Status: Active, not sure of frequency of updates

Give 'Em Hell, Kid

Chapter Thirteen

I had sent a text to Ray, Frank and Aexia asking if they wanted to go to the mall with me and Mikey. I waited an hour for Lexi to get in touch before I admitted to myself that she was probably avoiding me. It was a blow to my ego and my pride. I had thought my actions would be enough to get onto her good side again, but obviously not judging by the lack of communication. Ray was the only one who got back in touch with me, making me suspicious as to whether Frank’s radio silence was connected with Lexi’s silence. I tried to tell my jealous mind that it was nothing but pure coincidence and absurd paranoia.

​​​Mikey was perky as always as he sat in the back seat, accepting his position as bottom of the pecking order when it came to shot gun. Ray was humming along to Morrissey as I drove into the city. I decided to park about a ten minute walk away from the Mall, pre-empting the full car park. Plus, there was a comic book store on the way to the mall that we could take a look at. I decided that I couldn’t do anything about the situation with Alexia at that moment so I may as well try to distract myself. I had parked in the dodgy part of town but I didn’t care. I had stopped being afraid a long time ago, plus with Ray beside me I knew nobody would be stupid enough to try and take us on. I was use to the dilapidated buildings and broken windows that made up the street. The businesses that were opened were all protected by bullet proof glass windows encased by steel bars, and metal gates on the doors which all had CCTV. There were numerous alleys along the street which further emphasised the creepy vibe.

​​​‘Dude, I can’t wait for the next X-Men, it’s gonna be awesome’ Mikey was excited; his love for comics was only matched by my own.

​​​‘What do you thinks’ going to happen?’ Ray asked, getting into the conversation.

​​​‘Well, I’d say-‘

​​​A loud male scream stopped us in our tracks. It came from the alley across the street from us, which was too shadowed for us to see clearly. I looked to Ray, debating whether to get involved or not. For all we knew, guns could be involved and growing up in Jersey taught us not to get involved in anything you couldn’t handle. We could hear the sound of someone getting beaten, pretty badly. I got my cell phone out, ready to call the cops when I heard a female shout mixed in with the male yelling ‘Stupid Bitch’. I handed my cell to Mikey.

​​​‘Call the cops. Me and Ray will check it out.’

​​​I started running over to the alley, Ray following me. We tried to be as quiet as possible, knowing that barging in without any idea of what we were up against was idiotic. I peered into the alley, not at all ready for the sight I was met with.

​​​Frank was on the ground, curled up in a foetal position with his hands and arms covering his face. Johnston was pounding on him without mercy, while another jock had Alexia pinned up against the wall. He was shaking his hand in the air, and I could see the blood dripping onto the ground. Before I could move another step the guy punched Lexi in the stomach full force, letting her fall to the ground on her knees as she gasped to regain some of the breath she had lost.

​​​‘Fucking bitch, I’ll make you regret that you fucking whore.’ He raged.

​​​I lost all coherent train of thought as I ran into the alley, jumping on the guy before he could see me coming. I got him to the ground before I started punching him. Ray had followed me in and ran over to Johnston, grabbing him by the shoulders and landing him a head butt square on the nose. If I had been fully aware of what was going on I would have warned him it was a bad move, as he swayed a little while Johnston stumbled, clutching his nose and letting out some cusses. The jock I was punching seemed to be knocked out, but the adrenaline was still coursing through me. I got up and walked over to Johnston, who landed a closed fist on my cheek the minute I was within reach. It was all I needed to give me the extra push, before I tackled him to the ground and landed a couple of punches of my own.

​​​I wrestled with Johnston on the ground, ignoring what was going on around me. Ray seemed to be checking Frank, who was unconscious. Alexia was kicking the shit out of the jock on the ground who was still groaning in pain but seemingly not able to defend himself. A felt a fist connect with my stomach, winding me and leaving me vulnerable as Johnston took advantage and stood up, landing kicks everywhere he could reach. The assault seemed to stop suddenly, and when I got my breath back I saw Alexia holding a broken bottle and Johnston out cold on the ground. Ray looked at Alexia with concern as she took in deep, heaving breaths. I stood up on shaky legs then leaned against the wall when they failed to support me properly. In the distance I could hear sirens, briefly wondering who would have called the cops. Then I remembered Mikey. I wanted to walk and find him but my legs were in no condition to help me. I could hear Alexia mumble to herself, something along the lines of ‘oh my God’ but my brain was too foggy to really try and figure it out.

​​​‘Jesus Christ, what the fuck?’

​​​Mikey’s voice rang out, the panic making his voice go high pitch.

​​​‘Mikey, get out of here. Go home, tell your parents what happened, okay?’ Ray ordered calmly.

​​​‘What, why?’ Mikey questioned.

​​​‘Cos the cops are going to arrest us stupid. There’re three guys unconscious on the ground, two because of us. Get going!’

​​​Mikey hesitated for a second, for running away clutching my cell phone.

​​​We didn’t have to wait too long before the cops came, along with Paramedics. I watched in a daze as they checked Frank, Johnston and his friend before putting them in the ambulance that was waiting. They gave us a quick once over to make sure we have no serious injuries before driving away. Once they were gone, a cop made his way over to me to question me.
I knew it looked bad. Three teenage boys were unconscious boys on the ground, and none of us looked half as bad as them. I explained what happened to the cop, but I could tell by the way his eyes narrowed at me he didn’t believe me, or he just didn’t like the look of me. Ray was talking to a female cop while Alexia was stammering her story to a young cop who looked like a rookie.

​​​‘Alright Gerard, just give me a moment’ the cop, who never told me his name, muttered before motioning for the other two to join him. They were deep in discussion for a few minutes before they walked back over to us.

​​​‘Alright, seeing as we have three unconscious boys and no witnesses to verify your story, we’re going to have to take you to the station to question you. Could you all turn around, please?’

​​​We all did what we were told, and were promptly handcuffed before being thrown into the back of the police car.