‹ Prequel: Pinky Promises
Status: Temporarily Not Updating

Cross My Heart

Home, Home, Home

The week long vacation seemed to fly by and as I stood in our living room watching the new neighbors move in to the apartment I used to call home, I couldn't help but wish that I was still in Hawaii. Not that Maine was bad. It was just so care free when we were on vacation that I didn't want it to end.

"Layyylaaaa, have you seen my-" Jimmy started as he came in to the room then stopped and looked at me. "Hey, what are you doing, spying on the new neighbors?" He asked and joined me, shoving his face in the window.

"Not spying, just looking. It feels weird to see someone else taking their things in there. I mean, I did live there for a long time."

Jimmy turned and looked at me. "Uhh oh, is someone having some regrets about being conventional and living with her husband?" He teased.

"Of course not! That place was a hole!" I grinned at him and he walked over to me, sticking his long arms around my middle half.

"Good. So, as I was saying, have you seen my little black backpack? The one with my medications and shit in it?"

"Yeah it's in the bedroom on the bed." I said. Jimmy had to take medication for his heart, which made me uneasy. If he took too much he could cause himself heart failure, and if he forgot to take it well, he could cause himself heart failure.

"Thank you." He kissed my cheek. "Plus, I have a surprise for you!"

"I'm not sticking my hand in your pocket." I said and he laughed.

"No, not that. I actually was supposed to give it to you while we were on our vacation, but you know me. I forgot. Might have been all the ocean water I swallowed."

I wrinkled my nose. "Gross. Do you know how many people peed in that water. No, do you know how many times Charlie and Dillon peed in that water?"

"It's a big ocean babe, besides, that's not what came to my mind..."

"What is then?"

"Do you know how many animals and shit are in that water
dumping loads and stuff?"

"Okay, that's disgusting. Go brush your teeth a couple of times before you kiss me again." I said.

"Hey! It's not like YOU didn't swallow any of the water either. I know you did when Matt pushed you off the boat."

My mind was taken back to one of the days we spent snorkeling. I was on the edge of the boat looking over, trying to decide how I wanted to get in when suddenly there was a hand on my back and laughter just before I hit the water.

"Let's move on. What do you have for me?" I asked.

"Ahhh, no way."

"What? Come on! You just said-"

"I know what I said, but then you made fun of me! Now I don't want to give you nothin'." He stuck his nose in the air and I lightly hit him in the arm.

"That's hardly fair! You can't just tell me you have something for me then tell me I can't have it!"

"A lot of things in life aren't fair, Layla. Your husband holding out on presents is just one of the ones you'll have to get used to."
I was about to make a wise ass comment when all of the sudden his phone started to ring.

"Hey pretty boy. What's up?"

I rolled my eyes and went to the kitchen to grab something to eat, feeling a little run down from all the excitement.

"Babe! Matt wants to know if we wanna go out to eat with him and the other stooges. You in?"

"Yeah sure. Where at?"

"Where?" Jimmy asked then appeared in the kitchen, "He said
wherever we feel like going, he just doesn't wanna take the time to cook."

"Yeah I'm in." I said feeling my stomach growl.

"She said she's in. Yeah we'll meet you there. Alright. Later." Once he hung up Jimmy joined me in the kitchen. "I'm gonna go take a quick shower and get ready okay?"

I nodded. "Good. Wash some of that whale sper-"

"NO! Don't you dare! I'm out!" He ran by me, pausing slightly to give me a kiss, then continued to rush toward the bathroom.

I smiled and continued to look for something quick to snack on.

-

When we arrived at the little Chinese place called Wing Wah's, we found not only Matt and the others waiting around outside for us but also that the entire restaurant was packed.

"We sure picked a great night to come here." Charlie said throwing his cigarette down on the ground then stepped on it to put it out.

"I'm sensing a little hostility." Jimmy said looking at him.

"Nah I'm good. It's just.. you know how many bitches I run in to in
public places?" He said with a slight smirk.

"Here's a thought, are you ever gonna settle down? Maybe you know, actually date a girl for once instead of just spend the night?" I asked.

"That would be too domesticated for me." Charlie said. "Though I can't say I'd turn down the right woman if she persuaded me."

"Dude, YOU'RE the one who's gonna have to persuade-no beg- someone to marry you." Matt said crossing his arms.

"I don't see you doing any better."

"Guys, you'd think you would want to settle down, I mean Jimmy fuckin' got married before us. What's that tell you?" Dillon said as he stuck his phone back in his pocket. He had been texting and oblivious to most of our conversation.

"Can we go in and get a table now?" I asked. "I'm sort of hungry."

"Alright, alright, let's go." Matt said pushing the door open and holding it that way for me to get in. As soon as my feet crossed over he let go and moved on, causing Charlie to walk in to the door.

"Asshole!" He yelled.

"You're not a lady. You're capable of holding a damn door open,
you pussy." Dillon said walking by him.

"What's with the mouth? Did someone's booty call cancel on him?"

"Hi!" The waitress said, having heard the booty call remark. She was wearing a smile but I could tell she was amused.

"Hey." I said. I remembered her from high school, vaguely. Her name was Jackie or Jaime or something like that.

"How many? Five?" She asked.

I nodded. "Unfortunately yes. I have to be seen in public with those fools."

She smiled at me then turned to look at the four guys who were talking about speed dial hookers. "They don't seem that bad." She said and I laughed.

"Try spending more than just five minutes with them. You'll see what I have to put up with."

"At least they're cute, right?" She said.

I nodded. "Sure, and they're damn lucky that they are. I don't think I'd put up with their crap if they weren't. Well, except Jimmy."

"Which one is Jimmy?"

"The freakishly tall one." I said with some affection.

"He's the cutest one! Is he your boyfriend?"

I shook my head. "Used to be. Now I get the pleasure of calling myself Mrs. Jimmy."

"Really? That's cool!"

I wasn't sure if it was me or the fact that I was hungry but I was getting impatient with the chatter. Sure, she was nice and I didn't have a problem with HER, but soon the boys would start to riot and I would have to duck out as if I was never there.

"Alright, follow me." She said, I'm guessing because she sensed I was ready to move on, and we followed her to a booth in the very back near the bar.

"I put you next to the drunk people so everyone would be prepared for rowdy folks." She said to me.

"Thanks. That might actually work."

We settled in and she wrote down what we all wanted to drink then said she would be right back to take our dinner orders. I was sitting squished next to Jimmy and Dillon, the lesser of the five evils, and looked around to occupy myself.

"I'm telling you, Popeye's chicken is the best chicken in the entire world." Matt said.

"The chicken here is pretty good. It could have it's own mascot and shit." Jimmy argued.

"Yeah but it's Chinese chicken. It's not Popeye's chicken. Popeye is an American. It's different." Matt said.

"So, you're racist when it comes to your chickens?" Dillon asked.

"I'm not racist when it comes to chicken, I'm just saying. It's better by default."

"Better how? Like, better flavor, texture, ethnicity?" Charlie asked.

"So what about sausage. Does that have to be an American pig or is a Russian pig okay too?" Jimmy asked.

"Guys, I'm not racist. You dumb fools, listen to what I'm saying. It's just better! It tastes better."

"You know, there is this CHINESE place that I've been to that serves chicken that tastes EXACTLY like Popeye's chicken. If you ate it and said the same thing, would you then admit you're racist against chickens?" Jimmy asked.

I rolled my eyes. I couldn't believe that this was an actual conversation they were having.

"Okay guys, are you ready to order?" The waitress, who's name was actually Rene, came back and stood waiting with a pencil in her hand.

"Yeah, I'll get a number ten." Matt said.

"I'll have a six." Charlie said.

"Yeah, six for me too." Dillon agreed tossing the menu back in it's place.

"And you two?" She asked looking at Jimmy and I.

"I'll take a twelve." Jimmy said.

The boys went on talking and I gave my menu one more look. I decided that the number two looked more than good and glanced back up to tell her, then froze.

Have you ever been completely happy then suddenly look up to see the one thing that makes your insides go cold and your throat seize up? Like, pure terror fills your body and you can't move or blink then you realize you can't even breathe?

"Layla?" Rene was asking. Damn, she remembered my name?
Jimmy took notice to the fact something was wrong and looked at me. "Lay, what's wrong?"

I couldn't bring myself to actually tell them to look across the room. I didn't want to draw attention to it but I also didn't want to keep looking like a moron with my jack slacked open. I forced myself out of my daze and looked at Rene.

"Sorry, a number two please."

She looked at Jimmy then back at me. "Alright, sure thing. You okay though?"

I nodded. "Yeah! Yeah, I'm good. Just spaced out there for a second no big deal."

Except it was a big deal. It was a huge deal. I had gone a really long time without this fear inside of me and it would figure that when I had finally moved on there he was.

Jeremy Dunn. The reason for many nightmares, and there he was. Sitting at his table with some other guy, eating his food and staring me directly in the eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dunn dunn dunn. (Literally)