Dark Blue

The Awakening

The city streets were dark, only lit by the surrounding lamp posts and a few signs on buildings but for the most part, darkness fell over the city and most importantly the alleyways. I followed Elijah down a dark alley, taking in my new senses, how I coud hear everything, smell everything, it was just weird.

"What happens if I don't eat?" I questioned him while I walked behind him.

"Then you'll die," He mentioned, barely looking at me. "And I'm not about to let you die. I shouldn't of let you drink my blood in the first place, so I'm fixing my mistake."

"Mistake? You didn't hit my car," I questioned. "Or crush my rib cage in, or stab me."

"No, but you knew it was going to happen," He mentioned coldly as I gave his back a strange look.

"What the hell are you talking about?" My voice raised a little. "Like I planned dying all out?"

"You knew you were being followed," Elijah kicked a can before turning to look at me. "So you used me in order to keep yourself alive."

"Yeah, Elijah, that's my plan all along," I glared at him and my anger rose. "I planned to find you, fall in love, and use you just to become the one thing I didn't want to be."

"I found your journal," Elijah countered as my heart broke a bit since I did slightly just lay my heart on the line.

"Really? So you think that me, investigating my family's death is my whole purpose of being out here?" I crossed my arms at him. 'If we're having this conversation than maybe it's better that I don't eat and I go home right now and say my goodbyes to everyone."

I turned my back to Elijah and started to walk down the alley back to the street when I felt a force push me against the wall. It was a side of Elijah I hadn't seen before, he was strong, really strong and powerful. Yet he used it in a way that seemed so effortless. Damn, he still looked hot pissed off and I could't help but to be starving.

His eyes stared deeply into mine for a few minutes while he had me pinned against the wall. I swallowed hard waiting for him to say something or to hurt me.

Instead some lowlife walked down at the alley at the exact same time that this scene was happening.

"That's right keep that bitch in line," The guy laughed as Elijah gave me a quick look then turned in a flash towards the guy and drove his fangs into his neck.

He brought his head up with blood dripping down his chin and held the guy out for me. He was scared, shaking but Elijah held him towards me. Slowly, I walked towards the man's body as Elijah handed him over to me.

"Please," The man whispered into the dark.

"Don't completely drain him," Elijah whispered into my ear then looked at the man. "And you, you're not going to remember a thing when you leave this alley. You got attacked by a homeless man after you stole money from him."

"I stole a homeless man's money," He mumbled.

"Good," Elijah smiled as I felt the blood fill my senses, it was the only thing I could think of.

I sunk my teeth into the man's neck, finding that it wasn't as gross as it would seem. It just seemed so natural now and it made the hunger pangs slowly disappear. Not to mention the soreness from the cuts on my body was now melting away.

"That's enough Melinda," Elijah mentioned as I moved but still felt hungry.

"But I'm so hungry," I whined as the guy in the alley ran off and away from us.

"I know," Was all he said as he started to walk away.

"Elijah, wait," I called out to have him stop and turn towards me. "I'm sorry."

His body tensed a little as I slowly moved forward to him but no expressions changed on his face.

"I'm sorrry I didn't tell you about the journal and everything," I hung my head. "But to be fair, you've only known me for two months. You didn't expect to know everything about me, did you? And I am being honest with you that I didn't plan this. I don't know who's after me or why. I tried to fight back tonight but my body wouldn't let me."

He didn't say anything but turned to look at me. His eyes met mine in soft expression and I knew that it was safe to approach him. I slowly made my way over to his body and wrapped my arms around his waist. I hugged him slightly when I felt him finally hug back.

"Please don't be mad," I mumbled against his chest.

"You're leaving in two days right?" He questioned.

"Don't remind me," I sighed as I still held onto him.

"Come on, I want to show you something," Elijah smiled as he lifted my chin and took my hand.

In a flash we were on top of the Sears or well Willis Tower now. He held me close to him, resting his head on my shoulder as we looked out over the city.

"It's gorgeous," I whispered with a smile on my face.

"I'm glad you like it," He mentioned as I turned to look at him.

"You standing here with me makes it even better," I watched as his eyes flashed towards me. "Despite how old you are."

"Ouch," He fake glared at me. "You know, I was thinking of forgiving you but now....I'm not so sure."

"You're such a jerk," I playfully elbowed him. "Promise me that after tonight, I'll still see you."

"You will," Elijah kissed my cheek.

After a few more minutes of standing there and watching the city, we both headed back to my apartment where Elijah went over all these rules about being a vampire and what I needed to know. He told me that I had to still drink blood in some form or another in order to stay alive, that I could compell people just not other vampires, only special vampires could, werewolf bites kill, vervain kills, basically everything that Stefan and Damon have told me before. But this time, it was well personal. He also told me that he'd get me a ring to walk during the day in the morning since he knew a witch in town who could do it. Something he also told me that no one else knew was if you killed an original that the entire bloodline would die.

"So that means if you die that I'll die," I questioned as my eyes met his.

"Yes," Elijah's eyes locked onto mine. "But it does get complicated."

"You make this seem almost like it's just a curse," I rolled my eyes.

"Because it is a curse, there is nothing fun about being a vampire," Elijah spoke darkly.

"Seriously?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "Nothing?"

"Maybe a few things but watching your loved ones die before you isn't fun," He pointed out.

"Most everyone I love is either gone or a vampire already," I shrugged. "And those who aren't, well I don't know."

"It gets lonely," His eyes drifted down slightly.

"Are you telling me now that you're lonely?" I raised his chin to look at my eyes. "A pretty girl's spent time with you for two months and you still feel lonely?"

"It's been the first time I haven't in a long time," He slowly touched my cheek. "But there's so much mystery to you and your family."

"Then help me figure it out," My hands took his. "I've been trying to for years but I always end up at a dead end, and sort of literally now but-"

"Cute," Elijah smirked.

"I know," I flashed him a quick smile. "It's what I do best."

"I'll help you as long as you're honest with me from now on," Elijah's eye scanned mine as I bit my lip.

"You have my word," I nodded.

Elijah smirked as he kissed my lips lightly before taking my hand to show me, my new world before I headed back to Mystic Falls. It was the only other night of freedom I would have before I'd have to go home an try to keep this vampire thing hidden. Which in reality was going to be easier said then done.