The Shy Star

The Final Goodbye

Removing the photos that cover my wall I cant help but cry, these are the last memories I have with my mum and little brother this is all I have left of my home.

“Honey I’m going to start putting the cases in the car just put the boxes in the hall when your done.”

I nod and my uncle continues with a suitcase in either hand. Its going to be hard starting over, a new home, a new school and a whole new life especially when all I want to do is be with them.

I put all the photos in a shoe box and place it inside a bigger box, writing the word PERSONAL in a black marker I put tape along the seal and carried it out to the hall. Turning back around my room looked empty. Just four blue walls with a bed by the window and an empty closet opposite, everything else had already been packed into the van my uncle had hired to help with the move. I grabbed my guitar and notebook and wandered round the house that for the past 15 years had been my home.

Alex’s room once a mess with toys and clothes now seemed strange as boxes lined one wall of the room and the bed lay in the corner. I quickly left the room feeling the familiar sting of tears.

Further down the hall was the bedroom my mum occupied. Once again that too was empty as all the boxes had already been packed up and loaded in the van ready for me to sort out when I was ready. The smell of my mother lingered in this room and it gave me a sense of comfort as I walked over and sat on the bed. The mattress soft and inviting as I leaned back and let a few tears fall before swiping them away and standing up again. Picking up the guitar and notebook I walked out into the hall and like I had done with Alex’s room shut the door. My uncle and 2 of his friends had almost finished packing, my uncle called up to me letting me know it would soon be time to leave.

Walking down the staircase I did my final walk around the living area and kitchen before stepping out into the front garden. A few of my friends had offered to be here for me today but I told them not to bother, seeing them today and waving goodbye to everything I knew all at once would be too much for me to handle. I sighed and my uncle looked over at me with a small sympathetic smile on his face but not saying a word. I was starting to get used to that now, people not knowing what to say to me. Most people had just given their apologies and told me that they are here for me but other then that no one bothered because what was you meant to say to a girl who’s whole life had just been ripped from her. A girl who has lost all of her family and now has to leave everything she knows behind to start all over again. I don’t want sympathy or apologies, I want something can’t have. I want my family back!

I jumped in the front seat of my uncles car and waited for him to pack the last box in the van which his friend James and Jason would be driving. As I sat I couldn’t help but wonder what my new life would be like, don’t get me wrong I am thankful that my uncle is taking care of me but Sittingbourne has never really been all that exciting and I don’t know anyone there anyway. Somehow I got the feeling this summer was going to be long, boring and very lonely.