‹ Prequel: Lost, Then Found

My Forever Girl

Ch. Twenty-One

Jayden’s P.O.V.

The red fox followed as I continued my walk down the path. He mostly stayed off in the shadows keeping his distance, but even when I couldn’t see him I could still feel his presence. Every now and then when I did catch a glimpse of him I would feel this magnetic force leading me closer to him; and him to me. In that moment it felt like we were connected as one, I could read his thoughts, warning me about the path I chose, and advising me to turn around and go back before it was too late. All it took was the owl to swoop down, creating a commotion, to break the connection between us. I’d return my focus back to my mission of winning Naira back, and the fox would retreat back to the shadows of the forest.

When the path finally led out to an open field I knew I made the right choice, because just on the other side of the field was Naira. Her long black hair swaying in the wind; when she looked my way she smiled.

“You came for me”, she spoke.

“Of course I did; Naira I love you”, I replied as I began quickly walking towards her, but I stopped in my tracks. She hadn’t been talking to me, Embry came in and scooped her up in his arms for a hug. He gently set her back down, but their connection didn’t end there; she cupped his face with her hands and smiled brightly as she pulled him down for a kiss.

I couldn’t see anything except red, “NAIRA”, I screamed, but they continued as if I wasn’t even there. Before I knew it I was running straight at him.

“You sure you want to do that”, Embry turned around, smiling smugly. I didn’t stop to question it, my arm swung up and my fist hit his jaw, but the only one shouting in pain was me. “Son of a bitch”, I yelled holding my hand that was now beginning to swell; it felt like I had just punched a brick wall.
“You can’t beat him Jayden”, Naira said smiling as she wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her head against his chest. “He’s faster than you, and stronger than you”, she taunted.

This only fueled my anger. “Get him Jayden”, a man said as he walked up beside me. He was about my height; he had short brown hair, and hazel eyes.

“Who are you”, I asked. He looked familiar, I had a feeling like I’d seen him before, I just couldn’t remember where.

“Finish what you set out to do boy”, he said nodding his head in Embry’s direction. They were now walking away, hand in hand.

The rage was beginning to take control. For the first time in my life I had these dark thoughts. Images of what I wanted to do to Embry flashed through my mind; slit his throat and make Naira watch as the blood drained from his body. The worst part, no, the most terrifying part was that I enjoyed it.

The growling brought me back to my senses, but that’s when I realized I’d somehow gotten across the field and over to Embry without even knowing it. My fist was clenched ready to swing; he was standing over me with that smug grin on his face, like he was better than me. With Naira off at a safe distance, I was being surrounded by a pack of wolves. These weren’t just any wolves though, these wolves stood as tall as a horse. Embry’s body shook and began twisting in ways a body should never twist. I watched in horror as his bones cracked, broke, and reshaped themselves. In seconds a gray wolf had taken Embry’s place, growling and snapping at me.

A massive russet colored wolf entered the field, he nodded to the pack and watched as Embry’s jaw clenched down on my arm. My scream was like a cue for the others to dig in. I could feel everything from the teeth digging in and tearing off chunks of flesh, to them pulling off limbs. All I could think about was how I just wanted to be dead; I wanted it to be over. The last thing I remembered seeing before I fell into the darkness was seeing the man with the hazel eyes flashing a smile before transforming into an owl and flying off; leaving me to die.

When I woke up it was dark; I was no longer outside. I immediately began checking myself for wounds, knowing it was impossible for me to be alive right now, if that’s what I even was. “You’re fine boy”, the man with the hazel eyes said as he walked into the room.

“You left me there to die”, I yelled angrily, jumping to me feet and walking right up to him.

“It needed to be done”, he replied calmly, pushing me gently to create space between us. “You needed to be reborn”, he added.

“Reborn”, I repeated, confused. “What the hell are you talking about”, I paused, taking in my surrounding. I knew where we were, but was confused as to why we were here. “What am I doing here”?

He placed a blade in my hand and murmured something under his breath before answering, “You’re here to finish your transformation”. I had no time to ask him what he meant before I started to feel it growing inside of me. It was like all the bad memories and heart break coming together to create this darkness.

I silently walked down the hallway to her room. I slid in and walked over to the bed. “Jayden, what are you doing here”, she asked, still half asleep; she was always a light sleeper. When I didn’t respond she became more alert. She began to sit up, but I slammed her back down. “Jayden what are you doing”, she screamed frightened.

“What I have to do”, I pulled out the blade that the man with the hazel eyes gave me. She squirmed and tried crawling to the other side of the bed to reach for the phone, but I pulled her back began stabbing her repeatedly all over her body. “I love you, and I’m sorry”, I whispered as I watched as the life drained from her eyes. The man with the hazel eyes nodded his head in approval before disappearing through the door. I was just about to follow when I caught a glimpse of my blood stained hands and face in the mirror, but what really caught my attention was my red glowing eyes.

“Jayden, Jayden”, my grandfather’s gruff voice called as he shook me awake. “Did you meet your spirit animal”, he asked. It took me a minute to realize where I was and what was going on, it was only a dream. Finally I nodded yes to answer his question. “Was your fate revealed to you”? Again, I nodded in response. “So you understand what you must do”, he asked.

“Kill her”.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! I was going to make it longer by switching over to Naira's P.O.V. but Jayden's section was so intense I decided just to leave it as is.. Besides, it got you all an update quicker! :) SOOOOOO what do you think????

Xoxo -E.M.S.