‹ Prequel: Lost, Then Found

My Forever Girl

Ch. Two

Naira’s P.O.V.

As I stood there staring up at him I noticed the slight smile that threatened to pull at the corner of his lips, but it didn’t mask the pain I saw as I stared into his eyes. I knew I was the cause of it because it was the same look he gave me the day I left.

“Naira baby, I’m proud of you, but couldn’t you have applied to a college a little closer to home?” Mom asked with tears building up in her eyes.

“Mom, please do not make this harder for me than it already is,” I replied with tears of my own forming as I threw the last of my luggage into the trunk of my car.

“You promise you’ll call every day?” She asked, wiping away her tears.

“I’ll call when I have time.” She would just have to accept that it was all I could offer. I didn’t want to make a promise to my mother that I knew I wouldn’t keep. I needed to get away from here, and talking to her every day on the phone would not help the situation.

I returned to the house to grab a few loose ends I forgot in my bedroom. Just as I was about to walk out of that room I noticed something crumpled up in a corner. I gave into my curiosity and unfolded it.

It was a picture of Embry and me from when I was little. It was taken on my 5th Birthday. I was sitting on Embry’s lap; we were both making funny faces for the camera. There was no holding back my laugh as I stared at the picture remembering that day like it just happened yesterday. Those were simpler times, times before I knew about the secrets of my tribe, and if I was being completely honest with myself they were times that I sometimes wished I could go back to.

I felt a sense of guilt knowing that Embry still had no idea that in just a few hours I’d be in an entirely different state. He was mostly the reason why I was leaving, and yet I felt like I couldn’t leave without saying good-bye. I set the photo down on the desk, pulled out a piece of paper, and began to write. Before sealing the envelope I smoothed out the photo and placed it inside. I knew I was taking the easy way out, but I wasn’t strong enough to tell him this in person.

Mom and dad were waiting for me outside by my car.

“Don’t stay away too long baby girl.” My dad’s goofy personality that I was counting on to give me strength to really do this wasn’t present, making me question my decision all together. Out of everyone I thought he would be the happiest to see me get out of here; he never wanted me with Embry. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Embry, he just didn’t want to see me stuck living in a life filled with mystical creatures even though he was one himself.

“I love you dad,” I managed to choke out.

“I love you too,” he replied, finally releasing me from his grip.

Before the first tear dropped I grabbed my mother in for a quick embrace.
“Mom I need you to do something for me,” I said, releasing her and taking a step back so I could look her in the eyes.

“Anything,” she replied with a weak smile.

I handed her the envelope with Embry’s name neatly written across it. “I need you to give this to…” I paused, not able to let his name fall from my mouth. “I need you to give this to him,” I finished.
She nodded, tears spilling over as she took the letter from me.

As I drove away I told myself not to look back, but yet again I wasn’t strong enough to do that. I glanced up into the rearview mirror and saw Embry standing at the entry of the driveway pleading through his eyes for me to come back.

“Welcome home Nair Bear.” His voice was quiet and gentle, but somehow pulled me out of the trance I had been stuck in. I opened my mouth to speak, as if I expected something would automatically come out, but when nothing did I snapped my mouth shut and pushed past him.

“Naira!” The pain that had been so evident in his eyes now filtered through his voice as he called after me.

“Embry just let her go; she’s not worth the chase,” Mika purposely shouted loud enough for me to hear.

I was having a hard time remembering why I came home. Sure, my parents were happy to see me, but within an hour of being here I had managed to turn my best friend into this angry, resentful person I wasn’t used to seeing, and as far as Embry, my presence was just a constant sting to remind him of the first time I burned him.

My feet carried me to First Beach. This place used to be my safe haven, somewhere I used to go to escape my parents and just think. Now all this place did was bring back memories of the nights I’d snuck out of the house to meet Embry here, just to see him for a couple minutes longer before my dad would come drag me back home.

As I plopped down into the sand I was startled by the sudden vibration occurring in my pocket. I pulled out my phone to see Jayden’s name flash across the screen.

“Hello.” My voice cracked as I answered the phone.

“Hey babe, I was just calling to let you know I made it to Seattle safe and sound.”

“That’s good,” I replied, trying to sound relieved.

“Is something wrong Naira?”

“No, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah I promise. I just miss you,” I replied with a small giggle, hopefully sounding a little more convincing.

“Already?” He chuckled.

“Yes! Don’t you miss me?” I asked with my best attempt at sounding hurt.

“Truth is, I missed you the moment I left.”

“Ooooow, Mr. Knight you sound like you’re falling victim to my evil plot to make you fall desperately in love with me,” I joked.

“Ah yes, a plot I’ve willingly surrendered to,” he replied with what seemed like sincerity in his voice. Any other girl would be excited to hear their boyfriend say this, but for me, it scared me half to death. We’d been dating almost a year and I still haven’t said those three little words that Jayden’s been desperately waiting to hear me say since our four month anniversary; the first time he said it to me. I mean, I had feelings for Jayden, but I knew it wasn’t love.

“So um, how’s your mom?” I asked, in an attempt to move away from this awkward silence.

He sighed at the absence of words he yearned to hear before answering in a surprisingly cheerful tone. “She’s actually doing pretty well. She was even excited to have me home for the Holiday’s.”

“That’s good, but why the sudden change in attitude?”

“Beats me, but she says she kicked her drinking habit and has been sober for six months now. I don’t know what motivated her to make this change, but I’ll take what I can get.”

“That’s good, I’m glad to hear she’s doing well. Sounds like you’ll have a better Christmas than I will, but at least I’ll have New Years to look forward to. You will be spending New Years with me, right?”

Jayden sucked in a breath, held it for a few seconds, and then let it out loudly. “Um, about that...”

“Don’t tell me you’re ditching me. You were supposed to spend New Year’s with me; that was the only reason I decided to come back, because you said you’d be here.”

“I know baby, I’m sorry. I promise I’ll be back in time to pick you up,” Jayden replied innocently, as if it would get him off the hook.

“This was supposed to be our first Holiday spent together,” I replied, frustrated.

“I know, but my mom wants to take me back home to spend time with the rest of our family.”

“Wait, what? I thought it was just you and your mom; and what do you mean go back home? You’re going back to New Jersey?”

“No, we’re going to New Mexico,” he replied.

“You said you were from New Jersey.”

“I was born in New Jersey, but my mom grew up on the Navajo Reservation in Crownpoint, New Mexico.”

“Wow Jayden, guess there’s still so much that I need to learn about you huh?” I said sarcastically, hoping he would catch on to my foul mood.

“Naira, are you mad at me?”

“Mad at you, why would I be mad that you’re bailing out on plans that we already made? No, I’m not mad at all. Go, have fun!” I said angrily.

“What the fuck Naria! I’m sorry I broke our plans to meet family I didn’t even know I had.”

To say Jayden’s response shocked me was an understatement. This was the first time Jayden ever used that kind of language with me. All I could think of to say back was “whatever”.

“I’ll talk to you later, I got to go,” he replied with an attitude.

“Bye Jayden,” was all I said before hanging up the phone.

I nervously twisted the phone in my fingers, part of me hoping he would call back, and the other half hoping he didn’t. I still couldn’t believe we just had our first fight. I know I started it, but I was really looking forward to spending the Holiday’s with him.

Though I was distracted with trying to wrap my brain around this, I could still hear the faint thud of footsteps approaching. Great, this was just what I needed right now. “Listen, I don’t feel like talking Em…” I let my voice fade out as I turned around to see my Aunt Shianne.

Shianne was my mom’s closest friend from New York. I guess my mom convinced her to move out here. When she did, my Uncle Jake imprinted on her. Poor thing, if she wouldn’t have moved here she could have been saved from this life, the life of being eternally bound to someone with no choice of who it’d be.

“Expecting someone else?” She asked teasingly with an eyebrow raised.

“No, I just thought you were… Never mind,” I replied, avoiding her eyes.

“You just thought I was Embry coming to chase after you?” She retorted with the same smug look on her face. “Don’t worry; he’s still back at the house wondering what he did that was so wrong to deserve that kind of reaction out of you”.

I let out a deep breath, hoping that some of my frustration would go with it before I decided to dignify her last comment with an answer. “Do we have to talk about him? I already heard it from Mika.”

“Hey, I’m not the one who brought him up,” she snapped back.

“Whatever.”

“Listen, don’t let Mika get to you, he’s just looking out for his friend,” she said, looking off into the horizon, trying her best not to let her own temper get the better of her.

“Explain to me how nearly biting my head off would be defined as looking out for me.”

She cleared her throat. Still avoiding my eyes she replied with, “I wasn’t referring to you.”

I paused before finally asking, “When did they become best friends?”

“Shortly after you left I guess. Embry lost his imprint and Mika lost his best friend; I guess they bonded over that.”

“Well isn’t that touching?” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“Enough with the sarcasm; you act like being imprinted on is the worst thing that could happen to you.”

“You’re right; I should totally be ok with not having a choice in who I will be spending the rest of my life with.” My voice was once again thick with sarcasm.

“Out of respect for your mother I’ve bitten my tongue when it came to you, but I’m having a hard time doing so at the moment. You’re such a brat; it’s always been about you and what makes you happy. Even after how badly you’ve treated Embry he’s decided to move back home with his mom just so that you’re happy.” She paused and rose from where she had been sitting. Before I could get a word in she started up again. “Embry would never push you into doing something that would make you unhappy, but I’m not him. Naira I’m begging you, let him be a part of your life. Stop treating him like he’s a nobody, because you mean everything to him. Nobody said you had to fall in love with the guy. He’ll be anything you want him to be, a friend, a brother, or even just a protector.” Once again she paused, letting her words sink in before starting up again, but this time with a much softer tone. “I’m not supposed to say anything, but you need to know, Embry’s sick.”
I brushed her comment off, “Embry’s a wolf; he doesn’t get sick.”

“The imprinted wolves can. They start getting weak if they’re away from their imprints too long. Jacob is so worried about him that he barely makes Embry run patrols, and on a rare occasion that he does, he makes sure there are at least two other wolves with him.”

“Why?” I whispered.

“Embry isn’t strong enough to take on one vamp by himself; what do you think would happen if he ran into a coven of them while on patrol by himself?”

When I didn’t respond she let out a sigh and turned to head home, but before she got too far she shot out one last request over her shoulder. “Please Naira, for once think about someone other than yourself and do something before something happens to him.”

After taking some time to mull over Aunt Shianne’s words I began to head home. I had to see for myself if what she claimed was true or just her way of trying to get me closer to Embry.
Embry was leaving just as I entered my yard. As I got closer I took in his appearance with Aunt Shianne’s words echoing in my head, “Embry’s sick”. He had dark bags under his eyes from lack of sleep. I wondered how I could have missed this before. His naturally beautiful bronze skin seemed pale, and his once toned body was now fairly thin. Oh Embry, what have I done to you? I knew he’d be upset when I left, but I had no idea it would have this kind of effect on him. If I did maybe I wouldn’t have…

“Your room’s all ready for ya,” he said, giving me a weak smile.

“Thanks.” My voice came out shakily. I stared at the ground, unable to look at what I’d done to him.

“Well, I’m taking off. It was nice seeing you Naira.”

I stood there with my eyes shut, listening to my heart race the farther his footsteps got from me.
“Wait!”

He didn’t speak, but his footsteps immediately stopped.

“Don’t leave.” The words fell from my mouth before I could register what I was saying.

His brows furrowed as he turned around to look at me. “Naira, I know you don’t want…”

“Look, there’s an extra room in the basement.”

Embry stood there staring at me, puzzled by my sudden attitude adjustment. My feet carried me closer to him, I could feel the heat radiating off of his body. My hand reached out to grab his. “Please Em?” I whispered, looking directly into his soft brown eyes.

He silently followed me back to the house and to the extra room in the basement where I put fresh sheets on the bed.

“I hope this is ok.” I said breaking the silence.

“It’s fine, thank you,” he replied, watching my every move.

I smiled warmly in response and headed upstairs, “Good night Embry.” I paused as I reached the top of the stairs and whispered, “I missed you”.