Live, Laugh, Love

Live,Laugh,Love Chp. 17

I felt really weird all day.

“Do you want some chicken soup?” he asked quietly, rubbing my ankle.

“Ok.” I whimpered. My throat was swollen and it hurt to talk.

Rob gave me a sympathetic look and walked into the kitchen. I heard him clattering around out there so I put my hands over my ears. Every little sound was like a firework, and my stomach felt like it was doing flips.

This was definitely not PMS. I ran my fingers over my head softly, feeling the hot, sweaty mess that was my forehead. I whimpered again, tossing on the couch.

Rob walked in. “Are you okay, baby?” he asked.

“No.” I said. “No, I’m not. Rob, can you get the thermometer out of the cabinet in the bathroom?”

“Sure, baby.” And he walked off.

Riley walked over to my slowly, testing. He wasn’t used to seeing my like this. He gave me a nervous little huff of breath before coming closer to the couch.

“It’s okay, baby.” I croaked, and my hand automatically flew to my throat. I bent myself over in a coughing fit, spitting up the gooey mess into a napkin. Rob came back into the room and rubbed my back.

He got the thermometer ready and stuck it into my mouth. He held my hot hand as we waited for the thing to beep, indicating it was finished.

“You’re not dying, Rachael.” Rob said, smiling sympathetically. “This is probably just the flu. You probably picked it up at the fashion show Monday.”

The thermometer beeped as I considered this, and Rob looked at the little screen.

“Oh, gosh.” He said, a look of concern crossing his face. “Baby, you’re at 104. I think we should get you to the hospital.”

I groaned, trying to stand up but getting dizzy. Rob had to catch me before I fell back. “I don’t want to go anywhere. I feel like shit.”

“Baby, 104 is not healthy. Can you please just go to the doctor and make sure everything is okay?” he was pleading as he helped me sit back down.

“I’m not going to a fucking doctor, Rob!” I yelled, my head throbbing. I yelped, grabbing my forehead in pain.

After the pain had subsided I looked over to Rob. He had his face in his hands, and he was rubbing his temples like he had a headache. I immediately felt bad for yelling at him.

“I’m sorry, hon.” I said, tears forming. “I just feel so bad right now.” I said, and he wrapped me in his arms.

“I want you to feel better, babe. I’m taking you to the hospital. I don’t care if I have to carry you out of here.” His voice held no waver, no argument. I knew that he wasn’t kidding when he said he’d carry me out of here.

“Fine.” I agreed reluctantly. “But I’m at least going to go get something decent on first.”

He agreed, walking into the kitchen to check on my soup.

I walked into the bedroom slowly, careful not to move too fast. Then I felt it. My stomach flipped violently, and I half-ran to the bathroom.

I leaned over the toilet, vomiting harshly. It was only about two seconds later that I felt Rob’s hands pulling my hair back.

He sat there patiently while I threw up what little things I had eaten that day. He went to the bathroom sink and poured me a little cup of water.

“Sip it.” He warned, handing me the cup. I obeyed, ready to do anything to wash out the repulsive taste out of my mouth.

“Sorry you had to see that.” I apologized, stroking his cheek. He leaned into my touch.

“It’s okay. I’m glad I can take care of you.” He smiled, planting a small kiss on my neck.

“Mmmm.” I sighed.

“What?” he asked worriedly. “Are you going to be sick again?”

“No no.” I said. “That felt good, you kissing my neck like that.”

A look of incredulity came over his face as he pondered why I would be thinking about that right now.

“Here,” he said, helping me stand. “I’ll help you get dressed.” He smirked and half-carried me to the bedroom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob put Riley in his pen and put the Chicken soup into the fridge. “You can eat it later.” He told me, chuckling a little as I turned green at the thought.

In the cab I leaned on Rob and the bumps made my stomach feel even worse. When we finally got to the hospital, I wanted to scream.

We signed in and waited for an insanely long time. Finally the doctor came through the doorway. “Ms. Banes.” He said, smiling. Why the fuck was he smiling at me? I sure as hell didn’t feel like smiling.

“Ok.” He said after Rob had helped me sit on the uncomfortable big chair thing. “What’s the problem?”

“I don’t know.” I said sarcastically. “You’re the doctor, why don’t you tell me?” My patience was running thin and I could see Rob trying not to laugh out of the corner of my eye.

“She has a fever of 104 and she her throat is swollen.” Rob answered for me. He was still smiling. I wanted to smack him.

The doctor looked over me for a few minutes. “It looks like strep throat.” He said, sticking a little stick into my throat. I gagged and Rob automatically stood up to help me.

The doctor quickly grabbed a small bowl and I threw up right into it. Once again, Rob held my hair.

“I’m going to take it to the lab just to be sure, though. As for your other symptoms, it looks like just a severe case of the flu. I suggest you just take it easy for a few days. You two can wait in the waiting room while I send this down to the Laboratory.”

Rob and I excited the doctor’s office, and once again we waited until the results came back.

“Rachael?” the nurse called and Rob helped me stand. She came over to us. “You do have strep throat. I want you to go ahead and go to the drug store; I sent your paperwork already so all you have to do is tell them your name. I suggest you rest a lot, keep drinking lots of fluids even though it hurts to do so, and here’s some medicine to help with your fever. The instructions are on the bottle.” She said, and walked away.

Rob eyed the bottle. “Good god, these look like they could tranquilize a horse.”

I groaned as he helped me out to the car. I got in and he shut the door behind me as quietly as possible. Rob knew exactly how to make me feel better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do you want the chicken soup?” Rob asked, frowning as I winced my way through a little sip of water.

“I can’t eat anything right now.” I practically growled. Rob got up off the couch before he could say something he’d regret. I whimpered pathetically. “No, Rob. I’m sorry.” I said, working to make my tone nice. “Please stay here with me. You help ease the pain.”

He rolled his eyes but walked back over to the couch and sat down. “I think I’m going to call my mom and see what else we can do.”

“Good idea.” I said, looking to the TV. I loved this episode of ‘Friends.’ Ross got married to Emily in this one but said Rachel’s name by mistake. I really loved this show.

My headache was slowly fading a bit, and I could hear Rob talking to his mom in the kitchen. I deciphered the words “Crackers” and “rest.” But I really couldn’t tell what they were saying.

I decided to focus on the TV instead. After a few minutes, my headache dulled just enough so I could see straight. I smiled for the first time all day.

I stood up and walked into the bathroom, needing badly to relieve myself. I was just about to wash my hands when the headache came back. Strong. So strong and unexpected that I yelped out in surprise. I fell to the ground, tears streaming down my cheeks at the pain.

I blacked out just after I heard Rob’s concerned voice saying. “Oh my god, baby? Baby, are you okay?” He yelled.

I was in a trance-like state. I could hear and feel everything around me, but I couldn’t move. I couldn’t speak. I heard the swooshing of the wiper blades as they batted against the rain. I heard Rob’s frantic voice muttering things like. “Please be okay. Oh god please let her be okay.” I wished I could tell him I was fine, that I was here, but I couldn’t find my voice.

God, this was annoying. The last thing I remember before fully blacking out was the sound of a computer monitor beeping beside me head.

This. I told myself. This beeping means you’re alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thnx 4 reading! Message :) X