Status: Comment, Recommend, Subscribe!

Rush

It's Only the Beginning

"And so I said, 'Listen, Joe, take the 26% or I'm walkin!" Sinclair's hearty laugh filled the room seeming to be amused with his own gloating. Dinner had been long and drawn out, full of business conversations and talk of money. Of course I had followed along to every word, not wanting to screw up this early in the mission. I wasn't sure how much more of this I could take for one night and surprisingly, I found myself missing the little dinky cardboard stif bed In the janky motel room.

His wife sat across from him at the too-large table in this too-fancy restaurant, smiling and praising her husband at his incredible negotiating success. Ugh. All of this fake bullshit is intoxicating.
I looked over at Reagan who looked ridiculously uncomfortable sitting across from Sinclair's son who I learned to be called Gabe. I nudged her side making her turn towards me, only to receive a look that read "I'm going to shoot myself in about ten seconds if we don't get the hell out of here."

"Spencer," Sinclair cleared his throat "Thank you for accompanying us out to dinner. I've really gotten to know you so much more and I know that I made the right choice hiring you. You both should join us back at the estate, get a feel for it before the contracts are finalized and you receive your living arrangements."

Reagan spluttered from her seat earning concerned glances from everyone at the table—well everyone except Gabe. He remained emotionless, amused almost at her reaction. I can already tell that getting them together isn't gonna be easy.

"Sinclair, you hadn't mentioned any living arrangements?" I squinted my eyes a bit, confusion heavily laced in my features. What the hell?
In a way, this is exactly what I was hoping would happen, but why was it all feeling so...wrong?

Mrs. Sinclair spoke up, "Oh darling, most of our staff works from our home and resides there in the meanwhile. It's a much more efficient process. As Charles' assistant you'll need to be at his side at all times. This is a 24/7 job, Ms. Fox, surely you've gone over your requirements at the interview before you were hired." She eyed me warily.

Shit. How was I supposed to go through any actual requirements when I was busy shoving my tongue down your husband's throat? Sinclair chose that exact moment to reach his hand under the table rubbing circles along my inner thigh. I straightened my dress out, purposely pinching his hand. He stiffed a cough, trying to hold back laughter because he knew damn what he did wrong.

I flashed a quick smile at her, "Of course, I can assure you Mrs. Sinclair that I am well qualified to handle this. I just, um, I can't leave my roommate. We've just recently moved down here together and she has no where else to go." I bit my lip feigning innocence sending a side glance to Reagan whose eyebrows were knotted in confusion.

"Leave her in the streets where trash belongs." Gabe sneered from across the table.

"Excuse me?!?" Reagan whipped her head around clutching her drink. The Jamie part of me wanted to laugh out loud because that seemed to be her weapon of choice tonight, but the 'Spencer' part of me knew to stay in character. I've always loved the spark of sass in my little sister, and I knew she wouldn't put up with his asshole comments for long.

"GABE, I've had it! Out. Now." Mrs. Sinclair ordered with a stern glare shooting toward the boy who only shrugged, getting up from the table and walking out.

"I'm sorry about that. I'm sure we can make something useful of your friend here, perhaps a maid..." She turned toward Sinclair who nodded approvingly.

"A maid....really? Excuse us a second." Reagan pulled me from the table and off to the restroom. She fumed in front of me and I had to start talking soon because I know she would just back out of this whole thing.

"Rea, listen. Okay. Shit. I know that it doesn't sound like a good plan right now, but I mean we're getting out of that shitty motel a lot sooner than we thought. And-and I mean we can think of an exact game plan once we settle down. I mean this could be it for us!" I shook her shoulders excitedly trying to earn some—any— kind of positive response out her.

"WE?! Jamie, what? Where is this we? Because the past couple days this has been all about YOU! This is what YOU want. New York was YOUR idea! And now what? You get to be a personal assistant, and what am I? Oh right, a freaking maid! Why do we have to do this?" Her eyes watered as she paced around the tiled floor.

No. She has to realize that I'm not being selfish in this. I'm doing this for us. It's always been for us. The running and stealing and just.... everything. I want to make sure our lives will be perfect in the future. After mom died, this was the only life I knew. And we've come too far to just give up right here. We've risked entirely way too much to just quit now.

My eyes burned with tears that I wouldn't let spill over. God forbid something happened and one of us had gotten arrestedat some point. What would have happen then? Psh, the hell if I know, but it would surely dig up a past that I had worked so hard to bury behind us.

"I-I'm sorry Reagan. I know this isn't how you wanted to live, but I swear this could be the last one! I just know—"

"No. Stop saying you know, Jamie because you don't. I hate this! I don't want to live this way Jamie! Always coming up with these plans and schemes to get by, and for what purpose?!" Tears spilling out of the corners of her eyes.

It absolutely breaks my heart to see me little sister this way. It's even worse knowing that I caused it. I pulled her to me kissing her forehead, "it's gonna go by before you know it, just please trust me." I whispered.
~~~

A few moments later we stepped out of the bathroom looking as normal as ever. Walking back up to the table, nothing seemed to have changed, Gabe's seat was still empty and Sinclair and his wife were sipping at their wine silently.

"So?" He prompted.

I looked over at Reagan who nodded slightly with sad eyes.

"Shall we head to the estate soon?" The corner of my mouth quirking up into a smile.

I'm sorry little sis, but this has only just begun
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, sorry for being MIA for a few month, writers block + dealing with the first quarter of senior year is a real bitch to deal with! I'll try updating as much as possible though!

(Sorry this chapter is complete shit)