Wednesday in Paris

The Jock

"I believe it was a Tuesday when I caught your eye..."
"Yeah but why do Americans call it 'soccer'?" Robert asked.

"Well," I said, "Their version of rugby is called football."

I looked around at all the guys who were in this part of the conversation. While half of the table talked about sports, the other half talked about the upcoming wedding. My best friend, Nathan, is getting married tomorrow, and I'm the best man.

"So, Nate," said John, "Tomorrow's the day."

Nathan shrugged his shoulders. "Yep."

I looked over to the booth in the corner. I saw a girl with light blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She was writing in some leather notebook that probably came from Forever 21 or Urban Outfitters.

I watched this girl as she sipped her tea, wrote, sipped her tea, looked at a photograph, wrote, etc. I don't think she noticed me staring at her. After a few minutes, a girl sat down with her. I broke my gaze to finish the conversation with my friends.

My friend, Brad, leaned over and whispered, "Getting married at 22 is like leaving the party at 9:30."

I whispered, "I know you stole that from the internet."

I looked over at where the girl was sitting again. This time, her friend looked over at me. She whispered something to the girl and they both looked over at me.

When they looked away, I figured this would be a good time to talk to her. I told my friends I'd see them tonight, got up, and walked over to where they were sitting.

After a few moments, the girl's friend, Alexis, left. She left the girl, Harper, and I alone. After another few minutes, Harper said she had to go. She quickly got up from the table and scurried out the door.

I sat at the booth, alone now. I looked at what she had left behind. There was a napkin at the edge of the table with writing on it. I grabbed the napkin and examined the writing.

'Call me' it read. Her number was written under it. I folded the napkin and put it into my pocket. I got up from the table and went back to my friends. I sat down, and Brad patted my shoulder.

"You finally getting a lady?" he asked.

"Oh, come off it, mate." I laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this takes place on Wednesday, but that lyric fit best in all of Taylor Swift's songs.