Hate You so Much

Boom. Dead.

Jaime almost punched Tyler in the throat as they sat in his car outside of her parents’ house. He kept looking up at the windows, gripping the steering wheel tighter, “what if I just drop you off?”

“You promised me we’d tell them together,” she told him, as patiently as she could possibly muster. Liam was asleep in the back, the ride from Tyler’s to Jaime’s parents was just long enough for him to doze off.

“He’s going to kill me,” Tyler whispered, turning to stare at her. She snorted and rolled her eyes. He was so overdramatic sometimes. They had already told his parents and her mother and step-father about their second child and pending relationship but, telling her dad and step-mom had always proven to be the hardest.

“If he hasn’t yet, he’s not going to,” she answered, placing her hand on his. “Seriously, you’re the one who wanted to be together, this is what people who are together do when one of them, me, gets pregnant. You deal with the fact that my father might invite you into his garage where he’ll tear you limb from limb.”

Tyler’s face went white, “really?”

“No, now get out. You’re going to have to carry Liam. He’s going to be a bear when I wake him,” Jaime warned before turning in the seat and grabbing her sons little leg. “Liam, baby, wake up. We’re at Grandpapa’s and Nannie’s.”

This was her favourite part, watching his little eyes flicker open and blink until he realizes he’s no longer dreaming. Even though he was three now, those little moments will always remind her of when he first opened his eyes in her arms. It was just the two of them for so many months and those first minutes of his life, she got to see the boy she created. He was all hers. Then the devilish smile crosses over him and he was Tyler, through and through.

She watched him take her little boy out of the car, hoist him up in his arm and grab his little back pack full of clothes. She couldn’t help but, smile at them- so this was what having a little family was like.

--

“Glad you could make it to the party,” Jaime looked up from where she was putting water wings on Liam. Her big sister, Sarah, stood over her, a big smile on her face. Quickly, Sarah reached down and scooped up Liam in her arms, “how’s my favourite nephew?”

“Auntie CeCe!” and he was off, pressing his little hands against Sarah’s face, making her lips squish together. As predicted by everyone in their family, Jaime had gotten pregnant first but, Sarah had gotten married first. Sarah was the conventional one out of the two of them, always doing things the right way instead of the messy way.

Sarah laughed and put Liam down, who instantly ran and jumped into the water with Jaime’s cousins who were 10 and 9 years old. Both girls watched for a second, making sure he floated to the top, and then turned their attention back to each other. “So, you finally bit the bullet and said yes to him, eh?”

“What?” Jaime stuttered out, just before a hand touched down on her lower back. She jumped, looking up at Tyler. “Were you too conspiring against me?”

“Yes,” Sarah spoke up before Tyler could. He kind of just nodded, “he really likes you for some reason and I wanted Liam to see his dad more often, sue me.”

“Would if I could,” Jaime snarled at her. She turned to Tyler, “what’s up, traitor?”

“Uh, one, don’t be a little bitch,” he snapped at her. “Two, we have to go talk to your parents.”

Sarah whistled the jaws theme song in Jaime’s ear. She was already irritated enough so, she checked the way and then gave Sarah a good enough shove that she fell in the pool before dragging Tyler over to her parents.

“Daddy, Samantha, we have two things we have to tell you,” She started but, was caught off by her Dad taking a step towards them and Tyler flinching so hard that he jumped back. She instantly started to laugh, “never mind, by that little move, can you guess?”

Her Dad stared at Tyler, “is one that you’re pregnant again?” Tyler froze, only his eyes moved. Samantha started to laugh as well. He nodded slowly and then held up his hands in terror. “You’re a hockey player, Tyler, take it like a man.”

“I know but, we’re also dating so, I’d like to point out that if you hit me, I could be your future son-in-law in a couple years,” Tyler blurted out. Jaime turned and punched him in the shoulder.

“You idiot!” The four of them were silent for a second, letting her parents process everything. Finally, Samantha reached out and hugged them both.

“Congrats you guys,” She kissed Tyler’s cheek before turning and hitting her husband in the stomach. Jaime’s Dad finally stepped up.

“Congrats, kid,” he wrapped his arms around his daughter and held her there. He then turned and did the same for Tyler but, Jaime could definitely hear his words of warning, “you hurt her one more time, Seguin, and I’ll murder you. Jaime is big enough to be both Liam’s mother and father. She doesn’t need you, you need her, got it?”

“I already knew that, sir.”