Wednesday in Paris

The Writer

"I had the best day with you today..."
Alexis was being a bitch. And it wasn't her usual amount of bitch. What she said was actually really rude. She's never talked about anyone's family that way before. Like, ever. She actually made me not want to be around her.

Anyway, my parents were making this huge graduation dinner for me. My sisters and brother even came home for the weekend for it. Starting in the fall, I'm going to medical school.

I sat in my old room, unpacking my clothes and putting them into my drawers. Everything was just how I left it when I moved out. My bed was in the middle of the room, my desk in the corner by the window.

I finished putting my clothes away, when someone knocked on my door. I turned to see my father standing in the doorway. He walked over and gave me his infamous bear hug.

"What brought you home so early?" he asked, releasing me from the hug.

"My roommate was being a bitch," I said.

He put his arm around me. "Well, your mother made apple pie. Let's go downstairs."

"Daddy, you know I don't like pie."

"Well, that's why we have some methamphetamine too."

I laughed. "You are a 58-year-old police officer. What are you doing with drugs?"

"I'm kidding, Harp."

The two of us went downstairs and into the dining room, where, sure enough, there was my mom's homemade apple pie. And there was also a huge chocolate cake. Which is good, because my sister and I love chocolate.

Dad and I sat down at the dining room table with my mom; my sister, Megan; my (sororal) twin sister Heather; and my brother, Liam.

As soon as I sat down, Megan, who is fifteen, wanted to know everything there is to know about Michael. No joke, she wanted to know how we met, if he's nice, when she'll meet him.

"How old his he?" she asked.

"He is 24, Megan."

"Does he go to school?"

"He's in graduate school, Megan."

"What does he want to be?"

"A lawyer, Megan."

"Is he cute?"

"Meggy, that's enough," said my father, "But, Harper, when will we meet him?"

Here we go. "Soon."

The rest of the night was super fun. My mother and I had made a turkey dinner, which is my absolute favorite food ever. It was like Thanksgiving in June. It was just perfect.

I got to talk to my twin sister, Heather, again. Which we haven't seen each other since Christmas. She's already married and lived three hours away, so we don't see each other that much. She's really excited that I'm dating someone again. I'd be correct to say she is my best friend.

My older brother, Liam, came home, too. He's twenty-six and married with two kids. He lives an hour away, so we see each other more often than Heather and I do.
♠ ♠ ♠
YOU BETTAH LOSE YOURSELF