Dark Blue

Blood and Coffee

Damon woke with a start from his bed. He was in a deep sleep only to be woken by a horrible dream. Normally those things didn't bother him, but this one, it just seemed too real and too personal.
He knew he was awake but still couldn't shake the feeling. Couldn't shake the sounds.

He heard the crunching of metal,the shattering glass, the squeeling tires and a scream.

Her scream.

It was her scream that woke him from his sleep. He just had to know. His fingers searched his contacts while he waited for her voice to answer.

A thousand miles and another city away, steady rain fell over the city as I lay in bed with Elijah next to me. His arms draped loosely on my sides as the morning storm passed through the busy city. The weatherman last night said it would only last these early morning hours. I half wished it would stay like this all day even though I couldn't stay in all day.

No, instead it was my last day of working on choreography for now a new group of kids before I left. I did get offered a job and while I had a lot of fun working out here, I wanted to be back in Mystic Falls for the time being.

Slowly, I moved myself away from the sleeping frame of Elijah to get out of bed to find clothes. I needed coffee and really didn't want to wake him. Mainly I just wanted t walk in the rain alone, just letting it cool my skin before I faced the day.

This morning I decided on jeans, boots, a tank top, and a black hoodie to head down to the local coffee shop. I grabbed my keys before locking the door and heading out to the street below me. It was a slow morning on the streets of the city, mainly the overpowered businessmen were rushing into cabs and their cars as to not get wet from the falling rain.

It's not like they'd melt from the falling rain but then again, maybe they would. Maybe that's why the strange glances were tossed towards me.

Either way, I made my way into the Starbucks, shaking off the rain when I heard my phone ring in my pocket. Glancing down at the screen, I seen Damon's name flash across it.

"A bit early for you, isn't it Damon?" I smirked into the phone as I stood off to the side to talk to him.

"Funny," He grumbled into the phone.

"Checking up on me?" I questioned as I watched people walk by. "I mean it would make sense since you're such good friends with my dad's family."

"No," He half snapped. "For one, you know what I'm doing on the council and two, I honestly think you're better off distancing yourself from them."

"Aw, you almost care," I teased on the phone.

"Don't," Damon warned. "You know the truth."

"Ah yes, the he actually cares but is too cool to admit. The same thing you do with Elena," I reminded him as it got silent on the other end.

"No, it's different," He mumbled but then the last part trailed off which I didn't understand.

"Why'd you call Damon?" I mindlessly ran my fingers along the edge of the empty chair next to me.

"Nothing," He replied simply but that was far from the truth.

"Like hell," I rolled my eyes. "What is it?"

"You're not driving, are you?" He questioned.

"No," I let out a small giggle. "I'm in a coffee shop, getting my latte and some black coffee for someone."

"Good, don't drive today," He threatened.

"And how am I going to get to work?" I let the slight annoyance rise in my voice.

"Take a cab," Damon replied cooly.

"Yeah not everyone wants to take a cab," I mocked.

"Bus?" He suggested.

"No," I rolled my eyes again.

"Walk?" Damon added.

"Yeah that's what I'm going to do, Damon, walk," I let the sarcasm drip off my voice."Damon, what's going on?"

"Nothing just a bad dream," Damon shook the thought from his head. "Just promise me, you'll be careful."

"I promise," I smirked at the thought but then heard the silence which made me realize he was serius. "Damon, I swear to you, I'll be home in a few days."

"Just don't do anything stupid," He sighed.

"I won't," I smiled only to hear the silence again. "Hey, maybe we can get lunch when I get back?"

"Sounds good," Damon added. "Enjoy your coffee."

"I will," I smiled as I finally made my way up to the coffee counter to place my order.

It didn't take me long to get the coffee and my latte as I stepped out onto the now just cloudy streets. The rain had slowed down and the after rain humidity was building. I hated it, it made my hair completely frizzed out. Not to mention, rain was just more fun to be outside during. Making my way back up to the apartment, I balanced the cups in my hand while unlocking the door with the other one.

Once I got into my apartment, Elijah was now up watching sitting on the couch with the TV playing some weather report. I smiled as I sat down on the kitchen island then walked over towards the couch to sit next to him on my knees.

"Sorry it took so long," I smiled lightly at him. "A friend from home called, he was worried about me."

"I wasn't worried," He brushed a wet strand of hair out of my face. "You don't look too thrilled."

"It's more annoying," I sighed as I propped my arm up on the couch and rested my head on my hand. "I try to escape home sometimes but I guess you can't entirely escape it."

"I think it's nice that someone worries about you so much. It shows they really do care," He watched me as I shrugged.

"I guess," I shugged with a bit of a frown.

"You guess?" Elijah raised an eyebrow.

"Maybe the one person I want to worry about me isn't back at home," My fingers slowly ran along Elijah's leg.

"Maybe they do," His fingers grabbed mine. "And maybe, just maybe-"

"No more talking," I smirked as I leant up to kiss him quickly. "Maybe he wants me to live a normal life but deep down that'll never happen and he knows that too."

Elijah just smirked before leaning in to kiss me again, slowly pulling me closer to him when my mind thought back to our coffee. I stopped kissing and moved back just slightly as he gave me a strange look.

"The coffee's getting cold," I smiled at him as he hung his head and I got up from the couch. "I got you black coffee."

I made my way to the counter to sip on my warm raspberry latte and opened the lid to Elijah's cup as he turned to watch me. I knew his eyes were on me but mine didn't meet his just yet. I picked up the small pocket knife that was on the counter top and flicked the blade open. Slowly I made an incision into my palm and winced just slightly as the blade cut deep into my flesh. Carefully, I let the blood flow from my hand drain into the cup and then mixed it in with the coffee.

Elijah walked over to me to as I smiled lightly at him knowing he didn't really want me to feed him although I've done it so many times since I've met him. I thought he was going to reach from the cup when he lifted my hand as slowly pressed it to his lips. I felt him suck on the open wound slowly draining the blood from my veins.

"Elijah," I whispered quietly as he still feed from me but he didn't stop. "Elijah."

Elijah moved away from me, pushing my hand back towards me and turnin his body away from me as I moved slowly over to him. I softly wrapped my arms around him as he slowly turned to face me.

"I'm sorry," He spoke softly.

"No, I started it," I played with his fingers now only to have a silence fall between us.

"I want to show you something," He looked at me as our eye met.

"What?" I watched as he took my hand and lead me to the couch.

"Don't be afraid," Elijah watched my eyes as he bit into his wrist slowly then holding it up towards me. "Drink."

"I-" I stammered.

"It won't turn you, unless you die within the next twenty four hours," He mentioned as I nodded but I already knew that.

"I know," I sighed. "You explained it to me before. And I've got a few vampire friends."

"It'll heal that cut on your hand that you happened to cut too deep," He kept eye contact with me.

"You knew?" I looked down at my hand then back at him.

"Trust me, it'll need stitches and I'm not so sure the ER will be so sympathetic about how you got that cut," He watched me. "You have my word, I won't kill you."

I slowly let his wrist touch my lips half nervous about tasting blood and how gross it would be but that wasn't the case. As his blood touched my tongue and moved down my throat, the sweet taste blocked out the coppery taste that one might get from their own blood. Kind of like if you lost a tooth or got hit in the face and tasted your own blood. That weird salty coppery taste that just made you want to use mouth wash over and over again. But Elijah, no his blood was sweet. Sweet like it was sweetened with one of those honey marinades that my mother used to make when I was a kid.

Elijah pulled his wrist away from me slowly as I caught my breath then remembered what he said about my hand. I looked down to see the blood slowly fading back into my hand and the wound closing.

"Whoa," I whispered out loud and only heard Elijah chuckle. "Now I just can't die for a day, shouldn't be too hard."

"Of course not," He watched me as I looked at me hand again then let against the side of the couch before he leant forward to kiss me again then quickly pick me to to move me back to my room before I had to go into work.