Status: Comment, Recommend, Subscribe!

Rush

This Big City Is Too Small

I couldn't believe it. Here I was in the middle of New York City! It has only been a dream of mine for my entire life. The bright lights, the tall buildings, and the large amount of people. It was all I ever wanted.

Finally! I could have a moment somewhere that I don't have to worry about who my next move is gonna be. I can just have fun and go with the flow! That's what I liked about this city. There are no worries! I was alone in New York City. To some, that may sound insane. To me, it was a dream.

My tour of the city began with Time Square. Somewhere I have always dreamed of going. It was exactly how I dreamed it would be. Standing in the middle of the everything that was going on. I felt limitless.

My next stop: 42nd street and Broadway. I swear, if none of this had ever happened with Jamie and I, broadway would be my dream. It still is my dream. But it's impossible now with Jamie constantly nagging me with focusing on the job we were supposed to be doing.
Don't do this! Don't do that! Be this person! Don't act like that! Be this! Be that!

God damnit! Can't I just do what I want? Apparently not anymore.
"Broadway tickets! Eighty bucks for front row last minute tickets!"
My eyes lit up and I turned my head sharply. Broadway tickets?!
Who says I can't do one thing that I want to do?

~~~~


I couldn't contain my excitement any longer. I searched the one place of all places that I knew I would find Jamie.

I was surrounded by so many business suits. This just was not my place to me. I looked so out of place. I looked over at a man who walked past me, accidentally bumping me in the shoulder. He didn't even stop to say sorry or anything. Why would Jamie want to target men like this?

Suddenly, I found her. I'd notice the bright red high heels anywhere. Only, Jamie wasn't alone. She was with an older man - a handsome man at that - with dark hair and blue eyes and a smile to die for. Who was this man?

Jamie already had him on a hook. I could tell by the way he looked at her. It was how every man looked at her when she wooed them. Jamie could get a man to fall in love with her in a second. It was such a shame that she wasn't into the whole 'love at first sight' thing because that's how every "relationship" of hers was. The guy would fall hopelessly head over heels for her and she would break their poor little hearts.

But this guy was different. Sure, he was lured in. But at the same time, he assumed the power. Unlike Jamie's previous relationships, where she was the dominant one. No, this man was going to be challenging. But that's what Jamie liked: challenge.

I watched the two say goodbye. Jamie ran her fingers along his chest, smiling at him. But he was hesitant. He kept looking around to see if their was anyone who was noticing him. Then I noticed the wedding ring on his left finger. Bingo. A challenge Jamie wants, a challenge she will get.

Then the man got into his car, sneaking in a sly butt grab. I rolled my eyes. I watched at Jamie stood there, watching as he car drove off and waving to him goodbye. That's when I made my way in.

"Reagan, what are you doing here?" Jamie looked at me shocked.

"Don't act surprised! But, um, speaking of surprises... I have a surprise!" I grinned giddily jumping up and down.

Her excitement certainly did not match mine. "What's the surprise?"

"I just got us two front row tickets to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway!" I nearly screamed. I reached into my bag grabbing the two tickets and pulled them out.

Jamie's eyes went wide. "What in the world? Reagan, are you stupid?!"

I was so hurt by that. "Excuse me?"

"That was our money, Reagan. You just went out and spent it like it was nothing?" Jamie shook head.

"No, no, no, Jamie, look. This is a Broadway show. A once in a lifetime opportunity!" I tried to explain.

"I get that, Reagan. I really do. But we don't have the money for once-in-a-lifetime oppurtunities!" She made air quotes around the words.

"Well maybe with that guys help, it will make up for it," I shrugged my shoulders. She knew I had a point there. "Please. You know you want to go, Jamie. Let me rephrase it for you. It's Phantom... On BROADWAY."

"Okay, okay!" She gave in, throwing her arms up. "Let's go. But promise me that this is the last time you make a big payment without asking me first."

I couldn't promise that, but if it made her happy, I would tell her I wouldn't! "I promise! Now let's go get ready!"

~~~~~


"I cannot believe we are here!" I squeaked excitedly, taking in all my surroundings. The stage, the people, the fancy outfits, the comfortable seats, and the lights! All of it I took in every chance I got. "Thank you, by the way, for letting me borrow this outfit. I don't have many dressy outfits like this." I looked down at the slim white dress I was wearing.

"You look sexy! Maybe tonight we can get some money," Jamie winked, nudging me in the shoulder.

I was disgusted though. I hated sleeping with men and then stealing their money while they slept. That was more of Jamie's thing. I've only done it if we were desperately in need of money fast. But right now, we don't, so I wasn't interested.

I wanted to escape this conversation. "I'm going to get us some wine. Do you want some wine? I'm going to go get some wine!" I jumped up from my seat and headed out into the front lobby.

It's not that I tried to avoid this conversation all the time, it's just that is all Jamie wanted to talk about! "Keep your eyes on the money" was her life motto it seemed.

I walked up to the bar, ordering two glasses of Chardonnay.
"ID?" The bartender asked. I reached into my small bag, finding my ID that read the name Hazel Grace and handed it to him. He inspected it nodding his head and handed it back to me. "Coming right up Miss Grace."

I returned a smile and waited at the bar while he fixed the drinks for me. I tuned in to a conversation right beside me.

"Look, how about you and I ditch the show and head to my place?" The guy said. I looked over and examined him. From the back side, he looked very clean cut and a somewhat handsome guy. But then again, he could have killed his cousin for all I know.

"Excuse me? I don't even know you that well," the girl was not into him.

"Well who says we still can't have fun as a couple strangers, huh?" How low was this guy going to stoop?

"I'm sorry but I'm not that easy," the girl rolled her eyes trying to look for a way to walk away.

"Hey, I'm not interested in having a relationship. I just want one night of fun," he shrugged his shoulders.

"Pig," I mumbled under my breath.

"Excuse me?" He turned around facing me. Was he talking to me? Don't make eye contact, Reagan! Do NOT make eye contact! "Are you calling me a pig?" I shrugged my shoulders not saying anything hoping he'd turn back around and just ignore me. He looked back over his shoulder noticing the girl he was speaking to just left. "Damnit!" He groaned.

"Two Chardonnays," the bartender handed to me.

"Thank you very much," I smiled turning to go hurry back to my seat. Maybe it was the excitement getting to me--or the fact that I can be a bit clumsy at times--but I managed to bump into the one man I hoped I'd never have to see again. I couldn't register exactly how it happened but one of my glasses of Chardonnay had tipped over spilling down his blue button up dress shirt.

"Are you kidding me right now?" He looked down trying to brush off the wine.

"I am so sorry!" I grabbed a few napkins off the counter of the bar and dabbed it on his chest trying to clean it up as best as I could but he grabbed my hands pushing them away.

"Do you know how expensive this shirt is?" He pointed.

I looked at it shaking my head. "Today is just not your day," I giggled referring to the girl that ditched him.

He laughed along and then turned his face back to serious. "That isn't funny." He rolled his eyes walking away from the bar, still trying to wipe off the wine.

I chased after him and grabbed his shoulder facing him towards me. "Hey! I said I was sorry."

"I don't care about your apology," he shook his head. "I have only known you for five minutes total and you have already ruined my day."

I rolled my eyes. He's blaming me for having a bad day? He did this all to himself. "Well, karma is a bitch, isn't it?"

He scoffed not making eye contact with me, "Yeah, but you're just a bitch."

I gasped. The first time I spilled my drink on him was an accident, the second time I spilled my drink on him, fortunately, was not. This time, I threw it right in his face. "Oops!" I shrugged my shoulders. "Looks like I spilled again!" A few people surrounding us were laughing at the sight.

He looked at me, completely revolted. "Do you know who I am?"

I shook my head. Was he really going to pull that card with me? "I don't care," I shrugged my shoulders and I leaned in closer to him. "And for the record, I didn't ruin your day. That was all you, buddy." I flashed him a friendly smile, patting his shoulder. But before I walked away, I added, "Oh, and I hope you enjoy the show!"

I made my way back to the seats to meet with Jamie again. I was somewhat proud that I stood up for myself like that. I was always the weak one and just when it came to things like that. But that felt great! I've only been here a day and New York has already changed me! I plopped down in my seat next to Jamie, grunting.

"Where is my Chardonnay?" Jamie asked, very confused.

"All over some guy," I smiled, hiding my annoyance.

"Woah, what? Who!? What happened?! Was he hot?!" Jamie attacked me with questions. I didn't know which one I should answer first!

"Slow down!" I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, okay. The main question: was he hot?" Jamie adjusted herself in her seat leaning towards me waiting to hear my answer.

I chuckled. Of course that was the main thing she wanted to know. I shrugged my shoulders unsure how to respond to that. I tried to remember his face. He was cute - very cute, actually - but his personality covered it all. He had dirty blonde hair that was styled back, blue eyes, and a nice smile. He was a tall guy and his face had a bit of a scruffiness to it as if he hasn't shaved for a couple days. "I don't know."

"What? Okay, let me decide that! Where is he?" She looked around sitting up tall in her seat trying to look around. "What's he wearing?"

I looked around scanning the entire crowd. Then I spotted him. "Over there! Third box to the left!" I pointed to our right at the theatre boxes they had. He was sitting with another man and woman - his parents is assume. He had just walked in the room because he was standing still wiping his shirt. How long is it going to take for him the realize that wiping it with his hands wasn't going to help? His father was yelling at him pointing at his shirt. From what I can see, his father wasn't the happiest person.

"Oh my god," Jamie mumbled underneath her breath. "You have got to be kidding me!"

"What do you mean?" I turned to her with a confused look on my face.

"Well your guy's dad is the guy that I just made out with this morning!" I turned my head again looking at him. Now that I think about it, he does look like the man I saw Jamie with earlier. I couldn't believe it! What are the odds? Jamie shook her head, "I don't believe it, he has a wife."

"Sounds like this is going to be interesting."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!! Please let us know what you think! We really want to know! :)

Love,
Madi and Lexi