Status: Complete :)

Wake the Dead

The Farm

" I won't do it. We can't just leave. What if she comes back and where not here? What could happen?" Carol said with desperation in her voice.

"Okay, we gotta plan for this. I say tomorrow morning is a good enough time to pull up stakes, give us a chance to rig a big sign, leave her some supplies. I'll hold here tonight, stay with the RV." Daryl said softly. I couldn't help, but stare at him. His hair was sticking out in multiple directions, and was matted to his face with dirt and sweat. His neck and upper chest were brown from dirt, but his face was lighter, and tan. He could be completely covered in mud head to toe and he still wouldn't look bad.

Daryl also had a soft spot for the Sophia situation, he wants to find that girl and wont give up til he does. He was starting to become his own person with out Merle here.

"If the RV is staying, I am too." Dale said.

"I'm in." Andrea said, putting her hands in the air.

Carol thanked them all and Glenn tried to say he was staying, but got cut off by Dale. "Not you, Glenn. Take Carol's Cherokee."

"What? Why is it always me?" Glenn whined a little, getting tired of doing errands for these people.

"Syd and I will go with ya." I told him. I felt Daryl look at me when I said that, but I didn't feel like sleeping in that RV again, my back was still sore. Plus, I wanted to see how Rick was doing.

"We need to find this farm and reconnect with our people, but most importantly; you need to get T-Dog there, he has a very serious blood infection. He needs some antibiotics, and soon, because if not... T-Dog will die, no joke."

I saw Daryl look back at his bike and then walk over, coming back with a bag of drugs and a rag. He threw the rag at Dale, "keep ya oily rags off my brothers motorcycle. Why'd ya wait til now to say anything? I got my brothers stash." He started naming off the drugs as he looked through them. "Oxyacetylene, not the generic stuff either, that's first class, Merle got the clap on occasions." Daryl threw the container to Dale along with some kick ass pain killers and put the bag back.

Of course Merle got the clap.

----

"Aye, Fi." Daryl said running up to me as I threw my bag in the car.

I turned around and saw him handing me my gun that I had to give up earlier. "Take this with'cha."
I took it from him and put it in the back waistband of my shorts and hopped in the car, "see ya tomorrow." I said, receiving a nod from Daryl as we drove off.

*

It was dark by the time we got there, but the lights from inside the house lit up the porch a little.

"So, do we ring the bell? It looks like people live here?" Glenn asked. It was a good question actually.

"We're past this stuff aren't we? Havin to be considerate." T-dog responded.

We all started to walk up the porch, not noticing the girl from earlier on the horse, sitting in the chair. "Did you close the gate up the road when you drove in?"

"Uh- hi. Yes, we closed it, with the uh latch and everything." Glenn said awkwardly. The girl sat forward in the chair, allowing us to see her better. "Um, nice to see you again. We uh- met before, briefly."

"We came to help." T-Dog interrupted Glenn's awkward babbling. "Is there anything we can do?"

The girl looked down and saw his bandaged arm. "It's not a bite. But, I cut my self pretty bad though." T-dog informed.

"We'll have it looked at. I'll tell em you're here, make ya somethin to eat." The girl said as she walked inside the house, all of us following behind.

The house was an old styled house, with plain walls and wooden furniture. We walked into the room that everyone was in to see a pale white, passed out Carl and two shaken up parents. Rick looked pale and weak, probably was giving blood.

"Hey.." Glenn said as we walked in.

"Hey." Rick said, his voice was tired and sad as he talked.

"We're here, okay?" I told Rick, who looked at me and nodded, then put his face back in his hands.

Glenn, T-dog, and Syd left the room, but I stayed behind. "Uh- I have blood type O, so I'm here to give some if ya need it." I told Rick and the older man who was working on Carl.

"I might have to take you up on that, why don't you get something to eat first." The older man said as he stood up off the bed. I nodded and then walked into the kitchen, where the girl from earlier handed me a sandwich.

I sat down at the table next to Glenn and Syd who were also eating, T-dog was getting stitched up in the other room. I finished the sandwich in record time and then drank a whole glass of orange juice.

I rubbed my stomach, "man, that was damn good." Glenn and Syd giggled at me.

I walked over and put my plate in their sink and rinsed it off, not exactly knowing exactly what to do with it.

"I think I spotted a bookshelf in their livin room, I'm gona go hang out there, see what I can find." Syd told me as she rinsed her plate off. I just nodded at her and went into the room Carl was in and leaned in the doorway. The older man looked up and saw me.

"Good, you're here. Come take a seat we are gona need a good amount of blood for the surgery when Shane gets back."

Lori stood up and gave me her seat, "I'm gona go get somethin to eat and fill the others in on whats goin on."

She walked out, wiping tears from her eyes and I plopped down on the seat next to Rick. "What's your name young lady?" The doctor asked me.

"Uh- Fiona."

"Hershel, nice to meet you."

I nodded and he bent down, wiping my arm with some cold wipe, then sticking a needle in with a tube attached to it. Before I knew it the tube was taking my blood and dripping it into a pouch.

"So, Hershel's a doctor?" I asked Rick once Hershel stepped out of the room.

"No, he's uh- a vet."

I heard the worry in Rick's voice, "he'll do fine. If he can work on squealin, smelly animals, he can work fine on a person. Plus, animals can be a lot smaller and more complex, so I'm sure he'll do just fine on with the surgery."

He looked at me, and I saw some hope flutter on his face. "Yeah, but unless Shane can come back with the medical stuff he needs, it won't matter if the surgery is on an animal or a person."

"Shane will be back. He will do everything and anything in his power to get back here, he's like you that way."

Rick just nodded and we sat in silence for a while until Hershel walked in. He took out the needle and put a bandage over it, then handed me a glass of orange juice.

Once I finished it, he helped me up. "I need to speak to Rick and his wife, but there is an extra guest bedroom for you and your friends to stay in. There is also a bathroom with a shower that you're welcome to use, but try to get a good rest, I will need more blood from you in the morning."

I nodded and said goodbye to Rick, then slowly made my way out of the room, trying not to fall over.

When I got out of the room I was about to go find Syd, but I heard a car pull up to the house, and then was almost ran over by everyone running out to greet Shane. Apparently there was supposed to be another man with Shane, the one that shot Carl, but he didn't make it.

I saw a cold look in Shane's eyes and noticed that he looked very shaken up, something was off. I didn't have time to think about it because everyone else was running back inside, getting ready for surgery.

I decided I was just going to find Syd and go to bed, getting my blood drawn had sucked the little bit of energy I had left, right out of me, and it had been a long day.

*

I had woken up to the sun shining through the window in the guest bedroom of Hershel's house. I looked over and saw Syd curled up on my right side, asleep. I quietly pushed the covers away and tip toed over to my boots, and then went out of the room.

Across the hall was another guest room that Glenn and T-dog where in and it looked like neither of them had woken up yet. Before I could go down the stairs, my stomach felt a little queasy and then I had the sudden urge to vomit. I ran to the bathroom that was next door and practically dove for the toilet as i started to throw up.

It was probably from the lack of blood I had in my system and eating a lot last night after not having a meal since the C.D.C.
I stood up, flushed the toilet, and decided to just take a shower. I stripped out of my dirty clothes and stepped into the shower. The water wasn't hot, but it was warm and I am not complaining. Once I washed all the dirt off my body and hair, I got out and wrapped to body up in a towel.

I peeked out the door and made a quick dash to my room. I had left my bag in the corner, so I walked over and took out a new change of clothes.

I got dressed, trying my best not to wake Syd, grabbed my gun, putting it in the waist band of my shorts again, and then crept down the stairs.

I turned the corner to see Hershel and the girl on the horse, who's name I needed to learn, sitting at a table in the kitchen with sad looks on their face. Hershel heard my footsteps and looked up from his mug, was that coffee?

"Good morning, did you sleep well?" Hershel asked, barely looking up from the book he was reading.

"Uh, yeah, I'm all ready to give more blood if ya need it." I said in the nicest voice I could manage.

"Here, sit down." Hershel said pointing to one of the chairs at the table. "Maggie get Fiona some eggs."

Ah, so her name was Maggie. She walked over to the counter and came back with a plate of scrambled eggs. My mouth watered at the sight, but before I dug in I remembered my manners.

"Thank you for the bed and the food, we all really appreciate it. It's like heaven compared to whats out there."

He nodded. "Its the least we could do after what happened with Carl."

I scarfed down all my eggs and a glass of water, then I remembered that Hershel did the surgery on Carl last night. "Carl, how is he doing?"

"He's stable, but will need more blood. Are you ready?"

I nodded, deciding not to tell him about me throwing up, because I wanted to help. I walked into the room Carl was in and was that Lori and Rick where both asleep in the chairs next to the bed. Hershel pulled up another wooden chair on the opposite side of the bed for me to sit on and got everything ready.

He put the needle in me, then left a glass of water on the bedside table and walked out while the tube started to suck the life out of me. Without anyone to distract me I was having a hard time not thinking about the blood dripping into the bag. I leaned my head back and tried to think about something else, anything else.

I wondered what Carl did to deserve this, what did any of us do to deserve this new world? I used to ask my self that question a lot when I was a kid, and even when I was grown up. I still haven't figured out the answer to that question, which has lingered in my mind for my whole life.

But, I did know that this world wasn't for kids anymore, and that was proved multiple times.

After a little while Carl's color started to return to his face a little bit, I was glad I could help with that. Hershel walked in right on time, because Rick and Lori started to stir. They eventually woke up and looked over and saw me. I pointed to my arm with the needle in it and gave them a thumbs up.

Lori mumbled thank you to me and Rick just had a thankful look in his eye.

Hershel walked over and put his hand on Carl's forehead. "Fevers gone down."

Rick and Lori sat up and smiled, weak and tired smiles. Carl twitched a little and then slowly opened his eyes. I wanted to give them time together, so i signaled for Hershel to take out the needle, which he did. Hershel helped me up and then T-dog appeared at the door, "they're here."

T-dog put his arm around my waist, and helped me slowly walk outside onto the porch. Everyone walked over to them and I slowly made it down the stairs and I noticed that Syd had woken up.
My head was spinning and I felt really weak, so I went to sit down on the step, but practically fell to the step.

I saw Daryl step closer, "Fi?"

I looked up and put my hand to my head that was aching. "Hey." I mumbled to Daryl.

He was about to ask what was wrong with me, but Hershel stepped over to us. "She gave a lot of blood, and she is not in any condition to be walking around until she gets some food and re-energizes."

Daryl sighed and put my arm around his shoulder, and his arm around my waist and helped me inside. I looked ro my right before I walked inside, and I saw Shane. He was wearing a plad shirt and overalls that were way to big for him, but the look in his eyes is what caught my attention. They were different, darker, but almost sadder or guilty.

Daryl dragged me inside and I pointed towards the direction of the kitchen, and he helped me over and sat me down at the table.

"Jesus, Fi. How much blood did ya give?"

"Uh- well I gave a lot last night, then slept, woke up, and gave some more." It really wasn't a big deal, I'll be fine in a few hours.

He sighed and plopped down on the chair next to me. I looked outside the window and everyone was giving Rick and Lori hugs. "What the hell happened?" Daryl asked, causing me to look back at him.

I shrugged my shoulders, "just some huntin accident. One of the men that lived here accidentally shot Carl, but they fixed him up."

He stayed quiet and looked around as Maggie walked in. "We are going to be having a ceremony for Otis in an few. There are some more eggs on the counter you can help your self to, also."

Before I could even thank her she walked off, and I heard crying. "Who's Otis?" Daryl asked once Maggie was far enough away.

"He was the one that shot Carl. Apparently walkers got him when Shane and him went to go get medical supplies." He just nodded and watched as I slowly made my way over to the counter and grabbed a plate of eggs that was already made. I sat back down and started to eat the eggs. Daryl still sat across from me and I could feel I was under his gaze. The silence was pretty awkward, but once I finished half of the eggs I slid the plate over to Daryl.

He pushed it back over to me and gave me a pointed look. But, I just pushed it back to him. "Take it. They're startin to make me feel a little queasy anyways."

He gave me a look, but the took the fork out my hand and ate the rest in a few big bites.

*

We were all standing around a pile of rocks that each of us put on for Otis. Hershel said some things out of a bible and then said a few words about Otis as everyone in their family added a rock to the pile. I looked at the family and tried to remember who was who; Maggie and Beth; sisters. Patricia; Otis's wife. Hershel; The doctor. And, Jimmy; Beth's boyfriend. They all had introduced them selves to us earlier when everyone arrived.

Shane was standing across from me and the look on his face was hard and cold. He looked like he was completely out of it, but was snapped back to reality when Hershel asked him to say something about Otis, because he was the last one with him.

Shane tried to get out of it, but a crying Patricia convinced him to. He hesitated, but then gave a very convincing story that I didn't buy one bit.

He killed Otis. I saw it in his eyes, and heard it in his voice when he struggled to get the story out, it was all bowl shit. I looked up and locked eyes with Daryl and shook my head at him. He just nodded a signal that he knew what was going through my head, he didn't believe Shane either.

We all walked away when the service was over, and a few of us met over at a car that was over in the yard ahead of the house. Maggie came over and layed out a map that showed the terrain of the forest. Hershel and Shane joined us after they had changed, and looked at the map. "This is perfect."

"We can finally get this thing organized." Rick said as he looked the map over.

"We can grid the whole area, start searchin in teams." I told Rick, already forming a plan in my head.

"Not you two. Not today." Hershel said, ruining my plan. "You both gave 3 units of blood. You wouldn't be able to hike 5 miles before passing out." He turned and looked to Shane. "And your ankle, you would normally need to lay off of it for a month."

I sighed and looked up at Daryl as he spoke. "Guess it's just me, I'm gona head back to the creek, work my way from here."

Everyone nodded, knowing Daryl could handle himself alone. "We could still be useful." I said turning to Rick. "We could drive up the interstate, see if Sophia wandered back."

"Alright. Tomorrow then, we'll start doing this right."

"I'm not comfortable with you people carrying guns on my property. We've managed with out them so far." Hershel said.

Shane argued, but Rick, being the good person he is, set his gun on the car. "We are guests here."

Shane sighed and put his on the car too, then they both looked at me, knowing I had a gun on me. I let out a dramatic sigh and pulled it out of my shorts and set it down. I hated not having that gun on me.

They started discussing about setting up gun training, but I just leaned against the car, tapping my fingers on it while I looked at my gun just sitting there. Maybe I could secretly take it when they were looking away.

Shane and Andrea walked away and everyone followed them with their eyes, now would be the perfect chance.

But, before I could grab it, Daryl had reached across the car and put his hand on my wrist. I looked up at him and he shook his head, saying no. Damn him, how does he always know my plan!? I pulled my hand back, and then walked away with anger, going to help Glenn set up tents in the yard.

We finished putting up a few, and I realized my throat was dry as can be.

I saw Glenn was talking with Maggie, so I ran over with Dale and T-dog to come with them to the well.

"Mind if I tag along?" I asked.

Dale smiled at me and handed me one of the empty water jugs he was carrying, "not at all."

Dale was a nice guy, and sometimes even reminded me of my granddad.

We got over to the well and started to fill some jugs up. I looked up and I saw that a few boards that were supposed to cover the well, were broken.

I walked over to them, T-dog and Dale barley noticing because they were talking about something important I guess.

I crouched down and looked in side of the well, to see the nastiest son of a bitch swimmin around in there... A walker.

I looked back at the guys and see that T-dog is about to take a drink of water. I run over and slap it right out of his hand. "I wouldn't drink that if I were you."

Their eyes widened in shock as they processed what I said.

I started to run back over to the group, but had to stop multiple times from being too dizzy.

I was too focused on the house to even notice Daryl walking by me, heading out to go look for Sophia. I tried to stop my self in time, but still managed to ram into him a little bit.

"What the hell are yo-" He started angrily, but I cut him off.

"Walker in the well." I said out of breath.

"What? "

"Ya. I'm gona go find Rick and tell em, can ya try and find Maggie and then tell her to get her ass over there?" I asked him, receiving a nod from him as he jogged off.

I looked around and didn't see any sign of Rick, but I saw Shane sitting on a bench with Andrea in the distance. "Shane." I said as I approached him, but then had to stop, put my hands on my knees and try to see straight, I probably shouldn't have been running around. "Whats goin on?" He said stepping away from the bench and over to me, not really caring that I was trying not to pass out.

"Yeah, I'm good, thanks." I said sarcastically earning a annoyed and confused look from him. "But, uh- there's a walker in the well." His eyes widened and I heard Andrea mumble something and then they both took off.

I was too dizzy to even walk straight, so I stayed back and plopped down on the ground, putting my head between my knees.

"Fi? What the hell?" I heard Daryl say ahead of me. I looked up and I saw Maggie running to catch up with the others. "Fi! Shit, I saw ya talkin to Shane, did he hurt ya?! I swear I will-"

"No, he didn't hurt me, I just am deciding weather or not I want to throw up or pass out."

I heard him let out a long sigh and then help me get up and sit up on the bench. "What the hell were ya doin runnin around, Fi? You already gave these people enough of help, along with ya blood."

I was just not in a good mood right now. I already felt like shit physically and I really just didn't want to deal with Daryl being randomly caring anymore, because i was pretty sure hes only doing it as an apology for causing me to have a meltdown at the C.D.C. Or just to get in my pants again..

"Why don't ya just go do somethin useful and look for Sophia. I'm tired of bein cared for like a fucking baby, I can take care of myself." I snapped at him.

Anger washed over his face, "fine. T' hell with ya. You can get your own sorry ass back over there." He started to walk away, but turned around. "And, don't ya come runnin to me again when ya need help."

He angrily walked off into the forest, and I just laid down on the bench, putting my hands over my face. It's better if he is pissed off at me, because then he'll stay away and I won't have to worry about if he feels the same was as I do to him.

I can forget that he doesn't care.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wooo, long chapter. Yay for Carl getting better! :) -- Random puking scene.....(Or is it not random? mwahahahaha) Do you guys think Daryl really does care? -- Next chapter will be up soon! Don't forget to comment!!!!