Forever Alone

ONE

A green blanket covered half of his face, stopping underneath his eyes. He lay on the sagging couch, staring up at the smoke-scarred ceiling. The TV was on, but barely audible.

"AJ, I swear, I promise that I will be forever single. I swear that I will remain single. Put it in the history books, because I promise." Hugo mumbled through the blanket.

"That's hard to promise, Hugo," I replied, leafing through an old magazine. "It's not one you can keep, as well. I don't believe you." I flipped through the magazine gazing over the bright headings and ads.

"No, I really promise," he said, pushing his horn-rimmed glasses up his nose. "Natasha was the last."

"Yeah, as if anyone would fancy you!" I laughed, while Hugo shot me a sharp look.

Hugo had met Natasha in the last year of high school, and they had been best friends since the day they met. On Valentine's Day Hugo shyly asked Natasha if she would be his girlfriend, and Natasha smiled and said yes, claiming she had always loved her. They had dated for three years, Hugo (being the nerd he was) acted as a total gentleman, and Natasha was sweet and kind. They had been the cutest and best couple in the history of couples, until one day when Hugo walked into his bedroom (she had moved in for a few months now) and saw her making out with some bartender at the bar they had visited on New Year's Eve, and Natasha didn't even seem sorry. He saw them pashing on the park bench a few days later, and he had been in a bad way ever since. He had really thought he had found 'the one', but I (being the selfish loser I am) had always seen it coming. His previous girlfriend wasn't as harsh, but she threw him away like a wet paper towel and moved onto some high school jock.

"C'mon, let's go somewhere. I'm getting bored and you're getting boring." I said, reaching for his hand, but it snapped onto his side.

"No way, lay-day! It's one three o'clock in the morning, and I'm tired," he moaned, covering his face with his hands.

"Okay, I'll see you at three in the afternoon," I said, seeing a perfect place he could go to. I grabbed my bag and rushed out. "Oh, and clean this place up, mum's coming on Friday." I added, tossing the magazine on the crusty carpet. I set his alarm for three, and evacuated the apartment block. I couldn't wait to see the look his face.

Image