Give the Dog a Bone

Give The Dog A Bone

“Hey, Phil? I’m sorry about the puppy thing. If we ever move to a bigger place, maybe we can get one someday”.

I paused the latest episode of Dexter and raised my head from his chest to look at him. It was obvious from the minute we’d left the radio studio that something was bothering him. This soft, vulnerable side of him was something he kept closely guarded along with his insecurities. Except for when we were alone. It was for this reason that even 4 years on, I woke up every morning and went to bed every night with the same butterflies fluttering my stomach and just as much love as I had the very first day we met. I peppered a soft line of kisses down his jawline, catching his giggle with my lips as he tried to urge me away from his every so sensitive neck.

“Maybe someday, but for right now I have everything I need right here. At least my parents can’t stop me having you” I reassured him.

“No-one can stop you from having me, you turnip. If you get too desperate you can always tie me up and take me for a walk”.

The change in Dan’s tone from serious to flirtatious caused a stirring in my groin. Something else that hadn’t changed from our first meeting. Most people go under the assumption that the honeymoon period doesn’t last and things settle to become routine and boring. The only difference was that now we had to be more careful about being seen and heard.

“Gives new meaning to ‘give the dog a bone’” I countered with a smug grin.

“That’s just... Phil!” Dan laughed, half amused and half repulsed at the insinuation.

Despite the Mordor level heat in the air, I pulled the thin blanket covering us, tighter around us and snuggled closer, burying my head in the crook of Dan’s neck. Over the years we’d accumulated a large fanbase of under 18’s so I was always careful not to be inappropriate, they would never get to see the side of me that made lewd sexual references and yelled out a string of profanities when Dan did that thing with his tongue.

“I love you, you filthy little kitten. Get it? Phil-thy?”. I groaned at Dan’s bad joke and raised an eyebrow at the affectionate new nickname.

“I love you too, you pervert. And your terrible jokes and weird nicknames for me, but are we ever gonna get to see this episode?” I remarked pointedly.

Although it was definitely not an unpleasant distraction, I wanted to get caught up with our shows so as to avoid the many spoilers that frequently plagued our twitter feeds. Dan sighed defeatedly and reached over me for the remote, which I promptly tossed to the other side of the room.

“Dan, fetch!” I smirked.

“Oh, i’ll give you fetch” he retorted, rolling us over so that he could tickle me into submission.

I’d take the best boyfriend in the world over a puppy any day.