‹ Prequel: Lost, Then Found

My Forever Girl

Prologue

Naira’s P.O.V.

My problems, or should I say my curse all started the day I turned 16.
I had always been drawn to Embry as far back as I can remember. When I was little I looked at him as a big brother figure. Being the only child, he was all I had. He never minded playing Barbie’s with me. I remember when he even let me paint his nails a hot pink, and put dark red lip stick on him. He wouldn’t fit into any of mommies’ dresses, so we had to pretend. I told him he was the prettiest girl in La Push besides me. Uncle Paul, Uncle Jake, and daddy made fun of him. That was the last time I did that, not that Embry would have objected to it, but I didn’t want people to make fun of him again.

When I turned 12 I developed a crush on Embry, but so did the rest of the girls in my class. The girls stared at him every day when he came to pick me up after school. For once they were jealous of me as they watched Embry sweep me up in his arms for a hug. Mom thought it was the cutest thing whereas dad not so much. He would huff and puff every time Embry came over.

The other girls in my class were easily noticed by the guys because they were “developing” at a faster pace then I. Due to being a “late bloomer” I was never asked to the school dances. Embry was always there to cheer me up. Once he decorated my back yard with twinkling lights where we danced all night, well, at least until daddy had enough and came to pry me from Embry’s arms.

As I got older Embry became my best friend. I didn’t go anywhere without him, well almost anywhere. While Embry became my best friend, my relationship with my dad became rocky. As I began to finally fill out, it seemed like he did his best to keep me away from Embry by signing me up for all these volunteer programs. I didn’t mind helping out my community, it was just that I only had an hour or two to spend with Embry before mom would call me in for dinner, then straight to bed like I was always being punished.

On my 16th birthday mom and dad threw me a party. All my uncles and aunties were there. It was my birthday, and as much as daddy didn’t like it, he couldn’t deny me Embry. Needless to say there were more than enough people there to keep my overprotective parents busy while I had to practically beg Embry to sneak away with me to First Beach. Of course I got my way, Embry rarely ever told me no. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting next to Embry on the warm sand looking out at the ocean.

“Did you get everything you wanted Nair Bear?” He asked using the silly nickname he gave me when I was little.

“Almost everything.” I replied shyly.

“I don’t believe that, you’re daddy’s little princess. What didn’t you get?” He asked.

“Close your eyes.”

He looked confused. “Why do I have to…”

“Just close your eyes and I’ll tell you.” I said cutting him off.

Surprisingly he did as I said. He was so beautiful, I remember thinking to myself. My heart began to race as I moved in closer. His scent washed over me, it was my favorite scent, he smelled like the forest on a cool spring morning. As I moved closer, only inches away from his beautiful face I hesitated for a minute thinking that I shouldn’t, knowing that it was wrong, but it felt too right to ignore so I gave into my teenage hormones. My lips met his. His lips felt so soft and hot on mine. My heart skipped a beat. Everything was perfect until Embry realized what was happening and pulled back and jumped to his feet.

“NAIRA!” A deep voice shouted from behind. My dad pulled me to my feet by my arm, but that’s not what hurt me. The disgusted look on Embry’s face was what broke my heart.

Mom and dad figured it was about time to explain the legends of the tribe to me. He continued on telling me about him, the Uncles, Auntie Leah, and Embry being wolves that protect the tribe from vampires. Then he explained imprinting to me. He explained how Embry imprinted on me when I was just a baby. I was disgusted. I felt betrayed. The only reason Embry was nice to me was because of the freaky imprint thing. He was forced to like me because of it. If it weren’t for that he’d probably ignore me just like the rest. That is how I grew to hate Embry and resent where I came from.