‹ Prequel: Lost, Then Found

My Forever Girl

Ch. Twelve

Naira’s P.O.V.

My body smashing into the monstrous waves was brutal enough, but the temperature made it that much worse. The heat was instantly drained from my body along with the adrenalin rush that gave me the courage to actually do this in the first place.

Right before I ran out of breath I somehow managed to reach the surface; coughing out the salty water that invaded my lungs. “Ms. Call”, I shouted as loud as I could over the thunderous waves. Even if she did somehow magically hear me, there was no way I could hear her reply over the frantic beating of my own heart.

The moon was suddenly hidden by a group of clouds making my search for Embry’s mom that much more difficult. I was beginning to lose all feeling within my body. I was able to take a deep breath before a huge wave came rolling in, taking me under. I resurfaced only for a split second before getting taken under by another round of waves, ones that were much more violent than the first.

The last round of waves that knocked me down didn’t give me a chance to take a breath of air. My lungs were burning as I desperately tried to find the surface, but it was no use. I was immersed in darkness, I couldn’t tell whether I was struggling to reach the top, or pushing myself further down into the ocean. Being thrashed around continuously, took its toll on my already tired body. I could feel my will to survive beginning to slip away. That urge to open my mouth and take in air was becoming harder to fight. Finally my body gave into that reflex; letting the water enter. The last thing to cross my mind was how I’d failed Embry, and now I was receiving my punishment.

**********************************************************

Well, that worked out better than I’d expected. I’d only planned to kill off the girl, but once I spotted that crazy old lady wandering around the woods by herself, I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity. Thought I’d give that town a taste of what’s to come.

Jayden was weak just like his mother, but just maybe if he was provoked I’d see a part of myself shine through my boy. If learning his girlfriend died wasn’t enough to push him over the edge, than I don’t know what would; he’d be a loss cause and I’d have to find a way to destroy that family on my own now that I knew what I was still capable of.

**********************************************************
As I gagged, water spilled from my mouth. I could hear sighs of relief come from all around me as I took in much needed gulps of air. I couldn’t make out the blurred face of the person carrying me, but it was a wolf, that much I knew from the heat of his body. I was mentally and physically too tired to stay awake and figure out where I was.

When I woke up hours later, or what I assumed was hours later, I found myself wrapped up in layers upon layers of blankets. It was dark which made me wonder just how long I’d been out.
I finally felt the after math of being thrashed around. Everything began to ache, keeping me from getting up and making it worse.

“Stop moving around, you’re making things worse for yourself”, a husky voice floated from across the room. At first I was frightened, but after a minute I recognized who the voice belonged to.

“Embry”, my voice cracked from not being used in a while. I struggled to raise my head just to see a glimpse of his face, but the intense pain in my head forced me to lie back down.

Embry had not answered me; I was beginning to think I just dreamt the whole thing, or worse, maybe I was dead. There was no way I was in heaven; the pain was a reminder of that. Surely I was sent to hell after everything I put my family through, I deserved it.

I tried to sink deeper into the bed as the sound of feet shuffling across the carpet came closer. I shut my eyes and began to wish I was anywhere but here. The footsteps suddenly stopped, I almost thought I’d somehow gotten my wish until I felt the bed shift under the pressure of someone sitting beside me.

I squeaked in fear as a hot hand brushed against the side of my face, “Shhh, its ok”, Embry whispered. He really was here, relief seeped through my body, relaxing it just a little. I leaned a little further into his touch, taking in a deep breath of his scent; it made me feel safe knowing he was there.

“How long have I been out”, I asked in a whisper; my eyes still shut, just enjoying the warmth of his skin against mine.

“You slept the whole day”, he answered.

“How long have you been here”?

“Since you were brought home”, he admitted. I couldn’t hold back the grin that pulled at the corners of my lips knowing that he’d been here watching over me the whole time. I also couldn’t hold back the small yawn that escaped my mouth right after that.

“Go back to sleep”, he whispered, brushing the hair away from my face.

I began to whine in protest, but Embry wouldn’t have any of it. He always was able to get me to do what he wanted me to do, that is until I pushed him out of my life. I shook away those thoughts and concentrated on the present, “I’ll be here when you wake up, I promise. Now go to sleep. You need to heal”, he replied sweetly, placing a kiss on the top of my head before returning to the chair he sat in before I’d even woke up. The touch of his lips sent this electric shock throughout my body, something I’d only experienced one other time; on my sixteenth birthday.

Embry had said I was out a whole day, but it seemed like it wasn’t enough, my body craved more; needless to say it wasn’t hard to fall back into a deep slumber.

**************************************************

Look at the poor sap; he probably just got the bad news. There was only so much I could take of watching him cry like that; it was obvious his mother didn’t teach him how to be a man.

“Didn’t your mother ever teach you men don’t cry”, I flew through the open window and stood perched on the bedpost.

His head shot up, his eyes were red and puffy from all the crying, “Go away”, he seethed.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa”, I put my wings up in surrender, “Easy there tiger, I didn’t mean any harm. You look like you could use a friend”.

“You are not someone I would call a friend. I don’t even know what you are”, he spat.
“Ouch kid, you really know how to hit a guy where it hurts”.

He sighed, wiping the tears from his eyes, “what do you want”, he asked, his voice coming out in a whisper, leaving him sounding completely drained. Geez, how long had this kid been crying before I got here? I really had my work cut out for me if I was going to turn him into a cold blooded killer.

“I don’t want anything”, I lied. “What’s got you so down”?

He paused, I could tell he was debating whether or not he should tell me; finally he gave in, “I just called Naira and her mom picked up. There’s been an accident..”

“Oh no”, I cut in, hiding my head behind an extended wing. I quickly wiped the grin off my face before looking at him again, “when’s the funeral”?

His face scrunched up in confusion, “I never said she died”, he said angrily.

How could she not be dead? I stayed and watched her get swallowed by the ocean; no one could have survived that. My blood began to boil. “I’m sorry, I just assumed the reason you were crying was because something really terrible happened”, I replied, doing my best to sound sincere.

He hesitated before he spoke, “Something terrible did happen. I guess a friend of Naira’s family committed suicide by jumping off a cliff and Naira risked her own life trying to save her”, he paused; I could see the tears beginning to form in his eyes again. I wanted to gag. “Thankfully her friend Embry made it in time to pull her out. Naira’s going to be fine, but she’s a little bruised up”.

“Oh that’s horrible. I’m so glad she’s going to be ok. What about the old lady”, I asked.

“She didn’t make it”, he replied sadly.

“I’m sorry to hear that”, I replied, just for show. So the old bag didn’t make it, hmmm, maybe there’s a way I can still twist this around to make it all work out in the end.

“You know, the fact that this Embry guy saved Naira, it’s probably going to draw them even closer together. Not to mention she just lost someone she was close to, she’s going to be very vulnerable right now and she’s going to need someone to help her through this tough time. I bet Embry’s there right now, taking care of her, doing all the things you should be doing”. Come on Jayden, let me see that fire, I know it’s inside there somewhere; after all, you are my son.

“GO TO HELL”, he shouted, as he stormed out of the room. Bingo!

Jayden’s P.O.V.

I needed to get out of here, and hearing about Naira’s accident was the final straw. No one was going to stop me from being with Naira, not even the creepy hold my grandfather had over my mother and me every time we stared him straight in the eyes. That owl pushed my buttons, but he was right, Naira was in a vulnerable state, and she needed someone to be there for her, and that someone was going to be me.

I grabbed my bags and threw them out onto the porch, “WE’RE LEAVING”, my voice boomed. My mother and even my grandfather jumped at the sound of it.

“Jayden”, my grandfather called, stepping in front of the door, blocking my exit.

“Get out of my way” I said between gritted teeth.

If I wasn’t so angry I would have been shocked when the old man took a step to the left clearing the way for me. “MOM, get in the car now or I’m leaving you here”, I shouted over my shoulder, as I stormed out of the house.

“I’ll see you real soon Jayden”, the creepy old man called, with a chuckle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok......... So.. It's a little shorter than usual, but what do you think?? Crazy right!!! So, I've been extremely bored at work, so I've already started working on Ch. 13 :) More drama to come... I'm the first one to admit that Naira started out as a big BIOTCH, but I actually feel bad for her in the chapter to come :'(

Anyways, thanks for reading!!! I appreciate you all :D Xoxo