Wednesday in Paris

The Nerd

"We were both young when I first saw you..."
I only had half of a page left when I saw someone out of the corner of my eye standing next to me, looking down at me. I looked over to see a beautiful brunette girl with chocolate brown eyes and model-length legs. It took me quite off guard to see a girl- especially a pretty girl- near me without calling the police. Girls don't even want to be near me, let alone like me. I'm getting way too ahead of myself.

"Um. Hello." Was all I could muster out. She looked like she was about to roll her eyes, but she clearly stopped herself.

"Hi. There's nowhere else to sit so can I," I heard her swallow, "sit with you?"

My eyes widened and I cleared my throat. Quickly and awkwardly, I saved my work, shut my laptop and moved over one chair and let her take mine. She sat down slowly, and I shoved my laptop into my backpack.

I looked at her. She was avoiding eye contact. I could tell by the way she was looking around. I watched her for a while. She took sips of her drink and licked her lips. She eventually looked back at me with a disgusted face.

"Why do you keep staring at me?" she asked angrily. My face turned burning red and my throat went dry. She rolled her eyes, stood up, and walked away to another table across the cafe.

I shook my head. I am such an idiot. I felt embarrassed as I took my laptop back out of my bag and continued writing my paper. Once I finally finished after about ten minutes, I saved my work and went on Facebook.

People never really liked me at school. I was always bullied, called a loser. I didn't fit in; I was a misfit. It hurt to not have friends, but it always kept me clear from the drama.

After another ten minutes of time being wasted, I decided to go home. I closed my laptop, put it back in my backpack, and stood up. I slung the straps over my shoulders and picked up my cup. I threw it away it a nearby trashcan and, as I was about to leave, someone stopped me.

"I'm sorry," a female voice spoke. I turned around to see the pretty girl from earlier. She had her hand on my shoulder.

"It's okay. It was my fault," I reassured her. She shook her head.

"No, it wasn't. I'm just a bitch, and I'm sorry."

I smiled and once again said it was okay. As I opened the door to the pouring rain, she told me her name.

"I'm Alexis," she said, "I come here every Wednesday."

I smiled. "I'm Tanner."

She smiled and I went outside into the rain. It was dark, the streets were empty. I knew I had a long walk home, but I really didn't care for once. I might actually be making my first friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, Tanner.