Nightingale

"fine, i'll try it!"

"This is so great, we haven't done this is way too long," Jared murmured as we pulled up to the lake. He parked the van and I looked out the window, seeing the two other vans park next to us.

We had all planned a last minute lake trip, deciding to go for the day. There was a night at Tim's where someone mentioned we hadn't gone to the lake recently and we all started talking about how we had been so busy. It was decided on a lake trip. Anyone who had to work had to call in sick and anyone with kids had to get a babysitter. While we all loved the kids, it was nice to get away without them. Jenny and Jay were more than happy to take Ellie for the day again, since they usually didn't see her much.

We got so many people together, that it took the three tour vans to be able to handle us all. In the first van, it was me, Jared, Kennedy, Joel, Nick Santino, Austin Gibbs, John and Stephen Gomez, Brian Dales (all three from The Summer Set), and Eric, who had been in town for the weekend since he moved to Los Angeles. In the second van was Tim, Max, Pat, John, Tessa (Jared's girlfriend), the last two members of The Summer Set Josh and Jess, Garrett and his girlfriend Falyn, and Jimmy. The third van had Tim's girlfriend Ashley, Lex and Loren Brinton, Peter, Vito, Matt, Justin Richards, and a couple of the new girlfriends whose names I couldn't remember, along with the last of Joel's band. John was driving the van with the trailer attached that had more than enough coolers full of beer and anything lake oriented that we could use. To say that we were all excited would be an understatement.

"Alright, let's unload and get our asses into that lake!" Eric cheered. We all cheered as well and exited our van. Our hoard of people made it to the trailer and we all grabbed as much as we could so we could hopefully unload in one trip, which we were able to do easily.

The girls were carrying the lighter objects while the guys got the beer and heavier things. Max had a boat on the lake, but we all wouldn't fit, so we were going to go out on it in groups at a time. After we set up all our stuff, the first group started loading up. I knew I wasn't going first, so I took a lawn chair and relaxed with a beer.

"How long has it been since you've been able to do this, Sav?" Tessa asked as she set up a chair next to mine.

Shrugging, I grinned and took a sip of my beer. "Entirely too long. I mean, I love my daughter and wouldn't trade her for the world, but it's so nice to have a day off and just relax with my friends and beer."

She nodded slowly and I saw her glance at Jared, who was laughing at something Garrett was doing. "How are you and Joel? I saw his face when John said Lennon wouldn't be able to come. Is he worried about you and John maybe reconnecting? Jared said something about you two hanging out a little more than usual."

I rolled my eyes, not at Tessa, but at the situation. Everyone in the group had definitely noticed Joel's uneasiness when John said Lennon wasn't able to go. "Joel is just concerned about the fact that I have a daughter with John, which means we have a connection that Joel doesn't have with me. He doesn't like that and yes, I've been with John more, but Ellie is getting older, you know? We don't want her to think that we hate each other. She's so much smarter than most kids her age and she notices these things." I tried my best to cover for mine and John's affair, but Tessa was smart, just like Jared. I could tell it was only a matter of time before they put two and two together.

Joel, who was across the way, waved for my attention. "Hey babe, we're gonna go out on the water," he motioned to himself, Sean, Alex, Garrett, and Falyn. "Want to come?"

I glanced at Tessa, then at Jared, who was busy doing something with John, Kennedy, Nick, and Eric. She wasn't as close with everyone else and I didn't want to leave her alone. I shook my head and said I would stay here.

Joel jogged over to me, leaning over my lawn chair. "You sure, baby?" he asked. I nodded and smiled at him. "Okay, well I'm dragging your cute butt out there later, alright?"

"Okay, sweetheart, I just want to relax for a little bit first. Go, have fun."

He smiled and leaned down to kiss me. "I love you," he murmured.

I kissed him again and told him I loved him, too, then watched as he jogged back over to the group and headed into the water.

"He's crazy about you," Tessa said. "And he loves Ellie, too, like she were his own."

I agreed, then pointed to the Pat, Tim, and Ashley, who were waving Tessa over. She said she'd be right back, then she went to them. It only took seconds for her spot to be filled, and Peter was sitting there with a smile.

"Hey little girl," he smiled. "How's my favorite mom?"

Laughing, I held up my beer. "I'm great, what about you, Pete?"

He grinned. "I'm great. What about my favorite girl? How's she? She's with Jenny, right?"

Nodding, I glanced at John, who was looking right at me. "Yeah, she's great. You're stealing her heart already, though. She loves the hell outta you and always asks when Uncle Pete is coming over. You'll have to stop by soon to see her."

Everyone fell into easy relaxation. We all settled with beers and a couple guitars were brought out and songs were sung. The water felt amazing, which I was dragged into more than once. It felt nice to just relax and not worry about John or Joel or Lennon or Ellie. I was with my friends and that was more than good enough for me.

My phone rang after a few hours of being there. It was Jenny and she said that Ellie just wanted to talk to me and John. I called him over and we walked off to the side together.

"Hey baby girl, how is it at Grandma's?" I asked.

She told me about how they went to the pool and she remembered to put on sunscreen and didn't get sunburned, which she was happy about because she often got sunburned. Instead of getting John's skin, which tans easily, she got mine, which burns even easier.

John spoke to her for a little bit and we said goodbye to her, then walked back to the group. Joel was back from the boat, and he had questioning eyes.

"Where uh, did you guys go?" His voice was accusative, but I could tell he tried to hide it.

I held up my phone. "Ellie wanted to talk to us. She said she misses you."

When I bent down to put my phone in my bag, Joel tugged on my waist, pulling me into his lap. I giggled and kissed him while wrapping my arms around his neck.

Nick stood up from his chair and went to grab a guitar. "I want to play a new song for you guys. It's inspired by all of you guys and it's called Long Way Home. John helped me with it. So be honest and tell me what you think."

"The FM plays, nothing I know, as I'm driving down this open road. See, all these numbers, yeah I've counted them before, I got a long way back home, a long way home. And all I'm hearing on the radio is... la da da da da da da da da..."

John began to sing along and when that chant came around the second time, everyone was singing and clapping as well. I could see why everyone related to it so well, since they were all touring boys. When it was over, everyone clapped and cheered. Nick grinned while strumming something different, which was an old Rocket song.

"Hey Sav, come drive the boat!" Max shouted, waving me over. I made a face at him like he was crazy and shook my head. "Oh come on! You did great last time!"

John jolted out in laughter, which made me roll my eyes. "Max, she almost drove the boat into the buoy!" he laughed. I sighed and stood up.

"Fine, I'll try it!"

John stood up, saying that he had to see this. Joel came along, as well as Eric, Garrett, Falyn, Peter, and John Gomez, since they were all the ones there when I drove it last time, except for Joel. I had been dating John at the time when I almost killed us all, so I knew it would be a little weird.

We piled onto the boat and Max got us out into the middle of the water. I took over the driving spot and let out a breath.

"You got it girl," Max said. "John, make sure she doesn't kill us while I grab a beer."

Max walked down to the other end of the boat and John walked next to me. I pushed lightly on the handle, which made the boat move slowly. A wave came, which made me jerk the lever and the boat lunged forward. I let out a yelp and John slowly helped me lower the lever.

"Whoa, baby, be careful," John said. I pulled my hand back quickly and froze. John seemed to freeze also as he realized what he said. "Uh Savannah, I meant... Sorry..."

We both glanced at everyone on the boat. No one seemed to notice or hear, except Joel, which was just my luck. I gave him a look and just in time, Max walked over. He was laughing and sat down next to me on the bench.

"Let me take back over, you can try again when it's not so windy," he teased.

Rolling my eyes, I stood up and walked over to where Joel was sitting. "I have no idea," I told him quietly, but was barely able to get it out as John appeared next to us.

He held his hands up. "I'm so sorry, man, I don't know why I said that. I guess it was because last time Sav was driving the boat, we were together and it's a memory on this boat and it just slipped out. I'm sorry Joel... Savannah."

Joel shrugged. "It's fine, I understand. Let's just uh, not let it happen again, alright?"

The tension was a little raised as Joel stood up to go talk to Garrett and Falyn. John sighed and went to Max, while I walked over to John Gomez.

He was grinning at me. "Almost killing me again, Savannah," he teased.

I rolled my eyes and leaned against the rail next to him. "How are you, John?" I asked.

Smiling, he nodded. "I'm alright. Better than I have been, but not as good as I could be. Can I ask you something?" I told him of course he could. He leaned in close to me and spoke softly. "How long have you been sleeping with John O' again?"

My eyes widened as I looked around the boat to make sure no one heard. "What the hell are you talking about?" I asked.

He smirked at me, shaking his head. "I'm not going to tell anyone."

"How did you find out?"

John took a sip of his beer and thought for a moment. "I kind of put it together myself. Little things here and there. At Tim's birthday, his hand lingered on your back a little too long. At Lex and Loren's for Arrow's birthday, the one Joel couldn't make it to, you and John shared a drink. You two haven't done that since you were together. John's photo he posted, only a small hint. And at the Labor Day party, I might've accidentally got our phones confused and picked up yours on accident and saw a text from John that said to come over after and he loves you."

"You've known since Labor Day and didn't day anything since then?" I asked.

Shrugging again, John nodded. "I wanted to be sure. And John's little accident of just calling you baby made me sure. Your secret is safe with me, Sav, but just figure out what you want." Letting out a deep breath, I glanced out on the water, then at John, and then Joel. "You have no idea, do you?"

I shook my head. "Not in the slightest, John. I mean... Joel is good to me. He loves me and he treats Ellie so well. And I love him... I love him a lot. But John is..."

"John," he finished. "He's your first love, the father of your child. Listen honey, I don't really know Joel that well, but he's good for you. We can all see that. We see a happiness that we didn't see when you were with John O'. Joel will never hurt you or Ellie. And John has... He broke your heart. I remember it vividly because you and El spent a week at my place with me. But he's not a bad guy, we all know that. We all know John and how much he cares for you and your child. Just be careful. Tread lightly. And no matter what, I'll be here for you. Keep that in mind, girl."

Reaching forward, I pulled him into a hug. John Gomez was one of the sweetest boys I had ever met. He was truly wonderful and had a pure and kind heart. All of these boys did. They were amazing friends and I didn't deserve a single one of them.

Max let me drive the boat again when the wind settled and I did much better. No one feared their life during that time, which they were all very pleased about. I even got to park and dock the boat, which I did very, very slowly and carefully with step by step assistance from Max.

"Damn girl, I thought you were going to drive up on the grass," Eric teased, which made me roll my eyes and shove his shoulder. "You know, I really want you and Ellie to come visit me in Los Angeles. She would love the city."

My head nodded in the direction of the two boys to my left who were both grabbing a beer. "You'll have to talk it up with them. I'm down for it, but you'll have to ask Joel if I can go and John if I can take his daughter."

"Since when does Savannah Renee O'Callaghan let other men boss her around? Besides me, of course," Eric grinned.

I barked out a laugh and rolled my eyes. "First of all, I don't take orders from you, Halvo, and second, my last name isn't O'Callaghan, we were never married."

"You two might of well have been and hey, grab me a beer," he nodded at the cooler.

After I reached for it, I jumped back and glared at him. "Nice job, Halv, I won't fall for that trick again, you don't boss me around, get your own damn beer."

He blew me a fake kiss and got his own beer.

In the distance, the sun was started to set and I grinned to myself while looking at it. Joel called me over and I sat on his lap while watching Kennedy start the fire. We all sat around in the lawn chairs in a circle around the flame. Nick, Jared, and John all had guitars resting on their laps while trying to pick a song to play.

Jared stopped and looked at everyone. "Wait, I got one," he said. He began strumming and a smile rested on everyone's face.

John and Nick followed along before John's voice erupted over us. "Well I won't back down... No I won't back down. You can stand me up at the gates of Hell, but I won't back down. Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around. And I'll keep this world from dragging me down. Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down."

Nick joined in ours try the chorus. "Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out. Hey I will stand my ground. And I won't back down."

As I watched John sing, I couldn't help but smile. He was truly talented. "Well I know what's right. I got just one life, in a world that keeps on pushing me around, gonna stand my ground and I won't back down."

For the rest of the song, we all joined in and finished it off together, even the ones of us that couldn't sing worth a damn. "Hey baby there isn't no easy way out, hey I will stand my ground. And I won't back down. Hey baby there ain't no easy way out. Hey I will stand my ground and I won't back down."

This trip was just what I needed. It was a perfect relaxed day. With these people around me that I loved dearly, nothing else mattered and I was more than happy about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to do a little bit of a more relaxed chapter that shows how they interact with their friends. Enjoy!