Status: Comment, Recommend, Subscribe!

Rush

The Promotion

Reagan's POV

I couldn't believe Jamie would do this. I understand this was another step closer, but has she ever once thought of me? Has she ever asked for my opinion? No. She never does. Sometimes I feel like Jamie doesn't even think.

Is she clever? Yes. Is she smart? No.

Ever since that night at the fancy restaurant, Jamie and I have only spoken a few words to each other. It's been two weeks. Now we live with the Sinclair's. Which was just exactly what Jamie wanted.

Since I was the maid, my room was all the way in the back, right next to the kitchen. Jamie was lucky enough to be upstairs in a beautiful suite with a comfortable bed.

It was my first day on the job and I was up before anyone else. So I did my daily morning routine: showered, blow-dried my hair, brushed my teeth, and put on make up. Still in my pajamas, I decided to take a stroll around the house before anyone had woken up.

The house was beautiful, I had to admit. Each room had its own theme. For example, the living room was beach themed, and the dining room had a Victorian feel to it. I had wished it was my own home. I just get the pleasure of working in it.

I made my way upstairs where all the rooms were. I swear, there were more rooms than there were people. I counted at least 15 doors in one single hallway, and there were more downstairs and on the other side of the house. You could fit twenty families in this place.

But which door was the door that led to the bathroom? I would go downstairs, but it would take me ten minutes just to walk all the way back to my own bathroom. I scanned each door, carefully examining them. I wouldn't want to walk in on Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair. Or Mr. Sinclair and Jamie for that matter... Yuck.

I shook my head trying to erase the horrific thought. I decided to go with the door at the very end of the hallway. It made sense for the bathroom to be at the end. I opened the door quietly so I wouldn't wake up anybody in the hallway.

Uh oh. Wrong door.

The door I had opened definitely was not the bathroom. It was Gabe's room and I was shocked to see him up, with a towel wrapped around his waist. I didn't realize how long I was sitting there staring at him. His body was absolutely perfect. His chiseled chest and stomach were in perfect lining meeting down below his waist in a perfect "V" shape. His arms were toned and his skin looked smooth. It was only when he looked at me in shock when I stopped and shielded my eyes, "I'm sorry!" I whispered loudly.

"Get the fuck out of my room!" Gabe walked towards me. I fell backwards and he closed the door.

I stood there for a moment, still freaked out. His body. I've never seen anything more perfect. But him. He was just an asshole. No, I tell myself, I can't do this. His perfect body is a trap. I cannot fall for it.

I quickly made my way downstairs taking the ten minute walk all the way down to my own bathroom. I walked into my room looking at the black and white maids dress uniform laid out on the bed. It was hideous. How could I wear that? But as I looked at it more I started finding ways to make me want to wear it.

I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut the fabric making the dress shorter and the sleeves more styled. I put the dress on, rolling my sleeves up to my elbows, and then added a pair of black tights underneath. Then, the final touch, my white apron, which made the outfit a little more fitted around the waist. Finally, I looked presentable. As I walked out the door, I slipped on my favorite pair of black flats, then made my way towards the kitchen.

I noticed a note left on the counter with "Hazel Grace" written on the top of it. I picked it up. It read:

"Hazel Grace,

Good morning and happy first day of work! This morning, we would like for you to prepare breakfast for the Sinclair's: eggs, toast, sausage, bacon, orange juice, and coffee.

After you finish with that, please set up the dining room table for breakfast. After breakfast is finished, please clean up the table and continue the rest of your chores until the end of the day. Here are your list of daily chores:.."

I skipped to the very bottom past the long list of chores and noticed the name signed: Spencer Fox. Was she trying to make me more pissed at her?

"Never have I seen a maid look that sexy in this house before."

I turned around, not noticing anyone was in the room with me. Gabe was standing by the coffee maker in a suit and tie with his jacket on his arms. He was glancing at me admirably for a moment and then began to brew a pot of coffee.

"Well you just haven't had me as your maid, that's all." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Then again all the other maids were old and unattractive."

I rolled my eyes, still looking at the list of chores that needed to be done today.

He moved closer to me and stood across the counter. "You don't want to be here, do you?"

"Honestly?" I looked up at him and he waited for me to keep speaking. "No, I don't. I don't like it here. The only reason I'm here is because I have no other place to live." It was sad to admit, but it was true.

"Sucks for you. But I guess it's great for me," he shrugged his shoulders arrogantly.

"And why is that?" I knew I didn't want hear this.

"Because now I have someone to do everything I say," he started towards me again. "I don't even have to do anything anymore," he was now only a couple inches away from me. "You have to do everything I say now. You're below me," he looked down at me with an evil smirk on his face.

I scoffed once more, "Like I'll ever do anything for you."

"Oh," he added, "and if you even try to talk back or even spill wine on me for that matter, then you will be fired in an instant." He chuckled under his breath and walked back to the coffee maker. "Unless you want to end up on the streets? Because if you ask my opinion, I think that's where you belong."

"Are you really going to be this much of a prick just because I accidentally spilled wine on your precious collared shirt?" I scoffed.

"I'm all about first impressions. Hazel is your name, correct?" He asked me. I almost said no, but then quickly shook my head yes. "Hazel, you need to understand this: you work for me now. So you have to do everything I say, or else it's out on the streets. Got it?"

I sighed, rolling my eyes. "Got it."

"Now," he said with a smirk curving at the end of his lips. "Why don't you get me a cup of coffee."

I wanted talk back so bad. In fact, I wanted to make him the coffee and then throw it in his face. I walked over to where he stood before and grabbed the coffee cup right next to the coffee machine.

"Not that one," he said.

I turned my head slowly looking at him. Why wouldn't he want to use this cup? There was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

"That's my dad's cup," he grinned.

I opened the cabinet right above me and found more coffee cups. I grabbed one of them just putting my hand on it. I turned to meet his approving glance then brought it down to the counter. I poured the hot pot of coffee into the cup.

"Make sure to leave room for creamer."

I nodded my head in reply. I went into the refrigerator and spotted blue bottle of creamer at the top shelf. I grabbed it shutting the door and returned to coffee cup. I poured just enough in there for him and began to put the lid back on.

"Actually, could I have a little more?" He asked.

I groaned and poured just a tiny bit more in.

"That's perfect," he stepped up right in front of me looking down at me. Without breaking eye contact he grabbed the cup of coffee and took a sip. "Delicious," he smirked.

"No thank you?" I raised my eyebrow.

He began to walk backwards, still facing me. "Oh no. Why would I thank the help? You should be thanking me for giving you a job and a place to stay."

"You're an asshole," I muttered under my breath.

"Excuse me?" He craned his neck to the side.

"I said 'See you at breakfast'!"

He smirked and I noticed his eyes falling down and then back up again. Was he just checking me out? "I look forward to it, Hazel."

~~~~~~~~~

I had set the table up perfectly. It almost looked like a table set up you would see in Better Homes & Gardens magazine. You could say I was pretty proud of it. Everything was in the place that it needed to be.

"Perfect!" I heard Jamie's voice from behind me. "Hazel you set this up wonderfully."

I turned around to meet her gaze. I was not happy. "What did you just call me? Jamie, you have no right to call me that. Especially when we're-"

"Um, excuse me, Hazel, I don't know what you mean by Jamie. My name is obviously Spencer... Remember?" She looked at me with wide eyes and gestured her head to the hallway.

Mr. Sinclair walked right into the room, not acknowledging me at all, and sat down at the head of the table. "Spencer, come sit down right here next to me."

Jamie nodded with a smile and went over to sit in the seat right at his side. They started with a casual conversation. He placed his hand on her thigh while they spoke. I rolled my eyes and walked back into the kitchen to get the food ready.

By the time I came out, everyone was in their spot: on the opposite side of Mr. Sinclair was Mrs. Sinclair, and next to her was Gabe. I placed all the plates in front them, Gabe being the last. "Thank you, Hazel." He whispered.

Before I walked out, Mr. Sinclair spoke. "Hazel," I turned around. "Why don't you join us. Grab yourself a plate and sit next to Spencer."

I nodded my head and went back into the kitchen to grab a plate and then went back back into the dining room sitting next to Jamie. She turned to me flashing an apologetic smile. She knew how badly she fucked up this time.

I looked straight ahead and noticed Gabe was staring right at me. When I caught his eye, he looked back down to eat his food, chuckling to himself.

"So glad you could join us, Hazel." Mrs. Sinclair said with a slight smile on her face. It almost seemed forced.

I returned the smile and looked back down at my food. The silence was so loud in this room that I couldn't stand being in there. Not to mention, the annoying footsie game going on under the table between Jamie and Mr. Sinclair was getting on my nerves.

But Gabe broke the silence. "So, Dad, I have been working on those new development plans on the new building you were thinking of starting and I was wondering if-"

"Gabe, let's not talk about it here." Sinclair interrupted.

"But, they're for the corporation. I think you look at them. I have them right here." He reached down to the briefcase at his side.

"I said no, Gabe." He said a little more firm.

"Oh I get it. You just don't want to look at them, huh?" Gabe looked offended.

"Not now." He spoke through gritted teeth.

"Then when?" Gabe asked, looking him dead-straight in the eyes. Sinclair didn't reply. Instead, he just looked down at his plate, shaking his head in disapproval. "Of course." He forcefully pushed his chair out from the table and left the dining room.

"It's time that boy got an apartment of his own. God knows he has the money, too." Sinclair rolled his eyes and went back to eating his breakfast.

"He's seeking for your approval." I said. Jamie turned her head to look at me with her wide eyes. So did Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair.

"What Hazel meant to say was-"

"No, she's right." Mr. Sinclair said after Jamie tried to save my ass. "Hazel, since you're so in tune with the way my son thinks, why don't you assist him from now on. It'll make him feel more 'professional'."

"You think he needs my assistance?" I was very confused.

"Gabe could use it." He took a sip of his coffee.

"No! What he could use is a father who listens to him." Jamie kicked me from under the table. I flinched, but I wasn't going to back down.

Mr. Sinclair stood up from his seat. "I've just given you a new assignment Miss Grace. In fact, a much better one than this. If you refuse to take it then I guess I will have to redistribute you."

"Mr. Sinclair," Jamie stood up. "Hazel will take the job. She's just being difficult. Please don't put that against her." She looked at him with hopeful eyes. That's the thing about Jamie, she always knew how to convince someone.

Sinclair nodded. "Alright then. Hazel, go check on him. Do your job."

"Yes, sir." I nodded and scooted my chair away from the table. I left the room walking past the Sinclair's and Jamie, who knew she was going to get it later.

I walked upstairs and headed to the last room at the end of the hallway. I figured he would be in his room. That was the childish thing to do. I knocked on his door.

"Please go away."

Again, with the childish thing. I opened the door anyway and found him on his bed. He had one arm behind his head for support and the other with a remote in it flipping through to channels of his high definition flat screen nailed to the wall.

"Did you not listen to me?"

"I think you've found out that I'm not the type that likes to do what others tell me." I let myself in shutting the door behind me.

He sat up on his bed. "Ah, a rebel, huh?"

"Sort of," I shrugged. There was a moment of silence. "But I guess I'm going to have to start doing what you tell me to do now." Gabe looked at me with a confused face. "I've been appointed to your assistant."

Gabe shook his head giggling to himself. "No, I don't need an assistant. I don't need to be like my father."

"Well I could at least help you with some things. You do seem like you have a lot on your plate." I pointed out. I walked over to the small bench at the edge of his bed.

"Why do you all the sudden want to help me out?" He got up and sat down right next to me.

"Honestly?" I asked and he nodded. "I need to get the hell out of this outfit. I also kind of sympathize for you."

"You sympathize for me?" He laughed. "Why?"

"Because I don't know," I tried looking for the right thing to say. "You come off as an arrogant asshole who has absolutely everything, but in actuality, you really don't have that much."

Gabe looked at me really taking that in. He let out a deep breath and nodded his head. "Well, there you've got it."

"I don't mean that in a bad way."

"No, I know," he nodded looking down at the ground.

For a moment, I saw a really good side of Gabe. The real side of him. He hides behind this asshole facade because he's afraid of showing who he really is. And the real side of him was really attractive. But there was no way I was admitting that anytime soon.

"Well let's get going," he stood up and fixed his tie.

"Where?" I asked confused.

"Work." He grabbed his briefcase and headed for the door. I stood up following him. When we walked into the hallway, he turned around abruptly making us only a few inches apart. "And as much as I love this sexy maid outfit, you're going to have to change into something a little more business formal." He winked and started walking again. When we reached the bottom of the staircase he turned again. "I'll be waiting in the car."

I nodded my head and walked back towards the kitchen and into my room. I started by taking off my hideous outfit and checked my closet for any business-like outfits. I found a black skirt and a maroon colored top. I took of my black tights and put black pumps on and then the outfit. I wasn't going to lie, I looked good. Then I pulled half of my brown hair up so I looked very professional.

"You look great!" I turned around, shocked that someone had come into my room.

"Jamie? What are you doing?" I rolled my eyes.

"I'm coming in to check on my little sister!" She sat down on my squeaky bed with a cheesy smile on her face.

"How could you do this to me? I want this to end now." I demanded.

"Reagan, this one is different. I know it and you know it. So, we have to stick with it." She reassured me.

"No! I can't deal with this. We are always equal. This time, you're getting more than I'm getting and it's not fair."

"I don't know about that," she giggled.

"What do you mean?" I turned and looked at her with serious eyes.

"You need to change your relationship with Gabe."

"I need to? Why is that? So I can be like you?" I laughed and started looking for my purse.

"Well... Yes. And also so he will pay you more. And not to mention he will trust you."

"I don't get it." I shrugged my shoulders and sat next to her. "You want me to sleep with Gabe and build a more intimate relationship so that he will trust me more so then I can completely deceive him so he won't it was me who stole all his money?"

"Exactly! You need to start tonight!" She informed me.

"Woah, what? I barely even know him and you want me to hook up with him in less than 24 hours?"

"Well you don't have to do it tonight, but soon." She shrugged.

"I don't know, Jamie. Gabe is a little different. He is dealing with so much right now with his dad and everything, I don't think he wants any kind of relationship right now." I told her honestly.

"Oh, don't tell me you have feelings for him," Jamie laughed.

"God, no! I can't stand him." It wasn't a complete lie. I did think he was the most irritating person I've ever met. But I did have some sort of feelings for him. Especially after seeing what he was really like.

"Good!" She said relieved. "because if you did, this would be very difficult for you." All the sudden there was a buzzing sound from her purse. She pulled out a shiny black iPhone and checked the message. She giggled to herself. "I've gotta run. I'll see you later!"

"You have an iPhone now? How did you get that?" I scoffed.

"Charlie got it for me."

"Ew, you're calling him Charlie now? That's disgusting."

"Oh come on, Reagan. It's a nickname. I've gotta go though. Remember what we talked about!" She kissed my cheek and left the room.

"Well shit." I thought out loud. "I'm in for it."

I tried erasing it from my mind. I grabbed my purse and headed out the door. I walked past the kitchen, the dining room, and the living room and walked outside to the front. I saw Jamie getting into the back of a car with Mr. Sinclair in it. The car took off and I could already see their silhouette's from the back windshield making out. Gross.

I noticed a second car pull up and the driver stepped out. He was in a nice suit black suit. He smiled at me and opened the back door. Inside, was Gabe looking at me. He looked at me up and down with a slight smirk on his face. He was checking me out again like he did this morning. I returned the favor by checking him out as well. He cleaned up very well. I stepped into the car and sat down next to him. The driver shut the door behind me.

"And I thought the maid outfit was sexy." He looked at me up and down once more. "You look good in business clothes."

"You're not so bad yourself," I winked.

My flirting made him more interested and he scooted towards me. "So," he smiled. "Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the lateness!! Here is the new chapter. I hope you enjoy :)
- Madi