’t get there by plane. They all thought it was a bad idea, all of them except Jacob. Sam ordered me to stay. I felt completely useless to my imprint bowing down to that fucker. I wasn’t able to protect my imprint. Alpha’s orders must be followed whether we like it or not. Now I’m stuck in the house with Paul guarding the house just in case. Sam’s expecting me to sit here while there’s a chance the love of my life could be in trouble. As if he wouldn’t go running if Emily needed him. It was complete bullshit, and I let him know that every chance I got.

I could hear Leah telling Paul she would take over for a while. She told him Sam needed him, and of course he went trotting off right away. The fact of the matter is if I had to be baby sat I would much rather had Paul here. Leah was the second to last person I wanted to see right now. I really haven’t said more than I had to after her comment at the beach about Kim.

As soon as I could no longer hear Paul I heard Leah almost ripping the door off the hinges as she swung it open and ran into the living room where I had been posted all day.

“Jared have you seen the news?”

“No, why?” Her face was filled with horror. This was a side of Leah I had never seen before, it was alarming.

Leah didn’t speak, but grabbed the remote from the table and turned it on. She began flipping through the channels until she got to a news station.”

The remote fell from her hand as she stared at the t.v. in horror.

“Leah what is going on?”

She grabbed my head and turned it to the t.v. “Look.” She screamed.

A lady with short brown hair was saying something about a plane hitting the World Trade Center in New York City. A part of me died inside as I watched a plane fly into the building. To make matters even worse they kept replaying the frightening scene over and over again.

“Why are you showing me this?” Deep down I knew why, but I was praying that just this once that gut feeling was wrong.

Leah looked away from the t.v. for the first time since she turned it on. I could tell she was fighting to find the right words. When she finally looked at me tears rolled down her face as she choked out “Kim was in that building.”

“NO, YOU’RE LYING!”

“Jared I know I’ve been a bitch, but I would not lie to you about something like this. I know how much you love her.”

“How do you know she was in the building?”

“Jacob was talking to her this morning. She told him she was there with her friend. Jacob was on the phone when the plane hit. After that the phone went dead. He hasn’t been able to get a hold of her since.”

Her words were cutting through me like knives. “Where is he, why didn’t he come and tell me?”

“He and Seth went to talk to Sam to ask him what to do. I was supposed to go with them, but I thought you deserved to know.”

Every second that went by could have been the crucial difference of life or death. How could Jacob have wasted that time going to talk to Sam? I jumped up and started taking off towards the door. Leah grabbed my arm.

“Where are you going?” She shouted.

“I’m going to find Kim.”

“You don’t even know if she’s alive.”

“I also don’t know if she’s dead, and I’m not going to sit around and wait. What did you really expect me to do with this information?”

She fell silent for a few minutes. “Be careful Jared.”

KIM’S P.O.V.

I was blinded by the ash, and smoke. I couldn’t hear anything over the shattering glass, or the crumbling of the buildings around us. I could only feel the hand on my shoulder that I assumed belonged to Shianne.

Suddenly everything fell eerily silent. I no longer heard the roar of the crashing building, no longer heard the screaming sirens of fire trucks, ambulances, or police cars, and no longer heard the desperate cry for help from the people that were gobbled up in the black cloud. Everything was clearing, or so I thought, but it could have been my mind playing tricks on me. That’s the last thing I remembered thinking about before I blacked out.

I was suddenly blinded, but it wasn’t the same as being blinded by the black cloud, this time I was blinded by a white-ish colored light. It was beautiful. Emerging from the light was a figure that I was not able to make out at first. As the figure drew closer I could make out the shape of a huge russet man with long jet black hair. He was huge, 100% muscle, but his face was soft, and his chocolate brown eyes that looked so familiar shimmered as he looked at me. He was now standing only inches in front of me. I had the urge to hug him as if I knew him, but I fought against it.

“It is not your time Kimmie. I need you to wake up. You have a greater purpose to fulfill.” The man spoke. His voice was velvety and soothing, and yet somewhat familiar.

“Who are you? What purpose?”

The man did not answer any of my questions. Instead he smiled and gently placed a kiss on my forehead.

“I need you to wake up. Jared needs you to wake up.”

A jolt shot through my body, dimming the once bright light.

Another jolt swept through my body making the light disappear and taking the man with it.
Air filled my lungs and my eyes shot open. I was staring up at a white ceiling and five people above me with masks covering their mouths.