Hate You so Much

Here We Go Again.

“Will you marry me, Jamie?” Tyler Seguin looked up at her from a knee. Jamie, eyes puff from crying, hair tied up into a horrifyingly mess bun on the top of her head, stared at him for a long time before answering.

“Are you out of your mind? Fuck off,” she stuck her foot out against his chest and then using all her force to push him over. “I’m pregnant again, not in love with you.”

Tyler sat on the floor, frowning. When Jamie had dropped the bomb on him that she was pregnant, again, with his child, he didn’t know how else to react. His mom had been bugging him since their first child, Liam, was born, to marry her but, Jamie wouldn’t even go on one date with him, let alone spend eternity with him. He scratched his neck, “so, is this kid the product of Marchy leaving?”

It had been Jamie’s turn to drive Liam to Tyler’s. Tyler had skilfully convinced Dallas to trade him in order to be closer to his son. The only team that would take their risks on the notorious party boy was Boston though where his best friend Brad Marchand was still playing. When Jamie showed up at Tyler’s door, he didn’t have his trademark grin. Tyler’s roommate took Liam to the park while Jamie and Tyler talked about just how upset Tyler was and, eventually, conceiving the new baby.

She nodded but, held up her finger, tears still in her eyes, “if you even say one word about naming the kid after him, I’ll beat the fuck out of you.”

“But we named Liam after your friend!” Liam was indeed named after Lexa but, still. Jamie hated Brad and her comforting Tyler was actually her celebrating his departure. He held up his hands in defeat, he knew this was a losing battle.

Suddenly, she was full sobbing in front of him. She had cried on the way over and a few tears had slipped while she told him but, now she was starting to hyperventilate, she was crying that hard. Tyler instantly crawled over, putting her hands on his shoulders and his hands on her hips, “c’mon baby, just breath. Deep breaths, concentrate on my face.”

“Don’t,” she took a deep breath. “Call,” breath. “Me,” breath. “Baby,” breath.

“Whatever makes you focus,” he grinned, wiping tears from her face. He then leaned over pressing his forehead to hers. “We’ve done this before, we can do it again.”

“I know,” she whispered, not moving away from him. As much as they fought and didn’t get along sometimes, he was always there for her when it came to two things, parenting and perspective. He was a good dad, she’d never accuse him of being anything less. Liam always came first to him and Jamie and Tyler always made decisions together. He was also the only person who could sit Jamie down and tell her exactly what she was trying to ignore.

She was scared. Damn right, she was scared. For the first time, she had an amazing opportunity to work with Steve Yzerman, a man that she had idolized since she was a kid, and the Tampa Bay Lightning after working for years with the Ottawa Senators. It was all potentially ruined by her being three months pregnant. That would put her due date somewhere around late March and no team in their right mind would want to lose their head athletic trainer right before the playoffs. At least when she was pregnant with Liam she wasn’t due until July 1st, so she had the entire season to work and then only took maternity leave until December. This time, she didn’t have such luck.

He was right though. They had done well, so far, with Liam, they could do it again. They had worked well together, making every big decision together, keeping updates and schedules. She had to admit, if she had to pick anyone to have a baby with, he was definitely top 25.

Finally, she settled down, only sniffling a few times. Jamie slid away from Tyler and laid down on one side of her bed. He followed her, laying down on the other and taking her hand. They laid there in silence for a long time, listening to Liam play with his Aunt Lexa just outside the door. He was the most perfect child in the world and they created him, how could they go wrong the second time?

“I want to try something,” Tyler whispered. Jamie looked over at him, silent. He leaned over and gently pressed his lips to hers. Confused, she didn’t kiss him back. When he moved away from her, he smiled a bit. “I knew you wouldn’t kiss me.”

“Then why did you try?”

“Because I know you and I wanted to prove it to myself before I told you what I really want to try,” Jamie frowned but, didn’t let go of his hand or move away. She just waited for him to continue. “I know you always say no and you don’t want to be only together because of Liam but, maybe this is a sign to try it at least once. We don’t have to tell Liam right away, we already hang out the three of us loads anyway. He’ll never know the difference.”

“That’s a stupid idea,” she said immediately, turning to stare up at the ceiling. He always asked on Liam’s birthday and Tyler’s birthday for her to marry him and she always blew him off. He always said he was serious but, she always took it as a joke. Then when Taylor Hall admitted to only dating Jamie to get back at Tyler, he broke his ribs and he stopped being mean to her like he usually was. She looked over at him again, “are you going to come with me to tell my parents so, they actually believe me this time?”

Tyler just nodded, staring back at her. The first time she had gotten pregnant, her dad thought she was lying. It wasn’t until he walked into the delivery room where Tyler was sitting, holding Liam, did her dad believe her. She sighed and then whispered, “okay, we’ll try it.”

“Sweet, it only took three years and promise to be there when your dad decides he wants to kill me,” but Tyler was still smiling when he leaned over to kiss her again.