Wednesday in Paris

The Writer

"And I stare at the phone he still hasn't called..."
I left my number on an old napkin and left it at the table with Michael. A part of me hoped he would call me, but another part hoped he'd forget.

By the time Friday night rolled around, I still hadn't heard from him. I lost hope, and figured that he had forgotten about me. Whenever I would use the restroom, or go to the kitchen, or go anywhere without my phone, the first thing I would do when I came back was I'd check me phone.

Alexis and I sat in the living room of our apartment with our roommate, Adelaide. I was spread out on the couch, my legs on Adelaide's lap. Alexis sat on an armchair with her legs over the armrest.

We were watching some Lifetime movie on the television. I don't know what it was called, but it was about some lady who was obsessed with her son, and she had his pregnant wife killed by hit men. When the police traced the murder back to her, her son didn't believe it.

"When I have kids, I'm going to name my son Anthony, and my daughter Aspen," I told my two friends.

Adelaide gave me a look. "I don't think think that this is the right movie to say that."

"And what if you have more kids?" Alexis added.

"Then they'll all have the same names."

They laughed. "I'm naming my son Taylor and my daughter Eleanor," Adelaide said.

"Assuming you'll only have a son and a daughter," Alexis remarked, "For me, it will be Caroline and Neil."

I took my phone off the floor and checked for any missed calls. Nothing. I let out a sigh and put it back down. Alexis smirked.

"Waiting for someone to call, Harper?" she asked.

I nodded my head. "Yes, Alexis. I am."

Her and Adelaide wiggled their eyebrows. I rolled my eyes and attempted to push Alexis off the chair. It didn't work. Instead, I fell off the couch.

"I didn't know we live with a twelve-year-old," Adelaide said. I flipped her off and lay back on the couch.

"This movie sucks," I commented. Alexis grabbed the remote and changed the channel to Hallmark.

"Jesus Christ," I said, "I wasn't this desperate to change the channel."

The phone rang. I immediately stood up and ran to it. I recognized the number, and became a little disheartened. But when I realized who it was, I became excited.

I ran to Adelaide to give her the phone. She saw the number and her mouth dropped. Her hands started shaking when she saw the number.

"Hello?" she answered the phone. I heard the person on the other line say something. She stood up and walked over to the door. Slowly, she turned the knob and opened it.

Standing in the doorway was Adelaide's boyfriend of seven years, Taylor. She dropped the phone and hugged him.

Right as this happened, my cell phone rang.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm watching a documentary on 9/11 and I can't stop crying.