‹ Prequel: Lost, Then Found

My Forever Girl

Ch. Eighteen

Naira’s P.O.V.

I found myself standing in the middle of what looked to be the aftermath of a horrible house fire. There was a few back walls standing, but other than that it was pretty much unidentifiable. A thin layer of smoke was still rising from a couple piles of ashes. As I looked around for Mika and Embry something towards the back of the house sticking out of the ground caught my eye. I slowly walked over, bent down, and began uncovering whatever it was. What I’d uncovered made my stomach churn. I jumped back and began moving away from it, but for some reason I couldn’t take my eyes off of the pieces of bones I’d uncovered.

A man appeared a few feet away from the pile of bones. He stared at the bones for a moment or two before he lifted his head and stared back at me with these intense hazel eyes. He was fairly handsome, with his short brown hair, and muscular body. Something about him felt so familiar to me, but I was almost certain I’d never met him before.

“You don’t have to be afraid of me. We’re old friends,” he smiled kindly.

He waited for a response, but when he didn’t get one he continued, “Ah, you don’t remember me… That’s ok; I don’t expect you to right off hand. I used to come and visit you when you were little. We colored some pretty nice pictures back then,” he paused, “You certainly have grown up to be a beautiful woman. You remind me a lot of your mother when she was your age.”

My eyes widened; I did know him. He was what mom used to call my imaginary friend. She would freak out every time I brought his name up and told me he didn’t exist.

“I did exist once,” he said. Had I been talking out loud? “I was once a person just like you, but now all I am is this.” He began flickering in and out.

The clouds overhead began to turn a dark gray. The wind roared; picking up loose leaves from the ground and swirling them around us like a tornado. The man’s face grew dark and his tone became harsh when he spoke, “Do you want to know what happened to me?” He began screaming in agony as flames started shooting up from the ground all around him.

“SHE WILL PAY FOR WHAT SHE DID,” he shouted. The flames began to spread, inching their way closer to me. I got to my feet and began to run as fast as I could, but it was already too late. I was surrounded, standing in a circle of fire. There was nowhere to run. All I could think about is how I just wanted to be dead already.

“Naira Wake Up!”

My eyes shot open; Embry held me to his chest and began wiping the sweat that was pouring down my forehead. “Shit Naira, you’re burning up. Mika we have to get her to a hospital.”

“No, I’m fine. It was just a bad dream.”

Embry looked unconvinced. “What was it about,” Mika asked.

“I don’t remember,” I replied, wiggling out of Embry’s arms, and making my way to the bathroom. “The sun will be up soon, we should get going if we want to make it there by a decent time.”

I cupped my hands to form a bowl and let the water run into it. I splashed my face, and stared into the mirror. I did remember the dream, but how could I tell Embry it was about someone they all told me never to bring up again? I couldn’t help but feel like this dream was supposed to mean something.

“Naira, are you ok in there,” Embry asked from the other side of the door.

I pulled my hair back and opened the door. With a friendly smile I replied, “Yea, I’m fine.”

*****************************************

We were about an hour out when Mika’s stomach just couldn’t wait any longer. He pulled off the main road and stopped at a gas station to buy some junk food to tie him over until we could get some real food. Embry and I stayed in the truck while Mika ran inside.

“You’ve been really quiet today,” Embry said.

Those chocolate brown eyes were locked on me. I forced myself to look away before it was too late; before I fell under his spell and tell him everything. “Sorry; I guess I’m just a little tired.”

He nodded, “Are you sure you don’t remember what that nightmare was about?”

“Yea,” I lied; truth is it’s all that has been on my mind since we left that hotel. It was just a dumb dream about an imaginary friend from my childhood. Why has it gotten me this shaken up? I just can’t shake the feeling that it means something, or it’s some kind of warning that I shouldn’t just brush off.

“Naira,” Embry called, pulling me from my thoughts. He gently held my hand. As hard as I fought the urge, it was useless; I glanced up at him and got lost in those eyes. “I just want you to know you can still talk to me about anything. I know things between us have been a little weird…. Maybe we can start over…. Go back to the way things were before you knew about the imprint?”

For a minute I actually thought that he was into me… God, who am I kidding?

“Naira what’s wrong?”

I shook my head and put on the best smile I could muster up, “I’d like that.”

“Don’t do that.”

“Do what?”

“Act like nothing is bothering you when obviously something is. Talk to me Naira.”

“Fine,” I agreed before I could even think about what exactly I was agreeing to. I could feel the sweat beginning to form on my forehead and in the palms of my hands. Calm down Naira, it’s just Embry….. Since when does Em make you nervous; you’ve known him your whole life.

“Weeeeeelllllllllllll….” Embry said, breaking my inner monologue.

I took a deep breath. This is it, “Well this trip to see Jayden… It’s not what you think… I don’t want you to get the wrong idea….. And well, you and I…. I can’t just go back to the way things were before… I mean, not that I don’t want to be your friend…. Umm I just.. Well…” I clamped up.. None of this was making any sense to me, how could I expect him to understand what I was trying to say? Someone please, just kill me now and save me from the embarrassment. I leaned back against the seat and closed my eyes; wishing I was anywhere but here right about now.

“It’s ok Naira; I get it.”

My eyes shot wide open. Maybe I wouldn’t have to explain. My heart began to accelerate, “You do?”

He smiled slightly, “Yea…. I know how uncomfortable the whole imprint thing makes you…”

The weight that I thought had been lifted suddenly came crashing back down. He had it all wrong, “No Embry! It’s not that… Look, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you, I just could never find the right time.”

“Just tell me Naira,” he said sweetly. It was almost as if he already knew, but was just waiting for me to admit it to him and to myself.

“The other night, before we were interrupted by Jayden… I was trying to tell you that I’m……”
The truck door opened and Mika jumped inside throwing three bags into my lap. He couldn’t have come at a worse time. It’s like everyone was against me telling Embry how I really feel. I glared as he started the truck and took off.

“What,” he asked; when he finally noticed the daggers I was shooting at him.

“Nothing,” I growled… Embry leaned in closer and whispered, “We’ll talk later.”

**********************************

“Alright, you go handle your business. I’ll be at the beach,” Mika called as he started walking in the direction of the beach.

Embry slapped him on the shoulder and turned him around. Mika let out a huff and rolled his eyes, “The one time I get to leave La Push and I can’t even enjoy it.”

As we walked the halls towards Jayden’s room I began to get nervous. I spent the whole drive worrying about other stuff when I should have been thinking about what I was going to say to Jayden. There’s no way he was going to ever forgive me; I broke his damn heart. What am I doing here?

I stopped a few feet away from his door, “Do you guys think you can stay back? If he sees you guys right away he….”

“I don’t like the idea of you being alone with him Naira. I don’t trust him,” Embry cut in.

“I won’t be alone. I’m not asking you to leave, I’m just asking you to keep out of sight until I can cool him down. That’s if he even agrees to talk to me.”

They reluctantly did as I asked. I could feel their eyes on me as I walked up to his door. I guess I was going to have to wing it. I gave a couple loud knocks and waited.

The door swung open and staring back at me was a blonde hair, blue eyed boy.
“Naira, what’s up girl? How was your break,” Austin, Jayden’s roommate, asked.

I peeked over his shoulder, looking for any sign of Jayden as I answered, “Um, it was ok. Is Jayden around,” I asked, quickly getting to the point.

Austin stepped back giving me enough room to enter; I remained where I was. “You actually missed him. He was here a few hours ago.”

“Oh,” I bit my lip. “Do you know when he’ll be back?”

Austin hesitated, he dropped eye contact for just a moment, “Listen Naira, I care about you as a friend…. I think… Well,” He paused nervously, “I think you should stay away from Jayden.”

“What do you mean?”

He rubbed the back of his neck, “Jayden was a mess when he came back. He was talking to himself, I mean having a full blown conversation. When I tried to ask him what’s up he attacked me.”

“WHAT?” Jayden would never hurt anyone, “Did he say where he was going?”

“No, but he better not come back!”

“Ok, thanks for your help,” I said before turning around.

“Hey Naira,” Austin called, “Be careful. You know, if you do happen to run into him. He’s not himself.” So I wasn’t the only one seeing that. What is going on with Jayden?

“Are you ok,” Embry asked as we slowly walked towards the girls dorms.

“Yea.. I just don’t understand. Jayden’s never gotten physical with anyone; first you, and then Austin. I wish I knew where he was. I just have this gut feeling that something isn’t right.”

For the first time in a long time, Mika hung his arm around me like we were best friends, “Naira you can’t do this to yourself. You did nothing wrong, it’s not your fault the kid flipped out. It’s better you see who he really is sooner rather than later.”

“But it’s not,” I said looking at Mika as we approached my door. “He’s kind and gentle…..”

“Are you sure we’re talking about the same person Naira,” Embry cut in. I looked at Embry confused. He was staring straight into my room with a hint of terror in his eye.

As I scanned my room I suddenly saw what he meant; it was completely trashed. It looked like I’d been robbed, but I know that’s not the case. The only person that had a key to my room was Jayden.

“Mika, take Naira back to the truck and don’t let her out of your site,” Embry snarled.

“No wait, I need to get my things. I’m moving back home remember,” I said, slipping through Mika’s grasp.

My feet stopped in their tracks as I turned the corner to see red liquid dripping from the bathroom mirror reading “SHE WILL PAY”.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all :) Hope this chapter was a little more entertaining for you.. Do you have any idea of what's going on yet????? If you have a theory I'd love to hear them! Don't be shy to comment... If you want.. No pressure..lol
Anyways, hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.. If you don't celebrate Christmas, well.. Um.. I hope you're doing well :D
Have a great New Year's!
XOXO