Nightingale

"be with me again"

Two months earlier

John stood up after he set down his glass of wine on the coffee table. He gave me a tired smile and murmured how exhausted he was. He began to put his leather jacket back on and reach for his things. Part of me didn't want him to leave.

"You can stay, John... on the couch, I mean. It's late and you've been drinking. And besides, I'm sure Ellie would love it if you were here when she woke up," I told him. "I have some of your things in the back of my closet. I can get them for you."

I could tell he thought about fighting it for a moment, saying that he should just go to his home, but he knew I wouldn't let him leave, especially since he had been drinking. He knew how strongly I felt about drinking and driving, because that how was how I lost my best friend just a year prior in a terrible accident.

John followed me to our old bedroom, which was mine and Joel's now. He walked towards the closet as well, watching as I rummaged through the closet we used to share. I grinned in success as I pulled two articles of clothing out, a pair of his shorts and an old shirt of his.

I put the clothes on my bed and turned around so John could change. Even though I had seen it all, several times before, I still felt as though I should turn around.

I underestimated the time it took him to change and I turned around before the shirt was on. My eyes landed on a tattoo that was on his back in between his shoulder blades. It was just two names. One was on top of the other and they were written in John's handwriting. The top one said Savannah Renee O'Callaghan and below my name, it was Noella Sparrow O'Callaghan.

"John," I murmured. He turned around and he must've realized that I saw the tattoo on his back. "When did you get that?"

He shrugged. "I think a year after you left me."

"Why?" I asked, stepping towards him. I motioned for him to turn around so I could see it again. "I understand why you have Ellie's name, but why mine? How does Lennon feel about that? Weren't you two kind of seeing each other at that time?"

I fingered the tattoo slowly. I could still feel the slight bumps of the ink beneath his skin. "You're the mother of my daughter, you were my first love. And she doesn't like it, but there's nothing she can do about it."

"John," I let out a breath. "Can I show you something?" He turned around and nodded.

Pursing my lips together, I turned slightly and began to lift up my shirt. I moved my bra up and showed him the tattoo that was there. It was in infinity sign but the top left loop had JCOCV incorporated in it and the bottom right loop had NSOC incorporated into that.

"I got it about a year after I left you," I admitted. He smiled at me and touched the tattoo. I could feel goosebumps on my skin. His touch was still so familiar, yet foreign at the same time.

I leaned into his hand and let out another breath. "I guess we... never really got over each other in that first year," he murmured.

"Why did you put O'Callaghan and not Michaels? We never got married, John," I asked him.

He stepped closer to me. "I always wished you were my wife."

I wasn't sure how it happened, but it did. One minute we were just standing there, and the next, we were on my bed and John's lips were on mine. He was kissing me, just like he used to. That was what changed my life.

~

"Momma, why are we at Uncle Tim's house?" Ellie asked as she adjusted herself in my arms.

I kissed her nose. "It's Daddy's birthday, remember, baby? All our friends are celebrating here today at his pool, that's why we have your swimmers. Aren't you excited?"

She began to cheer as Joel opened the front door to Tim's. He wasn't exactly extremely happy to be celebrating John's birthday, but he was happy enough to see everyone again since he was back from tour.

Together, we all went to the backyard where everyone was. The back door shut behind us pretty loudly due to the wind, which caught a lot of attention. As soon as those boys saw Ellie, they all raced out of the pool over to her. They were a group of big bearded, tattooed musicians, but they sure did adore Ellie with all their heart. She loved the attention, so she wasn't complaining as they loved on her.

John walked over slowly and walked up to us. I gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Happy birthday, John."

"Thanks Sav. Hey man," he said to Joel, giving him a guy hug. "I'm happy you guys came. Where's my little princess?"

I nodded to the feast of boys that were watching as she modeled her little pink one piece swim suit and her floaties to them. "She's a heart breaker already," I joked.

"Yeah right. Ellie isn't allowed to date until she's forty seven," Joel said, but then paused. He glanced at John, who had a stone expression for a moment, but then his face softened.

"Yeah, that's for sure," he smiled.

Joel ran his hand up and down my back, which I knew was a nervous habit for him. He knew that what he said wasn't exactly his place to say, especially around John, since he wasn't Ellie's father. I could tell it bothered John, but he didn't say anything.

"Noella Sparrow O'Callaghan, come give your daddy a hug and a kiss and tell him happy birthday like you did on the phone this morning," I called over to her in an attempt to shift the mood.

She looked up and grinned before running over to John. He picked her up and kissed her as she told him happy birthday.

Joel looked at me, his face slightly pink. "I'm so stupid," he muttered.

"No, honey," I laughed. "It's fine."

"He didn't look too please, baby. I know he doesn't like that I'm around Ellie so much because he's scared she'll think of me as a father figure."

I touched his face while leaning up to kiss him. "It's fine, Joel. And besides, you're right. Ellie isn't allowed to date until she's forty seven."

He grinned while leaning down to kiss me. "I love you, Savannah Renee."

"I love you more, Joel David."

Leaning down, he kissed me again. His hands tickled my sides, which made me giggled. With a smile, Joel kissed my cheek next. As I turned my head, my eyes met John's, who was giving me a sad smile as he held Ellie close to him.

~

I let out a deep breath as I collapsed on top of the blankets of the bed. My head fell into the pillow while I tried my hardest to catch my breath. My body was on fire, but in the best way possible. My heart was racing and my skin felt too hot. There was sweat all over my body and my hair was a tangled mess, but I did not have any cares about that at all.

"That was... oh my gosh," I said, barely able to speak.

Next to me, John was trying to catch his breath as well. "Best... birthday... ever," he said slowly. I could see his chest rising as he took deep breaths.

"God, John, what was that?"

He turned so he was facing me. There was a smile on his face as he reached to touch my body again. "Figured I'd try something new for you, baby."

John leaned down to kiss me, his body hovering over mine again. "No, no, not again, John. I've been gone for two hours, I need to leave. Joel is definitely going to wonder where I've been when I said I was just dropping off Ellie's things to spend the night."

"Say she wanted to play," he murmured, dropping his lips to my neck. "We can play, it's not a full lie."

I pushed back and laughed. "Happy birthday, John."

We stood up from the bed and I began to dress. It was hard to not just put on whatever clothes I saw first, which was what I usually did. I had to double check everything to make sure it was mine and not John's or even Lennon's. John put on a pair of shorts and we walked out of the bedroom. Ellie was asleep in her room at the time, which we were thankful for.

"She sure loves her naps, but like her mom," John joked as he leaned over to kiss me.

Instead of waking Ellie, I told John to remind her to call me before she goes to bed and that I love her. At the front door to his apartment, John leaned down again while placing his hands on my waist.

"Stay," he murmured softly. "Just stay, baby. Stay with me."

"Joel is waiting for me, John, I have to-"

"Forever, Savannah. I love you and I know you love me. Leave Joel, be with me again."

Instead of replying, I just frowned. "I need to go, John."

He gently put his hands on my cheeks. "Think about it, Sav. You know I'll wait for you forever, but please don't make me."