Wednesday in Paris

The Nerd

"So you call me up like..."
I sat on the couch in my apartment, reading a book called Lies, Truth, and Deception. The way the book was written, it sounded like something Morgan Freeman would narrate on Through the Wormhole. I've read it three or four times before. It was really interesting. I like it. It's my favorite book I've ever read.

Playing on the television was a documentary about sharks on The Discovery Channel. Shark Week is in a few months, and I can't wait for it. Sharks are my favorite of anything, so Shark Week is basically like a week-long holiday.

My roommates think I'm a huge nerd because of my obsession with sharks, but they'll watch the programs with me for the most part during Shark Week. I have a feeling that they like it, but they would never admit it if they did.

Shark Week is pretty much the only time I get the television, other than when I'm home alone.

I was right on the last page of my book, and right at the end of the documentary, when my cell phone vibrated, signaling that I got a text message. I took my phone off the coffee table and unlocked it. I didn't recognize the number the text was from.

'I'm sorry.' The text read. I sent back, 'Who is this?'

I put my phone back on the table. I continued reading, and a moment later, my phone vibrated once again.

'Alexis. I got your number from Harper Luxembourg.'

'You know Harper? How' I wrote.

She replied instantly. 'Yeah, she's my roommate.'

That surprised me a bit. Harper is one of the only people I talk to. These must be the hands of fate.

I was wondering whether I should text back or not. I finally did, and I wrote, 'So what's up?'

I mentally slapped myself for being such an idiot. I shouldn't have texted her back anything. She's going to think that I'm some stalker. Or that I want to be her friend.

She didn't text back for a while, so I knew I had fucked up. I mentally punched myself because I ruin any chance I could possibly ever have with a girl.

But then, after about ten minutes of reading and hoping for a reply, my phone vibrated. I picked it up and unlocked it. The text message was from Alexis.

'Come back to Paris tomorrow afternoon at 1.'

I smiled and told her 'ok'. I put my phone back on the table and did the thing that Judd Nelson did at the end of The Breakfast Club. Man, I am kind of a nerd.
♠ ♠ ♠
There actually is a book called Lies, Truth, and Deception. I read half of it in grade eight. It was really boring.