Wednesday in Paris

The Nerd

"We were the kings and the queens..."
"Tanner Reynolds," the principal spoke into the microphone. I walked across the stage and shook hands with the administrators. The vice principal handed me my diploma while my family snapped pictures and people cheered.

I left the stage with my fresh diploma in my hand. I had finally graduated from college. I walked by Harper on my way back to my seat, and we smiled and high-fived each other.

When I did get back to my seat, I looked around the audience for my family and Alexis. It was quite impossible, as the arena was huge and packed with families and friends of graduates.

When the ceremony was over, we all threw our caps into the air. We were escorted out of the arena first, then the families. I found my family after about ten minutes of searching for them. My mom, dad, grandparents, sisters, and brothers all stood together, waiting for me.

When I got to everyone, immediately they all wanted to take pictures and see my new diploma. I think they must have taken at least fifty pictures each. Alexis was nowhere to be found, which was strange because she said she'd be here. Maybe she just got lost.

Ironically, moments later, I got a text message from her right after the pictures were done. She said her mom was sick, so she had to go. I was a little sad, but not too much.

My mom made a huge lunch and the whole family came to my parents house. All my aunts, uncles, and cousins were there. They all wanted to see my diploma.

When we ate, I sat at a table with my brother, Brian, and my two friends, Brick and Rhett.

"So, where's your girlfriend," Brian asked.

"Her mom is sick so she couldn't come," I told him.

"Are we ever going to meet her?"

"Soon."

For the rest of the day, I played rugby with my brothers and cousins. It was a really good time. I got to see a bunch of family that I haven't seen in years. It was nice seeing most of them.

After our rugby game, my grandmother wanted to talk to me.

"Tanner, I heard you're seeing someone," my grandma said. I blushed a little bit.

"I guess news travels fast in this family." I laughed.

"Is she pretty?"

I smiled. "Yes, gram," I said, "She is very pretty."

"I'd really like to meet her before I get old."
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, Tanner's grandma.