Status: Complete :)

Wake the Dead

Nothing

*Daryl's Point of View***

I woke up to Fi talkin in her sleep, she had curled up next to me during the night, so she had her head on my shoulder and hand on my chest. It wasn't awkward cause she was still asleep, and i wouldn't have minded it, but she started talking about Trey in her sleep. I knew who Trey was, he was Fi's boy toy before the world went to shit. She had fucked me and then dreamed about Trey?

I slid out from under her and got up to get dressed and my head started pounding, I was hungover. I was also pissed off, but I wasn't sure why, we slept together because we were drunk. I wouldn't have had the balls to do it if i was sober. Last night was amazing though, it feels like i've been waiting forever to do that, and she was so beautiful.

If Merle were here he would yell at me for fallin asleep with her after, he was the kind who fucked and then never came back. He also would tell me i was jealous of Trey like he always used to. I looked back at Fi and she even looked good while she was asleep. I looked up and saw that her shorts were stuck on the ceiling fan, remembering last night I sighed and walked out. This girl is gona be the death of me.

I walked into the room we ate in last night and saw T-dog makin eggs for a hungover Glenn. Chinaman can't hold his drinks down. T-dog handed me some and i ate them in a couple bites and decided I'd go get Fi before anyone else did and found her half naked in my bed.

When i got into the room she was already up, looking for somethin. I shut the door behind me and got her attention, "I can't find my damn shorts."

I thought the situation was actually pretty funny, but seeing her look so tired, reminded me of how she was dreamin about Trey and it pissed me off. I pointed to the ceiling fan and she looked up and snorted a laugh at it. She got up on the bed and reached for it, her shirt lifted up and revealed her round ass. I had to remind myself I was mad at her to become distracted from thinking about her body too much. "Food is ready in the same room we ate last night. T-Dog made eggs for ya hangover."

She got down off the bed and slid her shorts on, "okay, was Syd down there?"

"Nope." And with that i left to go back to eat more, or drink more, maybe both.

----*(Fiona's point of view)*

I had slept fairly well, except for my dream, well it was more of a nightmare. It was about Trey, but then it was about Daryl, and then they both died. I woke up screaming "NO", only to find i was in the bed alone. I was actually relieved, that way i wouldn't have to explain to Daryl.

Daryl was acting distant and weird this morning, probably because we totally had amazing sex last night. I thought i wouldn't remember much in the morning, but I remember every time he touched me, or kissed me. I sighed as i opened the door to mine and Syd's room, but Syd wasn't in here. I was confused at where she would be until i heard someone throwing up in the bathroom.

I ran over and pulled Syd's hair out of her face and held it for her, "so, how is your first experience with alcohol going?" I laughed at her, but she only continued to vomit. After maybe 10 minutes or so, Syd emptied out everything in her stomach. "Feel better?" I asked her as i handed her some water.

"Not really." She said with a weak smile.

"Well come and lets get you something to eat, I heard T-Dog made some eggs, and protein helps with the hangover." I helped her up and waited for her to wash her face and hands, then we walked down to the kitchen.

"So did you have a good night with Glenn?"

"Yeah, i wonder if he is feeling as bad as me, or worse." She giggled. "How about your night, did you stay with Daryl? Did anything happen?"

"Na, i just fell asleep reading and drinking in the rec room. Honestly the best sleep I've ever gotten." I thought it would be best if no one knew i slept with Daryl last night, its not their business and Syd had a big mouth.

We turned the corner into the kitchen and Syd sat down by Glenn while i got us both some coffee and eggs. I noticed Daryl was sitting at a separate table, drinking again. I ignored it and Sat down next to Syd, feeling Daryl's eyes on me the whole time. I saw Shane walk in and instantly I wanted to kick his teeth in. I looked over at Daryl and he was staring at Shane, looking just as angry as I was.

I quickly finished my eggs and took some pills for my headache and then we all followed Jenner into the computer room. I leaned against a wall on the side of the room as Jenner played a play back of TS-19. It was a brain, that was once living and full of lights. Jenner told us the lights where the experiences or memories, it was a persons life.

TS-19 was bit, and was dying. "Vi, scan forward to the first event."

Some black branches where at the bottom of the brain, "what is that?" Everyone looked at the screen with confusion and interest.

"It invades the brain, like meningitis. The brain goes into shut down, then the major organs." Jenner hesitated. "Then death." His voice got softer, "Everything you ever were or will be... gone."

Jenner's words made my knees week. Trey. Trey was one of those things and it was my fault. My parents are probably dead, my mom, my uncle, my friends? I put my hand over my mouth and slid down the wall onto the ground, I felt so weak. Syd came over and crouched down next to me, putting her hand on my shoulder. I looked up and she looked like she could cry any second now, lucky. I also saw Daryl looking up at me with worry, confusion, and anger. He's angry at me. Rick and Glenn were also looking over at me, Glenn more worried about what Syd was doing, but Rick had concern and sadness in his eyes. I wanted to scream and rip my hair out.

"She lost someone two days ago, her sister." I heard Lori say to Jenner about Andrea not caring that I was trying not to have a meltdown.

"Vi, scan to the second event."

A little red light started to come up near the bottom of the brain. "It restarts the brain?" Lori asked what everyone was thinking.

"No, just the stem. Basically it gets them up and moving. The brain is dark, lifeless, dead. The human part, that doesn't come back, the you part."

A big gash went threw TS-19's head. He shot it and he has no idea what it is. I felt my hands start to shake.

"Somebody has to know something, somewhere. There are others right? Other facilities?" Andrea asked.

The look on Jenner's face confirmed everything I have been thinking, I was right.

"So its not just here, there is nothing left, anywhere. Nothing." Andrea said sounding like she was breaking.

I looked over to Rick who looked right back at me, he remembered out conversation last night, the look in his eyes drove knives into my heart. He looked at me with fear and hopelessness, he needed some hope, he was the type of person that needed it.

"Man, I'm gona get shit faced drunk, again." Daryl said as he ran his hands over his face. I'd goin him on that one.

"I hate to ask one more question doc, but that clock is counting down. What happens at zero?" Dale asked.

"The basement generators run out of fuel." Jenner said and then suspiciously walked off.

I stood up and walked over to the group, I had to be strong again. Everyone looked at each other confused and worried, "what the hell happens when the power goes out, and why is there a timer for it?"

"Vi, what happens when the power runs out." Rick asked the bot.

"Facility wide decontamination." The monotone voice responded.

Decontamination. Something about that didn't sound good. Rick, Shane, Glenn, and T-dog ran into the basement to check the generators, while the rest of us went to out rooms. I asked Syd to pack both our bags up, just in case and then walked over to Daryl's room, looking for the alcohol i left in there last night.

I walked in with out even knocking, I was in a bad mood. Daryl jumped off of the bed in surprise, "what you can't stay in your own room now?" He said in an agitated and angry voice.

"Calm down, I'm just here to get the fuckin booze before we have to get the hell out of here."

"What do you mean get the hell out of here?" He said, still agitated.

"Decontamination, Daryl. What about that sounds good to you?"

"Ya fuckin crazy."

I spun around, "I don't know what is up your asshole, but I'm not in the mood for it." I spotted the bottle and walked across the room to get it.

"Your up my fuckin asshole, FI!"

I snorted, "Do you want me to say sorry? Well, I'm sorry that I'm not sorry because i have no fucking idea what your so pissed off at me for!"

"Ya talk in ya sleep, Fi!" I was about to leave, but stopped dead in my tracks realizing what i could have been talking about. "And then ya come in here like ya can be a bitch and get away with it just because i was drunk and fucked ya last night! So why don't you just fuckin leave, and then when we have to apparently get the hell out, you can ride with Shane for all i fuckin care." He slammed the door.

I was fuming, but i was also giving in. I heard a loud noise come from Daryl's room. My heart sunk at the fact of Daryl only sleeping with me cause he was drunk, at the fact that he doesn't care, because of Trey, because of my mom, my uncle, and because everyone i've ever known is probably dead. I felt too weak to hold the bottle that i went in there to grab, so i dropped it and stomped on it until it shattered everywhere. My legs gave out, this was too much for one morning. I couldn't even cry anymore, let alone smile. "Fiona?" I heard a voice call out, but didn't look up. "Fiona!." It was Rick.

He came over and helped me stand up and then i realized I was bleeding, the glass from the bottle had cut me a little on my hand, and there was a big gash above my knee. He helped me over to my room, which Syd wasn't in, she probably was with Glenn and he put the toliet seat cover down, so i could sit.

"You don't have to help me, i can do it myself." I told him as he got a rag wet to wipe my cut with.

"No, i do have to help you, I don't mind. But, what happened out there?" He said with care in his voice.

"I guess i just had a meltdown." I said and snorted a laugh.

"Was it because of what Jenner told us?" He was like a therapist, but better.

"I guess that's part of it." It wasn't completely, but i guess i would have been in a better mood if I hadn't heard what he said.

"You looked pretty down earlier when he did talk to us, you've lost someone?"

I grunted a little, "haven't we all?"

"Ya, i guess we have." He finished putting a bandage on my leg and hand and helped me up. But, right then the lights flickered off and the a.c. was gone. Rick and I both looked at each other then ran over to the hall where everyone else was out too. I saw Daryl looking over at us, but as I caught his gaze, he looked away quickly.

Jenner walked down the hall way and everyone started asking him questions about the lights and a.c. "Energy use, its being prioritized."

"Air isn't a priority? Lights?" Dale asked while we all followed him down to the computer room.

"It's not up to me, zone 5 is shutting its self down."

Daryl still in a sour mood ran up after him, "Hey! What the hell does that mean?" Jenner just ignored him. "Hey man, I'm talkin to you! What do ya mean its shuttin its self down? How could a building do anything?"

Rick ran up in front of Jenner, "Jenner, whats happening?!"

"The system is dropping all non-essential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running until the last second. We've just approached the half hour mark." Jenner said pointing to the timer. He paused and took a drink of the booze he stole from Daryl, then handed it back to him. Daryl ripped it out of his hands, spilling some. "It was the French. They where the last ones to hold out as far as i know. While our people were bolting and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in their labs until the end. They thought they were close to a solution."

"What happened?" Jackie asked.

"Same thing that's happening here. The power grid, ran outta juice. The world runs on fossil fuel, I mean how stupid is that!"

"T'hell with this, I don't even care. Lori, grab our things, everybody were getting out of here, NOW!" Rick yelled. I looked over at Syd and she nodded, running to go get our bags with everyone else.

Some alarm started buzzing around the building, causing everyone to stop dead in their tracks, "whats that!?"

*30 minutes until decontamination* the monotone voice projected throughout the room.

Everybody started running to go get their stuff, but Jenner did something and locked us in with big, metal doors. I started putting two and two together, there is only one way to do a thorough decontamination of a disease control building. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. I looked over at Daryl and he saw the panic in my eyes, then ran over to Jenner trying to attack him. "YOU SON OF A BITCH!"

Shane pushed Daryl back and Jenner didn't even flinch. T-dog had to come over and help Shane, because Daryl wanted to beat Jenner to a pulp. "Open that door, now." Rick said getting in Jenner's face.

"There's no point, everything top side is locked down, the emergency exits are sealed. Which is not something I control, the computers do. I told you once those doors close, it wouldn't open again." He paused. "It's better this way."

Rick continued to get in Jenner's face, "What is? What happens in 28 minutes!!?"

I was getting so pissed off at this situation, I needed to survive, and Jenner was taking that away from me. Jenner didn't respond so Rick got in his face some more, "WHAT HAPPENS!" He started hitting the table.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS PLACE IS? IT PROTECTS THE OUTSIDE WORLD FROM VERY NASTY STUFF!." Jenner yelled, "WEAPONIZED SMALL POX, MENINGITIS, EBOLA STRANDS THAT COULD WIPE OUT HALF THE COUNTRY! STUFF YOU DON'T WANT GETTING OUT, EVER!"

Jenner calmed down and walk over to his chair and sat. Daryl was walking around eyeing him, ready to pounce, but I was shaking with anger at this man. Rick, he still didn't seem to get it. "Decontamination? Wha-"

"RICK!" I yelled, interrupting him, causing everyone to look at me, shocked. "LOOK AROUND PEOPLE, DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE?" I paused and looked at every ones faces, still they didn't understand. "What do you think is the best way to keep all the deadly shit from seeping out into the public?" Still nothing. "Destroying it for gods sake! This building is going to fucking blow!" I said as i tried to kick Jenner's teeth in, only to be pulled back by Daryl. I pushed him off and started pacing. I was going to freak.

Every ones eyes got wide and filled with fear as they realized I was right. I walked off looking for something to get the door to budge and saw some axes that someone brought in. I was about to go run over to the doors, but stopped to listen to what Jenner was saying. "In the event of a catastrophic power failure, H.I.T.'s are deployed to stop any organisms from getting out." Everyone looked at him confused about H.I.T.'s, they're fuckin bombs.

"VI, define." Jenner said and Vi did as commanded. As she defined people started crying and hugging each other. Crying isn't gona help.

"Jesus fucking Christ." I mumbled and started running over to the door with my ax in the air. Daryl and Shane ran up next to me with the other ax's and started hitting the door too.

"It sets the air on fire. No pain. An end to sorrow, grief, regret. Everything."

I stopped hitting the door as i heard Jenner. An end. The ax slid down in my hand and i took a step backwards away from the door. I knew I couldn't leave my sister, but she has Glenn now. A painless escape. All i could hear as i thought that was Trey's last word: Survive. I couldn't let him down on that.

Daryl noticed I wasn't next to him anymore and looked back at me. He must have seen the look on my face, which made his face sadden, but them become more determined. "OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!" He yelled and started taking all his anger out on it.

"You're not even makin a dent." I said to Daryl as i walked over to the rest of the group by Jenner.

"Those doors are designed to withstand a rocket launcher." He informed us. Great.

"WELL YOUR HEAD AIN'T!" Daryl yelled and cam at him with an ax, but yet again got pushed away. Daryl shoved away from them and started pacing.

"There is no hope." Jenner said to all of us, but of course Rick denied that.

Jenner tried to convince us on the idea of getting blown up, but it just made Carol and Sophia cry louder. "My daughter doesn't deserve to die like this!"

I couldn't take it anymore, I felt like I was suffocating. I needed to get my sister out of here. I needed to help these people survive. I pulled my small knife that I keep in my boot and ran up to Jenner and held it to his throat. "Now you will open that door or I will end you, and it won't be quick and painless either!" I pushed my knife down on his neck.

I saw Shane run up at me in the corner of my eye and shove me. I fell to the ground, hitting my head on the edge of a computer. I groaned in pain, but then became overcome by anger. Everyone started freaking out because Shane pointed a gun at Jenner's head and started shooting the computers above me and screaming. I put my arms over my head to protect it from and curled up, shielding myself. I saw Rick take Shane's gun and knock him over while yelling at him. "You done now? You done?"

"Yeah, i guess we all are" Shane responded, causing Rick's eyes to fill with anger and guilt. I did feel bad for Rick, It was obvious to tell Lori and Shane had somethin goin on, and Shane wasn't to kind to Rick like the brother that Rick thinks he is.

I didn't even try to stand up, I just slid away from the computers and leaned my head on the desk behind me listening to Rick try to talk his way out of this. I guess it turns out that TS-19 was Jenner's wife and the only reason he stayed here. Not because of hope, because of love and a promise. The same reasons why I felt i needed to survive, no matter how much i didn't want to at times.

Daryl had walked back over to the door and started hitting at it again, anger controlling his actions, like always. I rested my head on my knees and hugged my legs.

"Your wife didn't have a choice, but we do and we want to keep trying. We want a chance. Let us keep trying as long as we can." Rick said in a soft voice.

Jenner looked around at every ones pleading faces, and sighed. "I told you top sides locked down, i can't open those."

Daryl was just about to hit the door again when it opened, he look back a little confused, but then yelled "COME ON".

I slowly stood up as I watched everyone run from the room, besides Jackie and Andrea. I also saw Jenner whisper something in Rick's ear, but I ignored it. I locked eyes with Andrea, who looked broken. This was my chance, and I was just letting it go. I heard Syd yell in the distance, "wheres Fi!!?" I ignored it because I was to busy watching Dale and T-Dog try to get the ones they love to come with them. I could never leave my sister like that. Before i could turn around and run, I felt a hand grasp my arm and spin me around.

"FI! COME ON!" It was Daryl, he came back for me. He started to pull me a little and I ran with him back to the windows that they blew up with a grenade. We ran out, and I am pretty sure I saw Andrea and Dale behind us and T-dog ahead. Everyone outside was screaming at us to get hurry, as Daryl sliced a walkers head off and I stabbed one, but we didn't make it to the cars. They screamed at us to get down and I jumped over some pile of sand bags and Daryl jumped right behind me and put his body protectively over mine. I could feel like blast go over us and i felt the ground shake like a huge earthquake. I gripped on to Daryl's shirt and waited for it to be over.

When it quieted down Daryl and I sat up and looked at the pile of what used to be a building and tried to catch our breath. We looked at each other, but then he pulled me up and we ran to his car. Nobody hesitated to drive away, because that blast was gona attract a ton of walkers.

I was still out of breath as I got into his truck. He started to follow the caravan out and i searched his truck for the radio that was going off. I found it and turned up the volume, it was Syd who was freaking out.

"Hey its alright. Syd, it's okay. You're okay. I'm okay." I said slowly into it.

After a few moments of hesitation, the only thing she said was, "i love you."

"I love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww, to the Daryl saving Fi at the end of this chapter. And just to make it clear, Fiona isn't suicidal. She was just thinking about what it would be like to stay, but the quickly and easily decided 100% against it. :) I hope you enjoyed!