Status: 1/2

Memories

1/2

Jordan sat at the Toronto Blue Jays game with his friends. They had decided to take a boys’ trip for the weekend and that was the unfortunate place they chose. It wasn’t that Jordan didn’t like Toronto, he just knew some people living there and wasn’t too fond of them. He knew that the likelihood of running into those said people was slim with it being a big city and all, but the fear was still present.

“Hey Ebs, you okay?” his friend Josh asked.

“Gunna go grab another beer,” he stated before all the guys chimed in to get them one too.

He sighed as he made his way to the concourse to grab another round. His friends had been around for years, there wasn’t a single thing he wouldn’t do for them, and vice versa. He knew his worrisome side was coming on when it was supposed to be a fun, carefree weekend, but he couldn’t help it. The boys didn’t know why this place was “special” to him and he wasn’t going to share that either.

”Jordan Eberle?” a girly voice rang through Jordan’s ears.

He turned and saw a semi familiar face smile at him, “Well, well. It’s been years,” she hugged him.

He remembered the smile more than the actual face. However, that smile had donned a pair of braces the last time he had seen it, “Megan?” he asked.

“Good to know Regina’s own still remembers the kids who were there before he was a big NHL star,” she squeezed his arm.

“God Meg, how are you?” he gushed as he took in the old friend from back home.

“Good,” she nodded, “Pretty good. I’d ask you, but I think we all know the answer to that,” she
winked at him.

He nodded, “The NHL has its perks.”

“I bet it does,” she stepped closer to him but only because someone had shoved her from behind as they walked by in the crowded bar, “How’s the team looking? Think you’ll beat the Leafs tomorrow
night?”

He revealed his gap toothed smile to her, “Hope so.”

She shook her head, “Nah, we’re pretty good this season.”

Jordan chuckled, “You want a drink?” he asked out of the blue, without thinking.

“Sure,” she agreed, “But I’m buying, can’t get the rumors started that I’m some puck bunny.”

There would be no rumors, not if he could help it. If it was up to him, he’d keep her hidden from the entire bar just to keep her to himself. Megan had always been the one who got away, the one that he only had for a short time and would never know what could have been. Yeah, he had a girlfriend now, a serious one who was great and he loved her with everything he had, but that didn’t stop the questions in his mind.

“So, what are you doing in Toronto?” he asked.

“Work,” she played with the straw in her drink, “I work at an attorney’s office as an intern. Plan on law school in the fall or spring. It took me a couple extra years to graduate with my undergrad, so I might take a little time off.”

Shit, he knew Megan was smart, but law school…he didn’t know he knew people who were law school smart.

“That’s great!” he smiled, “You were always the smart one.”

“I was, wasn’t I?” she mused, “Except when it came to boys, I was dumb.”

“Not all the time,” he put his hand over his heart, only half faking the hurt he felt.

She shoved his shoulder, “Okay, you might have been the exception to the rule.”

“Thought so,” he gave her a cocky smirk, “How about now, are you still stupid when it comes to us guys?”

She motioned behind her with a jerk of her thumb, “What do you think?”

He followed her thumb and saw some giant of a man talking with a group of people. He was tall, muscular, and blond, “The blond guy?”

She nodded, “The meat head.”

Jordan laughed, “Not much has changed, has it?” he joked.

“Hey, you weren’t a meat head.”

“I’m still not a meat head.”

“Good, I bet that girlfriend of yours likes that,’ she winked at him.

“Lauren does,” he looked at his feet, feeling bad that his girlfriend was brought into a conversation that she wasn’t present for.

“She’s pretty,” Megan smiled, “Seems sweet too from what everyone’s told me. Good job Eberle.”

“Yeah, thanks,” he scratched the back of hi sneck.

She looked around the bar, “I should get back to my friends.”

For some reason Jordan latched onto her wrist, “You want to go somewhere and catch up?” he asked.

She looked conflicted but nodded as he watched her grab her jacket and kiss her boyfriend on the cheek. He had no bad intentions that night, just wanted a familiar, friendly face rather than the faces of his teammates drunk off their asses and bitching about their wives or the season.